www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > The Last Revelation

Old 03-10-14, 14:55   #1
Greenapple968
Relic Hunter

Arrow Very interesting Glitch/Shortcut in City Of The Dead

When I was playing City Of The Dead, I stumbled upon something very interesting in the area with the Ice Elements. Normally, you freeze the water with the Ice Elements and then pull the switch on the other side which enables you to progress further and complete the other parts of the level, resulting in you being able to open the gate at the end and finish the level.

However, I noticed that if you make it across the water without freezing it, and then pull the switch without the water frozen, the switch somehow seems to cause the gate at the end of the level to open. Initially, the switch appears to not have a function and you have to freeze the water afterwards for the door in the area to then open. But pulling the switch without freezing the water seems to cause the gate at the end to open, skipping out the rest of the level; you don't have to do any of the other parts in order to get the gate to open.

Whether or not this is a Glitch I'm not sure; I refer to it as a Glitch in the Title but my knowledge on mechanics is very poor and I'll need you to tell me if it's a Glitch or not.
What is clear, is that this could make a great shortcut and is a very interesting discovery. That is, if this isn't already known.

I really hope this isn't known as I got a great feeling after discovering this.
If it isn't known, then I hope you find this useful.

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_AvlHBybIdE
Old 03-10-14, 15:17   #2
sackboy123
Tomb Raider

Never knew this nice find
Old 03-10-14, 17:52   #3
Dustie
Relic Hunter

Not sure if the freezing the water part has anything to do with it, though... The gate switch activator (as in a trigger that activates the switch's ability to work) might be bound to some other action further in the level, and might be triggered regardless of the water pool part...

EDIT:
If you do freeze the water and then go back to the gate, is the switch still inactive?

Last edited by Dustie; 03-10-14 at 17:54.
Dustie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-14, 18:10   #4
laravision
Archaeologist

I'm gonna have to inform you that your findings have already been discovered by the one & only rr_carroll, in a topic regarding the ice elements behavior.

http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=158115

It's this post in particular that document his findings.

Nonetheless, you were able to discover this shortcut on your own merit, on the PlayStation version, & without any additional tools, well done!
Old 03-10-14, 22:29   #5
Seth94
Tomb Raider

Here's what I think:

Before you freeze the water the room is in its 'initial' state and so the lever switch has no trigger or purpose.

When the water freezes the room is in its 'flipmap' state, and so the lever switch has a trigger for the small door.

Because the 'initial' room state lever switch has no triggers, this can cause problems. (It could also be that the lever switch has a switch trigger but nothing else.) So this could cause other doors to inadvertently trigger. In this case the finish door.

EDIT: It could also be that the designers placed a trigger for the finish door there so that they could easily skip the level when testing.

btw, this could quite easily be tested by opening up the project file in the level editor, to see what the lever switch triggers are.

Last edited by Seth94; 03-10-14 at 22:30.
Seth94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-14, 15:44   #6
The Great Chi
The Inscrutable One

This is a difficult one looking at the design, because there is logic sequences involved.

ROOM WITH NO ICE...

FLIP ROOM WITH ICE...

From the above information we can answer some of Seths94 points.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth94 View Post
Here's what I think:

Before you freeze the water the room is in its 'initial' state and so the lever switch has no trigger or purpose.
SWITCH OPERATION
The lever does work in room 126 if you can get there, switching of lever operates large door in room 0, and brings on unknown command 15 and operand 256, whatever they are. Need more of an expert at TRLE for this.

Quote:
When the water freezes the room is in its 'flipmap' state, and so the lever switch has a trigger for the small door.
STEPPING ON OPERATION
It does flip over to an ice room 204, and stepping into the lever area will operate the small door in room 123 and some fixed camera views of door.

What is happening by getting illegally across the non-iced pond early by devious means, is that you are messing up the commands and operands in the wrong sequence.

It really needs someone that's an expert at commands and operands to figure this one out, as it seems by getting across the pond early you mess up the logic sequence. But at the end of the day, they will likely come to that conclusion as well

Definitely an interesting glitch

Last edited by The Great Chi; 04-10-14 at 16:08.
The Great Chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-14, 16:46   #7
Seth94
Tomb Raider

Hmm, strange that the 'initial' room has a trigger for the door in room 0. (I still think it could've been used by the designers as a shortcut for testing.) Maybe it would be clearer to view the exact triggers in TRLE.

Last edited by Seth94; 04-10-14 at 16:52.
Old 04-10-14, 21:31   #8
Greenapple968
Relic Hunter

Is this considered to be a Glitch? I know jumping over water and pulling a switch is not a Glitch but I didn't know if the "miss-use" makes this a Glitch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sackboy123 View Post
Never knew this nice find
Thanks. Too bad it's known already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustie View Post
Not sure if the freezing the water part has anything to do with it, though... The gate switch activator (as in a trigger that activates the switch's ability to work) might be bound to some other action further in the level, and might be triggered regardless of the water pool part...

EDIT:
If you do freeze the water and then go back to the gate, is the switch still inactive?
Not really sure. Pulling the switch without freezing the water seemed to be the only thing that caused the gate at the end to open. Freezing the water afterwards was then mandatory for leaving the area; going through the door is your only exit in the PS Version.

I don't play on the PC and therefore can't do anything like the Position Editor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by laravision View Post
I'm gonna have to inform you that your findings have already been discovered by the one & only rr_carroll, in a topic regarding the ice elements behavior.

http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=158115

It's this post in particular that document his findings.

Nonetheless, you were able to discover this shortcut on your own merit, on the PlayStation version, & without any additional tools, well done!
Why must all of my discoveries always be known before I share them?

Thanks for sharing and thanks for the compliments. At least I show that it can be done without modding and provided a video showing it all in action.

Quote:
Here's what I think:

Because the 'initial' room state lever switch has no triggers, this can cause problems. (It could also be that the lever switch has a switch trigger but nothing else.) So this could cause other doors to inadvertently trigger. In this case the finish door.

EDIT: It could also be that the designers placed a trigger for the finish door there so that they could easily skip the level when testing.

btw, this could quite easily be tested by opening up the project file in the level editor, to see what the lever switch triggers are.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Chi View Post
This is a difficult one looking at the design, because there is logic sequences involved.

ROOM WITH NO ICE...

FLIP ROOM WITH ICE...

From the above information we can answer some of Seths94 points.

SWITCH OPERATION
The lever does work in room 126 if you can get there, switching of lever operates large door in room 0, and brings on unknown command 15 and operand 256, whatever they are. Need more of an expert at TRLE for this.

STEPPING ON OPERATION
It does flip over to an ice room 204, and stepping into the lever area will operate the small door in room 123 and some fixed camera views of door.

What is happening by getting illegally across the non-iced pond early by devious means, is that you are messing up the commands and operands in the wrong sequence.

It really needs someone that's an expert at commands and operands to figure this one out, as it seems by getting across the pond early you mess up the logic sequence. But at the end of the day, they will likely come to that conclusion as well

Definitely an interesting glitch
Quote:
Hmm, strange that the 'initial' room has a trigger for the door in room 0. (I still think it could've been used by the designers as a shortcut for testing.) Maybe it would be clearer to view the exact triggers in TRLE.
Unfortunately I know very little about game mechanics or anything like that, so you're posts are too advanced for my mind.
Old 05-10-14, 01:56   #9
Seth94
Tomb Raider

Ok, so I decided to delve into the city.prj file with the level editor.

Here is the normal (initial) room:

The normal room has a switch trigger but no door trigger.

Here is the flipmapped room:

The flipmapped room has a trigger for door_type3 and a camera trigger but no switch trigger.

Conclusion

The flipmapped room is the state in which Lara is supposed to pull the lever. So in this case just standing on the lever tile should open the door and trigger the camera. The normal room has just a switch trigger and nothing else. Therefore this could potentially open another door on the map for no reason. (However what is strange is that in The Great Chi's post the trigger details show door_type1 being referenced in room 0, which isn't the case in the LE.)
Old 05-10-14, 09:49   #10
Joey79100
Professor

The maps you get with TRLE are slightly different from the ones used in the original game, so I'm not sure you should refer on this generally. But in this case, it's interesting to see that the trigger has been removed on the TRLE version. It could mean that it was indeed a shortcut for the developpers that they forgot to remove for the final game.
In the coastal ruins of TR4 for example you could go on the sea part where you're originally not able to go because of the stream thanks to a shortcut. But this shortcut was removed in the TRLE version. Here's the place I'm talking about (TR4 doesn't work on this computer so I can't take a screenshot of it).
Maybe the things that are different in TRLE and in TR4 can be considered as things that were "corrected", that they could have corrected for TR4 if they had seen them sooner.
Joey79100 is offline   Reply With Quote