www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Community Forums > General Chat > Debate and Political Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-03-12, 11:44   #1
Cochrane
Silver Contributor
 
Cochrane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: In Germany Gender: I'm male Classification: Evil
Posts: 13,531
Default What is Spirituality?

The current Science vs. Religion thread includes not only religion, but spirituality, and I know many people make a distinction between religion and spirituality. That raises a problem: What is spirituality? I have no real clue. Wikipedia says:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Spirituality can refer to an ultimate or an alleged immaterial reality;[1] an inner path enabling a person to discover the essence of his/her being; or the “deepest values and meanings by which people live.”[2]
which is too vague to be a useful answer; I also get the impression that spirituality means something different for every person.

So: What is spirituality to you?
__________________
Güter auf die Bahn!
Cochrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-12, 11:54   #2
Avalon SARL
Professor
 
Avalon SARL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Lebanon
Posts: 4,067
Default

I really don' know, but I can tel what I think.

Being a religious person with a very deep faith and love to GOD, my spirituality comes from love to my religion.

Spirituality is to be aware of how things happen around you and why they really happen. It is having an insight about everything around you and eventually have some sort of sense on why a certain event is taking place; why someone is crying and why some horrible incident or misfortune happened to someone else instead of giving COINCIDENCE as a solution.

It may also be related to your feelings, and finding peace and happiness regardless from all the misfortunes that may happen to you.

Sometimes I can also be aware of certain events that are going to happen later and make a decision based on that

At least that is how I see it.
Hope I made any sense
__________________
YEAH YEAH WHATEVER...

Last edited by Avalon SARL; 01-03-12 at 11:57.
Avalon SARL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-12, 11:59   #3
Ikas90
Globetrotter
 
Ikas90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Italy ♂
Posts: 20,616
Default

The problem with religion is that it is a structured belief system, specifically made for other people to follow. Religion can contain a lot of stories that I believe are misleading. When people start telling you to follow their faith because it's the only "correct" one, I know they are full of it. The worst thing about it, is it instills fear into other people to pressure them into following it.

Spirituality focuses more on your inner self. It's being able to clear your mind and see the world from an unbiased point of view. It's about getting rid of your ego. It's about finding yourself on your own, and finding out your own meaning to life. Your belief doesn't hold much value if it was forced upon you. True believers make the effort to search for meaning themselves.

It's nothing you can really understand properly until you've been on that path yourself.

What Buddha said, and I agree with:

"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense."

I've explained it in another thread too:

Quote:
Religion

Religion is something that's external. It's nothing but a structured set of belief systems. It's a constitution, like any other, that can be abused and used to control the masses. It is there for people who don't allow themselves to question or think for themselves, sticking to only one avenue. They are not searchers for the truth, whatever that may be. They don't even try. They just stick to what they were raised to believe in. I would sooner think that if there is a God, he would prefer us to be more open-minded and question ourselves, rather than simply rely on an external source that they were told to abide by by their parents.

Spirituality

Spirituality is something that's internal. It's more about yourself and your own beliefs on the meaning of your life, who you are, and why you live this life. You can believe in a God. You can be a free-spirited free-thinker. It's much more about self-awareness, where you can be aware of your karma and how you live your life, as well as self-acceptance, where your ego is removed and you're able to look at yourself from a completely unbiased perspective.

Life is a journey, not a destination. That's according to spirituality. To religion, it's the other way around, where life is about reaching a destination. I think if you treat it that way, you will be constantly chasing something and that will never end, nor get you anywhere.
__________________
Success starts with believing in yourself.

Last edited by Ikas90; 01-03-12 at 12:35.
Ikas90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-12, 12:48   #4
Avalon SARL
Professor
 
Avalon SARL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Lebanon
Posts: 4,067
Default

I am sorry but whoever put that identification for Religion knows nothing probably about Religion, because Islam you have to think and question everything, even GOD himself
__________________
YEAH YEAH WHATEVER...

Last edited by Avalon SARL; 01-03-12 at 13:43.
Avalon SARL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-12, 12:56   #5
patriots88888
Tomb Raider
 
patriots88888's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 17,933
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cochrane View Post
What is spirituality to you?
That would be my personal relationship with my Lord and savior, Jesus Christ. Hope that isn't too vague for you because I don't know of any better way of conveying my thoughts/feelings on it.
__________________
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice! :)
patriots88888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-12, 13:01   #6
tampi
Tomb Raider
 
tampi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: in other planet
Posts: 20,813
Default

I believe that anyone who can think within her/himself, is a spiritual person.
Then there is the degree of inner thought that that person is able to reach or like to achieve or whatever.
Everyone has their own spirituality. Each devotes that part of life to fill it up with some or other ideas and with a determined(particular) level of thinking.
__________________
Retweet #TombRaider

Last edited by tampi; 01-03-12 at 13:04.
tampi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-12, 17:47   #7
Cochrane
Silver Contributor
 
Cochrane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: In Germany Gender: I'm male Classification: Evil
Posts: 13,531
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon SARL View Post
I really don' know, but I can tel what I think.

Being a religious person with a very deep faith and love to GOD, my spirituality comes from love to my religion.

Spirituality is to be aware of how things happen around you and why they really happen. It is having an insight about everything around you and eventually have some sort of sense on why a certain event is taking place; why someone is crying and why some horrible incident or misfortune happened to someone else instead of giving COINCIDENCE as a solution.

It may also be related to your feelings, and finding peace and happiness regardless from all the misfortunes that may happen to you.

Sometimes I can also be aware of certain events that are going to happen later and make a decision based on that

At least that is how I see it.
Hope I made any sense
Yes, it made!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikas90 View Post
The problem with religion is that it is a structured belief system, specifically made for other people to follow. Religion can contain a lot of stories that I believe are misleading. When people start telling you to follow their faith because it's the only "correct" one, I know they are full of it. The worst thing about it, is it instills fear into other people to pressure them into following it.

Spirituality focuses more on your inner self. It's being able to clear your mind and see the world from an unbiased point of view. It's about getting rid of your ego. It's about finding yourself on your own, and finding out your own meaning to life. Your belief doesn't hold much value if it was forced upon you. True believers make the effort to search for meaning themselves.

It's nothing you can really understand properly until you've been on that path yourself.

What Buddha said, and I agree with:

"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense."

I've explained it in another thread too:
So basically, spirituality is a sort of belief system or faith, but an internal one that others do not (necessarily) share?

Quote:
Originally Posted by patriots88888 View Post
That would be my personal relationship with my Lord and savior, Jesus Christ. Hope that isn't too vague for you because I don't know of any better way of conveying my thoughts/feelings on it.
I think that kind of spirituality is easy to understand; I'm in particular wondering about the people who say that spirituality is (for them) something different from religion or religious faith.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tampi View Post
I believe that anyone who can think within her/himself, is a spiritual person.
Then there is the degree of inner thought that that person is able to reach or like to achieve or whatever.
Everyone has their own spirituality. Each devotes that part of life to fill it up with some or other ideas and with a determined(particular) level of thinking.
That sounds similar to what Ikas said, isn't it?
__________________
Güter auf die Bahn!
Cochrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-12, 18:16   #8
tampi
Tomb Raider
 
tampi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: in other planet
Posts: 20,813
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cochrane View Post
That sounds similar to what Ikas said, isn't it?
Quite similar. Yes.
On issues like this, I tend to be close enough to the thoughts of Ikas, yes.
__________________
Retweet #TombRaider
tampi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-12, 18:46   #9
t-raider26
Professor
 
t-raider26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Coney Island
Posts: 4,046
Default

Spirituality is when you can, like, see ghosts and stuff.
I'm kidding. But this girl in my class answered with that when my teacher asked this question.
__________________
I'm faking glory.
t-raider26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-12, 00:14   #10
Ikas90
Globetrotter
 
Ikas90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Italy ♂
Posts: 20,616
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon SARL View Post
I am sorry but whoever put that identification for Religion knows nothing probably about Religion, because Islam you have to think and question everything, even GOD himself
My bad. What I meant was there are many people who don't even so much as question their faith, they just accept it without thinking it over. If you do that, your belief has no value. Religion is fine, but there are lines to cross when it comes to irrational thinking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cochrane View Post
So basically, spirituality is a sort of belief system or faith, but an internal one that others do not (necessarily) share?
It's not really a belief 'system' at all, it's a divine connection with which anyone can tune into. No mystical godly figures or stereotypes of God, just a divine connection with the most direct source; your consciousness and nature. Of course, I believe consciousness is a lot more than just synapses firing in your brain, and that's where spirituality or pretty much any religion can come in. Spirituality is about being able to let go and free your mind entirely from any bias. Religion isn't necessary. Religion doesn't even need to exist; you can always be spiritual, with or without religion ever being known to man.
__________________
Success starts with believing in yourself.

Last edited by Ikas90; 02-03-12 at 00:18.
Ikas90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT. The time now is 00:33.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.