www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Community Forums > General Chat > Debate and Political Discussion

Old 02-03-12, 22:22   #1
Catracoth

Default Government Funded Birth Control

It was brought to my attention today, and I figured it'd be an interesting topic to discuss. I'm not sure if it's happening already or if it's planned, but apparently, people are fighting for the government to fund birth control, and that means the money will most definitely come from taxpayers.

What's your standpoint on it?

Personally, I'm not too thrilled about the idea.
While I'm sure it'd be nice for women to get free or even cheaper birth control in lieu of the health benefits and whatnot, I'm still somewhat cynical about the people who will use this nicety to fund their sexual habits.

Regardless, as long as they don't take out too much money from my taxes to do this, I haven't any qualms.
Catracoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-12, 23:11   #2
interstellardave
Tomb Raider

A one-time payment of, say, $1,000 (convert to any local currency) for a woman to be sterilized would save the Western nations a hell of a lot of money in the long run. I say "sterilized" because that's the only effective birth control in this situation... and it won't bleed tax-payers dry. And, if sterilization sounds harsh, remember it would be completely optional.
Old 02-03-12, 23:28   #3
Cochrane
Silver Contributor

The pill does have medical uses, and I think it is okay (and in fact should be required) to have medical insurances cover it at least for those uses. When it is really just about contraception, I don't think think is really qualifies as a health expense, so I would probably not cover it, but an wouldn't mind if it were covered either.

I'd have to ask someone who knows more, but if I recall correctly, in Germany, the pill is covered for girls under eighteen. I think that makes sense; society as a while does not really benefit from teenage pregnancies, and just trying to prevent teenagers from having sex is hardly going to work.
Old 02-03-12, 23:32   #4
Rai

What do you mean by 'fund their sexual habits'? Birth control is free on the NHS here anyway and it's (mostly) safe and monitored by a woman's GP. There are some who may overuse the morning after pill and I believe a woman can get this over the counter or will be able to soon, but mostly a woman needs a prescription from her GP depending on the type. The pill has health benefits and it can help regulate periods etc. I don't know how it'll work over there, maybe in a similar way to how it does here, with prescriptions etc. At the end of the day, if birth control is cheaper or free, isn't that better than women who maybe can't afford it having abortions or young girls having teen pregnancies etc? Obviously birth control is already available over there, but if it's free it's more widely available.

Last edited by Rai; 02-03-12 at 23:34.
Rai is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-12, 23:35   #5
Catracoth

When I said fund their sexual habits, I mean, I'm not happy about my money being used to buy birth control and use it to avoid pregnancy so they can have sex left and right.
Old 02-03-12, 23:37   #6
Ward Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cochrane View Post
The pill does have medical uses, and I think it is okay (and in fact should be required) to have medical insurances cover it at least for those uses. When it is really just about contraception, I don't think think is really qualifies as a health expense, so I would probably not cover it, but an wouldn't mind if it were covered either.
I agree completely. I had a benign ovarian tumor and had to have my ovary removed, so I've been on birth control pills for about a year now for medical reasons to keep my hormones balanced while my body adjusts to the change. And one of my brother's friends has anemia and needs to be on the pill to help regulate her menstrual cycle so that she doesn't lose too much blood. There are definitely valid medical reasons for someone to be on the pill and I think it should be covered under those circumstances the same as any other drug that treats a medical condition.

As for coverage for the pill when used as a contraceptive, I don't really have an opinion on that, but it would probably be cheaper for the insurance company to cover the pill as opposed to having to pay the hospital bills for women giving birth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cochrane View Post
I'd have to ask someone who knows more, but if I recall correctly, in Germany, the pill is covered for girls under eighteen. I think that makes sense; society as a while does not really benefit from teenage pregnancies, and just trying to prevent teenagers from having sex is hardly going to work.
I don't know about the age factor in the US. The pill is purely prescription-only here, and doctors are allowed to write prescriptions for teenagers, so I think it's probably covered if the insurance covers birth control pills overall.

In general, an insurance company will cover the generic version of the birth control pill, and then if the patient gets a name-brand they will have to pay the difference between what the generic cost and what the name-brand cost (which can be pretty expensive). So even if the insurance technically covers birth control pills, it might still be fairly expensive for the patient to get the pill that works best for them (least side effects, most stable cycle, etc.).

Last edited by Ward Dragon; 02-03-12 at 23:40.
Ward Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-12, 23:54   #7
Rai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catracoth View Post
When I said fund their sexual habits, I mean, I'm not happy about my money being used to buy birth control and use it to avoid pregnancy so they can have sex left and right.
Birth control isn't just for promiscuous teens you know. A couple may not be ready for a baby yet. They may be more able to afford birth control than a young girl, but any women should be free to choose whether to have a baby or not and if finance gets in the way of that choice, then that's not a good thing, imo. Unwanted pregnancies, abortions, underage pregnancies, these all cost the state don't they? Better have the money go toward birth control to help reduce these things.
Old 02-03-12, 23:57   #8
Catracoth

Rai, come on now. Of course I know that birth control isn't just for promiscuous people. I'm just not thrilled about my money funding not only women who need the health benefits but a percentage of that money going toward the promiscuous.
Old 03-03-12, 00:01   #9
Rai

I don't get what your problem is then. Are you just against peeps having sex or what? .
Old 03-03-12, 00:02   #10
Catracoth

My problem is, I don't want my tax money going toward anything unless it's a given that people won't abuse it.