www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Community Forums > Video-Games, Consoles and Related Discussions

Old 18-01-12, 15:22   #21
Eddie Haskell
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Encore View Post
I want to play the demo. Unfortunately, after I start a new game, all I can see is the UI. Videos and in game are completely black screens.

Edit: just checked the forums, seems to be a conflict with AMD cards. Not very encouraging.
I am in the same boat, I'll have to figure out how to get it running properly. And yes, it's not very encouraging for this game.
Old 18-01-12, 22:55   #22
SirPlagueRat
Explorer

Ah, this is quite fun!
I might buy it sometime in the future, after the price drops, maybe... I really can't afford to buy it right now.
Old 19-01-12, 00:29   #23
trlestew
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Haskell View Post
I am in the same boat, I'll have to figure out how to get it running properly. And yes, it's not very encouraging for this game.
You either have to force or disable AA in your GPU settings or something.
Old 24-01-12, 01:39   #24
trlestew
Tomb Raider

Eh, I gave the demo another try. Here's my overview on it.

After the opening, you start the game in a coffin being transported somewhere. You're then prompted to create your character, even though they're "dead". You're given a fair amount of options between four races, two genders, and a combat specialty. (Which does not restrict your powers in anyway) You can cycle through templates, or directly customize your characters facial appearance through numerous sliders. It reminded me of a limited version of the editor in Oblivion. After making my character, the coffin unveils itself to show my "dead" character being dumped into a pit full of rotting corpses. After waking up from what seemed to be an extreme coma, you are free to roam this cavern-like area. Here is where I noticed one of the game's downfalls, invisible walls. The tutorial area is very linear with only a few small branching paths, and designated spots for you to jump as you can not jump at your own will. For a tutorial, linearity is expected, but I was expecting a bit more freedom. As you venture along, you discover weapons of different types, such as longswords,daggers and bows. Your character has two weapon slots, a primary slot and a secondary slot. you can switch your weapons however you want, but you can not swap them out on the go. You must manually equip and un-equip the ones you want through the inventory every time. It's not a major issues, but a quickslot system would have worked better. Swords function as expected, bows can be fired rapidly (and recharge automatically?), and daggers can be used for stealth kills. The tutorial gladly explains all of this. Combat is a nice hack n' slash mix with two weapons, a shield, magic attacks, and 'reckoning' mode, a sort of 'bullet-time' mode where your enemies slow down, and you can literally tear them apart in Mortal Kombat style gore. In the demo, there was not a whole lot of skill involved, but then again, enemies aren't exactly challenging in a tutorial. Each kill slowly fills up your XP bar at the bottom. Once it fills up, you gain a level and some skill points to spend on skills ranging in three different classes.

Once you finish the tutorial mode, you are out in a very high-fantasy inspired forestry environment with so much bloom your eyes will bleed...okay I'm exaggerating. The aesthetics look nice, but it does not really cover the fact that the graphics are rather outdated for those who care a lot about graphics. The 'open-world' is not...open. It's still linear, except the area was broader and had more branching paths. It's not a straight line, but it's not similar to a Bethesda RPG either. There was a lot to explore in the demo (It has a 45 minute time limit so I couldn't explore everything) so the linearity isn't exactly a bad thing.There were even caves and bandit hideouts available to explore. After the tutorial, you are able to take on side quests from the numerous NPCs around the area,go into shops to buy/sell or craft armor or potions, or just explore looting chests and slaying the local wildlife. The shops are your standard affair you would expect in an RPG. Similar to Oblivion, you can gather alchemy ingredients form the numerous plants outside and craft them into various potions based on experimenting, or using recipes you can purchase.

On the bad side of things, the loot system is kind of silly. It works fine for chests or other containers, but you can not always loot what is actually on an NPC, if at all. same goes for weapon racks. For example, in the tutorial there is a weapon rack with axes,swords and other weapons. What do I do? Loot it to pull out a shield, and only a shield. Something else which bothered me was how simplified things were. yes, it was only a demo, and you are given a lot of character customization in terms of stats and powers, but the game did not feel to have the depth of more notable RPGs. The worst of all were the glitches. Numerous times I found that the level geometry just failed to load all the way, and I was standing in a empty void of glitched graphics. Occasionally, some cutscenes would not start, and a weird, flat wedge would appear at some areas when in combat. Attacking friendly NPCs is also something that needs to be worked on. Say, you whack a guard with a sword. They give you the "STOP RIGHT THERE, CRIMINAL SCUM!" rundown and you're given the option to go to jail, bribe them to release you, or resist arrest (sound familiar?). If you resist arrest, all the guards in the town magically find you, hunt you down, and try to kill you. Once you start fighting, you can not stop. There are no options to yield, and NPCs will always cower in fear once you get near them. Lastly, once you die, you can just instantly spring back at full health by choosing "resurrect" with NO consequences. I seriously hope these were exclusive to the demo and fixed in the full game as I did hear that this was an early build.

Overall, I will wait for some reviews, and a price drop. Although the combat was fun, and the game seems deep content wise, I'm just not convinced yet.

On a side note, developer Big Huge Games is not located too far from Bethesda, they're in the same state.

Last edited by trlestew; 24-01-12 at 01:45.
trlestew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-12, 01:46   #25
Eddie Haskell
Tomb Raider

^Thanks for the very fine review! And it doesn't sound like a game ready to challenge the really "big huge games" of the genre...
Old 24-01-12, 01:55   #26
trlestew
Tomb Raider

Ironic, isn't?
It doesn't seem like a bad game. They just shouldn't be claiming that it can rival something like Skyrim.

Really looking forward to a review as I believe the developers actually apologized for releasing a demo in such a glitched, limited state. The full game must be much better than the demo in terms of polish and glitches.
Old 24-01-12, 10:07   #27
Trigger_happy
Relic Hunter

I was just going to ask if anyone had found any glitches in the demo. I downloaded it last week and it was terrible. The sound cut out half-way through the demo, so I played on in silence. The conversations skipped themselves every time, so I had no clue what I was meant to be doing. Enemies got stuck in the scenery and became invincible. Bits of buildings kept appearing every time I fought boggles or whatever they were called. The bow wouldn't perform charged attacks, instead getting stuck in the charging animation until you rolled. Stuff like that generally.

Apart from that, I thought it was alright. I'm not really into the hack-and-slash kind of RPG, but I thought I'd give it a go.
Old 24-01-12, 15:16   #28
Tear
Tomb Raider

I've played the demo about 4 times now and every time, except for the first, there's been a bad glitch.

The full game better fix this.
Old 24-01-12, 15:17   #29
Carbonek_0051

It's okay, I had some glitches all the way through though. Also, I like how people are comparing this to Oblivion & Skyrim, I just went into it expecting a new RPG experience. No need to start comparing it to other RPG's.

Anyway, I might get it later this year. I have other games on my list.
Carbonek_0051 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-12, 16:45   #30
Eddie Haskell
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbonek_0051 View Post
It's okay, I had some glitches all the way through though. Also, I like how people are comparing this to Oblivion & Skyrim, I just went into it expecting a new RPG experience. No need to start comparing it to other RPG's.

Anyway, I might get it later this year. I have other games on my list.
I understood from trlestew's post that the designers themselves made such comparisons. I don't ever care about or read this stuff about games myself, but if true they may be setting the bar too high for their game and may receive extra criticism for such statements.