www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider Underworld

Old 19-06-06, 12:29   #11
interstellardave
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natla'd
Can't we Core lovers and you CD lovers get along?

I'm happy TR is getting remade. I'd prefer it if...ah...a certain company-that-must-not-be-named was making it, but I'm grateful that it's getting made at all.
I agree with the first sentence especially, and I would add: we should all be TR lovers first and foremost!

Let's face it, both companies have let many of us down in recent TR titles, and we don't really know how good Core's remake would have been, do we? SCI has taken our ability to know that away, so we should just hope that the new remake is good! We can all agree that we want it to be good, right?!
Old 19-06-06, 12:31   #12
Blackmoor
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natla'd
Can't we Core lovers and you CD lovers get along?

I'm happy TR is getting remade. I'd prefer it if...ah...a certain company-that-must-not-be-named was making it, but I'm grateful that it's getting made at all.
Me too.

You know what Eidos should have done all along is take the best from both companies (Core and Crystal) to make the project team for TR. And not just the Anniversary Edition, I mean TR7 and 8. They both have strengths that I think, with a good Producer running the whole thing, would work very well together.
Blackmoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-06, 12:33   #13
Jamie18
Explorer

Unfortunately, people don't fall into these two separate groups, no matter how much you would like them to.

Stop forcing everyone into a box and just accept that EVERY MEMBER on this forum has a distinct and personal opinion made up of a thousand different factors. The world is not black and white, I'm afraid - it's colour.

Rivendell has a legitimite point - it would be fair enough to say 'look, this thread is only for positive comments - please keep it that way' - but that's not what it is. It's 'CD BASHERS OUT' while you sit and bash another company.

The original question is 'Who's really, REALLY excited?!' - it requires a yes or no answer and maybe an explanation - why make it a divisive issue by saying people aren't allowed to display a particular opinion while you proceed to spout off a similar one except aimed at another company? Why should that even be anything to do with the question?

In regards to the question itself - I am really excited and can't wait to see one of my favourite games remade with glorious graphics.

Last edited by Jamie18; 19-06-06 at 12:34.
Jamie18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-06, 12:36   #14
interstellardave
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackmoor
Me too.

You know what Eidos should have done all along is take the best from both companies (Core and Crystal) to make the project team for TR. And not just the Anniversary Edition, I mean TR7 and 8. They both have strengths that I think, with a good Producer running the whole thing, would work very well together.
True. CD has all the technical prowess in the world... they just need an infusion of "Tomb Raider" sensibilities with regard to level design and some of the "intangibles" that they missed. Of course I really think that some of those guys know that already... I'm betting that EIDOS gave them a lot of their own "guidance" based on tons of Focus Group responses... And all that happens when Focus Groups are involved is a general "Watering-down" process.
Old 19-06-06, 12:36   #15
Pablo.CT
Relic Hunter

Im happy that we are getting a remake. But I dont feel AS excited as when i heard about Legend. Mainly because i know the script in Tomb Raider 1, but im happy its comming, I mainly just wanna see if the Croft Mansion has outside gardens
Old 19-06-06, 12:41   #16
Blackmoor
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by interstellardave
True. CD has all the technical prowess in the world... they just need an infusion of "Tomb Raider" sensibilities with regard to level design and some of the "intangibles" that they missed. Of course I really think that some of those guys know that already... I'm betting that EIDOS gave them a lot of their own "guidance" based on tons of Focus Group responses... And all that happens when Focus Groups are involved is a general "Watering-down" process.
That's funny because that's kind of my take on the situation too. Crystal are brilliant technically. I'm sure they can pull together whatever is required. But, when it comes to a certain kind of "creativity", the Core team seem to have it in spades.

And I think you're right too about Legend smelling of "management decisions based on focus groups". Sometimes that works well, but often I think with computer games, it's better to have a dictator of a Producer in charge with a singular vision of how things should be.

Just my view.
Blackmoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-06, 12:44   #17
black_sheepa
Explorer

I am not really exited of it, but FIRST we have to see and THEN we can criticize.
Really, some people are only sad and haven't seen anything of Crystal now. So FIRST wait until you see what you are criticize!!!

That's the fault of some people here, and second, Crystal did a "good" game. If Crystal do the AE and add difficult puzzles, keys, enemies and a longer game, we will have the best Tomb Raider ever! (But only if they add the things correcly and good!)
black_sheepa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-06, 12:48   #18
Natla'd
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackmoor
That would be lovely - but I think Eidos have taken some perverse pleasure in seeing Crystal Dynamics and Core Design being pitted against each other. If future TRs bomb, they could always bring out a wrestling game based on it.

And very well said, Jamie!
Old 19-06-06, 13:04   #19
Tomb Raider Jay

Exclamation

I think the whole "focus groups" thing stinks!
I know no bashers are allowed but here me out - please

Eidos said they asked the fans what they wanted for TR Legend, sorry but what fan in there right mind would say 'Oh I want TR to be easy and short' - no-one!

And the message they did get from fans was 'make it like Prince of Persia' ?
Who the heck said that? - because as a result any creative and more importantly old stayle TR gameplay was lost when that was said

Eidos promised to go back into the ROOTS of Tomb Raider and discover what made TR such a classic in the first place - but instead Crystal said - 'we got too frustrated with the controls to continue boo hooo!' - while we fans put up with the clunky engine and game controls for 6 bloody games!

Now as for the re-make I am 100% for it and am sure Crystal will do a fantastic job!
Tomb Raider Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-06, 13:19   #20
interstellardave
Tomb Raider

LOL, Tomb Raider Jay!

I think what happened was this:

A lot of people said that Tomb Raider games were too hard (a popular opinion even with some fans).

People said the controls were bad (after AOD this was a fact even to a lot of die hard fans, although we all were used to the previous ones).

EIDOS also couldn't ignore the fact that the games were selling less and less and were meeting with less and less critical sucess too. They also had a new group of fans that could be catered to (fans of the movies).

So what this all boiled down to was "make us a game that appeals to game and movie fans alike that has good controls and is easy enough for anyone to be able to play." It was the lowest-common denominator. CD tried to get innovative but within the narrow context given them it seemed to water down even those efforts. They did make a game that sold very well and that a lot of people liked, but that many die-hard fans do not love, and that's the major problem. It's the game equivalent to pretty-faced bubble-gum pop, not artistic music!