Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > General Forums > General Chat

Old 25-12-06, 19:54   #1
Catapharact

Thumbs down Rant: Cyber Culture lacks emotional balance.

Ok I don't do this often but these things needs to be aired out.

I am totally intolerent of extremism in any form. I don't care if you're a terrorist, and Extreme right of left winger or an extreme narcissit, a Powderpuff, or a Jerkoff. Learn to achieve emotional balance.

Once I log in to the worldwide web every now and then, I get the same result. I either get total emos, total *******s or total desperate Man mongers (I am talking about the general WWW ppl, not this forum . Put your pitchforks down.) Just the other night, I was was giving this new IM a try and lo and behold I got a chat request from someone I had a few convos with in the past. Well after a few introductions, I did happen to mention to her that I was happily married with a wonderful woman. Gotta say there was this uncomfortable pause on her end. After that, she so happens to mention that her boyfriend broke up with her and she wouldn't mind "hooking up" with me.

Uhhhh... Didn't I just say I was married? Well she didn't seem to care. Well chiqa, I DO! Marriage may not mean to many in this world anymore but it has significance to ME! Have some respect for my sacred bond to my wife.

Seems like more and more ppl need to snap out of virtual daydreams and face reality sooner rather then later. I will give an ear and listen to what you have to say if you're going though a tough time and even give you a shoulder to cry on if I have to. After that, I will give you my take on the situation and how you can solve your problem. But there is a difference between a kind gesture and commitment.

I really hope people can find balance in their lives. Overexurting in anything is not healthy in anyway; Especially cooking up senerios which have a remote chance of comming true.

Last edited by Catapharact; 25-12-06 at 20:01.
Catapharact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-06, 20:10   #2
Night Crawler

Welcome to the internet.
Night Crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-06, 20:12   #3
Forwen

Cyber space means little control and an even smaller risk of consequences. Fortunately it works both ways - you can interrupt an inconvenient acquaintance at any time with little risk you'll be pestered afterwards in your offline, everyday life.

But "little control" also means that you can behave however you wish when you're online without being actually confronted or verified. Compared to real-life restrictions you can be sure that very few of these Casanovas/vixens is as radical in the reality as they're online. There's nothing wrong with that - bless the freedom of Internet before google gets it all
Forwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-06, 20:18   #4
Catapharact

Well again, as you said its a double edged sword. Its not that I am not open to internet freedom of expression, but rather spew out incoherent jargen without second thought as to what they are saying and what the implications of it are.

You wouldn't believe as to how many so called "White Supremacists" I come across almost everyday online Lol! However what worries me is that some of these loons who let their delusion take over go out and then commit some horrid act rather than sitting down and actually confornting as to what is haunting them.
Old 25-12-06, 20:37   #5
BlackGrey
Inactive

You forgot to mention it's full of idiots
BlackGrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-06, 21:13   #6
Catapharact

Arrow

Term open to argument.

People seem to lable anyone an idiot who merely mentions an argument against the belief of the major Populus. All the person may be trying to do is play Devil's Advocate and he gets labled as a Devil.

A discussion is a discussion; A POV is a POV. But be sure to place it as YOUR POV. Do not emphisize that view on all. because not everyone thinks the way you do.

But being discreet, objective and to the point with clarification helps to avoid confrontations.
Old 25-12-06, 21:17   #7
rika2

I seem to notice this more and more... I tought I was the only one...
rika2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-06, 21:30   #8
Mr.Burns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catapharact View Post
Term open to argument.

People seem to lable anyone an idiot who merely mentions an argument against the belief of the major Populus. All the person may be trying to do is play Devil's Advocate and he gets labled as a Devil.

A discussion is a discussion; A POV is a POV. But be sure to place it as YOUR POV. Do not emphisize that view on all. because not everyone thinks the way you do.

But being discreet, objective and to the point with clarification helps to avoid confrontations.

That's what happens when one deals with the close minded and ill informed. Hence why I rarely get into current events or political discussions here. The level of civility usually drops like a rock. As to the Devil's Advocate comment of yours, I've noticed that seems to happen to you alot here.
Mr.Burns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-06, 21:37   #9
dbot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catapharact View Post

I. Hate. That.

I dont know how many times someone online has said something, only for some snarky douchenozzle to come back with YOU IDIOT EVERYONE KNOWS BLAH BLAH BLAH.

Someone online came up with the formula, it was something like INTERNET+ANONYMITY=TOTAL *******

Nothing proves that point more than probably 90% of the people on xbox live who have a microphone. Im sure anyone whos played halo 2 will know what im talking about. You get into the room, one guy comes in, and precedes to shoot his mouth off. "Ooohh yeah, just so everyone knows, I'm ****in awesome, I'm probably gonna kill everyone here." THEN when youre in game, you sneak up behind him, and crack him in the back and get yourself a nice easy kill. THEN he shoots his mouth off about how gay you are and how cheap that was and RRRR.

Props on calling this out, man.
dbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-06, 22:00   #10
Apofiss

Interesting topic, Catapharact. I wonder how do you manage to get all those "total emos, total *******s or total desperate Man mongers" on your way?

Anyways, net is like filled with fine folk and umm.. lets say.. really not so fine folk, so why not to keep away from the places with not so fine folk? (considering it's net so mostly you have a choise) Sounds kind of simple, na?
Apofiss is offline   Reply With Quote