www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Modding > Tomb Raider Level Editor > Tomb Raider Level Editor Tutorials

Old 14-04-07, 03:08   #1
stranger1992
Professor

Question Esse and FURR scripting tutorial

Hi; I know this should be in the tutorial section; but i want to put it here first so even more people see it.

I've just discovered the wonderfull world of custom flipeffects writing and i'm hooked . So; i decided to look at the other parts of TREP and saw the feature where you can make level specific engine changers (like distance and volumectrics). I thought it was the greatest invention on earth; untill i read the manual and readme. I do not understand at all how to correctly make specific changes to the script and things like that. Please can someone post an idiot proof guide (one to suit me...)to editing the script aas I don't understand the readme (sorry pyumuach; i just need a clearer explanation )

Last edited by stranger1992; 20-09-07 at 21:35.
stranger1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-07, 05:27   #2
Pyuaumch
Historian

Okay, here is the basics for FURR and eSSe scripting.

First of all, FURR and eSSe are completely different features. FURR is a language do write custom flipeffects and racetimer events. This language used in TREP's internal flipeffect and racetimer editor. Both these features are relatively old, and were explained in User's Guide. I hope everything is clear here .

Now for eSSe. eSSe is a small program that you can download at TREP's site in downloads section. The purpose of this program is to compile additional script and strings files that can be used for advanced scripting and other features. eSSe acts exactly like good old SCRIPT.BAT file, but in our case, it is not SCRIPT.TXT and ENGLISH.TXT files that are used, but SCRIPT2.TXT and STRINGS2.TXT.

SCRIPT2.TXT file is completely not related to old SCRIPT.TXT file, but they are similar in appearance. That is, SCRIPT2.TXT file also contains parameter blocks for each level (each level block begins with [Level] string), but it uses different parameters (all these parameters are listed in eSSe scripting reference at TREP homepage).

For example, let's imagine you have two levels and title flyby in your game. So, base structure for your SCRIPT2.TXT file should look like this:

Code:
[Level]
(any parameters you want to modify)

[Level]

[Level]
Each [Level] block defines parameters for each level (title flyby also counts as level). In each level block you can type any parameters that you want (i repeat, all these parameters are described in eSSe scripting reference at TREP homepage). For example, let's imagine that you want to use very far drawing distance and distant fog in title flyby with Vol. FX turned on, very dense fog in first level with Vol. FX turned off, and medium drawing distance / fog and enabled Vol. FX in your second level. In this case, your SCRIPT2.TXT file should look like this:

Code:
[Level] ; TITLE FLYBY
DD=        100000   ; this is drawing distance
DF=        90000   ; this is distant fog start distance
DFThresh=  100000    ; this is distant fog end distance
VolFX=     ENABLED   ; volumetric FX option for title flyby enabled

[Level] ; FIRST LEVEL
DD=        100000   ; DD should be always high, until you want to conserve resources
DF=        1000   ; very low distant fog start value creates dense fog
DFThresh=  6000    ; very low distant fog end value creates dense fog
VolFX=     DISABLED   ; volumetric FX option for first level

[Level] ; SECOND LEVEL
DD=        100000
DF=        15000   ; medium distant fog start value
DFThresh=  35000    ; medium distant fog end value
VolFX=     ENABLED   ; volumetric FX option for second level
Of course you can add any other parameters to any level block. If you have not used some parameter in some level block, then default value will be used. For ex., if there's DD parameter missing, it will be automatically set to default value of 20480.

As for STRINGS2.TXT file, it is needed for extra strings used by various custom patches (for ex., diary patch needs this, since all diary entries are stored in STRINGS2.TXT file). There are useful commentaries in both SCRIPT2.TXT and STRINGS2.TXT files that can guide you.

Now, let's presume you have finished SCRIPT2.TXT and STRINGS2.TXT files editing and want to see how it affects your game. First of all, you need to compile both SCRIPT2.TXT and STRINGS2.TXT into SCRIPT2.DAT and STRINGS2.DAT. To compile them, you can simply launch autocompile.bat file included with eSSe program, and both these files will be compiled automatically. Then you must place newly compiled SCRIPT2.DAT and STRINGS2.DAT in TRLE directory.

To allow extra SCRIPT2.DAT and STRINGS2.DAT loading into game, you must activate Enable eSSe add-on files loading and Scripted parameters: Episodes I \ II \ III custom patches in TREP. After this, tomb4.exe will load your STRINGS2.DAT and SCRIPT2.DAT files and use it to modify per-level parameters.

Files that you need:
Pyuaumch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-07, 08:08   #3
Titak

Very good Ensi!
Thank you.

Thread stickied.

Please use this thread for eSSe related questions.

Last edited by Titak; 14-04-07 at 08:09.
Titak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-07, 09:35   #4
dox online
Gold Contributor

How do I get esse scripts working?
Old 14-04-07, 09:43   #5
Zig
Historian

Just to be sure, but I'm probably wrong, anyway:when you've mentioned episodes I\II\III, were you refering to the three example levels you've mentioned earlier?
Zig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-07, 10:07   #6
nowid50
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by dox online View Post
You MUST to have the english script
Old 14-04-07, 13:15   #7
Active Man
Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zig View Post
Just to be sure, but I'm probably wrong, anyway:when you've mentioned episodes I\II\III, were you refering to the three example levels you've mentioned earlier?
Yes, you are wrong. Ensi was refering to scriptable parameters divided into Episodes I, II and III. There will probably be even more of them regarding everybodies requests (including my colour requests)
Active Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-07, 13:24   #8
Titak

Quote:
Ensi gave an explanation in post 2 of this thread.
And there's also a manual for the eSSe.

So if you still have problems with it, please be more specific about what you trying to do and which part(s) give you problems.
It'll make it easier for us to help you.
Old 14-04-07, 17:04   #9
Active Man
Historian

Quote:
How do I get eSSe scripts working?
I dont know what exactly you meant with this question, but I suppose that your game crashes during the loading in the beggining. My game crashed too when I copied the Scripted parameters episode I patch with DRC Merger version 3. Then I used the original (downloaded) patches.drc file with TREP, compiled the scripts with eSSe, and the game worked! I wanted to .
So, if this is your case, DO NOT USE DRC MERGER, just copy the downloaded patches.drc in your TREP directory. To Pyuaumch: please fix this bug, because its really anoing.
Active Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-07, 18:18   #10
stranger1992
Professor

Wink What am I do wrong?

hi; can someone take a look at this my script2 and strings2 to see if there's problems as the changes i've done are not happaning. I edit is and then compile it to the root folder...but still...anyway...please look

Script2

Code:
; Now you can add one or more [Level] entries and set any parameters you want!
; Remember that your SCRIPT.TXT and SCRIPT2.TXT files must handle same amount of
; levels, or else strange glitches may appear (for ex., corrupted DD/DF ranges) or
; game can simply crash.

[Level] ; 		TITLE FLYBY
DD=        		100000   ; this is drawing distance
DF=        		90000   ; this is distant fog start distance
DFThresh=  		100000    ; this is distant fog end distance
VolFX=     		ENABLED   ; volumetric FX option for title flyby enabled

[Level] ; 		FIRST LEVEL 
DD=        		100000   
DF=        		1000   
DFThresh=  		6000    
VolFX=     		DISABLED   
PistolsName=                     Twin Pistols
PistolsAmmoName=             Twin Pistol Ammo

Strings2

Code:
; Next goes ENEMY INFOBOX strings
; Enemy infobox strings will be used when Lara will target specific enemy
; and "Enable in-game enemy info" patch is active.

; Enemy class strings
; Enemy class is a simple enemy description according to HP flags.

Non-bleeding
Bleeding
Undead
Armored

; Enemy HP template strings

HP: %d / %d
HP: N/A

;----------------------------------------------------------------------
;level names

;temple 
FIRST LEVEL

; -----------------------------------------------------------------------