Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Bangladesh Age:27 Gender: Male
Euro 2012 Final: Spain vs Italy Match Facts and Stats
Here are some interesting facts concerning the two finalists.
SPAIN [For the tiki-taka and boring football lovers]
- It will be the fourth time a Euro final takes place between teams who met earlier in the tournament. It happened in 1988 (Netherlands-USSR), 1996 (Germany-Czech Republic) & 2004 (Greece-Portugal).
- Italy and Spain are facing each other for the 31st time in their history. The Italians hold the advantage with 10 wins to Spainís eight. 12 draws complete the picture.
ITALY [For the excitement and real football lovers]
- Spain have not lost 19 competitive games since the 1-0 loss to Switzerland in the 2010 World Cup.
- Spain havenít conceded a single goal in their last 900 minutes of action in major tournament knockout games, a streak which started in the quarter finals of Euro 2008.
- Iker Casillas, Andres Iniesta, Xavi Hernandez, Fernando Torres, Cesc Fabregas, Santi Cazorla, Xabi Alonso, Sergio Ramos and David Silva featured in the Euro 2008 finals. No player has played in two European championship final wins.
- Xavi Hernandez has completed over 800 passes at Euro 2012, more than any player at a UEFA European Championship. Against Ireland, he completed 133 passes, breaking the record of number of passes at the European Championships.
- If Fernando Torres, who scored the winner four years ago, manages to score in Kiev, he will become the only player to have scored in two major finals.
- Vicente Del Bosque could be the second coach to win both the FIFA World Cup and UEFA European Championships.
- Goal-keeper Iker Casillas has completed 419 minutes without conceding. Spain have kept nine successive clean sheets in a major tournament knockout games.
- Spain have completed more than double the number of passes against their opponents in Euro 2012 672/341 against Italy, 810/198 v Ireland, 639/231 v Croatia, 638/429 v France and 658/331 v Portugal.
- Spain have had more than 50 percent ball possession in 21 out of their 22 games at major final tournaments. At the UEFA Euro 2008 finals against Germany, Spain managed only 46%.
- Spain's 4-0 win over Ireland was their biggest win at the European Championships.
- Casillas has national record of playing in four European Championship finals. Casillas earned his 73rd clean sheet, beating the record of Edwin van der Saar.
- 12 Spanish players were part of the Euro 2008 winning squad. Spain qualified with 100 percent record during the qualifying stages.
- Spain are without the highest goal-scorer in their history, David Villa, who also holds the national record for the most number of goals at the European Championships.
- Spain are only the fifth side to have qualified with 100% result in the qualifying stages. David Villa and Sergio Ramos are the two players who played every game prior to Euro 2012.
- Spain are the second European side to reach the final of three consecutive major tournaments, after West Germany in Euro 72, WC 74, Euro 76.
- Spain have won three out of four (75%) major tournament finals while Italy reached their ninth final, three Euros and six World Cup finals, winning 63%. [ Oh God please make Spanish record 60% tomorrow ]
- Spain have conceded 12 shots on target, six of them came from Italy in their opening clash.
- Cesc Fabregas and Santiago Cazorla are the most used substitutes in the history of the European Championships (alongside Hollandís Aron Winter), having been brought on seven times.
- Andres Iniesta is the player whoís had the most shots on target without scoring at the European Championships, since 1980: 11 shots on target, 0 goals.
- Spain have the best defensive record at Euro 2012 with only one goal conceded. In their last two games combined (quarter-final v France & semi-final v Portugal), Spain have only faced one shot on target.
- Five Spanish players (Xavi, Xabi Alonso, Sergio Busquets, Andres Iniesta and Sergio Ramos) have completed more passes than Italyís most prolific player in that department, Andrea Pirlo (320 passes).
- Italy are unbeaten against Spain at major tournaments (penalties shoot-outs excluded), with three wins and four draws. Nevertheless, Spain managed to qualify in their last encounter in knockout games, it was at the quarter-finals of Euro 2008 (0-0 after 120 mins, 4-2 after penalties).
- Cesare Prandelli has faced Spain twice as Italy head-coach and has never lost. Italy beat them in a friendly in August 2011 (2-1) before drawing in their opening game of Euro 2012 (1-1).
- Italy have won only two of their last eight games within the normal time.
- Italy held the national record of six matches without a win in major finals tournament before beating Ireland.
- Coach Cesare Prandelli is unbeaten so far, with 10 wins and five draws, including the penalty shoot-out win over England counted as a draw.
- Mario Balotelli became only the second Italy player to score twice in one Euro match. He also became the only player to have scored three goals in a single European Championship tournament, equal to Antonio Cassano's national record at all Euro finals he has played.
- Italy play-maker Andrea Pirlo made 146 passes against England, completing 117 - the most at Euro 2012 including extra-time.
- The Italians completed 835 passes including 68 percent ball possession with 35 attempts on goal against England.
- The Italian squad features six players from Italy Serie A champions Jeventus, Gianluigi Buffon, Andrea Barzagli, Leonardo Bonucci, Chiellini, Emanuele Giaccherini, Claudio Marchisio and Pirlo.
- Eight out of 23 players in Italy have previous experience at the European Championships.
- Italy were eliminated by Spain at the Euro 2008 quarter-finals in a penalty shoot-out, Cesc Fabregas scored the winning penalty.
- The Azzurri holds the best defensive record in qualifying, conceding only two goals in eight games.
- Italy are the only side who have never trailed at any time during Euro 2012.
- Italy and Spain have had the most shots at Euro 2012: 99 and 86 respectively.
- Italy have picked up the most bookings (15) at Euro 2012.
- Balotelli has had the most shots on target at Euro 2012: 10.
- Mario Balotelli scored as many goals against Germany in the semi-finals as he did in his 12 previous caps for Italy. Heís scored Italyís last three goals at Euro 2012.
- Gianluigi Buffon has played 24 matches at major tournaments, equalling Dino Zoffís Italian record. Heís still four short of the record holder among goalkeepers, Spainís Iker Casillas (28).
Thank you Sir Alex Ferguson for your contribution :)
Last edited by lcroft_lc; 01-07-12 at 14:23.