PDA

View Full Version : So, i think i want a credit card...

fox87
30-08-07, 15:42
I've been thinking about getting one for a while now.. i'm pretty confident i would be able to pay off at the end of each month, you know to save getting killed on the interest an what not... not really sure how to go about looking for one though??

Ive heard people say that just getting one from the back your with (in my case first direct) isn't always the best idea an that looking around always pays off.

So any of you guys have any suggestions?? :confused:

:)

Geck-o-Lizard
30-08-07, 15:50
My advice, get a debit card instead. Credit cards work by putting you in debt. Debit cards only let you spend what you already have. Why do you want a credit card?

ben_the_joka
30-08-07, 15:58
Its a good idea to open a credit card if you have good self control, but why use credit, if you can make the payments with money you have?

even if you dont need one, you should apply and cut it up when it comes throught the post, then your credit history will show you always made payments on time (as you never had anything to pay), giving you a good credit rating and a good limit too, which will aid you in the future for stuff like mortgages.

thankyou business studies!

Trigger_happy
30-08-07, 16:10
If you are really desperate to get a card, do as Geck-o-Lizard said and get a Debit card. The money normally gets taken out within 3 odd days, so unless you spend it all in a day, you can only spend money that you have. Much safer, especially if you don't have a huge amount of spare money lying around.

Soma Holiday
30-08-07, 16:56
I LOVE my debit card...credit cards are good, but a hassle. unless you buy a lot online, then I would DEFINATELY get a Credit Card, cause they are easier to catch if they've been subject to fraud.

petujaymz
30-08-07, 17:42
Serious?

I owe Barclaycard just over 2000, but for some bizarre and strangely coincidental reason they've chosen not to pursue the matter. They're thick as thieves... the lot of 'em!

:wve:

Spitfire
30-08-07, 17:47
I'm getting a credit card as soon as i hit 19 since I need to start building up credit here.

Laurencarter
30-08-07, 18:46
My dad's rule #1 is to never buy on Credit. If you don't have the money to buy something then wait till you have the money

AnthonyShock1515
30-08-07, 19:30
Credit cards are for people who are impulsive have no will power.

I got my debit card when I was 14 and it's great! You spend what you have (no cheating with overdrafts:p.)

Problem is the digits aren't engraved into the card and I've had to apply twice for replacements because the ink rubs off effortlessly. And their use is limited because some shops don't accept them.

You could also have a credit card to impress your significant other who will run your card to it's overdraft limit. Now there's a thought

scion05
30-08-07, 19:36
Solo by any chance anthony ? :p

SamReeves
30-08-07, 19:40
AMEX is still the best. They are death on fraudulent merchants. Good rates too.

AnthonyShock1515
30-08-07, 19:51
Solo by any chance anthony ? :p
hehe you betchaa;):D

ben_the_joka
30-08-07, 19:58
AMEX is still the best. They are death on fraudulent merchants. Good rates too.

Hah are you kidding?

their rates are terrible, a business has to pay AMEX a percentage of the transaction that was processed, therefore, some businesses choose not to acceot them.

thats the case in the UK anyway...

Little-Lara
30-08-07, 22:04
My advice, get a debit card instead. Credit cards work by putting you in debt. Debit cards only let you spend what you already have. Why do you want a credit card?

Do u'r self a favor and take this advice. <------

Stay the hell away from credit cards unless u'r a mature older person with money to burn.

Fish.
30-08-07, 22:05
My advice, get a debit card instead.

Ditto, but this would only work if you have a checking account ;)

Little-Lara
30-08-07, 22:11
/\ Ahh yes, what a fine lesson it makes teaching the value of money. ;) How would u spend it if u don't have it.

Camera Obscura
30-08-07, 22:13
I have a credit card but it's a joint account with my mom. It's only for emergencies so I never use it but my mom uses hers occasionally and responsibly. So if you're responsible then you can try for a credit card, but I recommend you apply for a debit card to get you started. :)

SamReeves
30-08-07, 22:26
/\ Ahh yes, what a fine lesson it makes teaching the value of money. ;) How would u spend it if u don't have it.

Sage advice! :D

Hah are you kidding?

their rates are terrible, a business has to pay AMEX a percentage of the transaction that was processed, therefore, some businesses choose not to acceot them.

thats the case in the UK anyway...

All the cards are going to want their share for a transaction, so I'm not quite sure about the point you are making there. AMEX provides the best protection for the consumer. Yes it comes with a fee, but as they say you get what you pay for.

Mr.Burns
30-08-07, 22:29
Something else to watch out for is that many companies will keep raising your credit limit, even without telling you (this of course meaning that you are making your payments on time). So if you're concerned about spending more than you can afford, ask them to cap your limit until you feel you can handle a larger amount.

By the way: Never had an Amex, don't see much need for one. I'm fine with Visa.

fox87
31-08-07, 09:52
thanks for all your replied!! a very mixed bag of thoughts thats for sure :confused:

i do have a debit card, an do love it - much like the idea of spending my own cash an what not.

ive just noticed more an more that a credit card seems to be the only thing accpeted in some places!?? i mean wtf is with that.

ive had a more a scour on the net last night anyway, realised that http://www.moneysupermarket.com/cards/ looks like a good place to start if i desiced to go ahead.

anyone had any experience with these guys???

:)

Zac Medley
31-08-07, 10:13
You NEED to have a credit card so that you can be enslaved by our emotionless, uncaring, materialistic world ecomony. There is no real money any more. Most productivity these days is really the money spent to finance debt. The credit cards companies make money by buying and selling debt. World banks do the same.

Sales of products are financed by people buying on credit. If we didn't buy our PS2s etc. with credit there would be no jobs making the products, and no one earning wages to finance their credit cards with. It's a circle.

You only exist as a life-support system for a pocket full of credit cards. And that is what keeps the economy growing. Don't you know that yet? :tea:

But seriously,
once you get in it is almost impossible to escape.

Zac Medley
31-08-07, 10:14
Do u'r self a favor and take this advice. <------

Stay the hell away from credit cards unless u'r a mature older person with money to burn.

Mature older persons have credit cards because their money IS burnt (financing debt).

nicola1986
31-08-07, 11:33
I am absolutely terrified of cards, I know loads of people who said they were going to pay it off every month and life would be great and then got bankrupt, the thought of having one terrifies me.

Even having the slightest debt bothers me, when we bought our XBOX 360 we paid it off monthly and it was on my mind all the time just reminding myself not to buy anything till that was paid off because I was so scared I'd fall into that pattern.

Dark Lugia 2
31-08-07, 11:55
You should think very hard, 'cause i know people who got into aloota debt with those things :( one time you gte into debt, you'll get for that card and then again plus intrest, then the amoutn alowed will be gona and you'll find yourself having alot of credit cards, like zac said once your in you cant get out :o