www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Community Forums > General Chat > Debate and Political Discussion

Old 19-04-12, 18:47   #11
tampi
Tomb Raider

They should send him to Fukushima, or Haiti to help people, or to Ethiopia or Sierra Leone or any other country in need.
Or to plant potatoes with his hands during those years to feed people in need.
That might make him reconsider some things.
Old 19-04-12, 19:46   #12
interstellardave
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by tampi View Post
They should send him to Fukushima, or Haiti to help people, or to Ethiopia or Sierra Leone or any other country in need.
Or to plant potatoes with his hands during those years to feed people in need.
That might make him reconsider some things.
I do like the idea of productive rehabilitation very much. Or, at the very least, productive prison time.

I remember seeing something about a program in my area where prisoners fixed up a farm that housed abused/neglected horses. They not only fixed up the buildings but maintained them and helped the staff there in the daily care of the horses. Some prisoners were very much changed by the experience.

It was a productive use of their time and a lot of animals that would have been out of luck have been given a second chance, themselves (the farm didn't have the money to continue on it's own). Programs like that I can definitely get behind.
Old 19-04-12, 20:01   #13
TombRaiderFan.
Professor

21 years in a torture chamber for that psycho please. It's no punishment if you're just going to be sitting doing nothing in jail for all that time. You shoud be punished. I can't see him being useful to society seeing as he's ****ing crazy, so death penalty would be better in this case I'd say.
TombRaiderFan. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-12, 20:02   #14
Mad Tony
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by TombRaiderFan. View Post
21 years in a torture chamber for that psycho please. It's no punishment if you're just going to be sitting doing nothing in jail for all that time. You shoud be punished. I can't see him being useful to society seeing as he's ****ing crazy, so death penalty would be better in this case I'd say.
Can you try being serious for once please?
Old 19-04-12, 20:04   #15
MangelinaJolie
Professor

Interestingly enough, I think he would be held longer under insanity. 21 years isn't nearly enough for this.
MangelinaJolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-12, 20:11   #16
Love2Raid
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Tony View Post

Yes, they can, but the problem with that is that even if he is assessed and found to be of no danger to anyone that still doesn't make it true. He can never be trusted with his freedom again.
I'm sure they will take that into consideration. He will be watched constantly, I assume. The smallest doubt should be enough to prevent him from being released, considering what he has done and that he isn't in the least sorry (he's just sorry that he hasn't done 'enough' :/).
Old 19-04-12, 20:35   #17
Uzi master
Relic Hunter

I think Norway's justice system focuses more on re-habilitation than retribution, correct? Assuming I'm remembering the right reports they have a much lower crime rate than other countries like the U.S., so I guess they know what they're doing.
Uzi master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-12, 20:40   #18
Mad Tony
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uzi master View Post
I think Norway's justice system focuses more on re-habilitation than retribution, correct? Assuming I'm remembering the right reports they have a much lower crime rate than other countries like the U.S., so I guess they know what they're doing.
This isn't really about rehabilitation vs punishment though. This man is just too dangerous to ever be let out. Punishment doesn't even come into it.
Old 19-04-12, 20:42   #19
Uzi master
Relic Hunter

Quote:
This isn't really about rehabilitation vs punishment though. This man is just too dangerous to ever be let out. Punishment doesn't even come into it.
I'm sure the people in charge aren't incompetent, if they find he's still too dangerous they'll keep him in.
Uzi master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-12, 20:54   #20
Cochrane
Silver Contributor

Quote:
I already answered this question in my opening post.
Yeah, but the article does not really state the conditions for extending the sentence. I looked it up on norwegian Wikipedia (both of them. Not sure why they have two), and it seems as if his sentence can be extended indefinitely often, if there is a real danger that he will repeat his actions. If this happens, he will be sentenced to at most 21 years, but this sentence can be extended up to five years (has to be done three months before the sentence is over), and that can happen as often as necessary.

Of course, all this information was gained with Google Translate, so maybe the article is actually about proper horse care.

My guess is that this is what will happen to Breivik, and I fully support it. Of course, maybe the man who appears in 21 years is a very different person from the horrible guy we see in the courtroom now, but right now, that does not seem very likely, and if it happens, there's always enough time to decide the rest of his future then.