Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > General Forums > General Chat

Old 26-01-03, 05:27   #1
Annacia
Inactive

It may not be a big thing but I just I just wanted to say that I'm really impressed.
We have members from around the world and everyone knows English. Some are better than others but hey, Even the worst English speaker is far far better than I would be trying to use their language. The U.S. schools offer language classes but they are not mandatory. Wouldn't it be a good thing if they were?. Anyway, thats all I wanted to say.
Annacia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-03, 06:33   #2
Croft Security

I completely agree Annacia. It doesn't say much for American schools when everyone else in the world can speak English and we don't know their language. I've talked to people from all over the world in IM conversations and many of them know English quite well. I don't know how things are in Canada, but education is not America's strong point. Our strong point is blowing the **** out of other countries and feeling superior.

[ 26 January 2003, 06:34: Message edited by: Croft Security ]
Croft Security is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-03, 07:08   #3
Annacia
Inactive

I came here as an adult but I'm very sorry to say that education here is simply awful. Far worse that the states. I heard on the news awhile back that 25 to 27% of the population is unable to read at grade 4 level. I was shocked!
Old 26-01-03, 07:24   #4
Draco
Golden

I would have loved to have had to learn another language back when it would stick with me...

My only experience with Foreign language classes is 2 years of Francais, and a quarter of Deutshe (German)...

I would have loved to have learned Espanol or Italian...now I dont really have time...

USA2lose...

Stop beating around Bush, beat him directly... - G. C. Klane
Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-03, 07:27   #5
Annacia
Inactive

I know a little Espanol but not from school.
Old 26-01-03, 08:37   #6
Duffman

firstly, i speak Australian not English mate... hehehe

We, here is Oz, have manditory high school subject called LOTE (Langauges Other Than English) - at my school it was German, and im thankful for having to do it. Other schools do Japanese, Spanish, Italian or Greek... theres prob more, but all the ones i know...

"Ich bin Duffman" - lol

If i had followed it on into year 12 (our final year) i would have received extra credit for doing it then, but you only get 5 subjects to do that year (a 6th if you choose to do it in year 11, which i did, but not LOTE), and it was not my primary concern.

We now also have other language lessons in primary school, which is good to see happening. My little sis learnt Indonesion but i never got the chance to do anything like that...
Duffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-03, 09:08   #7
Annacia
Inactive

Duffman, thats wonderful. Do you get to choose the language you want or is each school different? I wasn't to clear on that.
Old 27-01-03, 10:02   #8
Duffman

no...

each school has a different language... - the exception is some schools has two to choose from, but most have one language/LOTE.

As a kid you dont really like talking another language and learning is tedious, but now i value even the little knowledge about germany and the language...

Of course, its not just learn to talk nd write, but you also learn about the country and its a little history class also...
Duffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-03, 22:57   #9
TRINERTIA

Foreign languages were a requirement at my high school. They even offered it in intermediate school if you were 'smart' enough. I took French for 4 years and Spanish for 1, but 4 years is hardly enough to become fluent in a language. What I find is sad is that they don't offer more foreign languages during elementary school. It is so much easier for children to learn language than teens or adults. The US really needs to stress education more. It just makes us look inferior to other countries in that aspect. Everyone learns English, and I can see why, but we don't take the time or effort to teach our students the languages of other countries.
TRINERTIA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-03, 23:19   #10
SuzanneJack

Quote:
Originally posted by Draco:
USA2lose...

Stop beating around Bush, beat him directly... - G. C. Klane[/QB]
Thank you Draco.....

I think the USA should require students to take other language's, but why educate us, unless you have 40,000 dollars for an associate degree.....
SuzanneJack is offline   Reply With Quote