Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > General Forums > Technical Support

Old 30-01-05, 11:19   #1
PSone

Unhappy

Recently my PC has been running slow, so... I removed all the data I wanted, did a full format and re-install.
Now... one of my HDD's was running extremely slow. I ran windows CHKDSK, which asked me to restart and "fixed" everything from DOS.

However... in true Microsoft style, everytime my PC turns on it proclaims "One of your disks needs to be checked for consistency" and proceeds to "fix" the same problems it did previously.

My drive is now running normally, but a few folders (presumably where the bad sectors are, as these arethe files windows claimed 'could not be restored' in its CHKDSK utility) seem to send my computer into a skitzophrenic fit and explorer crashes.

I downloaded and am currently running a utility called "SpinRite V6" which LOOKS like it is doing the job, but if I browse to a certain screen, it freezes and my PC reports no activity at all.
Further to this, the timer that says how long I have left remains at 1hr23mins continuously. But the bytes it is reading continues to change and move upward in normal style.

Any suggestions should this tool not fix my problem? Is my HDD just totally 'FUBARed' or is there something I can do to help my poor PC?
I have left the utility to run overnight
PSone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-05, 12:15   #2
Simulation

It sounds to me that your hard drive has had it. I personally wouldn't trust it anymore and would rather get a new drive. They don't cost much these days. I just the other week I bought a new 80GB IDE 72,000 rpm for £35.
Simulation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-05, 12:31   #3
Apofiss

Arrow

Post copied from other tech-forum:

I agree with anyone who states that there is no recovery from a bad sector on hard drive. The drive has become phiscally damaged, and the only way of repair is RMA. The software packages people talk about redirect file data around the actual sector(s) that have become currupt. By doing so you are decreasing the hard drive size and increasing the wear on your read/write heads on the drive. All this wear and tear decreases the hard drives life cycle. I know this is not t he outcome that you would perfer to hear, but after all the experinces I have gone through with hard drives I have learned the truth hurts.

But still you can try: tech-forum about HDD bad sectors

[ 30. January 2005, 12:39: Message edited by: Apofiss ]
Apofiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-05, 13:14   #4
Bokkie
Golden

Any disk that have at least one bad sector, will have more and more bad sectors in the future. You may use it for some non-important data such as Mp3 files or DivX videos. Do not use it for any important data.

The disk will die in the future for sure, but noone can say when. It may die in the next couple of days or next couple of months, even a year. Do not install any OS and that disk. If you have more than one disk (not partitions), you may use it until it's dead. Be sure to often backup that data stored on that disk.
Bokkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-05, 13:37   #5
Joseph
Inactive

Yes PSone, it sounds to me too that it is dying. Save all the data you can rescue as soon as possible.
I once had the same with a brandnew hdd. Scandisk reported bad sectors. During rescan, even more bad sectors were produced! The logfile became larger and larger. I brought it back to the shop next day, it was thrown in a basket, and i received a replacement.

Hey Sim! I bought an extra 80 GB 7200 rpm hdd (the 3d on this pc) last week too! Going to add a 4th tomorrow! Btw i paid € 69,- ,
Joseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-05, 14:18   #6
Bokkie
Golden

Here in Serbia 80GB HDD 7200 rpm is about 60 euros
Old 31-01-05, 00:55   #7
Olvidarse

Here in California a 300GB HDD 7200 RPM is $159 (about 120 euros).

[ 31. January 2005, 00:57: Message edited by: Olvidarse ]
Olvidarse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-05, 08:47   #8
Simulation

Quote:
Originally posted by joseph:

Hey Sim! I bought an extra 80 GB 7200 rpm hdd (the 3d on this pc) last week too! Going to add a 4th tomorrow! Btw i paid € 69,- ,
Now your just getting a little greedy.. What are you going to store on these drives?
Simulation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-05, 09:16   #9
Bokkie
Golden

Walkthroughs maybe?
Old 31-01-05, 09:37   #10
PSone

Thanks guys, I am currently transferring all data off the HDD. Just in case it does die.
I will removed the HDD and buy a new one when I have the cash.
PSone is offline   Reply With Quote