PDA

View Full Version : What to play?

Anne Boleyn
15-07-09, 19:13
Well, I'm currently enjoying my summer break and my mind is bent towards a nostalgic trip down memory lane via my old Playstation 2.

The question is, what ought I to play? I quite fancy something old-school, so the choices are as follows:

Tomb Raider/2/3/4/Chronicles (although unlikely the first 3, as I've played them all quite recently)

Resident Evil (original)

Final Fantasy VII/VIII/IX

patriots88888
15-07-09, 19:18
You can never go wrong with TR4! ;)

Anne Boleyn
15-07-09, 19:28
You can never go wrong with TR4! ;)

Too true! I actually played it some months ago, getting all secrets for the first time, but I would have no hesitation in playing it again. In the interests of branching out, however, I was flirting with the idea of a Final Fantasy. I have always considered Final Fantasy VII the best game ever made, but I know it inside it, so perhaps VIII (a bit dull) or IX (Vivi!). The only problem is, FF games are usually such an undertaking, whereas TR and RE are less taxing, and you get to shoot things! :ton::p

Damn my prevarication!

stereopathic
15-07-09, 19:33
i was gonna say TR4 also, but TRC could be very relevant seeing as how the info on the new game reminds me very much of the ireland levels.

Anne Boleyn
15-07-09, 19:44
i was gonna say TR4 also, but TRC could be very relevant seeing as how the info on the new game reminds me very much of the ireland levels.

I've actually only ever played Chronicles once, and all I remember is hating Rome (you don't even get into the Colosseum?!), liking Ireland (so different!) tolerating Russia (which struck me as Tomb Raider II-lite) and hate hate hating Red Alert for its bugginess and the amount of time it took me to trap that damned android! Maybe I've been unfair to it, though, and ought to give it another chance.

TRULuverzz
15-07-09, 19:45
definatly the classic TR's, they p'wn every other game :tmb:

NemesisX13X
15-07-09, 19:49
definatly the classic TR's, they p'wn every other game :tmb:

Bloodrayne 2 pwns all game's asses :whi:

TRULuverzz
15-07-09, 19:54
Bloodrayne 2 pwns all game's asses :whi:

:eek: except tomb raider, and anyway bloodrayne is a recent game rather than old school one i guess

stereopathic
15-07-09, 20:00
I've actually only ever played Chronicles once, and all I remember is hating Rome (you don't even get into the Colosseum?!), liking Ireland (so different!) tolerating Russia (which struck me as Tomb Raider II-lite) and hate hate hating Red Alert for its bugginess and the amount of time it took me to trap that damned android! Maybe I've been unfair to it, though, and ought to give it another chance.

i recently replayed it and appreciated it much more than i did the first time through. it has a lot of things going for it that the other classic TRs don't. for instance, one of the things i enjoyed was being able to just blow through ammunition. i'm a notorious hoarder and finished TR1 a couple of times with way more than 1500 uzi bullets. i don't know why. it's not like i can take it with me. but in TR5, the next adventure's just around the corner so you really can just waste it.

the dialog is snappy, too.

the more frustrating parts are way easier the second time around and as long as you know where to save, you shouldn't have those horrible bugs in red alert. deep sea dive is as stupid as it ever was though. but, isn't ireland worth it? :D

i've certainly become a TR5 apologist, but i can't argue that's it's better than TR4. that's just not true. but it certainly sheds a lot of light on both the history and what would become the future of the franchise. for instance, grapple, pole-swinging, headset? those infamous mainstay's of the modern iterations all got their start in this core-developed title.

might be worth replaying just for history's sake.

Anne Boleyn
15-07-09, 20:15
i recently replayed it and appreciated it much more than i did the first time through. it has a lot of things going for it that the other classic TRs don't. for instance, one of the things i enjoyed was being able to just blow through ammunition. i'm a notorious hoarder and finished TR1 a couple of times with way more than 1500 uzi bullets. i don't know why. it's not like i can take it with me. but in TR5, the next adventure's just around the corner so you really can just waste it.

the dialog is snappy, too.

the more frustrating parts are way easier the second time around and as long as you know where to save, you shouldn't have those horrible bugs in red alert. deep sea dive is as stupid as it ever was though. but, isn't ireland worth it? :D

i've certainly become a TR5 apologist, but i can't argue that's it's better than TR4. that's just not true. but it certainly sheds a lot of light on both the history and what would become the future of the franchise. for instance, grapple, pole-swinging, headset? those infamous mainstay's of the modern iterations all got their start in this core-developed title.

might be worth replaying just for history's sake.

I suppose I can understand its merits: it's short, breezy, fun and Ireland is original and interesting. However, I have a deep-seated dislike purely because of how cheap the game felt. I guess it's due to its coming after the epic, classy and majestic Tomb Raider: TLR, which was touted as Lara's glorious swansong. Both the plot of Chronicles (flashbacks?! REALLY!?) and its lack of central story made it feel like what it was: a cash cow. What always stuck in my throat as well was that this game, which appeared from nowhere and was little more than a 'Gold' edition, was, on its release, given the obligatory 10/10 in the Official Playstation Magazine. I always remember being somewhat offended at that, as it made a mockery of the previous, full titles.

I do take your point about the innovations which found their way into CD's games. However, I always felt that the headset, Zip, etc, were all more related to the movies, and so a combination of the movie Lara and subsequent Chronicles-Lara were responsible for the CD games...