Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > General Forums > General Chat

Old 03-02-04, 17:11   #1
tlr online
Tomb Raider Forums

DRACO/ANNACIA

This portion of my inquiry has been emailed to Draco and Ann, as these are the only two people this involves and concerns. Either party is free to post the segment responding to the Draco/Ann issue as they see fit.

THIRD PARTY REVOLTS

I am satisfied that neither party* was directly responsible for the culmination of open hostility and eventual revolt that marred the forum week ending Sunday 1 Feb. Several key figures representing each party must take responsibility for inflaming an already volatile episode by orchestrating a campaign on the forum specifically designed to target and antagonise their opposite numbers, the net result of which caused additional embarrassment to the only two people this should have involved. The rapacious appetites of those eager “for a piece of the action” have left an indelible mark on the community.

I also accept that by closing a number of threads in an attempt not to abandon free speech but suppress chaos, I drove the problem underground, only to surface again with more vigour and ferocity.

THE LEAK

I would like to express my considerable disappointment with Draco – a very active and contributing member of Illuminati - for violating the trust and work in earnest of those charged with negotiating forum policy and orchestrating a better forum experience for the greater benefit of the community as a whole.

ILLUMINATI

I accept the views by some that the existence of this private forum be seen as a compounding factor in the theory behind the apparent creation of a two-tier community, and accept the suggestion that those who participated be considered – or consider themselves - as elitist. I also accept that the existence of this forum has fractured the community. While I advocate that Illuminati was no different in statute than to Admins ONLY (which has stood unchallenged at the bottom of the Forum Summary page since the inception of the forum almost four years ago) and while I also advocate the role of this forum was designed explicitly for discussing and formulating forum policy, I accept the fact that by “hiding” its existence be seen by some as enforcing the elitist theory.

I also accept responsibility for dislocating community equality over the existence of Illuminati, and while my intensions were honourable and at no time motivated by wishing to create an elitist community within the forum hierarchy, I am satisfied with the claims by some members that this in actual fact did occur and sincerely apologise for any inconvenience and breakdown of trust this has caused. Illuminati has now been closed.

* Draco and Annacia.
tlr online is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-04, 17:31   #2
Annacia
Inactive

I choose to post nothing. It was, and should have remained private. There was an acceptable break up on Sept 1 '03 and there things ended. There was no need for this.
Annacia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-04, 17:42   #3
GeorgeM

Smile

Hello Tlr. I know nothing about the incident really, but I would like to say I think you were wrong to get rid of your private forum.

This is your site, and you are free to run it as you wish. Moderators, because of the work and responsibilities involved, have every right to enjoy a few privileges. Removing those privileges for moderators to placate a few would be a mistake.

If anyone does not like how you run your site, let them take their back biting and go somewhere else with it.

You're too soft my friend, heh heh.

[ 03. February 2004, 23:34: Message edited by: gonga ]
GeorgeM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-04, 21:13   #4
Draco
Golden

Actually GM, being or not being a Mod had no bearing on letting you in or keeping you out.

I apologize for my actions, but not for my intentions...

[ 03. February 2004, 21:14: Message edited by: Draco ]
Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-04, 23:30   #5
gonga
Inactive

I am well known throughout northern New York State as someone who was instrumental in bringing opposing sides of the Adirondack debate together for positive change. Nothing would disturb me greater than to be considered an elitist.

I would like to say to the members that even before the Illuminati was formed, many of us expressed concerns that the Illuminati NOT become an elitist social group. Virtually every post I ever made there was focused on improving the forum for the betterment of all members. I proudly served at the request of tlr. At no time have I ever considered myself better than any other member, nor did I ever desire the Illuminati, which was a utilitarian, advisory forum, to become elitist in any way.
gonga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-04, 23:58   #6
JENN

I'm still fairly new here but as far I can see everyone is treated equally. Which is cool because on most (I won't say all) forums it's not like that at all.

I going to agree with George on this one (although I would not have used those words ) A lot of boards have restricted forums and if it's a benefit to the community then I don't see why it should be closed.
JENN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-04, 02:09   #7
gonga
Inactive

I think the concept of a forum for mods and admins only is perfectly sound and would probably be useful. Membership would be strictly objective and there would be no appearance of favoritism that way.
gonga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-04, 10:40   #8
Duffman

Thumbs up

I dont feel that this Illuminati would be ever considered as an Admins Only section by the members NOT involved in it.

The Illuminati was a somewhat acute idea - and if that was the choice of the Adminstrator of this forum then so be it. Although the intentions have now been made clear that this was in fact another sort of Admins Only section its existance hasnt been seen that way.

If i would see such a two-tiered community here i would revolt. Like a hacker in software - I would like to see the internet a free community... internet forums anyway... laugh if you may - but it is forums (bulletin boards) that started the internet - and like this one are still one of the only free parts of it - those like myself that have been here (online) from the start know that. This situation however has only authenticated the truth that forums need Founders, Administrators and Moderators. Without these any forum would not work!...

Unfortunately this "integrity check" has come about with an adverse situation - and my thoughts are with my friends Annacia and Draco - that i truely hope will come about face with resolve on the light of this new year.

With that aside i hope to continue to make considerable contributions to this community - one which i feel i am a strong part of, and a strong member. I pledge my time and efforts into making the people here feel welcome along with any advise on any/all topics. i hope my presence is always welcome and that i can share my experiences, inexperiences, knowledge and common curiosities with all here; now and long into the future.

- The Forums Friend: Duffman
Duffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-04, 16:37   #9
Kaminari

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by Duffman:
With that aside i hope to continue to make considerable contributions to this community - one which i feel i am a strong part of, and a strong member. I pledge my time and efforts into making the people here feel welcome along with any advise on any/all topics. i hope my presence is always welcome and that i can share my experiences, inexperiences, knowledge and common curiosities with all here; now and long into the future.
Sounds like the Duffman's preparing his election campaign
Kaminari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-04, 16:43   #10
Annacia
Inactive

Go Duff!!
Annacia is offline   Reply With Quote