PDA

View Full Version : I just saved a hedgehogs life!

trXD
22-08-07, 23:42
Ok so about half an hour ago i went downstairs to get a glass of water. And then i thought i heard something outside so i went through the back door and there was a hedgehog hanging from the handle of a watering can! Its feet were sort of touching the step (the watering can was next to the steps) so it could still touch something with its feet.

I was like "....wtf?". Then i got some oven gloves (i dont want to hurt my hands!) and tryed to get it out. It was sooooo hard!!! Anyway managed to and then i then realised it was a baby! So it took me 15 minuites to figure out what to do with it. Then i decided to put into one of me cages (one that has bars) and i put it outside. Since it is bars the hedgehog can just eat the grass:D and i gave it a waterbowl.

So then i came on my computer and here i am:D

My mom will be in for a suprise tommarow. I told my sister but she was like "oh really...(snore)"

btw hedgehogs do eat grass right?

and also just to clear confusion, the cage is in my garden

AnthonyShock1515
22-08-07, 23:44
That's nice of you.

You'll probablys get a hamper in the morning.:D

viper456
22-08-07, 23:59
hedgehogs do not eat grass lol. im pretty sure they dont.

EDIT: yup i was right

google to the rescue!!

http://www.thehedgehog.co.uk/diet.htm

The best thing to put out for your garden hedgehog is cat or dog food.

Tinned Cat, Dog, Puppy or Kitten food. They prefer Chicken flavours best.

Cat or Kitten Biscuits. Only give meat flavoured biscuits, Fish flavours are not suitable as fish is not a part of their natural diet. The premium brands like Royal Canin, Hills or Iams work out better for them

Spike’s Dinner hedgehog food either tinned or dry available from good pet shops or Direct from Spikes World who also have other quality hedgehog foods in their online store

Any cooked meat leftovers like chicken or mince. Chop all meat in very small pieces. Hedgehogs only have tiny teeth and cannot chew or tear big pieces.

Chopped Peanuts, Sultanas & Raisins

Mealworms make a tasty snack but some hedgehogs can get hooked on them and that can work out expensive

Small pieces of chopped mild or medium cheddar cheese

Lots of Water, especially in hot weather, Hedgehogs drink a lot of water

trXD
23-08-07, 00:00

Damn! What do they eat?
:hea::hea:

amitabha
23-08-07, 00:00
sonic would be proud.

trXD
23-08-07, 00:01
sonic would be proud.

:vlol:

viper456
23-08-07, 00:02
Damn! What do they eat?
:hea::hea:

edited my post. go look :)

trXD
23-08-07, 00:03

EDIT: yup i was right

google to the rescue!!

http://www.thehedgehog.co.uk/diet.htm

omg your a life saver!

viper456
23-08-07, 00:04
omg your a life saver!

well you know, I do try :) lmao

findme
23-08-07, 00:05
Wow, well at least you have something cute to wake up to tomorrow. :P

Well done though.

Angelus
23-08-07, 00:06
well you know, I do try :) lmao

Haha! :vlol:

viper456
23-08-07, 00:10
Could I make another suggestion, hedgehogs are wild animals. You cannot I repeat CANNOT keep it as a pet. It will probably die if you keep it in that cage. Fair enough leave it there over night, give it a bit of food and what not, see if its ok in the morning but please please PLEASE don't try and keep it. It will end in tears for you and the hedgehog

PS: wash your oven gloves eww :p

trXD
23-08-07, 00:10
Wow, well at least you have something cute to wake up to tomorrow. :P

Well done though.

AnthonyShock1515
23-08-07, 00:11
fish is not part of their natural diet.

I'm imagining a hedgehog fishing for a salmon.:p

trXD
23-08-07, 00:12
Could I make another suggestion, hedgehogs are wild animals. You cannot I repeat CANNOT keep it as a pet. It will probably die if you keep it in that cage. Fair enough leave it there over night, give it a bit of food and what not, see if its ok in the morning but please please PLEASE don't try and keep it. It will end in tears for you and the hedgehog

I wont try and keep it. I will give it to one of those animal trust things tommarow:D

Angelus
23-08-07, 00:14

AKA kick the hedgehog out, and tell the poor thing that's it's you and not them. :p

viper456
23-08-07, 00:14
I'm imagining a hedgehog fishing for a salmon.:p

lmao strange boy :p

I wont try and keep it. I will give it to one of those animal trust things tommarow:D

good good :) thats what I like to hear

AKA kick the hedgehog out, and tell the poor thing that's it's you and not them. :p

and that you would like to remain friends ;)

troy tr
23-08-07, 02:09
That's very nice of you. Can we have a cute pic of you and the little hedgehog?:D

Beanz
23-08-07, 03:31
Aww! That's so sweet, strange how they get into those weird positions....

trXD
23-08-07, 07:04
That's very nice of you. Can we have a cute pic of you and the little hedgehog?:D

sorry i dont have a camera that can hook up to my computer;)
but its ok because im giving it away today anyway:D

Admles
23-08-07, 07:17
Well done :)

Nice to see people still looking out for nature.

The only things I get in my backyard are snakes and kangaroos........ and living by a main road 1/2 those kangaroos get hit by cars :(

nicola1986
23-08-07, 10:50
That was really nice of you :hug:

I think hedgehogs can eat tinned dog food :)

Grenade
23-08-07, 11:06
sonic would be proud.
So true! :D

trXD
23-08-07, 11:44
Im keeping it for another day before i donate it. And i named it! It has a boy and a girl name since i dont know what sex it is.

Boy name: Mike (that suits a hedgehog)
Girl name: micheal

Peachy
23-08-07, 12:26
Awwwww, well done! :tmb: I hardly ever see hedgehogs

Jack Croft
23-08-07, 13:06
Well done! Very nice of you! :D

trXD
23-08-07, 13:48
Awwwww, well done! :tmb: I hardly ever see hedgehogs

thanks and thanks to everyone that else that said well done:D

Funnily enough i hardly ever see hedgehogs either. Apart from now;)

Laurencarter
23-08-07, 14:53
On behalf of the Conservation Ecology students from the University of Stellenbosch in South Africa, I would like to thank you for saving the hedgehog and thank you so much for caring for nature.

Cord_Croft
23-08-07, 15:24
Cute ^^

Well done :D

trXD
23-08-07, 18:35
On behalf of the Conservation Ecology students from the University of Stellenbosch in South Africa, I would like to thank you for saving the hedgehog and thank you so much for caring for nature.

wow i think thats the best post i have ever had on one of my threads:D

danitiwa
23-08-07, 18:41
Hedgehogs do not eat grass as far as I know. My neighbour used to give them pourage. :p
But it was very kind of you to do that. :tmb: Shouldn't you let it get back to it's mother though? Keeping it in bars is not a very good idea, now it will lose it's scent and the mother won't want it back.

star girl
23-08-07, 18:48
Aww.... :D

Jacob x5
23-08-07, 18:51
omg your a life saver!

Perhaps literally. :ton:

trXD
23-08-07, 19:17
Hedgehogs do not eat grass as far as I know. My neighbour used to give them pourage. :p
But it was very kind of you to do that. :tmb: Shouldn't you let it get back to it's mother though? Keeping it in bars is not a very good idea, now it will lose it's scent and the mother won't want it back.

Im donateing it tommarow actually, to one of my freinds dad's animal rescue centers (it has cuts all over it). Im pretty sure it lost its mother anyway since it was completley alone

danitiwa
23-08-07, 20:40
Im donateing it tommarow actually, to one of my freinds dad's animal rescue centers (it has cuts all over it). Im pretty sure it lost its mother anyway since it was completley alone

You're very kind XD. :tmb:

trXD
24-08-07, 00:10
You're very kind XD. :tmb:

Junebug
24-08-07, 00:14
That was very nice of you. If I was a hedgehog I'd head over to your house!:D

CAISACO
24-08-07, 00:24
sonic would be proud.

Omg lol