PDA

View Full Version : Possible new feature: official vbulletin blog integration - your thoughts please

tlr online
30-06-09, 21:53
vBulletin, the providers of our forum software, also develop an add-on for blogging. It can be incorporated into our forum. It's not free, so I'll polling to determine whether it would be a prudent investment. I don't mind paying for it if folk are going to use it.

Member albums (http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=154214) and integrated blogging would create a more social platform for Tomb Raider Forums.

Cast your vote.

violentblossom
30-06-09, 21:56
I think that's a bit much.

People have myspace for that reason.

1upMushroom
30-06-09, 21:59
That sounds good! :D

Sir Croft
30-06-09, 22:00
I think it would be cool, sometimes I feel like writting something but I don't creat blogs cause they're boring and it's hard to get visits, so writing here would be far cooler.

Gregori
30-06-09, 22:00
I don't understand why.... :pi:

Nenya awakens
30-06-09, 22:04
I dont think we need it, if people need to express they're thoughts they tend to do so anyway!

jamieoliver22
30-06-09, 22:05
I personally wouldn't - nor would I use one (I still don't update mine often enough). I think it would be too much, and the TRF blogs we tried before never really took off.

Plus, I would like my blog to be on a seperate site where anyone can easily have access too (and link to) and isn't on a topic specific website. Plus, something with a personal touch also.

Rivendell
30-06-09, 22:09
Sure, I'd give it a try I guess! :)

Lee croft
30-06-09, 22:10
i dont want to pay for choclate so this is a no no

AmericanAssassin
30-06-09, 22:11
Hell yes! :tmb: Blogging is something I loooooooooove to do, so I want some. :mis:

violentblossom
30-06-09, 22:11
I will only support this if everyone promises to blog about me. :whi:

tranniversary119
30-06-09, 22:14
I'd love it :tmb:

TombRaiderLover
30-06-09, 22:14
I'm all for it. :tmb:

tomblover
30-06-09, 22:15
OMG, yes thanks. :vlol:

Tony9595
I think no. :)

NightWish
I think that's a bit much.

People have myspace for that reason.

I agree. Dont even know what to do with teh journals in DA ...

TRhalloween
I would use it.

I hope other people do too because you shouldn't pay for something no one will use.

TombRaiderLover
30-06-09, 22:16
I will only support this if everyone promises to blog about me. :whi:

(in Jodie Foster accent.) Yesh, ma'am.

Lara's Nemesis
30-06-09, 22:16
I wouldn't use it but it is cool that you are looking to improve TRF. It needs it:ton:

Sir Croft
30-06-09, 22:22
i dont want to pay for choclate so this is a no no

You're not gonna pay for anything, Justin would pay for the license to use the add-on. ;)

viper456
30-06-09, 22:26
I'm not voting yet. I want to give it some thought and see other peoples opinions first; especially since it would lead to costing J more money.

KC Mraz
30-06-09, 22:26
I'm indifferent, but I'm voting the first option in a "Why not?" kind of way.

If we have integrated blogs it I'd use them ocasionally, but I wouldn't really mind if it is not added.

Reggie
30-06-09, 22:27
I can honestly say I wouldn't use the blog feature. If I ever have anything to say relevent to my own life or my interests, then I'll try to include other people in that by making a thread here. That's my general approach. Plus, I have facebook.
Also, do you remember the blog site that was set up? I think if the feature was ever going to be successful, it would have been then but people just didn't take to it. That's no fault of anyone's just personal preference I think - nonetheless I think it should be a factor in your decision making on this.

MrCroftAndre
30-06-09, 22:27
I wouldn't use it, so no. :)

Sir Croft
30-06-09, 22:29
I think it would be nice to share your thoughts in with the members from TRF in a quick and organized way, so you wouldn't need to open a thread on that topic, even though it wouldn't be very discussed.

ThatNorskChick
30-06-09, 22:36
I'm indifferent.

If we have integrated blogs it I'd probably use them ocasionally, but I'm not eager for that specific feature to be added :wve:.

Basically what I was gonna say. :p

Encore
30-06-09, 22:55
Can't say I wouldn't use it, but it's definately not a necessary feature and since it costs money, I vote no.

Quasimodo
30-06-09, 22:55
I suppose it could cut down on "boyfrend problums"/"my cet jus pookd in mah cofeh cup"-type threads.

takamotosan
30-06-09, 23:00
Penguins

Zebra
30-06-09, 23:04
I think I'd definitely use it. And it would also be so interesting to read others' blogs. On the other hand we could also just have a subforum titled "Blogs" and everyone can make a thread in there for his/her blog. Would be pretty much the same IMO.

Spong
30-06-09, 23:06
Okay, internet retard speaking here. What the hell's a blog? Is it like an online diary? Like MySpace and all that crap? Because I think that stuff is really sad.

tlr online
30-06-09, 23:07
Okay, internet retard speaking here. What the hell's a blog? Is it like an online diary? Like MySpace and all that crap? Because I think that stuff is really sad.

That's pretty much exactly what it is. I'd like to hear why you think that too?

Spong
30-06-09, 23:13
That's pretty much exactly what it is. I'd like to hear why you think that too?

Well, I guess I can't say I dislike them per se, I'm sure I've just been unlucky in that the ones I've read in the past have all been suicidally boring.

LaraRules81
30-06-09, 23:30
I chose "Wouldn't use it so I'll pass." It's not something I'll need :)

Anajrob
30-06-09, 23:33
Wouldn't use it so I'll pass.

Spong
30-06-09, 23:38
I'll chuck my vote away and say; Why oh why... de-Penguin!
I don't want to say no because that's unfair on those that want it.

Legends
30-06-09, 23:41
I would use it to save memorable notes that I want to share. :tmb:

just croft
30-06-09, 23:54
Not that I would use it much, but if it's something we can have then why pass?

Gladous
30-06-09, 23:58
I probably won't bother with it. Besides, we have Myspace, Facebook, Twitter etc for that and I don't want Justin people paying for it if rarely anyone will use it. :wve:

Lost_Soul
01-07-09, 00:45
Wouldn't use it...ever.

TRexbait
01-07-09, 00:51
Not that I would use it much, but if it's something we can have then why pass?Because it costs Justin money

I wouldn't use it. Pass. :)

just croft
01-07-09, 01:08
To be honest I only read that after I voted, and as the yes is winning I thought I could just ignore it...

Edit: so my answer now would have been no

trXD
01-07-09, 01:34
I love to blog! There isnt much reason not to have this feature as long as 20%+ people on the forum would use it. Unless it cost's anything, i really have no idea.

TTV
01-07-09, 01:39
I love annoying people with my life, so yeah. :D :p

Edit:
Meh, if there aren't enough people don't go for it, it would just be a wast of money.

Psychos'Я'Us
01-07-09, 01:40
Why oh why... de-Penguin!
Not really interested but I would probably use it :p

Paddy
01-07-09, 01:42
Would love to see blogging on the forum.

Quasimodo
01-07-09, 02:00
You can already use your visitor messages as a kind of mini-blog. I wonder, though, those of you who said you would like the blog feature - what would you write about?

Lenochka
01-07-09, 02:03
Meh, I see no reason for it.

Sir Croft
01-07-09, 02:11
You can already use your visitor messages as a kind of mini-blog. I wonder, though, those of you who said you would like the blog feature - what would you write about?

I'd love to write game news and reviews, it's something I love doing. I know I can do such on GameSpot, but I like to share things I write with people I know, like people in here.
I think it would also make the general chat section more organized, because people could write their life problems on their blog instead of creating a new thread on their friend that betrayed them.

irjudd
01-07-09, 02:13
Not interested in using such a feature or viewing other people using it.

Cochrane
01-07-09, 06:20
I don't think it's a good idea either. I already have a blog, then one on DeviantART and finally Twitter. I will not maintain yet another one, nor will I follow anyone through any means other than RSS/Atom (or Twitter or DA).

freeze10108
01-07-09, 06:26
I don't think my life's exciting enough for blogging, so I probably wouldn't use it.

Zebra
01-07-09, 12:52
On the other hand we could also just have a subforum titled "Blogs" and everyone can make a thread in there for his/her blog. Would be pretty much the same IMO.

As the "No" seems to be winning what do you think of my idea :)?

just croft
01-07-09, 13:54
As the "No" seems to be winning what do you think of my idea :)?

I don't think it would be necessary to go so far. Everyone can write in their own visitor messeges.

disneyprincess20
01-07-09, 14:08
I very rarely update my Facebook status, let alone a blog! If I wanted to randomly express what's going on in my day to the folks here on TRF, I'd go to the Open Chat threads.

Nice suggestion, but I wouldn't use it.

Zebra
01-07-09, 14:10
I don't think it would be necessary to go so far. Everyone can write in their own visitor messeges.

But then nobody would be able to read it because it'd be buried beneath all the chatting that's done with the visitor messages. And nobody really wants to look through all those pages just to find a blog post.

Elmer
01-07-09, 14:47
Blogging isn't the thing for me, you have to update regularly, and people get to know who I am:p I don't want it to be possible to collect all kinds of random information about me:p
(And still I'm happy to post on this forum:D)

adventurerLara
01-07-09, 15:12
I wouldn't use it much tbh :tea:

Laras shadow
01-07-09, 15:14
nahh, thats why we have my space,bebo or twitter:S

snork
01-07-09, 15:19
I am member on a different vbdesigns board, not TR-related, where they have it (and the admins there are very techy-good, I started to like this vbdesigns software a lot, as a plain user / member).

Every user who reached "regular user" status can open their own blog, BUT "premium users" can use it more extensively (more designs in the blog, bigger albums and whatnot).
It is a possible way to raise a little money for the forum. ("premium user" there means you donated a little AND actually want to be "premium user".)

This blog thing can also be a way to move the "look-at-me-stuff" and the "my favourite anything" a little bit away from forums.

Let's say I don't want to open a topic dedicated to Takeshi Kaneshiro, but should user dennis' mom decide to open a TRF-blog about him, I will sure visit. :) (hint hint)

Over at that other place, practically noone actually uses them blogs, because noone wants the on-topic things (read all about TR) to move away from the forums, where it is more accessible (findable) for everyone and on the other hand most of us would have to learn about running-a-blog from scratch. :o

errm, ok, so that means yes, I guess. In the hope it is not too expensive for TRF / justin.

-Chase-Alias-
01-07-09, 15:23
Well I would love it...

TRfan23
01-07-09, 15:48
Penguins! boo boo... I mean they're everything :)

Minty Mouth
01-07-09, 16:24
Yes! That would be awesome! I dont think the Yes option needs to be in the lead for it to be considered. There just needs to be a good percentage of people who would use it. And it looks like there is.

Thanks Justin :)

Mytly
01-07-09, 17:51
Voted for the Penguin, as I'm on the fence - I don't think I'd personally use it, but if other people want it, then why not?

Legend Killer
01-07-09, 18:19
Voted for the Penguin, as I'm on the fence - I don't think I'd personally use it, but if other people want it, then why not?

Those are my feelings as well. As long as it doesn't add much of a load I'd say go for it. :)

Drone
01-07-09, 18:22
y o y? :wve:

larson n natla
01-07-09, 18:26
Yes please it might b a good idea but how you spend the money is entirely upto you lord penguin :p

TRhalloween
01-07-09, 18:29
Yes! That would be awesome! I dont think the Yes option needs to be in the lead for it to be considered. There just needs to be a good percentage of people who would use it. And it looks like there is.

Thanks Justin :)

That's true.
And the people who voted no or penguins may reconsider.

Sir Croft
01-07-09, 21:29
Does it have a free trial period? We could test it for the trial period so you can see if it's worth it.

Chocola teapot
01-07-09, 21:52
More investment into the forums, more of a nicer invironment for the people here, Why not I say!

AmericanAssassin
02-07-09, 02:05
Right now is one of those times when I'd really love to use this feature. I'm dying to blog, but nobody checks my MySpace anymore, so there's no point. I really think the "premium member" idea is a great one. I would pay for such an account, especially if it came with blogging features. It would help raise revenue for the forums, as well. If you don't like the idea of charging, maybe just make it a one time thing. It's a great idea and very good business-wise. :tmb:

Ikas90
02-07-09, 02:10
I'd love it.

Seriously, I have to agree with Melonie. Who needs MySpace when you have TRF with all these features? A lot of people don't use or even like MySpace.

But personally, TRF is more important to me. So I'd love to have a blogging feature.

Sir Croft
02-07-09, 02:23
I'd love it.

Seriously, I have to agree with Melonie. Who needs MySpace when you have TRF with all these features? A lot of people don't use or even like MySpace.

But personally, TRF is more important to me. So I'd love to have a blogging feature.

I agree :tmb:

rowanlim
02-07-09, 03:55
It's unnecessary, probably a waste of money. So I voted Wouldn't use it so I'll pass.

Quasimodo
02-07-09, 21:13
I really think the "premium member" idea is a great one. I would pay for such an account, especially if it came with blogging features. It would help raise revenue for the forums, as well. If you don't like the idea of charging, maybe just make it a one time thing. It's a great idea and very good business-wise. :tmb:

Interesting! I've seen other sites do something similar to that, but instead being called a premium member they got a little badge under their username that said "friend of *forumnamehere*". Premium member perks could include blogs, profile pic, custom member title, etc.

AmericanAssassin
02-07-09, 21:52
^ Exactly. :tmb:

tlr online
02-07-09, 22:14
Right now is one of those times when I'd really love to use this feature. I'm dying to blog, but nobody checks my MySpace anymore, so there's no point. I really think the "premium member" idea is a great one. I would pay for such an account, especially if it came with blogging features. It would help raise revenue for the forums, as well. If you don't like the idea of charging, maybe just make it a one time thing. It's a great idea and very good business-wise. :tmb:

Interesting! I've seen other sites do something similar to that, but instead being called a premium member they got a little badge under their username that said "friend of *forumnamehere*". Premium member perks could include blogs, profile pic, custom member title, etc.

That's a rather interesting idea right there. It's certainly something I would consider.

lararoxs
02-07-09, 23:15
I would use it!:) I would also pay for the 'premium' privileges, but it does depend on the cost of course.

ajrich17901
02-07-09, 23:16
I'll have me some of that, thanks tlr

Don't see the harm in adding more stuff to the forum so why not, Id use it.

Zebra
02-07-09, 23:16
That's a rather interesting idea right there. It's certainly something I would consider.

Is that the reason for those new subforums :pi:?

oocladableeblah
02-07-09, 23:20
I probably would use it at first to check it out, but then over time I would end up not using it so I vote no, I wouldn't use it.

Tombraiderx08
02-07-09, 23:28
im a blogaholic :D so yes

tonyme
02-07-09, 23:38
No, I think it's a bit much. This is a forum.

larafan25
03-07-09, 00:21
I chose the penguin.....as I would feel bad for having it but not using it:p

MattTR
03-07-09, 01:33
Nope, not really a fan of blogging, I have a Myspace and Facebook and that's enough for me, TRF is something different. ;)