PDA

View Full Version : Media Studies

Tonyrobinson
24-08-07, 02:34
Hey I finish school next year and I want to do Media Studies to become a Director. So first of all What age in the UK do you have to be to get into Media Studies and what grades do you need. I finish school when I'm 16 so do I need to stay on at another school to study or can I get into Media Studies after I do my GCSE's?

Mr.Burns
24-08-07, 02:37
I'd say Rivendell would know since he's currently studying in the same field. If you were in the States, I could better assist you.

Tonyrobinson
24-08-07, 02:38
Cool Thank you for the info!

What's it like in America studying it I'm willing to move.

Mr.Burns
24-08-07, 02:45
Typically you go to a film school. Most programs are four years long and tend to focus on all aspects of the business. My school put more emphasis on directing, screenwriting and editing. I had to push for more cinematography classes. Almost all schools are extremely competitive and there's a mix of field work, class work and theory. I was lucky enough to go to school in the New York area so I had access to the independent film market. Where I am now, there's a very good school but in terms of the film industry, this area is deadsville, so that's a negative. Do your research. Find a school with a balance of: a good program, teacher to student ratio, class size, location, location, location.

Tonyrobinson
24-08-07, 02:54
I'm actually planning on movie to England to look around but I know there is a film school is LA wat I'd like to go to.

jamieoliver22
24-08-07, 07:30
Well our school does Media Studies, and I have already taken it at GCSE level. I am taking it as A-level next year.

Joe_16
24-08-07, 07:48
If your thinking of doing at it A-Level, it's all theory. There's hardly any practical at all.

Jack Croft
24-08-07, 08:19
Well our school does Media Studies, and I have already taken it at GCSE level. I am taking it as A-level next year.

Same. Taking as an A-Level next year. :wve:

Rivendell
24-08-07, 09:31
I finish school when I'm 16 so do I need to stay on at another school to study or can I get into Media Studies after I do my GCSE's?

I guess it depends where you live!

Like the other guys here, I took media studies from year 9, (age 14? I never know how old people in other years are :pi: ) to take at GCSE, then took it for A-level. I'm now doing a Film & Tv Productions course in Uni, which required grades from Media Studies.

Best bet is to just check out the places near you - if your school doesn't do it, and you're determined, then perhaps it's best to take Media Studies at a college for a couple of years - something like that.

:tmb:

Archetype
24-08-07, 09:40
I took media studies as a GCSE.. unfortunately my grades were awful so i ended up taking it as a BTEC first diploma at college.