PDA

View Full Version : first job(s) crisis

a_pok
28-08-07, 17:30
OK, i usually never bother in getting summer jobs, but this year, my friends, who i see everyday during the summer break, dragged me into it this year.

my first was in catering, that day we were about 10 mins late and when we got there, guests ran to the bus, forced the door open, and put the food on tables and distributed them on plates themselves, in the end, my friends and i got the 10$ we where promised upfront, but were fired!!!

my second summer job was today, this one was my first and last real experience!!
OK, so my friend woke me up in the morning telling me that he found us a job as background crowd actors, we work for 6 hrs and get 10$ just by standing behind actors and watch them do their job.
when my 6 hrs where over, i took off my costume and went to the people who got me here, he said that i shouldn't have taken my costume off and wait for the directer to call it a days work, but then we completed 2 scenes and we still had 6 scenes that day(thats what i heard).
so i threw the costume in his face and left promising myself not to come back.
i ended up having an hr long walk back home(didn't find transportation, didn't find phone to call my mom/sister)

so, did you ever face this bad first summer jobs or is it just lucky me!!

tr_rocks
28-08-07, 17:33
maby u need a job doing wat u want 2 do!!!! wen im old enogh im gonna work at gamecrazy! thats wat i want 2 do!! :D

a_pok
28-08-07, 17:36
maby u need a job doing wat u want 2 do!!!! wen im old enogh im gonna work at gamecrazy! thats wat i want 2 do!! :D

well, what i want to do is stay at home all day surf the net, or play some video games!
if there is a job for that, please, let me know!!

ben_the_joka
28-08-07, 19:31
I'm not sure i understand, why did you take your costume off after just 2 scenes, when you heard there was going to be 6 shot that day?

a_pok
29-08-07, 04:17
I'm not sure i understand, why did you take your costume off after just 2 scenes, when you heard there was going to be 6 MORE shot that day?

because someone told me that its only gonna be 6 hrs, it took us that much to finish two scenes!
reason number one is that i can't take this any more, the costume is two three shirts and we had to stand in the sun all day, so i lasted six hrs, doesn't mean i can last the whole day!

reason number two is that it took us six hrs to finish two scenes how long do you think it will take to finish six!!!
appearantly it will take 2 days!!
i can't stay away from home two days without telling my mom i'm OK, i didn't find a phone anywhere, thats why i ended up walking home!

Lara's Backpack
29-08-07, 06:03
Yesh thats terrible. $10 for all that work? How incredibly lame.

Im hoping that sort of thing doesnt happen to me when I move to Sydney, because Im going to need a job almost instantly to pay the rent.

Stig911
29-08-07, 07:57
This year im gonna get a weekend job at waterstones, when they have a vacaney, i dont think im old enough for game :(

a_pok
29-08-07, 08:09
This year im gonna get a weekend job at waterstones, when they have a vacaney, i dont think im old enough for game :(

good luck.
i wish your first isn't like mine!!

Stig911
29-08-07, 08:24
thx

a_pok
29-08-07, 08:54
no problem!!!
and if you need some advice on what not to do, my two jobs gave me enough experience!!!

Stig911
29-08-07, 09:14
HeHe, ill need alot of advice, i mean i have day release at collage on friday working at a Bistro (training apparently, all im allowed to do is the till, i attacked the chef with a knife)
but i have no clue about much atall lol.

a_pok
29-08-07, 09:33
LOL, the number one thing you have to do is don't do anything stiupid, thats why i got fired twice, coz stiupid is what i am, i'm only book smart not social smart, which is bad!!

Stig911
29-08-07, 09:44
ummmm, uh oh. Me, not stupid, it comes naturally to me.
Omg, I hope nobody there is homophobic :O!!!!!!
That will kill me, and its prettey obvious, since im so camp :S!

a_pok
29-08-07, 09:50
ummmm, uh oh. Me, not stupid, it comes naturally to me.
Omg, I hope nobody there is homophobic :O!!!!!!
That will kill me, and its prettey obvious, since im so camp :S!

well, welcome to the land of unemployment!!
J/K!!
just act natural and don't do anything you're not told to, taking off the costume was my call, and look how good it ended up!!

Stig911
29-08-07, 09:52
Do they wear unifor at waterstones? Not sure lol, ive never seen uniform there. I hope i dont have to wear stupid clothes, i like ma new rave ones fine, and im not gonna but clothes just for a job.
I do act normal, but normal isnt me. :(

a_pok
29-08-07, 09:55
nah, don't worry, they only gave me a costume because i was a royal guard in a mid century palace or something!

Stig911
29-08-07, 09:59
Oh... HAHA!
Well I cant wear uniforms ne way.
Its only a month till i get ma job.
The more I read about working, the more terrified I become.
Im a slow learner unless it involves writing or reading. :S

a_pok
29-08-07, 10:07
don't worry, once you get there, everything goes perfectly well, or horrebly worng!!!
and the worst case senario you get fired which is not that bad, now i can stay home all day playing TR till i get bored!!

Stig911
29-08-07, 10:10
I need the job... I spend 300quid a month plus have a 100 allowance and when im 16 mum and dad are cutting off EVERTHING!
They say they cant afford me and im old enough for a job so i should get one.
OMG so unfail.
Ill have 250 on my birthday to live on till i get a job. :O
Lifes gonna be hell.

a_pok
29-08-07, 10:16
all i can say in this case is good luck, hope you don't turn up like me, and be carefull!

Stig911
29-08-07, 10:36
Well thanks ne way. Ill be carefull, if yooh can cound wearing bright green or pink trousers as carefull...

ben_the_joka
29-08-07, 13:19
because someone told me that its only gonna be 6 hrs, it took us that much to finish two scenes!
reason number one is that i can't take this any more, the costume is two three shirts and we had to stand in the sun all day, so i lasted six hrs, doesn't mean i can last the whole day!

reason number two is that it took us six hrs to finish two scenes how long do you think it will take to finish six!!!
appearantly it will take 2 days!!
i can't stay away from home two days without telling my mom i'm OK, i didn't find a phone anywhere, thats why i ended up walking home!

im not going to say any more, because i dont really understand.

whatevs mate...

clairelovestlc
29-08-07, 14:56
I used to love doing extras work! ok you have to wear horrible costumes and stand in the sun or freezing cold for hours in the same position, but you usually get paid shed loads to do it!

The last one i did i got paid 200 to be available for 2 days ( most of which was spent sitting in the free cafe) and about 5 hours in total of filming... aka stand and look shocked... walk across the stage for 10 min, then return to sitting and waiting to be called upon again.

Its great, i took my laptop with me so got my uni essays done in the breaks. but it can be very boring, very long hours and very tiring as they are long days and you can guarantee you will run late!

a_pok
30-08-07, 09:03
I used to love doing extras work! ok you have to wear horrible costumes and stand in the sun or freezing cold for hours in the same position, but you usually get paid shed loads to do it!

The last one i did i got paid 200 to be available for 2 days ( most of which was spent sitting in the free cafe) and about 5 hours in total of filming... aka stand and look shocked... walk across the stage for 10 min, then return to sitting and waiting to be called upon again.

Its great, i took my laptop with me so got my uni essays done in the breaks. but it can be very boring, very long hours and very tiring as they are long days and you can guarantee you will run late!

yeah, but i was promised 10$ for six hrs, but it turned out the whole 24 hrs, and maybe more, for 20$!!!
i can't do that!!