Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > General Forums > Technical Support

Old 05-10-04, 19:34   #1
Neteru

Angry

Damn Internet Explorer! GRRR. Ok, I've spent time creating webpages in a nice and simple way (WYSIWYG) and they work a dream in Mozilla. But when I came to view a couple in spits Internet Explorer, it has completely (slight exaggeration) ignored my formatting and insists upon padding the division between two cells of my table. Does anyone know how I can easily overcome this?
Neteru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-04, 19:38   #2
Joseph
Inactive

Net, read your PM please.
Joseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-04, 19:48   #3
Joseph
Inactive

Net, which wysiwyg program do you use? I use Macromedia Dreamweaver. You can set your preference to IE version 6.
But a table, cells and rows are such standard html elements that Mozilla should not read them wrongly.
So i gues something else went wrong ...
Are all the tables you made, bad?
Old 05-10-04, 19:53   #4
Neteru

Mozilla doesn't read them wrongly Joseph. I made them with Mozilla's Composer. The problem is IE (damn I hate it lol). The problem is with two pages. Looks great in Mozilla but spoilt in IE.

[EDIT] Sorry, the other pages are fine, but the problem is these two tables (one per page) I am using split images (where I'm not on the others) and it's adding this padding. At least that's how it looks in IE.

[ 05. October 2004, 20:56: Message edited by: Neteru ]
Old 05-10-04, 20:54   #5
Simulation

Hi Net,

I guess you are talking about the eyes.....

Weird. It looks fine for my in IE and Opera, but out of sync in Mozilla?

Just downloading Firefox 1.0PR
Simulation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-04, 21:12   #6
Neteru

OH NO! This is turning out a disaster. Mind you, it's not so bad with the eyes per se. As it's only invisible links, but you say it's out of synch in Mozilla? Oh I don't get this. It all looks fine for me in Mozilla, but my links pages are out of synch in IE (the central link images are split when they shouldn't be). As I've said to Joseph in PM all my tables/cells are set with 0 borders, 0 padding but IE insists on putting them in down the middle.

I did find out a little about the difference with browsers and how they treat tables (IE apparently insists on inserting padding) but it can be overcome with cascading style sheets. Which is a realm I really don't want to get into. For the meantime I can redo the links pages and create separate tables for the central links so they don't split. But now you've mentioned they eyes problem I really don't know what to do there as it's already a separate nested table. WYSIWYG? What a lie! should be WYSIWYDG What you see is what you don't get.
Old 05-10-04, 21:40   #7
Bokkie
Golden

Lightbulb

A few tips to maximize IE and Mozilla compatibilities:

- use CSS, try to put all object definitions in external CSS file
- use tables not layers and divs
- use #xxyyzz for object color, not just xxyyzz (Firefox doesn't read color if there is no # before color definition)
- do not use browser specific tags
- use Firefox browser to test compatibility, if Firefox displays well, IE should display well also
Bokkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-04, 21:50   #8
Joseph
Inactive

Net
As i PM'd you: maybe i'm wrong but i hope i'm not:
It's not the padding that has to be "0", but it is the Cell space which has to be "0"

Example:
(* which couldn't be shown, because
this forum doesn't allow html, so i just emailed it to you.)

[ 05. October 2004, 22:51: Message edited by: joseph ]
Old 05-10-04, 22:03   #9
Simulation

Ah.........

The eyes are OK on the front page, but missaligned on subsequent pages. This seems true with all browsers.

You might be better off using frames and use the left and top frame for the image and use the centre frame for content. It should reduce the overhead and chance for error.

Another way is not too overlay images, but to specify area references to hotspot links on a single image.

I have created a sample web page. Have a look at the source.

[ 05. October 2004, 23:04: Message edited by: Simulation ]
Simulation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-04, 22:09   #10
SpArKy

Thumbs up

Your call that SIMPLE Sim, i can only barely create one using HTML! Looks mysterious by the way, is there a link Neteru i could see you could send me via PM or anything.
SpArKy is offline   Reply With Quote