Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > General Forums > General Chat

Old 31-10-06, 02:13   #1
wantafanta

Default What's wrong with high school kids today?

I work with a kid in high school. His name is Ronnie and I think he's a senior. We were talking about crime and gunshots and he told me that his teacher was showing a video from the Viet Nam war. It was an execution. I have seen this video before and knew just what he was talking about. Anyways, it was a South Vietnamese officer holding a pistol to the head of a North Vietnamese insurgent. He was whincing with his eyes tightly closed and he look absolutely terrified. A second later, the officer pulled the trigger and the insurgent dropped to the ground instantly while a stream of blood spurted from the side of his head. It was an awful thing to witness, and it horrified the United States public at the time and turned our nation against the war.
But the kids in Ronnie's class laughed and thought it was funny and asked the teacher to run it again! I post this thread because there was absolutely nothing funny about the video. It was a brutal, sickening thing to see. I have no idea how an entire classroom could find anything funny in this. I don't think most school kids would find this funny. But I hope I'm not wrong. I didn't post this pic here, but you can look for it on your own if you search with keywords: Loan execution Viet nam.
wantafanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-06, 02:18   #2
Captain Mazda
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by wantafanta
What's wrong with high school kids today?
You mean besides "everything"?
Captain Mazda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-06, 02:19   #3
PARANOIA

Such are the pains of a budding student like me who tries to separate himself from the status quo.
PARANOIA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-06, 02:20   #4
Captain Mazda
Inactive

Quote:
Eddie Adams' photo of the execution won a Pulitzer Prize for The Associated Press. NBC also showed film of the execution. Adams said yesterday that Gen. Loan's actions were misinterpreted because of the picture. "The guy was a hero. America should be crying," said Adams, now a free-lance photographer. "I just hate to see him go this way, without people knowing anything about him." Adams said the man Loan shot had been seen killing others and that Loan was justified in executing him.
Christ, where the hell do these assholes spew out of?
Captain Mazda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-06, 02:20   #5
Camera Obscura

Wow those kids must be insane. I saw the picture of that incident but I didn't find it funny. In most cases if students watch a "bloodfest" a majority of the class gasp or cover they're eyes, etc. But it sounds disturbing that a lot of kids would laugh at someone dying.
Camera Obscura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-06, 02:21   #6
xMiSsCrOfTx

I'm a senior in high school as well, and I've noticed very similar things with my peers in school. The example you brought up isn't funny at all, and it's sick how desensitized kids are these days to such horrific things. That's all it is - pure desensitization. Thinking that things with such an impact on someone or something else isn't that big of a deal at all. Can we blame it on movies? Sure. Games? Why not.

I could get into a whole long argument here about what's to blame for kids/adolescents behaving the way they do today, but it could take hours, and I'm tired. I'm only going to say that the root of the problem is the way these kids are brought up nowadays. Think back to stories your parents have told you about them growing up. Families were a lot closer back then, and everything was very different from how it is now. Most children nowadays have become literally detatched from family with everything else going on in their lives.

The way the kids behaved in your example is yet another reminder of how bad things can get and will continue to get because everyone's so desensitized to such things in today's society. It angers me so much, but I've already written enough, I think.

Last edited by xMiSsCrOfTx; 31-10-06 at 02:22.
xMiSsCrOfTx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-06, 02:21   #7
Ikas90
Globetrotter

I really feel sorry for them. They are the kind of guys that become criminals when they grow up.

I respect you for considering that as "not funny", there are a lot of immature people out there nowadays. I just call them "normal". There are two kinds of people in my dictionary: They are "The Normal" and "The Intelligent".
Ikas90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-06, 02:22   #8
DREWY

They have been desensitised to a degree. Kids see more at an earlier age than those before them. Plus news is more graphic than it used to be, not to mention I'll bet every one of those kids has 'killed' many times on different video games. Also don't discount bravado, one laughs they all feel they have to. Also known as peer pressure.
DREWY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-06, 02:33   #9
Hypnosos

I bet one of "the cool kids" started laughing, and then the rest of the group followed. They're sheeps. Monkey see, monkey do. They didn't really think it was funny, they were just trying to show how cool they are by laughing when someone gets executed.
Hypnosos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-06, 02:33   #10
2kool4u

NOO! ITS called nervous laughter!!! Its like when you have nothing else to say. You get nervous so you begin to gigle. Like lets say you see someoneget hit by a car you imediatly go to help them and you start to gigle because you dont know what else to do. It happenes! Its the brains stimuli. (sorry on spelling.) lol its the brains reaction to nervous situations! lol-see
2kool4u is offline   Reply With Quote