www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider Anniversary

Old 28-11-06, 09:14   #1
quetzalcoatl
Student

Default TRAE Lost Valley

It seems from the screenshots that the TRAE version of Lost Valley may be outside?

I always thought, in the original TR, that it was underground? Or was it outside but at night (with no stars in the sky hehe)? Anyway, I preferred how all of TR1 levels were underground, it added to the feelings of isolation and being trapped in tombs/caves etc. I hope they dont add too many outside levels. Anyone else agree?

Oh...over the weekend I *finally* managed to get my old Sega Saturn working again - 10 years after I bought it! And the first thing I did was play original TR on my giant tv with surround sound lol
Old 28-11-06, 09:22   #2
Tomb of Legends
Professor

Well it would have been outside but graphics in those days werent so good. I'd rather the valley in sunlight for a change. Plants dont grow in darkness either so further proof.
Old 28-11-06, 09:28   #3
Catlantean
Relic Hunter

I always thought the Lost Valley was outside, by night. They couldn't make big open spaces in TR1 like they did in TR2 and later games, so they simply made it a very high room and textured the ceiling black (or something like that).
Old 28-11-06, 09:37   #4
fondantcookie
Professor

A lot of TR1s awesome atmosphere was based on this feeling of 'entrapment' and 'enclosure'...

To me, levels like lost valley and colluseum were all underground in caves....and this helped create a claustrophobic feeling...

i would hate for them to turn everything into open air areas just so they can show off the pretty sun-light effects...

Maybe setting some of these 'outside' levels at night would work?

Afterall...it worked in the first two levels of unfinished business... Those starry skies are awesome !!! :P
Old 28-11-06, 09:44   #5
aquario_1984

althou you are probably right i preffer to think that it was setted in cvaes,.. and that thanxs to the scion the animals were able to be presserved and the plants to grow... thats give the feeling of entrapment, and give the scion a lot of more power,...
aquario_1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-06, 10:08   #6
aussie500

It was always outside, and to bright to be night time, you just had to use your imagination a bit where the sky was concerned
aussie500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-06, 10:56   #7
MattTR
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie500
It was always outside, and to bright to be night time, you just had to use your imagination a bit where the sky was concerned
I always thought it was underground, but that's just me..
MattTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-06, 11:13   #8
aquario_1984

i always thought it to be underground.... and the ilumination came from phosporic walls, as some light reflections from some wholes in the stones,.. also the scion made thiongs a little bit warmer inside, and provide the animals a longer live time,.. thats why we see some animals still alive when they were supossed to be extint....
Old 28-11-06, 11:20   #9
quetzalcoatl
Student

Ah, mixed reviews I see! Well I always thought it was underground too, which is why it was 'lost'. As for the amazing plants that could grow underground, well im sure they simply evolved and learned to adapt hehe And probably borrowed power from the Scion - why not?!
Old 28-11-06, 11:23   #10
aquario_1984

exsactly,.. after all, did the scion give enought power to all the atlanteans.?.... what really bothers me is the fact of natlas creating this mosnters, and tihocan and qualopec punishing her for that,.. but still using her creations to defend themselves,.... isnt it too bit strange?..