Default I want a second chance

People say life is full of second chances,
yet this part is not.
My future is decided,
in pressure, rush and in time.
If I fail, no second chances,
my future is decided.

Errr... yes, Dingaling's crappy poem corner
But, being serious now *puts on serious face* (), I have sat seven exams so far and I have the utmost feeling I have done completely crap in absolutely all of them. No matter how hard I tried or revised, I went into the exam and just completely mucked everything up.
Tomorrow, I have Accounting. I have revised, I know things but whenever I see questions I freak. I know the answers but I'm worried about my wording (hello Administration!), my layouts, whether I'm even putting the correct thing down.
And of course, there are some parts I just don't know what I'm doing. Balance Sheets, Appropriation Accounts, Statement of Accounts, Ratios, Ledger Accounts, Break-Even, Trading and Profit and Loss Accounts - my whole two year course in other words. I don't know where to put things or where the numbers are coming from.

If my grades are bad, my mum will go mental. If my grades are bad, I will be upset. I do not want to do this next exams and I do not want to meet August 8th.

Anyone good at teaching and Accounting? Or a good advice givereverer? Anyone want to rant as well? Anyone want to destroy school and exams?
Dingaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-06, 20:47   #2
jarhead

i think exams shoulod be only 20% so its not a bigger deal if you dont do very well, and rest coursework.

i dsont think you've fialed or done bad. if you walk out of an exam thinking you've failed you'll do better then what you expected as apposed to thinking you have passed with flying colours.
jarhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-06, 20:50   #3
xMiSsCrOfTx

Well... The poem was good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingaling
Anyone want to destroy school and exams?
YES!
xMiSsCrOfTx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-06, 20:55   #4
Elysia

I am a teacher... and I'll let you into a little secret:

No one wants you to fail. A lot of people see exams as an exercise in 'let's see if we can mark this one as low as possible', whereas the truth of the matter is actually completely the opposite. When I mark exam papers, I am actively looking to find ways to give people marks, not take them away - it is in the guidance given when you mark exam papers.

Seriosuly - there is no point in worrying. Once the exam is over, try to forget about it and concentrate on your future exams. No one has found a way of turning the clock back, so what is in the past is in the past, and there's nothing you can do about it... so why worry?

(Heh, this is from a song, I'm not going to say by whom because it's a bit mbarrassing, but my Dad used to quote it to us (me, my brother and my sister) when we used to get stressed about stuff...
'Why worry?
There should be laughter after pain
There should be sunshine after rain
These things have always been the same
So why worry now?'

These words always cheer me up!)

Anyway, I'm sure you;ve done fine (And if you want failure, try the 17% I got in my first year at University!!)
Elysia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-06, 21:04   #5
illuminati30

Quote:
People say life is full of second chances,
yet this part is not.
My future is decided,
in pressure, rush and in time.
If I fail, no second chances,
my future is decided.

Errr... yes, Dingaling's crappy poem corner
But, being serious now *puts on serious face* (), I have sat seven exams so far and I have the utmost feeling I have done completely crap in absolutely all of them. No matter how hard I tried or revised, I went into the exam and just completely mucked everything up.
Tomorrow, I have Accounting. I have revised, I know things but whenever I see questions I freak. I know the answers but I'm worried about my wording (hello Administration!), my layouts, whether I'm even putting the correct thing down.
And of course, there are some parts I just don't know what I'm doing. Balance Sheets, Appropriation Accounts, Statement of Accounts, Ratios, Ledger Accounts, Break-Even, Trading and Profit and Loss Accounts - my whole two year course in other words. I don't know where to put things or where the numbers are coming from.

If my grades are bad, my mum will go mental. If my grades are bad, I will be upset. I do not want to do this next exams and I do not want to meet August 8th.

Anyone good at teaching and Accounting? Or a good advice givereverer? Anyone want to rant as well? Anyone want to destroy school and exams?
What age are you? What exams you doing? Dont forget its not the be-all and end-all. You have your whole life to learn. I see you are in Scotland, there is always college, and if it is highers you are doing you can sit them at any stage of your life. As long as you gave it your best shot, thats all anyone can ask of you.
illuminati30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-06, 21:18   #6
Dingaling
Golden

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarhead
i dsont think you've fialed or done bad. if you walk out of an exam thinking you've failed you'll do better then what you expected as apposed to thinking you have passed with flying colours
I suppose that is a good way of thinking about it I mean, if I think I've failed then I won't be as disaappointed. Yay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiSsCrOfT
Well... The poem was good.
Awww

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysia
When I mark exam papers, I am actively looking to find ways to give people marks, not take them away - it is in the guidance given when you mark exam papers.
Really?! Really?! REALLY?! Yay again! That's cheered me up even more Do they also give marks for a sense of humour? I didn't know the answer to a question so I put a stupid one down instead

And those lyrics were very nice Elysia And your errmm... mark will probably be better than mine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illuminati
What age are you? What exams you doing? Dont forget its not the be-all and end-all. You have your whole life to learn. I see you are in Scotland, there is always college, and if it is highers you are doing you can sit them at any stage of your life. As long as you gave it your best shot, thats all anyone can ask of you.
That be 15 and Standard Grade. My teachers got it drilled into our head that if we mess up, we mess up fo' life, yo'. Teeheehee. And my mum isn't exactly helping either. The teachers might as well have said if we fail we should chuck ourselves in front of a moving car -_-
Old 25-05-06, 21:27   #7
illuminati30

Quote:

That be 15 and Standard Grade. My teachers got it drilled into our head that if we mess up, we mess up fo' life, yo'. Teeheehee. And my mum isn't exactly helping either. The teachers might as well have said if we fail we should chuck ourselves in front of a moving car -_-
Blah! Teachers at schools here always tell you that crap I dunno why but teachers here seem to tell kids nothing but negative stuff!!! Its insane!

You can go to college and do intermediate, thats the same as standard grade, and then you can do highers. College is a great option, much better than being at school, much more freedom and you are treated like an adult rather than a kid. I hated being spoken down to at school by teachers, but i was a bit of a rebel.

Really, you shouldnt worry about this, you are 15 years old! All that should be worrying you at this age is how to get Lara past the Ghana stage in tomb raider legend or something.

Remind your mother, that there is always college and you can do resits. Also tell her that you are doing the best you can do, and she cant expect more from you than that. Dont beat yourself up about this. You have many many options.

Also, in first year at uni, after my first exam, i was convinced I failed, but I didnt. Just wait and see your results, you sound like you work hard so you will be fine. Also remember that i am sure the other students found it hard as well, and they have to mark the papers accordingly. You might not have to have done as much as you think to get a good grade.

Relax and enjoy your summer, your only young once, make the most of it, and dont feel too pressured, you have you whole life to learn

Last edited by illuminati30; 25-05-06 at 21:28.
illuminati30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-06, 22:28   #8
Geck-o-Lizard

Teachers (well Scottish ones, anyway ) just don't mark to exam standard! That's the problem. I have no idea whether this is deliberate or because most of them have never marked for the SQA. But anyway, basically the exam is testing what you know, not how well you can recite phrases from the textbooks. Teachers are really anal about how you word it - exam markers aren't. In the end exam they're only looking for what you know, they're not trying to make you fail because you couldn't recite paragraphs word-perfect from your textbook.

In fact markers prefer students who can present their knowledge fluidly rather than having pre-memorised jigsaw-style sentences stuck together into paragraphs - because it shows they actually learned it!

You've revised what you need to know. You're going to go into the exam tomorrow and you're going to answer all those questions and come back out wondering why the hell you were so worried. Just remember not to panic, because they can't ask you anything you don't already know, and it's not going to be as nightmarish as the teachers would have you believe.

[edit] Just a little anecdote that might inspire some confidence in you. Throughout my Standard Grade years, I was doing Chemistry, and I didn't have the faintest idea about most of it. Formulae went straight over my head (I actually made up some new never-before-heard-of chemicals in my exam) and if you say "mole" to me the only thing that springs to my mind is a short-sighted burrowing mammal. I got a 1 in the end exam. So never give up all hope.

Last edited by Geck-o-Lizard; 25-05-06 at 22:38.
Geck-o-Lizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-06, 22:45   #9
Dingaling
Golden

All I can say is thanks You've inspired confidence! I'll be a little more in-depth tomorrow. Wanna go try one last past paper and then head off to bed (or past paper then watch an episode of Angel, then bed).
Old 26-05-06, 18:21   #10
Dingaling
Golden

Sorry for the double post here, but I thought I'd update. Went into Accounting, and completed it under 30 minutes - with every question answered. And I don't mean half-arsed, I mean full complete answers That was for General...

... the Credit exam took me over an hour. I messed up my Trading, Profit and Loss Account and my Suspense Account but I think I did pretty well overall on the Credit. *slaps self* Don't get your hopes up! *slaps self again*

Yes, so I failed

I took Accounting for Higher and 4 others, but Biology and Accounting is what I really, really want to get into for Higher. Here's hoping