www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Modding > Tomb Raider Level Editor

Old 23-10-16, 13:34   #1
Level NextGen
Archaeologist

Default AOD2 The Lost Dominion - Revival

http://thelostdominion.popzelife.me

About the project
Since the beginning of this project 3 years has gone and the team is not the same. Some have left, some have joined… Creating a continuation of Tomb Raider Angel of Darkness is huge amount of work, especially when dealing with the storyboard. Most of the real hard work was to achieve a convincing and realistic story telling with new elements without altering the true spirit of AoD.

In fact, as you might all know Tomb Raider – The Angel of Darkness storyline was cut a lot and some plots totally disappeared in the released version, including characters and locations (because of deadline priorities). The game released as-is forced the team to totally rethink the main plot, trying to fill the plot-holes left by AoD and also trying to bring a new key element that fit the AoD atmosphere. We wanted The Lost Dominion to be a continuation of Tomb Raider IV – The Last Revelation. We may have stopped counting the number of versions we have made for the storyline and the hours of talks on Skype or Slack we all had.

Today we developed a huge set of web tool to organize our work, going from private forums to private cloud and dashboard. All this dealing with our real life priorities. A real reshaping of the team effort was needed. Behind only creating an unique adventure we are also maintaining a team effort that need organization.

You can check our website and follow our blogpost for more updates.

TLD Engine
Setting an engine for TRLE that fit the AoD gameplay needed an entire reshape of the TRLE mechanics. More than words lets show us a Beta preview of all that was done:
Since this video was recorded we have fixed few things but it mostly shows how our old TRLE has been turned in an AOD engine, with new animation and settings.

The grip bar comes back but it won't be used as the same as in AOD. Lara can choose a direction when she slides on a slope. The flare is now an electric torch working with piles. A climbeable leader system has been created along with a manually open door made by Apofyse a long time ago. And we implement connection between parallel bar and siderope. There also some new items we'll investigate at a later time. Unfortunately we had a new swimming animation we just forget to put into stage here (the animations weren't updated).

Next time we'll show you the upgrade system being still in work.

Level Assets
We only started to build levels this year and for now we are working on 3 levels, so these screenshots are still WIP:
  • Egypt Underworld

• German Backstreets

• Cennet Monastery - Turkey

Last edited by Level NextGen; 13-11-16 at 18:00.
Level NextGen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-16, 13:34   #2
Level NextGen
Archaeologist

Contest:

For our first contest look at this post or click the image to read our blog post.

Submit:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESCachuli View Post
The challenges of the Duat

The egyptian underworld is known as the Duat. When someone dies, Anubis guides him before Osiris. His Ib (the heart) is extracted by Anubis, and is deposited in a scale, and in the opposite plate, the Maat (symbol of Truth and Justice). If your heart has many sins, it becomes too big and outweight the Maat, and Anubis feeds your Ib to Ammyt. If not, you can go to Aaru (the paradise).

Well, this is “almost” seen in TR4 (the water puzzle). If you failed, the monster gets out of the cage and attacks you (and the monster is clearly designed upon Ammyt).
So, you can’t repeat it.

How can you make an interesint Egyptian Underworld? First, call it Duat, since it is it’s real name.

Anubis should be chasing you through the level. For example, the level begins with Lara waking up from the fall. Everything has an eerie atmosphere and weird colours. After exploring a while, you reach a room, and Anubis is right there. He commands you to follow him. But knowing what is happening, Lara runs and escapes him to another place.

Maybe there could be some traps in the way, but at some point, you get the Scarab Amulet (the same Putai was talking about). And this object becomes a central piece of the puzzles. The Scarabeo sacer is symbol of resurrection. With this item, you can go back to the living plane. Remember Soul Reaver? Something like that. Certain walls aren’t there anymore, the pillars move… and Anubis isn’t there.

So, my idea is:
- Using the Scarab, you can move through the living world to the Duat. Maybe you could only use it in certain places so the rest of the conditions make sense (if you can flip freely, there is no challenge).
- Anubis chase you in the Duat, and can kill you in 1 hit.
- Ammyt (the real one, not the minions from TR4) also can appear from nowhere (maybe as a trap, she could appear from a hole in the wall and kill you, she is a giant monster with crocodile head, lion hair, hypo legs and human torso).
- In the living world, Ammyt-like monsters (the ones from TR4) attack you. Those, and traps, can take you back to the Duat and you would be forced to repeat the sequence. Maybe even the time of the "living world" could be limited, so you are transported back to the Duat after some time and you had to do some timed secuences.
- You have to get the Ka (life force) and the Ba (spirit force), and then use them in a ritual room. Osiris appears with Anubis and Ammyt. Osiris combines your Ka and your Ba into the Aj. Anubis then opens you a portal, you cross it… and wake up next to the pyramid exit.
- Lara wonders if it was real… but she has the Scarab amulet. It just doesn’t work anymore.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Full View Post
Oh. After top secret work I didn't register I'm supposed to show it.
Here's what I mean. LGG says fine, so I'm sending this.
Note I had full memory, it's not the item lagging the game

Team Members
Here is the list of permanent or core members and time to time members. If you are in the list it means you helped us at one moment. PM me if I forget you or if you do not wish to be in this list.

Storyboard Writers:
Quentin Frémeaux aka Level NextGen
Nathan Hurley aka HURLEYstickmen
Jake Whitmarsh aka Ceamonks890

Przemysław Kochański aka Caesum

Level Builders:
Przemysław Kochański aka Caesum

Object Builders:
Ben Kettleborough aka benkb

Zoltán Berei aka Zolee
Dylan Forrest aka Thor2010
Titak
LGG_PRODUCTION

Music Compositors:
Adamm Khuevrr aka adammbommb
Thomas Kobialka aka tomekkobialka

Voice Acting:
.:Tirivol:.

Animators:
Krystian
Joey Quint aka Joey79100

Scripting:
Joey Quint aka Joey79100
Elio Qoshi aka Lara's Boyfriend
Krystian

AkyV

Last edited by Level NextGen; 17-11-16 at 20:52.
Level NextGen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-16, 13:37   #3
SrDanielPonces
Relic Hunter

oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god

LOOKS AMAZING
Old 23-10-16, 13:40   #4
klona
Gold Contributor

Finally, some real news!
I'm looking forward to this.
Old 23-10-16, 13:52   #5
New Dwight

Talking

Now that's what I like to see! I already know a few enemies that'll fit this!
New Dwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-16, 13:59   #6
tomb2player
Archaeologist

Looks good. But be careful with amount of room geometry vertices - limit is about 150000 per level.
Old 23-10-16, 14:27   #7
Hedteur
Hobbyist

I cant even o_o
This looks so promising ! Good luck y'all !
Old 23-10-16, 14:47   #8
NoahCrofRaider
Archaeologist

Oh. My. Word. This engine, this AOD-styled engine, there's no words to describe how much this looks like AOD. You can tell you guys put a lot of work into this project. Just Amazing.
Old 23-10-16, 17:07   #9
ESCachuli
Archaeologist

OMG!!! I'm very impressed about it. Really. One question: will you add ledge hopping or will it be left out? I don't really think it's necesary, but just a question, since it became really popular.

Great work, really, I'm amazed about the engine.
ESCachuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-16, 17:52   #10
Titak

Looking good!!

Yes, things need to be polished, especially the ladder animation... it looks kinda stiff compared to the other animations.
And when she grabs the pole to swing on it and also climb on top to walk on it. She is not grabbing the pole there.

But most looks good already.
Some missing sounds but that's easy to fix later on.