PDA

View Full Version : Things you wern't born in time for....

voltz
09-12-09, 22:20
My list

Jimmy Hendrix
First Star Wars film
Black Sabbath (while Ozzy was still there)
Woodstock
The Ed Sullivan Show

Autolycus
09-12-09, 22:25
Good thread, i'd like to have been born so I could remember my grandad.

Mad Tony
09-12-09, 22:35
Margaret Thatcher as PM :(

digitizedboy
09-12-09, 22:35
^ ****ty period to have been around though huh? :|

I wished I was around to have gone to see The Clash at the rock against racism concert at Victoria park. But I was still in my mom's womb at that time. lol

I also would've liked to have witnessed England winning the world cup in 1966 since England won't get even that close again EVER.

Quite a few things actually, but I won't list them all...

Mad Tony
09-12-09, 22:38
^ ****ty period to have been around though huh? :|Certainly not. Better than Labour. :D

Nenya awakens
09-12-09, 22:41

The woman that made bullying gays "ok" in school.

It was wrong to tell bully's off because that would mean it was ok to be gay.

Idiot.

TRhalloween
09-12-09, 22:48
Jesus.
Moon-landing.
Jesus landing on the moon .. even though that hasn't happened yet :(

Nerd For Life
09-12-09, 22:50
Jesus.
Moon-landing.

It will happen, I'm sure of it.

Mad Tony
09-12-09, 22:51

Idiot.
Never heard anything about this.

Even so, all the good she did outweigh the few bad things. She was certainly not an idiot. Probably one of our best prime ministers.

TRhalloween
09-12-09, 22:52
It will happen, I'm sure of it.

Looking forward to it :)

Mad Tony
09-12-09, 22:54
Also, another two things I wasn't born for - the Roger Moore James Bond films and Aston Villa's European cup win. :(

larafan25
09-12-09, 22:56
the first ice age...

the other ice ages....

the birth of canada......

:)

Nenya awakens
09-12-09, 22:58

Even so, all the good she did outweigh the few bad things.

So what good is this?

Excluding gay rights.

shutting down mines

losing thousands of people their jobs.

selling off all of our assests. (elec) (gas)

Seriously, what?

Surohicko
09-12-09, 22:58
World wars :whi:

Laralissa
09-12-09, 22:59
The 80's! Missed it by 4 months :p

Can't think of anything else at the moment really...

P.s - Dear God, can we not keep politics out of a thread for once? Mad Tony said what he wishes he hadnt missed, leave it at that. Everyone is entitled to their opinions.

Autolycus
09-12-09, 23:05
There's alot you don't know about how her mind worked back then Ben. She manipulated the police force which worked well for her in the miners strike, to say the least.

Idiot.

Imo Nenya she was in government too long and has done too much damage.

Nenya awakens
09-12-09, 23:06

Even so, all the good she did outweigh the few bad things. She was certainly not an idiot. Probably one of our best prime ministers.

You never lived through thatchers reign you have no idea what it was like for the working class people, raising taxes every 5 seconds, introducing the pole tax. You are so shockingly stubbornly patriotic sometimes it sickens me.

da tomb raider!
09-12-09, 23:24
I wasn't born in time to experience gaming throughout the 80s, which left me to salvage what I can from half-broken Master System cartridges today. Missed out on the arcades, too. Ah, well, that's what Midway Arcade Tresures 2 is for!

EmeraldFields
09-12-09, 23:51
The Sonny and Cher show.

:(

Beans-Bot
10-12-09, 00:04
The 60s-80s. I would have loved to be about my age (18) in the midst of all those decades so I could fully take in the pop culture, but alas I was born and lived through the 90s instead. :o

I would have so been a flower child in the 60s-70s. DSOTM and daisy chains ftw. :D

peeves
10-12-09, 00:06
There were several movies i wasn't born in time for. That includes Air America which premiered 5 days before i was born. :(

snork
10-12-09, 00:09
Missed out on the arcades, too.

Those were horribly expensive. :mad:
Well, at least if you sucked at them games, like me. (street fighter ^^)

1 game = 1 Deutschmark

Beans-Bot
10-12-09, 00:13
Missed out on the arcades, too.

When were you born? I was born in '91 and I remember going to arcades rather frequently. Albeit this was probably when they were having their last gasps of air, the skating rink/arcade we used to go to in the mid-90s is a church now. :p

voltz
10-12-09, 00:35
77 for me! I did have enough luck to visit and spend time with a couple dozen while they were still a quarter a piece, problem was I never got enough time around anybody who was shopping to really enjoy it.

Now I'm free (well kinda) to do anything, but sadly they're gone. Guess this is where the internet fills the gap. :p

The Sonny and Cher show.

aw son of a.....

yeah I should add that to the list. :mad:

Love2Raid
10-12-09, 00:47
It would have been great to have witnessed Michael Jackson perform live in the 80s or early 90s. I wish I could have seen classic horror movies like Halloween in the cinema. Woodstock: peace, love and rock 'n roll. :vlol:

peeves
10-12-09, 00:50
It would have been great to have witnessed Michael Jackson perform live in the 80s or early 90s. I wish I could have seen classic horror movies like Halloween in the cinema. Woodstock: peace, love and rock 'n roll. :vlol:

Yeah it's a shame i had to miss the best 4 Halloween movies. 1, 2, 4, and 5. That sucked i wasn't born for them. 3 was outta the question as that sucked ass.

scoopy_loopy
10-12-09, 00:54
Ive often thought I belong back in classical Europe :( :p

Love2Raid
10-12-09, 01:05
Wouldn't it have been great to have lived in the Renaissance period? All those inventions and artists. :D
But only if I were rich though, filthy rich. :vlol:

Peeves: Yeah tell be about it, 3 is absolutely dreadful. But nothing beats 'The curse of Michael Myers'! :vlol: Good lord.

Eddie Haskell
10-12-09, 01:09
Man are you guys young... ;)

I missed out on the Korean War, barely missed out on the introduction of the Hula Hoop and the Frisbee, and regrettably Buddy Holly died a couple months before I was born.

peeves
10-12-09, 01:11
Wouldn't it have been great to have lived in the Renaissance period? All those inventions and artists. :D

Peeves: Yeah tell be about it, 3 is absolutely dreadful. But nothing beats 'The curse of Michael Myers'! :vlol: Good lord.

Halloween 6 was ok but not my favorite due to boringness The revenge is the best IMO and nothin' doesn't beat that.

scoopy_loopy
10-12-09, 01:15

Oh yeah! I wouldnt go back into poverty, decadence all the way - thank you!

voltz
10-12-09, 01:16
Halloween 1-2 need to be edited together and released as a 4-hour collector's edition. (this includes the added scenes for it's TV airing)

Love2Raid
10-12-09, 01:20
Oh yeah! I wouldnt go back into poverty, decadence all the way - thank you!

Yeah, party! (in clothes that must have been so uncomfortable :o)
Looks like we're on the same level. ;)

Big Matt
10-12-09, 04:51
As far as me not being alive for my favorite stuff, I have no regrets. The eighties happened right in front of my eyes. Even though I was a child, I remember what it was like so I'm good.

The first moon landing was probably the event of the century but, I'm quite content just having seen the eighties.

First Star Wars film

I was still in diapers. So, I was alive but way too young for it to mean anything to me. It took a couple of years before I became aware of what would become the favorite movie of my childhood.

I missed out on the Korean War, barely missed out on the introduction of the Hula Hoop and the Frisbee, and regrettably Buddy Holly died a couple months before I was born.

Wow, I guess it's not a myth. There actually are people older than me on this forum.

Mad Tony
10-12-09, 06:41
So what good is this?

Excluding gay rights.

shutting down mines

losing thousands of people their jobs.

selling off all of our assests. (elec) (gas)

Seriously, what?Excluding gay rights? You've given the school bullying thing as an example but I still haven't read anything about it yet. If it is indeed true, it is one her bad policies while in power. But then again, pretty much all governments have in some way "held back" gay rights.

Shutting down mines? More like taking on the unions. I doubt we'll ever have a prime minister that gutsy again.

Privatization is a good thing. You don't need things like power and gas controlled by the government. The left may bash her a lot on this one but I think she did the right thing.

You never lived through thatchers reign you have no idea what it was like for the working class people, raising taxes every 5 seconds, introducing the pole tax. You are so shockingly stubbornly patriotic sometimes it sickens me.But weren't you only really young during her premiership? Besides, this "you didn't live through it" is a silly way of trying to invalidate someone's opinion. A lot of people never lived through Winston Churchill's premiership and yet they still talk about how much of a good prime minister he was.

Yeah, and what about how Labour governments (particularly the current one) have treated the middle class?

Stubbornly patriotic because I like a certain prime minister? No, it doesn't work like that. I'd be stubbornly patriotic if I mindlessly followed all of our prime ministers, regardless of party. Of course everyone here knows that I certainly don't.

As Laralissa said, I answered the thread topic. Leave it at that. Just because I don't have the same political views as you you don't have to attack me for them.

World wars :whi:You know I kind of agree with you there, at least about the second one anyway. I know it was hard for much of the country what with the Blitzkrieg and rationing but it must've really made people band together in the fight against a common enemy. My grandfather was my last immediate relative who lived through World War II but he died a few months ago. :(

tonyme
10-12-09, 07:00
I'm glad to have been born in 1990, I lived the 90s and their amazingness and I don't regret not living the 80s or other decades, anything at all really. Maybe the world wars. That must have been interesting... World War II to be precise :)

Aranara
10-12-09, 07:24
First star wars movie.
First TR Game. I was born in the same year so I couldn't have played it.

Lara's Nemesis
10-12-09, 07:29
Would have loved to be around for the birth of rock n' roll. Must have been exciting to hear something that was so new and different.

Surohicko
10-12-09, 13:59
Got another, Jesus :whi:

Just so that i can change the story a little to my liking
:mis:

Forwen
10-12-09, 14:25
I sure as hell wouldn't want to live through WWII. What the hell is the deal with that romanticising?

Lavinder
10-12-09, 14:37
You know I kind of agree with you there, at least about the second one anyway. I know it was hard for much of the country what with the Blitzkrieg and rationing but it must've really made people band together in the fight against a common enemy. My grandfather was my last immediate relative who lived through World War II but he died a few months ago. :(

Unfortunately you would have been thick in mud and corpses in the trenches, wishing you would get shot just to have some leave.

daventry
10-12-09, 14:56
I was Born in 1977
Star Wars 4 Release ;)
Death of Elvis Presley :(

TombRaiderLover
10-12-09, 15:04
Joy Division
Blade Runner's 1982 release
The rise of synthpop

Psychos'Я'Us
10-12-09, 15:15
The 70's and the 80's :(

Chocola teapot
10-12-09, 15:40
The formation of Saturns Rings...
That is all...

ZapTheLadyBird
10-12-09, 15:52
The 60's and 70's... Especially the Beatles. :(

Then the Monkees TV show and stuff...

Oh, and Bowie :D

TombRaiderCool
10-12-09, 15:57
The 1960's and all the groovy stuff that went with it. :( Looked like a great decade!

I was Born in 177

You must have seen a lot in your 1832 years. :D

Lavinder
10-12-09, 16:18
I would personally rather go back in time, than live a period. :)

Mad Tony
10-12-09, 16:50
I sure as hell wouldn't want to live through WWII. What the hell is the deal with that romanticising?I wasn't romanticizing about WWII, I just think it would've been an interesting time to be around.

Unfortunately you would have been thick in mud and corpses in the trenches, wishing you would get shot just to have some leave.What, at 16? I don't think so. I would've ended up evacuated like my grandfather was. Although, my mom said she would never have let me go so I dunno.

As I said, I don't wish I was around then exactly, it's just WWII really interests me. I hate how people who show interest in that period of time always get criticized but it's ok to want to experience any other decade or era.

Lavinder
10-12-09, 17:17
I wasn't romanticizing about WWII, I just think it would've been an interesting time to be around.

What, at 16? I don't think so. I would've ended up evacuated like my grandfather was. Although, my mom said she would never have let me go so I dunno.

As I said, I don't wish I was around then exactly, it's just WWII really interests me. I hate how people who show interest in that period of time always get criticized but it's ok to want to experience any other decade or era.

I suppose so, but some young men actually signed up earlier than they should have and lied about their age.

I don't mind people having an interest, it's just when people look back at the war and glorify it to be something it never was and they forgot about all the horrific things the men had to experience.

Mad Tony
10-12-09, 17:20
I suppose so, but some young men actually signed up earlier than they should have and lied about their age.

I don't mind people having an interest, it's just when people look back at the war and glorify it to be something it never was and they forgot about all the horrific things the men had to experience.I don't know if I would've done that because I wasn't around at the time obviously. Really, who knows?

I wasn't glorifying the war, I was glorifying the British spirit people on the home front had during the war.

jackles
10-12-09, 17:28

Not all of us........................ ;)

I am reading the things that people feel they missed out on and I have to say that having been around for most of them it wasn't that great! ;) The whole punk/alternative thing was fun but the general vibe of the eighties was doom and gloom. Sixties britain felt groovy.....

Oh and lying about your age to join the war was much more prevalent in WW1 where people had less formalised 'papers', easier to lie then than in a Britain with a much more rigid system. Plus people were much less naive after ww1.

Lavinder
10-12-09, 17:30
I don't know if I would've done that because I wasn't around at the time obviously. Really, who knows?

I wasn't glorifying the war, I was glorifying the British spirit people on the home front had during the war.

I don't know - you show a great interest in the moment, and at the time the war was made out to be a very good experience. I can't imagine you sitting around, not itching to get stuck in.

As long as that's what you're glorifying :).

Reggie
10-12-09, 17:34
I wasn't born in time for:

The 'Thatcher Era' (not that I'm a Thatcherite :p)
The first Final Fantasy game
Tiananmen Square Protest

Can't think of anything else. :/

If we're talking slightly further back, I'd have liked to go back to the 50s when pop culture was still in its infancy.

Mad Tony
10-12-09, 17:36
I don't know - you show a great interest in the moment, and at the time the war was made out to be a very good experience. I can't imagine you sitting around, not itching to get stuck in.

As long as that's what you're glorifying :).Lol, I guess you're right. :p I don't know whether or not I would've been up to the challenge though. The war was certainly not a good experience I'm sure (but some good things did come out of it for the men serving though) but it was definitely for a good cause.

Well, I was mainly glorifying people's spirit at home. People just got on with it and helped each other out.

@Reggie: Come on, you know you are really :mis:

Forwen
10-12-09, 17:38
I wasn't romanticizing about WWII, I just think it would've been an interesting time to be around.

Given the extreme nature of war (especially WWII), I personally consider anything less than OMG I'M SO LUCKY romanticising it.

Rationing, food and fuel shortages, raids, bombings and conscription of both sexes (btw Britain drafted from the age of 18... You'd get there sooner or later Mad Tony :p), and that's just in the relatively unscathed Britain. Civilians always get the shaft because they're the most expendable - of all I've read about WW2 I don't recall any records of civilians from the engaged countries walking around saying "wow, this is really interesting and uniting".

I didn't suggest that you glorified war at all, only that you underestimated it...

Los Angeles
10-12-09, 17:39
THE 80's

Mad Tony
10-12-09, 17:42
Given the extreme nature of war (especially WWII), I personally consider anything less than OMG I'M SO LUCKY romanticising it.

Rationing, food and fuel shortages, raids, bombings and conscription of both sexes (btw Britain drafted from the age of 18... You'd get there sooner or later Mad Tony :p), and that's just in the relatively unscathed Britain. Civilians always get the shaft because they're the most expendable - of all I've read about WW2 I don't recall any records of civilians from the engaged countries walking around saying "wow, this is really interesting and uniting".

I didn't suggest that you glorified war at all, only that you underestimated it...I know I'm lucky to be living in the era I do now.

HOWEVER, despite all of the bad things, it would've been an interesting experience none the less.

You can't deny the whole uniting thing though. I don't know what it was like in other countries but here there was a huge sense of unification here from what I've read and heard.

Oh, and for all those who don't like Maggie Thatcher, this picture says it all

http://toryrascal.files.wordpress.com/2009/10/maggietank460.jpg

WIN.

Would Gordon Brown ever do something like that? Hell no.

TRhalloween
10-12-09, 17:46
and nothin' doesn't beat that.

0.o I also missed the time when double negatives didn't exist.

Eddie Haskell
10-12-09, 17:52

I didn't suggest that you glorified war at all, only that you underestimated it...

There is no "glory" in war when you are in it. Anyone who has been in one could tell you that. Particularly when one sees very much up close the real horror and mayhem that men vs men produces. I could tell you stories that would make the toughest of you shudder and vomit, but suffice it to say that there is nothing good about war...except the moment it ends.

jackles
10-12-09, 17:56
I would suggest that there is a different perspective from the british pov and ww2...and 1. Just like each country will have their own perspective based on tradition and experience.

anyhooooo....... what did I miss....the stone age possibly..........

Your_Envy*
10-12-09, 17:59
I missed old Egypt, Greece and Rome. I'd love to live in that time. :cln:

Reggie
10-12-09, 18:06
@Reggie: Come on, you know you are really :mis:
I'm slightly conservative in some ways but in not in a Thatcherite kind of way though some people would have me down as a Thatcherite for even saying she did any good at all. In that way, I don't like how she's been demonised - being a nation's leader is a very thankless job - just look at any of our Prime Ministers since Churchill and you can see how the media (or whatever section of it aligned themselves against the given leader) of the day ridiculed them at any point they could.

I think its important to put - especially Thatcher into some historical context and I think people will find that in a historical view, she actually did some good - even if she was a controversial character.

CerebralAssassin
10-12-09, 18:10
I missed the big bang damn it.....see what I did there?

Simochka
10-12-09, 18:37
Just one thing. The 80s :cln:

Mad Tony
10-12-09, 18:38
I'm slightly conservative in some ways but in not in a Thatcherite kind of way though some people would have me down as a Thatcherite for even saying she did any good at all. In that way, I don't like how she's been demonised - being a nation's leader is a very thankless job - just look at any of our Prime Ministers since Churchill and you can see how the media (or whatever section of it aligned themselves against the given leader) of the day ridiculed them at any point they could.

I think its important to put - especially Thatcher into some historical context and I think people will find that in a historical view, she actually did some good - even if she was a controversial character.It's nice to see someone give her at least a bit of praise. :tmb: Honestly, the only people in this country that seem to do that are die hard Conservatives like myself. :p

NemesisxAngelus
10-12-09, 18:45
- The possibility to meet Walt Disney.
- The 30s, 60s and 80s.
- How horrible it sounds, experience World War II in Europe.
- The time when James Dean and Marilyn Monroe were still alive.

LaraLuvrrr
10-12-09, 18:57
Woodstock! ::tear::

I think the hippie times wouldve been kinda cool. People were cooler back then imo minus the drugs of course...

Oh and I woulda loved to visit a bath during the Greek times :whi:

And I'd love to have lived in the Egyptian times to learn all their magical secrets! :mis:

Alive_and_Funky
10-12-09, 19:40
Well, for me there is the golden age of boxing (back when Muhammad Ali was still competing), although there are plenty of fighters from other time periods that I would have loved to have been around to see as well.

Being alive to watch Ric Flair wrestle in his prime would have been something special too. Plus, I would have also gotten to watch Ricky Steamboat, Dusty Rhodes, Harley Race, Barry Windham... Oh, and as an alternative there's the Bruno Sammartino era of wrestling.

I would also say being alive when Nirvana were around, but I actually was for some of it (1992-1994); I was just too young to have taken notice of them.

Lavinder
10-12-09, 19:43
I don't like Thatcher purely because when she came in to power my parents lost their house because of the poll tax :(.

Eddie Haskell
10-12-09, 19:46
Well, for me there is the golden age of boxing (back when Muhammad Ali was still competing), although there are plenty of fighters from other time periods that I would have loved to have been around to see as well.

Being alive to watch Ric Flair wrestle in his prime would have been something special too. Plus, I would have also gotten to watch Ricky Steamboat, Dusty Rhodes, Harley Race, Barry Windham... Oh, and as an alternative there's the Bruno Sammartino era of wrestling.

I would also say being alive when Nirvana were around, but I actually was for some of it (1992-1994); I was just too young to have taken notice of them.

Dick the Bruiser and "The Crusher" were the best in my day. Particularly when they went up against the Valiant Brothers (Handsome Jimmy and John) and their brilliant manager "Pretty Boy" Bobby Heenan. Heenan was hands down the greatest talker in Wrestling history.

Dusty Rhodes was hilarious, I remember watching a match when he "broke" Dr.X's leg with (and get this) a ringside typewriter... :)

CroftGameGirl
10-12-09, 20:22
Jesus.
Moon-landing.

:vlol:!

As for me:
The 60s
The 70s
The 80s
Some of the greatest bands/performers of all time (eg, Jimi Hendrix, ACDC, Aerosmith, Bon Jovi... etc, I know some of them are still alive and still kicking, but they were best when they first came out, imo)
The Berlin Wall falling down

Also including many historical events that I would have loved to have witnessed :D :p

Didn't miss much, did I? That's what the boring ol' 90s'll do to ya :vlol:

Los Angeles
10-12-09, 20:26
The 90's were amazing, too!

CroftGameGirl
10-12-09, 20:38
In their own way, I guess :pi:
But, for me, nothing, compared to the years before :p

jackles
10-12-09, 20:48
One of my strongest childhood memories was of the moon landing, I can remember the sheer excitement of watching telly in the morning!!! (So shallow!) No breakfast 24 hour telly then....and it was in black and white. *sigh*

Mad Tony
10-12-09, 22:35
I don't like Thatcher purely because when she came in to power my parents lost their house because of the poll tax :(.Yeah but loads more people have lost their homes thanks to Labour's recession. It's a shame because there are always going to be people badly affected by a certain government.

mau3genius
10-12-09, 22:40
I've read a lot about Maggie Thatcher, and she's made both correct and wrong decisions (the wrong ones being quite destructive imo :p), I don't consider her to be all that bad. It all comes down to opinions I guess! Besides, she looks a lot like my grandma, I can't be against someone like that lol
Ok, now, on topic. I was already born when Garbage became successful, but I wasn't aware of them since I was too young, so that's something I would've loved to experience.
I can't think of anything else atm :p

Mad Tony
10-12-09, 22:43
All prime ministers have their good and bad decisions, even Tony Blair. I didn't really like him but I think he had a good foreign policy and made the right decision to go into Iraq and Afghanistan. Of course, a lot of people will disagree with me there but this isn't really the topic for a debate on those wars, so if somebody really feels strongly about it they can PM me a reply. :p

I can't see any good things that Brown did though. He's just a total failure. I expect he will go down in history as one of our worst prime ministers - and rightly so.

tombraiderluka
10-12-09, 22:45
The 80s and earlier :(

Reggie
10-12-09, 22:47
Yeah but loads more people have lost their homes thanks to Labour's recession. It's a shame because there are always going to be people badly affected by a certain government.
To be fair, it was mostly a world recession we went through. Labour exacerbated the problem through doggedly continuing to follow policies based on the 'Boom and Bust has ended' idea. As someone who studies economics, you probably have a better idea of what that entailed exactly.

Jedd Fletcher
11-12-09, 00:35
Adam and Eve
Noah's Ark
Abraham (almost) sacrificing Isaac
Moses parting the Red Sea

Seriously though, I wanted to be able to see my late aunt who died of cancer just a few months just before I was born. I'm told she would have doted on us and she was very excited when my Mum was pregnant with me.

Tommy123
11-12-09, 01:38
Woodstock

Lavinder
11-12-09, 10:32
Yeah but loads more people have lost their homes thanks to Labour's recession. It's a shame because there are always going to be people badly affected by a certain government.

I'm terrible with politics - but from what I have heard, we never seem to have a great government :p.

Mad Tony
11-12-09, 14:37
I'm terrible with politics - but from what I have heard, we never seem to have a great government :p.Not normally no. :p However, by comparison, Gordon Brown is exceptionally bad. To not realize this you would've had to be living under a rock for the past two years.

miss.haggard
11-12-09, 16:08
When music was music. It wasnt made in studio with a ton of people on computers, it was made by people who were lucky enough to play an instrument and get THEIR music heard.

ShadyCroft
11-12-09, 16:11
all the stuff before December 18, 1988. :)

sandygrimm
11-12-09, 17:04
the 80s ... American 80s