www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > The Last Revelation

Old 23-10-05, 02:31   #1
Scottlee
Relic Hunter

Not for the first time, Lara begins a level by sliding into it - "There's a slide over there. That might be where the next level starts". This particular slide takes you to the Burial Chambers, an impossibly sleek cobweb-less shrine for the Egyptian undead, most of whom were buried while still alive. It is also the place where Lara inadvertently sets a chain of events in motion that will eventually lead to she herself getting a premature burial. Oops. Women, know your limits!

TRLR's over-indulgence in secrets is never more apparant than at the beginning of this level. We miss the first one because we just did not see it coming. The second one is almost handed to us depending on the outcome of a 50/50 leap to the left or the right. As with the first secret, we cannot go back and get it once it has gone. Within sixty seconds we can either be permanently 0/2 or 2/2 in the secrets column and I think this is a touch unfair. I much prefer the romanticism of actually having to go out and hunt for the secrets, ala Caves, TR1.

Much better are the spikes. I usually tire of spikes rather quickly, but these are not your everyday spikes. These are spikes pure Hollywood style - large, retracting, and wholly menacing. If Pedro was still around by this point, I will wager he would have got scared by the Burial Chamber spikes.

An even fresher phenomenon comes to the fore during this level, that of the pickup within a vase. It starts here and goes on right the way through the game. It is a flawed idea, though. If it never occurs to you to shoot the vases then you are going to miss a lot of goodies. On the other hand, if you shoot the very first vase you are going to get ALL the goodies, as from said point onward you are not going to leave a single vase unbroken. Curiously, the larger vases cannot be broken at all. This defies sensible logic. Another slightly less questionable notion is how all the ammo and first aid kits got inside the vases in the first place. Imagine if Lara tried to take one of the vase onto the Antiques Roadshow...

("Well Miss Croft, this is a perfect well-polished example of 12th century porcelain. It was probably a feature of the Louis XXII collection first brought to England as part of the post-war reparation inventory. These days it would probably fetch in the region of 1500-2000. If we look inside the piece we should see the ancient markings of....Oh...What's this blue shotgun wideshot ammo doing in here?)

It is not just the vases that are victims of strange product placement. One unlucky ancient apparantly suffered the indignity of being condemned to a sarcophagus with a health pack inside it. As he was dying, his tortured mind was probably working over-time in the knowledge that health pack was so close yet so far - "If only I could wriggle free of these bandages!"

Bandages of course are usually used to help people, not kill them. Imagine if one of the wounded mummies had managed to escape from his sarcophagus (albeit having severely scratched himself in the process) just as Lara was visiting the chambers to do her raiding. Lara might have spotted him and said "Look at those scratches! Oh my poor dear. Hang on. I've got a bandage in my medi-pack". The mummy in turn would have replied - "Bandages??? Noooo! Not again! Get away from me!!"

The mummies are naff TR monsters. They move slow and you do not even get the satisfaction of killing them. This is a common source of frustration throughout TRLR. When I play as Lara I want to blast enemies to kingdom come, not use them as makeshift battering rams. The evil black dogs are better. They are fast, expendable, and all intent on using you as a subsititute for Pedigree Chum. Top marks to them.

I will not go into the whole Horus/Set/Awakening thing because I still do not fully understand it, even having completed the game three times. I will though pay mind to some of the strange contraptions that hog the game-play. I have already mentioned the giant spikes, but the twirling helicopter rotor thing should also be given a nod because it is a clever device and one not easy to best.

The device that will cause you the most trouble is the revolving room. This is the level centrepiece. Predictably it is controlled by a bunch of those pesky Egyptian levers (btw - Got morning sickness? Pull an Egyptian lever), but it does provide a good challenge. In fact, on the whole this level is a marked improvement over the Tomb of Seth. It is not overly large, just stylish, sleek, clever, and by far the highlight of the entire first section.. 8/10

Best Part - Working you way through the revolving room

Worst Part - Not being able to kill the mummies

Secrets - I get tired of missing secrets because I cannot go back to them in my own time.

This level is most like - The London Museum of National History, Egyptian Section

Milk - Good for you.

(The spike-monster had trouble keeping its mouth shut)

(This was the 50th analysis thread, so yay for that! Thanks to Nicky AKA "Picnic", and Elen AKA "Bossy boots" for their vital contributions over the years )

[ 23. October 2005, 03:36: Message edited by: Scottlee ]
Scottlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-05, 09:02   #2
Anubis_AF
Tomb Raider

Arrow

Quote:
Originally posted by Scottlee:
These days it would probably fetch in the region of 1500-2000. If we look inside the piece we should see the ancient markings of....Oh...What's this blue shotgun wideshot ammo doing in here?)
LMAO

Quote:

"Look at those scratches! Oh my poor dear. Hang on. I've got a bandage in my medi-pack". The mummy in turn would have replied - "Bandages??? Noooo! Not again! Get away from me!!"
LOL!!!
Anubis_AF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-05, 09:06   #3
Tomb Raider Master
Tomb Raider

Thumbs up

Excellent work Scott! I like it.

Quote:
Women, know your limits!
You gotta be kiddin'!
Tomb Raider Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-05, 10:41   #4
Neteru
Tomb Raider

Hey! 50th analysis thread. Congratulations Scott (and picnic and bossy boots )
Old 23-10-05, 11:41   #5
Nicky
Tomb Raider

Talking

Quote:
(The spike-monster had trouble keeping its mouth shut)
Nicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-05, 11:43   #6
Gabi
Super Moderator

Talking

I just love it!!!

And I am looking forward to the next 50. (congrats for that, btw. )
Gabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-05, 13:27   #7
ELEN
Most Honourable Member

Talking

Awesome!!!
ELEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-05, 15:00   #8
Mona Sax
Tomb Raider

Great review, congrats!
Old 23-10-05, 15:37   #9
Angelus

Quote:

Milk - Good for you.

Lmao!!
Angelus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-05, 21:49   #10
Laras Backpack
Relic Hunter

Excellent as always! Can't wait for the next one!