www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider II

Old 22-07-15, 20:51   #1
LateRaider
Archaeologist

Default [Tutorial] Tomb Raider II - Installing The Golden Mask for the GOG version PERFECTLY!

UPDATE: If you've found Garrett's Fullscreen Window Border Removal isn't working for TRII Gold, try using this modified patch I made. Get it here! Please note that some people have reported that the music doesn't work anymore with this, though.

UPDATE: Is my edit to Garrett's patch not working for you? Try this solution that uses Windowed Borderless Gaming to help you play in fullscreen with no window border! (It works--trust me!)

UPDATE: You can alternatively use SuikazeRaider's updater executable to install Golden Mask. The updater has some other bonuses included, as well as multi-language support. Visit here for it.

Hello everyone, and let me extend a warm welcome to all of you from Stella's Tomb Raider Site that are ready to fully install Tomb Raider II's expansion pack. Thank you for choosing my tutorial.

UPDATE: This tutorial also seems to apply to the Steam version, verified here by topazlink and here by charmedangelin! Thanks to them for the info. However, the GOG.com installation paths will remain as examples below.

So throughout the years, there's been nothing but hassle with getting Tomb Raider II: Golden Mask working perfectly with your GOG.com digital copy. You can get it working, sure, but you miss out on getting Nightmare in Vegas legitimately due to Level 4's secrets not registering within the game. On top of that, the menu option for Lara's Home is there when it shouldn't be, and selecting it crashes the game!

So what do you do? How do you get this to work fully? I've written up this full tutorial, compiled from various others I've found on the internet, that will get Tomb Raider II: Golden Mask working perfectly on your PC. For the record, I originally wrote this while using Windows 7, so Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 may be a little different.

PART 1: GETTING GOLDEN MASK INSTALLED AND RUNNING
(Credit to Raien, GOG.com Forum for the tutorial and Stellalune, Stella's Tomb Raider site for the download links.)

1. Download Tomb Raider II: Golden Mask. Stella's Tomb Raider Site would probably be the best place to obtain links for that. I personally used the link titled "Golden Mask for GOG and Steam." When downloaded, the file is called "tr2gfus.ZIP." If you're using that file, you will need to unzip it.

http://tombraiders.net/stella/downlo...les.html#bonus

2. Install the expansion. Again, with tr2gfus.ZIP as an example, the installer is called "Setup.EXE."

3. Copy your main GOG Tomb Raider II folder and paste it somewhere, then rename it. At this point, you are free to rename it whatever you want, but for the purposes of clarity, I'll be calling it "TRIIcopy."

4. Within the TRIIcopy folder, delete all the files in the "data" folder and replace them with the contents of Golden Mask's data folder.

5. In TRIIcopy's main folder, there is a file called "tombPC.DAT". Delete it, then go to TRIIcopy's data folder where you'll see another file named tombPC.DAT. Copy this over to the main TRIIcopy folder.

6. Executing "Tomb2.EXE" from the TRIIcopy folder will now bring up Golden Mask.

7. You can uninstall the original Tomb Raider II: Golden Mask installation now that you have all the relevant files from it.

8. Rename the Tomb2.EXE within the TRIIcopy folder as "t2gold.EXE". Please do not skip this step, as it makes Part 2, Step 2 less confusing.

PART 2: FIXING LARA'S HOME & THE FINAL SECRET TALLY AND GETTING THE MUSIC TO WORK
(Credit to Suikaze Raider and b122251, Tomb Raider Forums for the fixes and tutorials.)

So, we've just installed it and are seeing that Lara's Home is there and crashing the game when selected. On top of that, if you've gone through the game and tested it out, it only gives you "Secrets: 9 of 9 found" for the whole game, thus refusing to give you the bonus level and the level select menu.

We're about to fix that now.

1. Download Lara's Home Mod for TR2Gold and un-RAR it. (You may need WinRAR to get it.)

https://mega.nz/#!rw8AwCiA!mghdYWO6k...9xalw-diuxKzFw

2. Replace the t2gold.EXE within the TRIIcopy folder with one of the EXEs from Lara's Home Mod for TR2. Since English is my only language, I chose the one from the "Executable - English" folder. (When Windows asks you if you want to replace the old file, choose to do so.)

3. Copy the file "assault.TR2" from the Lara's Home Level folder and put it in TRIIcopy's data folder.

4. Go into the folders "Audio Solution DLL Files" in Lara's Home Mod for TR2, and copy or cut the DLL files contained within. Paste them within the main TRIIcopy folder. (Again choosing to replace any files when Windows asks.)

5. Repeat the above process for Lara's Home Mod for TR2's "Updated FMV DLL Files" folder.

6. Now you need to download this audio pack, as doing the above just broke the music! Un-RAR it when you get the chance.

https://mega.nz/#!O5MCXYpT!pW4F4lEuK...FizkA9g3zgYhKM

7. Copy the "audio" folder contained within, and paste it in the main TRIIcopy folder.

8. You should delete the music folder in the main TRIIcopy folder, because it was made redundant with the audio folder.

9. This should make the game fully work! You get audio, Lara's Home, and all 12 secrets registering within the game.

10. [OPTIONAL] You may want to create a shortcut of the new and improved t2gold.EXE.

Thanks to everyone who made this possible!

Last edited by LateRaider; 30-05-17 at 06:34. Reason: Fixed typos and clarity issues, and added a better intro, since this is now featured on Stella's site!
LateRaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-15, 08:53   #2
topazlink
Hobbyist

Hey, unfortunately the files are down is there any chance that they could be reuploaded somewhere else?
Old 02-09-15, 21:15   #3
LateRaider
Archaeologist

Oh wow, it says the MediaFire account has been suspended! I'll message Suikaze Raider and see if they still have the complete package; in the meantime, I have the English EXE, but none of the other languages. I'll upload them in a moment.

Edit 1 - [URL removed] All relevant files in one folder, but only English language. Will replace as soon as possible.

Edit 2 - Opening post edited with new links to my MediaFire.

Edit 3 - Was just told MediaFire creates a "false positive" on Lara's Home files, citing them as illegal when they're not. (You still need a legal copy of Tomb Raider II to play The Golden Mask, remember!) So I'm uploading them to Mega.

Edit 4 - Mega uploads complete. Thanks to Suikaze Raider for the help!

Last edited by LateRaider; 01-11-15 at 09:22.
Old 04-09-15, 12:01   #4
topazlink
Hobbyist

Thanks for fixing the downloads! Mediafire doesn't seem to be a great place to host things nowadays.

I used this with the Steam version of Tomb Raider II and it seems to work perfectly! This is exactly the solution that I was looking for I even took all the files needed to do this and put them in a convenient folder for myself, so now I can add the Gold levels to the Steam version in a couple of simple steps!

Last edited by topazlink; 04-09-15 at 17:16.
topazlink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-15, 18:07   #5
LateRaider
Archaeologist

I'll write down in the opening post that it also works with the Steam game! Thanks for letting me know, topazlink.
Old 16-10-15, 18:53   #6
Maninoir
Hobbyist

Default Trouble downloading

Hey, so im having huge difficulty following your instructions. So i have tombraider 2 i downloaded from GOG website. I went to Stella website to download the tombraider 2 golden, the one that says GOG or Steam. For some reason i didnt have to extract a folder, it easily let me click on it and see the documents. but it didnt have any of the files you said to install it. I didn't even see Setup.EXE or any of that. Could you help me? also i could screen shot and send it to you if you like. Oh and i have windows 8
Maninoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-15, 19:34   #7
topazlink
Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maninoir View Post
Hey, so im having huge difficulty following your instructions. So i have tombraider 2 i downloaded from GOG website. I went to Stella website to download the tombraider 2 golden, the one that says GOG or Steam. For some reason i didnt have to extract a folder, it easily let me click on it and see the documents. but it didnt have any of the files you said to install it. I didn't even see Setup.EXE or any of that. Could you help me? also i could screen shot and send it to you if you like. Oh and i have windows 8
If you downloaded from the link called "Golden Mask (PC) full 5-level expansion", you should have a file called "tr2gfus.zip".

1. Put this zip file in an empty folder so you can keep track of its contents.
2. Extract the contents using something like WinRar, WinZip or 7zip to the same folder the zip file is in.
3. You should see a new folder called "tr2gfus". Inside this folder is a bunch of files, one of which is called "Setup.exe".

This is the file you need to run.
Old 22-10-15, 23:56   #8
LateRaider
Archaeologist

Let me know if you need any help! I'm always here and willing.

Last edited by LateRaider; 01-11-15 at 09:22.
Old 10-11-15, 13:53   #9
.Assassin.
Hobbyist

On some PCs that have 64bit OS can't run the SETUP.EXE file, but there is another TR2 Gold you can use that has all of the files extracted already on Stella's Tomb Raider Site.
.Assassin. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-16, 08:06   #10
charmedangelin
Archaeologist

Finally got this to work, happy to report this worked for steam version as well.
charmedangelin is offline   Reply With Quote