PDA

View Full Version : Da Vinci Code.. CRAP?

Delakandak
26-08-07, 09:36
Is the Da Vinci Code crap or am i dreaming!..............

Mad Tony
26-08-07, 09:38
Are you talking about the book or the movie?

xcrushterx
26-08-07, 09:38
The movie was kinda dull, yeah and so was the first half of the book, but the second half was good :D

Jake Croft
26-08-07, 09:39
Eeeeek what?!
It was amazing imo, depends if you like that type of movie or book though

Delakandak
26-08-07, 09:40
BOTH MOVIE AND BOOK!:confused:

jamieoliver22
26-08-07, 09:41
I have only watched the movie and I rather liked it :D I thought it was rather clever.

star girl
26-08-07, 09:43
It's SO not crap! :mad:

Lara's Backpack
26-08-07, 09:43
meh...

The movie was good... but they brushed over all the controvertial stuff like it wasnt that interesting. I would have liked it better if they had played it up alittle more, similar to National Treasure.

Mad Tony
26-08-07, 09:46
BOTH MOVIE AND BOOK!:confused:The movie is great, definitely one of my favorite movies made from a book.

And the book is one of the best books of all time IMO. I don't know where you got the idea they were crap.

Zelda master
26-08-07, 09:48
Yeah its crap... atleast the game is... i like the movie haven't readed the book yet:o

Rivendell
26-08-07, 09:48
I loved the book :tmb:

May not have been the best in terms of writing, but I found the plot exciting and fast paced - it kept my attention throughout.

The film was as good as I expected - there's a lot of stuff going through the characters heads - info, history etc that couldn't have been put on screen - so overall I thought it was quite well done.

Neither the book or film of DVC was as good as Angels and Demons though - I love that book so much :D Can't wait for the film! It's faster paced, and more action-packed than DVC!

Lenochka
26-08-07, 09:53
I haven't gotten around to the book yet... But the movie itself was a lot better then i thought it would be :) All the mystery and stuff... Was like a giant easter egg hunt.

Mad Tony
26-08-07, 09:54
Neither the book or film of DVC was as good as Angels and Demons though - I love that book so much :D Can't wait for the film! It's faster paced, and more action-packed than DVC!Yeah, as soon as I read the Da Vinci Code I said "That's it, there's no way Angels and Demons is better than this". After reading Angels and Demons I was shocked at how it was better than the Da Vinci code. :p It's an awesome book, some good twists too. Dan Brown is a fantastic write.

Anyone know if he's gonna publish more novels? I've already read The Da Vinci Code, Angels and Demons, Digital Fortress and Deception Point and I think that's all he's published.

Rivendell
26-08-07, 09:56
He is indeed MT, one called 'The Solomon Key (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Solomon_Key)' is in the works.

Mad Tony
26-08-07, 09:57
He is indeed MT, one called 'The Solomon Key (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Solomon_Key)' is in the works.Awesome! :D But on the publication date it just says 2008 for the USA.

RAID
26-08-07, 10:13
The movie is Tom Hanks's...that's pretty much enough reason for me not to see it.

george_croft
26-08-07, 10:27
The movie it self isn't crap. Comparing the movie to the book, makes the movie look like crap.:wve:

The movie is Tom Hanks's...that's pretty much enough reason for me not to see it.

"Run forest run!!" Can you honestly say that you didn't shed a tear ? :p

ThomasCroft
26-08-07, 10:27
The book: The plot is amazingly exciting and fast-paced; the quality of literature is poor at best.

The film: Includes most of the plotline although misses out a few parts; the acting's very good; doesn't IMO retain the same pace of the book and some bits are found "boring".

RAID
26-08-07, 10:33
"Run forest run!!" Can you honestly say that you didn't shed a tear ? :p

Nope. Not a drop :p I'm insensitive/evil when it comes to movies :p

Last Tom Hanks movie I watched was the airport one. It sucked big time. "The Terminal" or something...

Mona Sax
26-08-07, 10:39
I liked both. Sure, as others mentioned, the writing isn't the best, and I also found some ideas to be a bit unlikely. But it made people think, and that's something great. If you manage to **** off the Vatican, you must've struck a chord. ;)

george_croft
26-08-07, 10:42
Nope. Not a drop :p I'm insensitive/evil when it comes to movies :p

Last Tom Hanks movie I watched was the airport one. It sucked big time. "The Terminal" or something...

Lol :p And yes "The Terminal" sucked.:o

If you manage to **** off the Vatican, you must've struck a chord. ;)

Seams to be quite easy actually.

*Waves Madonna album in front of the pope*

*runs away*

Mona Sax
26-08-07, 10:46
Madonna likes to pose as Jesus, and she's a woman. Both the idea of a human Jesus and female elements in religion are taboo in the Catholic church. It goes in the same direction as The Da Vinci Code, really. If people start to question the church's official interpretation, they question its monopoly on salvation. The church would lose all power.

AODdigger
26-08-07, 10:51
It so so not crap! But depends what kind of person you are... Judging by your avie, it doesn't depend on whenever you're a KTEBer or GROKer.

EDIT: @Mona - Wow! That's a hell of a logical statement! But not only the catholic church question it though. Some more conservative people also think it's crap. But, I think there is some kind of "conspiracy" in the Christ. I'm not a believer or anything, so don't judge me too hard, please, but when you look at the facts (not talking about the movie and book which are both fiction) they make you think... I know it says that we shouldn't question the will and all, but why shouldn't we in the first place? It all sounds too movie-ish :p So, no, this may be crap, but meh.

george_croft
26-08-07, 11:00
Madonna likes to pose as Jesus, and she's a woman. Both the idea of a human Jesus and female elements in religion are taboo in the Catholic church. It goes in the same direction as The Da Vinci Code, really. If people start to question the church's official interpretation, they question its monopoly on salvation. The church would lose all power.

Actually, the Vatican's been on Madonna's arse for quite a long time now. Even before the "crucifixion" and Jesus dress-up (Which I thought was a beautiful, and amazing thing) Singing "Like a Virgin" in Rom would be a sin.
I don't see why Micheal Jackson didn't get into trouble when he was acting like Jesus on his last greatest hits tour, isn't that just as wrong, or wait no...He's got a *****.

I understand what you mean Mona, its just that I think that there's a lot more for them to focus on then on Madonna or The Da Vinci code.

Admles
26-08-07, 11:07
I loved both the movie and the book, even with the changes they made to the movie.

Rivendell
26-08-07, 11:38
Actually, the Vatican's been on Madonna's arse for quite a long time now.

:vlol: :vlol: :vlol:

myrmaad
26-08-07, 12:44

Hence money.

Joe_16
26-08-07, 12:59
The book was thoroughlly enjoyable, as was the film.

Ada the Mental
26-08-07, 13:08
I don't think that the book was crap, I liked it enough (even though it was quite predictable) but I do think it's vastly overrated and that the author took it way too seriously.

But to be fair it's just not the type of book I'm usually into and I found the whole theme rather uninteresting, since I don't particularly care about religion...

As for the movie...It wasn't bad. It was a bit boring and I just couldn't see Hanks and Tautou as Langdon and Sophie but McKellen made it up for me.

just croft
26-08-07, 13:19
I think most peopel that find the movie crap think of it as a true story but it's not it's just fiction and a nice one btw I'm reading Deception point by Dan Brown and have already read all the other books by him... let me tell you Da Vinci Code was the one I less liked but still I enjoyed it alot. off topic - my Favourite one was Digital Fortress and I suggest it to anyone who is searching for something to read.

Admles
26-08-07, 13:25
I think most peopel that find the movie crap think of it as a true story but it's not it's just fiction and a nice one btw I'm reading Deception point by Dan Brown and have already read all the other books by him... let me tell you Da Vinci Code was the one I less liked but still I enjoyed it alot. off topic - my Favourite one was Digital Fortress and I suggest it to anyone who is searching for something to read.

Its no more fictitious than the Bible :D

You're right about Digital Fortress, it was awesome!

just croft
26-08-07, 14:25
Its no more fictitious than the Bible :D

You're right about Digital Fortress, it was awesome!

well althought I agree with your comment I often try to not go tru those ways... you might anoy a beliver and altought I don't belive in god (I know I sometimes say oh my god, and stuff like that but still I don't belive) I respect those who do

Cochrane
26-08-07, 14:34
I've read all of his books and in my opinion, Angels and Demons is by far the best. In fact, The Da Vinci Code was a little disappointing for me, because it didn't live up to my expectations. And I really didn't like Digital Fortress at all. Angels & Demons, however, now that is a really great book, with a good story and lots of action. Not that DVC is bad, it's just not that good.

I also didn't like the Da Vinci Code movie, really, because it seemed to be only about making a big, expensive movie, but didn't really bother to grab my attention and immerse me. But that's only a personal opinion. The book is still rather good.

As for upsetting religious people by saying DVC is as fictious as the bible: I say screw them. We are allowed to upset people who think Kurtis is good or bad, people who think Legend is great or bad, people who think Bush and the war in Iraq are good or not and so on in this forum. Why stop at religion?

just croft
26-08-07, 14:37
I've read all of his books and in my opinion, Angels and Demons is by far the best. In fact, The Da Vinci Code was a little disappointing for me, because it didn't live up to my expectations. And I really didn't like Digital Fortress at all. Angels & Demons, however, now that is a really great book, with a good story and lots of action. Not that DVC is bad, it's just not that good.

I also didn't like the Da Vinci Code movie, really, because it seemed to be only about making a big, expensive movie, but didn't really bother to grab my attention and immerse me. But that's only a personal opinion. The book is still rather good.

As for upsetting religious people by saying DVC is as fictious as the bible: I say screw them. We are allowed to upset people who think Kurtis is good or bad, people who think Legend is great or bad, people who think Bush and the war in Iraq are good or not and so on in this forum. Why stop at religion?

Well cuz for me it's like telling a child that santa is fake :p

I also loved A&D but still, I liked Digital Frotress better

Joe_16
26-08-07, 14:43
I think I actually preferred Angels And Demons over The Da Vinchi Code. Haven't read any of his others though.

just croft
26-08-07, 14:49
I think I actually preferred Angels And Demons over The Da Vinchi Code. Haven't read any of his others though.

Well if you want something to read I would advise you to read them ;)
but the others have nothing do do with the Da Vinci Code or Angels and Deamons.

I read somewhere that Dan Brown was writing a new book wich would be another Robert Langdon story after the Da Vinci Code events

Necromanser
26-08-07, 16:24
THe book was good but the film was crap

walk_man
26-08-07, 16:38
Are you talking about the book made after the movie ? Because I haven't read the 1st book but haven't heard 1 bad word against it.

Rivendell
26-08-07, 16:39
The film was based on the book, Walk_man ;)

Indiana Croft
26-08-07, 16:40
I fell asleep during the movie. I lost sleep reading the book since I was reading it all night, if that tells you anything:mis:

danitiwa
26-08-07, 16:41
BOTH MOVIE AND BOOK!:confused:
People have different views and styles. :wve: Some like it, some don't. :p I've never read or seen either though.

Legend of Lara
26-08-07, 16:42
I liked the movie.

I still haven't read the book. :ton:

FullmetalEd
26-08-07, 17:38
I thought the book had very interesting points, and some great research went into it.

But none of this research can go back to the time that actually mattered; the time when Jesus and Mary were, you know, ALIVE.

Da Vinci was just an artist, and he could put anything he wanted into his art, and yet for some reason, people take it as the truth.

If I painted the sky as purple and portrayed Mary as, in fact, URSELA THE SEA WITCH!!! No one would believe me, and for good reason.

The little theories this guy comes upon are actually pretty nifty, though.

Cord_Croft
26-08-07, 17:41
Haven't watched the movie or read the book :wve:

MiCkiZ88
26-08-07, 17:44
I liked the movie. I haven't finished reading the book =/

Nephili
26-08-07, 17:47
I watched the movie first, and enjoyed it alot. So then I decided to read the book, and liked it even better than the film. So I re-watched the movie and I thought it sucked compared to the book lol.

Other than that I thought it was a well thought out story.

thompa89
26-08-07, 17:48
The movie is crap :p

walk_man
26-08-07, 18:07
The film was based on the book, Walk_man ;)

Yeh I know. I'm talking about the book that was made after it. Because theres 2 books, one before the film and one released when the film was.

ChocChipCookie
26-08-07, 18:13
I thoroughly enjoyed the book, the film not so much, but I didn't think it was too bad. There are many far worse movies out there IMO. I still have to read Angels and Demons - I've heard it's very good! :)

walk_man
26-08-07, 18:15
Has anyone played the game ?

Cochrane
26-08-07, 18:39
Yeh I know. I'm talking about the book that was made after it. Because theres 2 books, one before the film and one released when the film was.

Ehm, sorry, but no. As far as I know, there are four books by Dan Brown in total, two of which feature Robert Langdon (Da Vinci code being the second), and they were all written and released long before the movie.

You might be thinking of Angels and Demons, which is actually the first with Robert Langdon, and was released long before the Da Vinci Code.

Encore
26-08-07, 19:08
I thought the Da Vinci Code was pretty entertaining (both the book and the movie) but people took it way to seriously. The Holy Grail theory it makes is pretty dumb but entertaining as well.

PS.: Paul Bettany as Silas = supreme awesomeness. :o

Ampersand
26-08-07, 20:00
They're both crap imo. xD Film was terrible and the book was an overhyped piece of subpar storytelling.

MeowMix07
26-08-07, 20:35
I've never read the book but I saw the movie. I liked it a lot. A lot more than I thought I would. Its too bad people made a big deal about the made-up theory though. :pi:

Just don't buy the game. It was really hard to figure out, at least for me. :whi: Interesting, but hard. It has a lot of cryptic stuff.

amalitsa
26-08-07, 20:38
the book is awsome!i really enjoyed reading it and couldn't put it down...but the movie...don't get me started...they ruined the book...tom hanks was good but that's it...

george_croft
26-08-07, 21:37

Bought it, but a serious bug/error makes the game die at startup. And the ****ty patch isn't working for me. - Do I get my money back ? No....:rolleyes:

L.C
27-08-07, 00:09

Interesting, but hard. It has a lot of cryptic stuff.

The level details are beautiful, and it follows the movie quite well. It's just a bit repetitive in the hand-to-hand combat, and the characters don't move too swiftly either.

A real highlight was the puzzles. Very difficult some of them were, especially the ones at the end of the game. If I recall correctly, they were bonus puzzles after the main story was completed, to get extra content. Satisfying once you figured them all out, though :D

And there's loads of quite interesting appendices to unlock, giving lots of background information to the story, which is probably the stuff that was in the book but not explained in the film.

Admles
27-08-07, 00:23
I've never read the book but I saw the movie. I liked it a lot. A lot more than I thought I would. Its too bad people made a big deal about the made-up theory though. :pi:

Just don't buy the game. It was really hard to figure out, at least for me. :whi: Interesting, but hard. It has a lot of cryptic stuff.
Aren't all theories made up? Thats why they are theories and not facts?

Remember that the Bible was made up by man as well.......

Encore
27-08-07, 00:30
Scientific theories aren't made up, they're always based on some sort of evidence, something that can be empirically confirmed. They're theories because that evidence can't confirm the whole of it, although the person that defends them considers that logically, the evidence points to his/her conclusion.

Not the case of made up pseudo theories like that in Da Vinci Code which even uses a confirmed hoax as a base (Priory of Sion).

Admles
27-08-07, 00:38
Scientific theories aren't made up, they're always based on some sort of evidence, something that can be empirically confirmed. They're theories because that evidence can't confirm the whole of it, although the person that defends them considers that logically, the evidence points to his/her conclusion.

Thats actually a great, well-phrased explanation.

I loved the theories in the book, it did seem to make sense, regardless whether it was partly based on a hoax.

Its also more believable than the bible.

Encore
27-08-07, 01:18

Lol
That's true.. :o

FullmetalEd
27-08-07, 02:32
Thats actually a great, well-phrased explanation.

I loved the theories in the book, it did seem to make sense, regardless whether it was partly based on a hoax.

Example: Scientists use to believe that petrification of wood took million of years, and they based the measurement of time on "evidence" like that.

Then they saw wood petrify in a matter of hours when Mt. Saint Hellens errupted. So much for scientific certainty, eh?

If Jesus had a daughter, then there would be more than one perfectly sinless person walking around; God chose Himself and a woman because the sin nature is passed down through the fallen, human male.

If Jesus had a daughter, she would have been sinless as well. Yet we never heard of her, did we? ;)

Mary Magdaline was possesed by seven demons, which Jesus released her from. She was the first to see that His body had been removed from the tomb. She was one of His followers. That is it.

She wasn't a prostitute, she wasn't his lover or mother of his children. And if you wonder why there have been so many mix-ups with Mary; in that time, half of all women were either named Mary or Salome. There's bound to be a mix-up here and there.

Admles
27-08-07, 02:55
Example: Scientists use to believe that petrification of wood took million of years, and they based the measurement of time on "evidence" like that.

Then they saw wood petrify in a matter of hours when Mt. Saint Hellens errupted. So much for scientific certainty, eh?

If Jesus had a daughter, then there would be more than one perfectly sinless person walking around; God chose Himself and a woman because the sin nature is passed down through the fallen, human male.

If Jesus had a daughter, she would have been sinless as well. Yet we never heard of her, did we? ;)

Mary Magdaline was possesed by seven demons, which Jesus released her from. She was the first to see that His body had been removed from the tomb. She was one of His followers. That is it.

She wasn't a prostitute, she wasn't his lover or mother of his children. And if you wonder why there have been so many mix-ups with Mary; in that time, half of all women were either named Mary or Salome. There's bound to be a mix-up here and there.
LOL mix up certainly. Just reading that made my head spin :D

Ward Dragon
27-08-07, 03:32
I haven't seen the movie. I read The DaVinci Code and Angels and Demons. I wasn't that impressed with either of them. The stories were alright I guess, but I kept getting distracted by Dan Brown's pompous style of writing above his intelligence and giving everything away at least 50 pages in advance with his clumsy foreshadowing. In Angels and Demons, there's literally one part where *vague spoiler* he's going on and on about how one of the characters would wish the other was dead because of all of the pain and suffering etc. but then that situation gets resolved without anything happening to her. And then in The DaVinci Code, *vague spoiler* he points out something in the very beginning of the book which tells what's going to happen at the end, and I picked up on it so it was anti-climactic And then, I think it was in Angels and Demons, he keeps bragging how smart his character is, saying she's smarter than Einstein, but she doesn't even understand E=mc^2 (towards the beginning, her experiment consumes a ton of energy to create a little bit of matter, and then she is bragging that she made something from nothing just like God :rolleyes: The whole meaning of E=mc^2 is that energy and matter can be converted into each other, and it takes a lot of energy to make up a little bit of matter.) So, long story short, any good parts of the books were ruined for me by the style in which it was told.

I borrowed it from a friend to see if it worked on my PC (it wouldn't start for her). I got up to a part with an insane interactive cutscene just to open a window (I couldn't find directions anywhere on what I was even supposed to be doing). I finally got past it and then got stuck. I looked it up and it was a bug, so I got angry and just gave it back to my friend telling her the game was full of bugs.

2kool4u
27-08-07, 05:32
I liked the movie but lol just when i thought it was over there were 2 hours left of the movie lol.

maximum_123
27-08-07, 10:42
I have only watched the movie and I rather liked it :D I thought it was rather clever.

Me too - :jmp:

The book is incredible but the game is not so good. It's great but the controls and graphics are a let-down.

troy tr
27-08-07, 13:34
don't you dare ditch my fave book and movie:mad: sophie neveu is so magnifique!

Angelus
27-08-07, 15:58
Haven't seen the film, so I can't comment.

I bought the book after all of the hype and thought it was one of the most subpar and anti-climatic books I've ever read. :o And it was really, really boring.

NightWish
27-08-07, 16:23
The movie was CRAP but I loved the book :)

Encore
27-08-07, 17:29

I never said anything about "scientific certainty"; I was talking about theories. Many scientific theories were later deemed irrelevant because of further empirical evidence. That's the whole point of the scientific method; never take anything for granted. Observe. ;)

About the rest of your post, it simply doesn't mean anything to me if Jesus had a wife and daughter or not, so I have nothing to say on that. But what I meant when I called Da Vinci Code a pseudo theory, is that much of the book revolves around something that is a confirmed hoax, which is the Priory of Sion.

Plus, the way it distorts historical facts to make them adapt to their theory (of the church destroying the feminine side of humanity, etc), is a bit insulting. For example, he writes about how pagan religions worshiped the feminin and the church destroyed this which lead to discrimination of women. Actually, women were always discriminated against, in Greece, in Rome, and in most pagan cultures, save for rare exceptions.

a_pok
27-08-07, 19:03
Is the Da Vinci Code crap or am i dreaming!..............

:yik:i can't believe you think its crappy!!
it is one of the best books i've ever read!

Deamonella
27-08-07, 23:20
The book is great,but that movie could have been a lot better.

Encore
27-08-07, 23:34
Most fun part about the movie is how Tom Hanks can act so bad, cuz I had no idea about it. :p

nicola1986
28-08-07, 11:22
I loved the book, haven't seen the film.