PDA

View Full Version : Man Suffocates Baby Over Gaming Marathon

patriots88888
12-12-09, 10:08
There's a lot that can be learned from this. From the potential dangers of smoking marijuana (a falsely assumed 'harmless' drug) to properly caring for an infant, to using better judgement of time spent. Unfortunately, all three played a part in this. Sad and disturbing to say the least. :(

An unfortunate accident involves smoking pot, an all-night Xbox gaming marathon, and a 7-month-old baby girl.

While many may disagree that time could be better spent reading a book or going outside, gaming with the kids is a great thing. That especially holds true with board games and playing various multiplayer titles on the Nintendo Wii and other consoles. But when you get all smoked up and fall asleep on top of your baby after playing video games all night, "family night" is taken a bit too far.

Apparently, that's what happened with 30-year-old Emanuel Lawrence from Sunrise, Florida. According to police reports, he allegedly smoked marijuana in the late afternoon and stayed up all night playing an unnamed Xbox video game, finally shutting down around 6 a.m. the next morning. He took a quick nap, fed the baby, and then fell asleep with her lying next to him on a queen-sized mattress. During the seven-hour stretch, he rolled over onto his baby daughter, suffocating her.

Police reports say that he awoke around 2:30 p.m. that day and noticed that he was lying on top of the baby; she was face-down on the mattress. After realizing that the baby was dead, he quickly moved the body to the crib in fear of being arrested. That didn't work however, as local officials arrested Lawrence on Thursday, charging the gamer father with aggravated manslaughter.

According to the Miami Herald, Lawrence is currently being held on $75,000 bail. In addition to his daughter, Lawrence lived with the child's mother, his 3-year-old daughter, and a man described as a "family friend" in a two-bedroom apartment. Are video games responsible for the death? No. What killed this child was pure negligence, however anti-gaming groups will definitely have a field day with this report.

Source: http://www.tomsguide.com/us/Gaming-Marathon-Xbox-Baby-Suffocate,news-5258.html

DREWY
12-12-09, 10:12
I just shakes my head.......

AoD Lover
12-12-09, 10:18
Poor little baby. Unfortunate to die so young :(

Punaxe
12-12-09, 10:18
I'm no expert on the effects of marijuana, but what exactly does it have to do with this story? And the Xbox? What I'm reading is that someone rolled over in his sleep, with very unfortunate consequences. What if they had drunk lemonade and played peek-a-boo all night, the baby joined her father in his bed and the exact same happened? How is this aggravated manslaughter?

Carbonek_0051
12-12-09, 10:24
I'm no expert on the effects of marijuana, but what exactly does it have to do with this story? And the Xbox? What I'm reading is that someone rolled over in his sleep, with very unfortunate consequences. What if they had drunk lemonade and played peek-a-boo all night, the baby joined her father in his bed and the exact same happened? How is this aggravated manslaughter?

I agree, it could have happened even if he wasn't on marijauna. Honestly, I don't like the idea of babies sleeping in the same bed as their parents for this reason. I've always feared something like this could happen, and now I can see it does happen.

tomblover
12-12-09, 10:24
I'm no expert on the effects of marijuana, but what exactly does it have to do with this story? And the Xbox? What I'm reading is that someone rolled over in his sleep, with very unfortunate consequences. What if they had drunk lemonade and played peek-a-boo all night, the baby joined her father in his bed and the exact same happened? How is this aggravated manslaughter? ^^ What he said.

patriots88888
12-12-09, 10:26

I believe it's for not taking proper care of his infant baby girl. She should have been placed in her crib to begin with. The marijuana use, at least in my eyes, contributed to his poor judgement and negligence.

Carbonek_0051
12-12-09, 10:27
I believe it's for not taking proper care of his infant baby girl. She should have been placed in her crib to begin with. The marijuana use, at least in my eyes, contributed to his poor judgement.

A lot of people put their babies in the bed with them, and some of them don't even smoke weed at least to my knowledge.

Paddy
12-12-09, 10:28
A father who wasnt on dope should have the sense to place the kid in the crib.
Wouldnt surprise me if he was on dope when it happened.
Being on any sort of drug can cause impaired judgment, especially alcohol.
Marijuana contributes to a lot of things.

Simochka
12-12-09, 10:29
I believe it's for not taking proper care of his infant baby girl. She should have been placed in her crib to begin with. The marijuana use, at least in my eyes, contributed to his poor judgement and negligence.

Taking proper care? MY sister got a son 2 years ago. And when he was younger (a few months old) he wouldn't fall asleep in his own crib. So my siste rhad to lay down next to him. And sometimes she could fall asleep too.
This was just a accident and the man couldn't do anything about it

LarasClone
12-12-09, 10:30
Everything these appear on the new of young children dying, like the one where this little girl died in a fire while putting christmas decorations on a tree. Its out of order

Draco
12-12-09, 10:33
I fail to see why Gaming or Marijuana had anything to do with it.

Carbonek_0051
12-12-09, 10:34

Don't worry, you aren't alone.

patriots88888
12-12-09, 10:41

From what was stated in the article I believe it did contribute to poor judgement. Just because this unfortunate accident can potentially take place without either marijuana or 'marathon gaming' involved, it doesn't negate the fact that it had contributed. I believe the combination of fatigue and marijuana usage played a significant part in all this. If sharing a bed with his infant daughter was 'normal' practice for him, then I could understand your point better. However there's no evidence to suggest this.

gbetch
12-12-09, 10:50
From what was stated in the article I believe it did contribute to poor judgment. Just because this unfortunate accident can potentially take place without either marijuana or 'marathon gaming' involved, it doesn't negate the fact that it had contributed. I believe the combination of fatigue and marijuana usage played a significant part in all this. If sharing a bed with his infant daughter was 'normal' practice for him, then I could understand your point better. However there's no evidence to suggest this.

ahh, but there is no evidence that states it isn't, for all we know, that baby may have slept next to him every night, it just happened to be on this on night, he rolled over. While i agree that smoking pot can affect your judgment, there is no reason to believe it is at fault in this story. I'm not a pot head, but i do, rarely, get high, all it really does is relax you.

This kinda reminds me of the urban legend of the babysitter on LSD that stuck the baby in the oven. (obviously that was the drugs, im just saying it has that same sort of scare factor to it.)

patriots88888
12-12-09, 10:53
ahh, but there is no evidence that states it isn't, for all we know, that baby may have slept next to him every night, it just happened to be on this on night, he rolled over. While i agree that smoking pot can affect your judgment, there is no reason to believe it is at fault in this story. I'm not a pot head, but i do, rarely, get high, all it really does is relax you.

This kinda reminds me of the urban legend of the babysitter on LSD that stuck the baby in the oven. (obviously that was the drugs, im just saying it has that same sort of scare factor to it.)

Bottom line for myself is: Drugs (whichever they may be) and infant care don't mix.

gbetch
12-12-09, 10:56
Bottom line for myself is: Drugs (whichever they may be) and infant care don't mix.

I'm not saying they do. If you are responsible for a child, you should probably do your best to not impair yourself. I agree that drugs+child care=badness. All i'm saying is that there is no reason to believe that this was the fault of the marijuana (tho it could have been a factor).

Draco
12-12-09, 11:00
I wonder what people blamed infant deaths on before cribs were invented.

gbetch
12-12-09, 11:03
I wonder what people blamed infant deaths on before cribs were invented.

Dingos (they eat babies!)

I;m kinda wonder how many people will get that reference:confused:

Paddy
12-12-09, 11:05

I definitely got that reference :p

Andyroo
12-12-09, 11:26
http://img704.imageshack.us/img704/7232/thedingostolemybaby.jpg

........... It's just an unfortunate accident.

patriots88888
12-12-09, 11:31
[IMG]http://img704.imageshack.us/img704/7232/thedingostolemybaby.jpg
........... It's just an unfortunate accident.

If that were true then I highly doubt he would have been so intent to cover up what had happened...

Police reports say that he awoke around 2:30 p.m. that day and noticed that he was lying on top of the baby; she was face-down on the mattress. After realizing that the baby was dead, he quickly moved the body to the crib in fear of being arrested. That didn't work however, as local officials arrested Lawrence on Thursday, charging the gamer father with aggravated manslaughter.

Whether you agree or disagree with the principle, using drugs while undertaking responsibility for a child will result in an arrest when something such as this occurs.

Sgt BOMBULOUS
12-12-09, 11:38

If he was perfectly sober and clear headed maybe he would have actually felt that he was laying on something and reacted accordingly. Combining sleep and depressant drugs can render someone practically impossible to awake. Also, I find it rather shocking that anyone can defend the use of drugs while acting as parent & guardian.

lara c. fan
12-12-09, 11:52
Man...
Poor girl :(

Seb_01225
12-12-09, 12:12
:( poor little girl

voltz
12-12-09, 12:40
I know there's groups who want to put blame on the weed or any form of gaming in general, but all you can really call it is this... a freak accident, which was cause by someone irresponsible.

I just don't want to imagine what the mother is going through.

Mad Tony
12-12-09, 12:41
If he was perfectly sober and clear headed maybe he would have actually felt that he was laying on something and reacted accordingly. Combining sleep and depressant drugs can render someone practically impossible to awake. Also, I find it rather shocking that anyone can defend the use of drugs while acting as parent & guardian.Didn't you know? It's cool to take drugs these days.

Seriously, don't even try saying anything bad about marijuana on the internet because you'll just get nowhere. It honestly seems like drinking or smoking cigarettes is more frowned upon in society than taking drugs.

Lavinder
12-12-09, 12:45
Marijuana is a perfectly fine drug - as long as you don't have a 7 month old baby to look after. Responsibility comes first before your own personal enjoyment.

Capt. Murphy
12-12-09, 13:27
It wasn't so much the drugs and games' fault as it was the father's... Who just happen to enjoy drugged gaming marathons.

IMHO: Smoking weed (or anything) in the same house with a child is abusive enough. :mad:

Perhaps it's better for the child not to grow up in such an environment.:( That's the only silver lining I can see here. Still, it's too tragic.

irjudd
12-12-09, 13:53
I love Tomsguide.com, but I hate the way they take any old article that misuses 'gaming' in the headline and post it as tech news.

MattTR
12-12-09, 13:56
Sick ass world we live.. seriously. :mad:

Evan C.
12-12-09, 14:10
Neither marijuana nor videogames has caused this.This was an desgraceful accident,but I have seen this a few times and noone was under efects of drugs or alcohol,just negligence or accident.

Dennis's Mom
12-12-09, 14:10
If he was perfectly sober and clear headed maybe he would have actually felt that he was laying on something and reacted accordingly. Combining sleep and depressant drugs can render someone practically impossible to awake. Also, I find it rather shocking that anyone can defend the use of drugs while acting as parent & guardian.

Hear, hear. Replace weed with alcohol, and no one would be rushing to the defense of the dude. But since marijuana was involved, everyone rushes to the drug's defense. St. Mary Jane couldn't have possibly done anything wrong . . . .
It's called a drug for a reason. Just like alcohol, you cannot control it. If you think you can, you have no business doing it, especially when you have a responsibility.

I agree gaming is incidental; it couldn't have been a LOTR marathon. But combining drugs and childcare is always asking for something bad to happen.

Mad Tony
12-12-09, 14:14
Neither marijuana nor videogames has caused this.This was an desgraceful accident,but I have seen this a few times and noone was under efects of drugs or alcohol,just negligence or accident.But this guy was under the influence of drugs.

LightningRider
12-12-09, 14:14
Poor Baby. :(

I hope people think about where they place their baby before they sleep next time. :o

Minty Mouth
12-12-09, 14:16

Im a little late to the party, but I agree.

patriots88888
12-12-09, 14:24
Neither marijuana nor videogames has caused this.This was an desgraceful accident,but I have seen this a few times and noone was under efects of drugs or alcohol,just negligence or accident.

Lol. Do you know what negligence means?

1 a : the quality or state of being negligent b : failure to exercise the care that a reasonably prudent person would exercise in like circumstances
2 : an act or instance of being negligent

No one is stating that he did this on purpose. However he didn't exercise proper care in regards to his infant daughter. And yes, I do believe both the fatigue from prolonged gaming and marijuana usage played a significant role in this unfortunate occurence.

Rai
12-12-09, 14:32
The man allegedly smoked the drug. I think it is wrong for anyone to smoke or take drugs of any kind around a baby. However, this man was still clearly able to to take care of his daughter as he woke to feed her before falling asleep again, this time with her by his side. Was extreme tiredness and the effects of the drug resposible for a lack of judgement? Possibly, but would the effects of the drug have worn off by the time he fell asleep for the second time - several hours after smoking the marijuana? Also, probably.

This was a tragic accident; something this man will feel guilty over and regret for the rest of his life. I don't think he should have been charged with aggravated manslaughter. The death of his child is punishment enough.

Mad Tony
12-12-09, 14:39
This was a tragic accident; something this man will feel guilty over and regret for the rest of his life. I don't think he should have been charged with aggravated manslaughter. The death of his child is punishment enough.He killed somebody. Sure, he shouldn't get 40 years in jail or whatever but there's no way he should get off scot-free.

scion05
12-12-09, 14:42
I agree with you entirely Ben, for once :p

This is clearly child abuse, the type being neglect. Honestly, what was he thinking ? Smoking pot with a child in the house ? Oh come on now.

Lara Croft!
12-12-09, 15:05
As the article points out it was neither the pot nor the gaming that caused the tragic event. It was the negligence of the father.

Shark_Blade
12-12-09, 15:10
Why put her back in the crib, thats just wrong. Should have confess to the police instead. :rolleyes:

patriots88888
12-12-09, 15:15
As the article points out it was neither the pot nor the gaming that caused the tragic event. It was the negligence of the father.

I disagree. I think they all contributed to this happening. When you add up an irresponsible parent, drugs, and the failure to see how his 'marathon gaming' can be neglectful, it's apparent to me at least that they were each to some degree a cause of what happened.

Squibbly
12-12-09, 15:43

My thoughts exactly. He shouldn't have been smoking pot, though.

This is still so terribly sad. I don't even want to think about it. :(

knightgames
12-12-09, 16:37

Seinfeld right? :ton:

The guy will never get a conviction. There's no effective way to tell how much/when/or how impared he was because of marijuana. Was he tired from the gaming marathon? Was he still lit while sleeping?

With so many drunk drivers getting off (and they do with a good lawyer), I can't see this even going to trial.

Personally I believe if marijuana is illegal, then so should alchohol. The detriment to society caused by irresponsible alchohol consumption it a real epidemic and IMO much worse than marijuana use. I lost a close friend on June 28, 1989 because of a drunk driver.

RIP to the infant, and may the family find peace within this storm.

trXD
12-12-09, 16:40
This has got nothing to do with the fact he was gaming, i dont even know why it was brought up in the article. He could have been doing the egyptian walk all night, it doesnt matter the point is he smoked pot.

Paperdoll
12-12-09, 18:19
Regardless of the fact that you should NEVER EVER do any drugs while caring for kids. But in any case, despite it being a part of a combination of factors of an accident that could've easily happened without the gaming marathon and/or the drugs, it seems to me people/the news source/whatever are definitely using to create sensationalism. What else is new.

This has got nothing to do with the fact he was gaming, i dont even know why it was brought up in the article. He could have been doing the egyptian walk all night, it doesnt matter the point is he smoked pot.

How the hell is that the point? Have you ever smoked pot? Have you felt the effects? So the fact that the man pulled an all nighter and was obviously tired had nothing to do with it? Is one of the effects of smoking pot rolling over and over and over in your sleep? Of course he did wrong, but to say something like it was the sole cause... kinda overboard IMO.

CerebralAssassin
12-12-09, 18:28
yes pot does contribute to negligence but if he had the sensibility to not smoke pot while taking care of a child,this probably wouldn't have happened.

so I blame the guy,not the pot

Love2Raid
12-12-09, 18:59
What a sad accident. It shows how important it is that babies sleep in a seperate bed.

It's a combination of factors. The father is to be blamed here for being irresponsible. He took drugs when he should be taking care of the child, he played games all night while he should be taking care of the child. The drugs had no influence on what happened, I think. Cannabis can sedate you slightly, but he used it in the afternoon and he stayed up all night gaming, so...
Staying up all night sure had influence, since he was so tired he didn't even put the baby in her own bed (which is still just an assumption).

But I just HATE it when people blame this on the gaming industry again (some people just love to hate on gamers). Then you should also blame the fast food industry for all the weight that suffocated the little girl.

Rai
12-12-09, 19:15
He did look after his daughter though. He got up at one point to feed her. He wasn't too tired or intoxicated to do that. His only irresponsible act was to have her sleep in the same bed/or sofa as him. But the accident of smothering her could have happened to anyone who allows their baby to sleep with them.

Mad Tony: He killed somebody. Sure, he shouldn't get 40 years in jail or whatever but there's no way he should get off scot-free.

Accidentally killed. Which is why the term of 'manslaughter' is too harsh, as is any sentence he may get with that charge,imo. Maybe it is right he shouldn't get off 'scot-free', but his sentence should be reasonable according to the accidental death.

Carbonek_0051
12-12-09, 19:18
He did look after his daughter though. He got up at one point to feed her. He wasn't too tired or intoxicated to do that. His only irresponsible act was to have her sleep in the same bed/or sofa as him. But the accident of smothering her could have happened to anyone who allows their baby to sleep with them.

Exactly.:tmb:

remote91
12-12-09, 19:21
What an awful accident.

Mad Tony
12-12-09, 19:21
Accidentally killed. Which is why the term of 'manslaughter' is too harsh, as is any sentence he may get with that charge,imo. Maybe it is right he shouldn't get off 'scot-free', but his sentence should be reasonable according to the accidental death.Who says his sentence isn't going to be reasonable? I seriously doubt he'll get a life sentence.

That said though, he'll probably still get more than murderers get over here though. However, that's due to our terrible justice system.

patriots88888
12-12-09, 19:24

True, but someone who gets in a car accident isn't necessarilly driving under the influence either. Just because it could happen that way doesn't excuse the fact that he was under the influence of drugs. And as far as what the article states (and doesn't state), he very well could have been smoking the whacky tobaccy all night.

Carbonek_0051
12-12-09, 19:28
Thing is the article states he smoked marijauna in the late afternoon, but the rest of this stuff didn't happen until early the next morning. The effects of weed do not last that long.

patriots88888
12-12-09, 19:30
Thing is the article states he smoked marijauna in the late afternoon, but the rest of this stuff didn't happen until early the next morning. The effects of weed do not last that long.

I didn't see anything in the article to suggest that he didn't keep smoking as he continued on playing throughout the entire night. Common sense tells me that he most likely did so.

Carbonek_0051
12-12-09, 19:31
I didn't see anything in the article to suggest that he didn't keep smoking as he continued on playing throughout the entire night. Common sense tells me that he most likely did so.

And I don't see anything pointing to him continuously smoking either. So then it's just up for speculation really, and you cannot say that weed is the definite cause of this accident.

patriots88888
12-12-09, 19:35
And I don't see anything pointing to him continuously smoking either. So then it's just up for speculation really, and you cannot say that weed is the definite cause of this accident.

As I stated from experience, most who start don't stop unless they of course consume what they have. Yup, speculation, but you can't be certain neither that it didn't contribute to an extent.

Squibbly
12-12-09, 19:39
Whatever did or did not happen, it is so beyond irresponsible to do drugs and stay up all night while caring for an infant or child.

Carbonek_0051
12-12-09, 19:40
As I stated from experience, most who start don't stop unless they of course consume what they have. Yup, speculation, but you can't be certain neither that it didn't contribute to an extent.

And from experience, that's not exactly true.

Neither of us can be certain, but to be honest, this really could have happened to anyone who sleeps in the bed with their child, weed did not make him turn over on the child, he was obviously well enough to get up to feed her, what happened is a tragic accident.
Whatever did or did not happen, it is so beyond irresponsible to do drugs and stay up all night while caring for an infant or child.
I'm not arguing that, I just don't see how weed cause him to accidently smother his child.:)

patriots88888
12-12-09, 19:46
And from experience, that's not exactly true.

Neither of us can be certain, but to be honest, this really could have happened to anyone who sleeps in the bed with their child, weed did not make him turn over on the child, he was obviously well enough to get up to feed her, what happened is a tragic accident.

I'm not arguing that, I just don't see how weed cause him to accidently smother his child.:)

Well then we most certainly disagree about that. Because whatever your experiences may be, they are far different than the norm when considering your average marijuana user.

No one said that the weed directly caused him to roll over on his daughter. I've only been stating and continue to state that I believe when coupled with the other factors, it most certainly did play a part in this. That part would be carelessness, poor judgement, and negligence all rolled into one.

Mad Tony
12-12-09, 19:51
If this were alcohol no one would be defending it.

Kapu
12-12-09, 19:59
How the hell is that the point? Have you ever smoked pot? Have you felt the effects? So the fact that the man pulled an all nighter and was obviously tired had nothing to do with it? Is one of the effects of smoking pot rolling over and over and over in your sleep? Of course he did wrong, but to say something like it was the sole cause... kinda overboard IMO.

The point is you should not be smoking pot in the same house as your infant child. Inhaling marijuana fumes sure as hell can't be good for a developing baby brain!

Love2Raid
12-12-09, 19:59

I would if he had taken just one drink, and by that I don't mean this:

http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/8914/drinkaday.png

:p

sandra croft
12-12-09, 20:01
I read about a similar accident a year ago or more about a women that rolled over her baby so it died, in fact she had killed two babies that way. The first time she didnīt know it was possible to kill a child that way the other time she just wanted to cuddle with the baby but missjudge how tired she was. As far as I know she wasīt high on anything.

knightgames
12-12-09, 20:39

Because alchohol is immeasurably more detrimental to society than marijuana. I'm not advocating one verses the other, but between the two I'd rather defend marijuana than alchohol.

This singular event indicates how different one is verses the other. (I'm sure there are other abuses, but compared between the two alchohol has a much much higher rate of accidental or purposeful problems) Read a police blotter and see how many issues stem from alchohol consumption. Read about abuse cases. Many times alchohol is involved.

As mentioned before I lost someone close to me as the result of drunk driving. I'll go a step farther and relate a story about my grandfather (who thankfully I never met). When he drank he beat the living snot out of my father. He beat my grandmother so often that even when she was pregnant he killed the child within her. He wasn't smokin' the evel weed. He was DRINKING alchohol.

You bet your a$$ I'll defend marijuana over alchohol - especially when one is legal and the other isn't. The one that's legal is deadly.

Mad Tony
12-12-09, 20:50
Because alchohol is immeasurably more detrimental to society than marijuana. I'm not advocating one verses the other, but between the two I'd rather defend marijuana than alchohol.

This singular event indicates how different one is verses the other. (I'm sure there are other abuses, but compared between the two alchohol has a much much higher rate of accidental or purposeful problems) Read a police blotter and see how many issues stem from alchohol consumption. Read about abuse cases. Many times alchohol is involved.

As mentioned before I lost someone close to me as the result of drunk driving. I'll go a step farther and relate a story about my grandfather (who thankfully I never met). When he drank he beat the living snot out of my father. He beat my grandmother so often that even when she was pregnant he killed the child within her. He wasn't smokin' the evel weed. He was DRINKING alchohol.

You bet your a$$ I'll defend marijuana over alchohol - especially when one is legal and the other isn't. The one that's legal is deadly.The only reason why there are more issues that stem from alcohol is because it's legal and loads more people consume it.

Punaxe
12-12-09, 21:27
The only reason why there are more issues that stem from alcohol is because it's legal and loads more people consume it.

I'm not so sure. I've read various reports that concluded that alcohol is significantly more damaging than cannabis, including a 2009 Dutch report (PDF (http://www.justitie.nl/images/Ranking%20van%20drugs_tcm34-201385.pdf)) which also measured "social harm" (including crime, traffic accidents, etc.). It's mostly in Dutch, but page 21 shows the social harm figures. Alcohol is ranked first on a population level (cannabis sixth), and third on an individual level (cannabis tenth). Keep in mind that cannabis use is allowed here.

xXhayleyroxXx
12-12-09, 23:32
to be fair this could happen to a non-potsmoking, caring parent

its not the guys fault, he was probably cuddling her in so she would sleep

PoseidonsDeath
12-12-09, 23:36
That's sick... I can't believe something like this can happen. Was it really the pot or the games though? I'm confused. Everyone rolls over in their sleep... But it's still awful.

Squibbly
12-12-09, 23:38
@Hayley: Yeah, it could happen, but I don't think anyone could argue the fact that what he did (smoke pot with a baby in the home under his care, then staying awake all night) was so, so irresponsible. Sleeping next to a baby is also wrong. And the fact that he tried to put her in her crib when he found her dead to cover it up... that is just sick.

PoseidonsDeath
12-12-09, 23:40
^ I understand your points, and I agree. The pot smoking may have been what caused him to think that he could sleep with his child. He may still have been high when he woke up. Kinda like a hangover, but with drugs, and he freaked. Most people in distress don't think logically, I'm sure you know.

Squibbly
12-12-09, 23:47
^ Yes, I understand that he more than likely was not thinking straight, but it's not going to make me believe that this was purely an accident and him being irresponsible had nothing to do with it whatsoever. I'm certain that played a role.

PoseidonsDeath
12-12-09, 23:49
^ He was obviously irresponsable. <Spelled that wrong I think...
He was smoking pot and stayed up until 6a.m. with a baby in the house. And then he chose to sleep right next to his child. It's also just another reason NOT to smoke pot...

Squibbly
12-12-09, 23:50
^ If someone's going to smoke pot (on their own or with a friend) then fine, there isn't any major problem with that. But in this case, his actions were very wrong. That poor baby. :(

PoseidonsDeath
12-12-09, 23:55
^Poor indeed. It had no chance. This type of death is cruel even to rodents. I don't know what the :cen: this guy was thinking "...Hey! I already made two really stupid choices. What the hell, why not another..."

patriots88888
12-12-09, 23:57
^ If someone's going to smoke pot (on their own or with a friend) then fine, there isn't any major problem with that. But in this case, his actions were very wrong. That poor baby. :(

Yup, I completely agree. I'm not on any crusade against those who use, as long as they're doing so by themselves without any parental responsibilities, that's their business. When other people are in the mix such as this though, especially when an infant child is involved, then it most definitely is not just solely their business. It's everyone's business within that household.

Nerd For Life
12-12-09, 23:58
Yup, I completely agree. I'm not on any crusade against those who use, as long as they're doing so by themselves without any parental responsibilities, that's their business. When other people are in the mix such as this though, especially when an infant child is involved, then it most definitely is not just solely their business. It's everyone's business within that household.

I couldn't agree more, here.

Draco
13-12-09, 00:01
If everyone in the world smoked Marijuana on a regular basis the rate of death by unnatural means would drop to next to nothing worldwide.

Quasimodo
13-12-09, 00:05
If everyone in the world smoked Marijuana on a regular basis the rate of death by unnatural means would drop to next to nothing worldwide.

How do you figure?

Draco
13-12-09, 00:06
How do you figure?

The only thing potheads ever want to do any harm to is a bag of Cool Ranch Doritos.

Mad Tony
13-12-09, 00:08
The only thing potheads ever want to do any harm to is a bag of Cool Ranch Doritos.Want and actually do are two entirely different things.

PoseidonsDeath
13-12-09, 00:10
@Quasimodo, Option A: Everyone would be calm and relaxed, so no one would be angry, thus, no intentional murder.
Option B: Cops will also be high, so who's counting.

Draco
13-12-09, 00:10
Want and actually do are two entirely different things.

Are you saying people who use marijuana regularly are more prone to violence and/or activities we consider unacceptable?

Capt. Murphy
13-12-09, 00:12
Are you saying people who use marijuana regularly are more prone to violence and/or activities we consider unacceptable?

They're more prone to being morons. :pi:

Draco
13-12-09, 00:13
They're more prone to being morons. :pi:

That is beside the point.

Andyroo
13-12-09, 00:18
Wow there's soo many druggos here.

patriots88888
13-12-09, 00:19

Well, I would consider this unfortunate occurence as unacceptable. Just because there wasn't any malicious intentions involved that doesn't mean that the potential for harmful behavior doesn't exist.

Mad Tony
13-12-09, 00:19
Are you saying people who use marijuana regularly are more prone to violence and/or activities we consider unacceptable?Perhaps, but more prone to irresponsible and stupid decisions, which can be just as dangerous as violence.

@Andyroo: Welcome the to the internet. Don't you dare say a bad word about drugs, because drugs are cool man :rolleyes:

CerebralAssassin
13-12-09, 00:22
The only thing potheads ever want to do any harm to is a bag of Cool Ranch Doritos.

LOL...not to mention chocolate too!!:cln:

Draco
13-12-09, 00:29
Wow there's soo many druggos here.

Are you implying I utilize mind altering substances?

miss.haggard
13-12-09, 01:13
Sad, but really, that article sounds like it was written by a 13 year old.

EmeraldFields
13-12-09, 04:19
If you're gonna smoke pot, just don't do it while taking care of your seven month old.

Shark_Blade
13-12-09, 05:04
Better not smoke at all. I don't get why people love to do harm to their own body, stupid really.

knightgames
13-12-09, 15:06
Would I want a police officer/surgeon/teacher to be stoned while at work? Hell no. I'm not advocating use of marijuana. I just feel it's no where near as dangerous as drinking alchohol unresponsibly. I've had way too many instances in my personal life to think otherwise.

Would the decriminalization of marijuana cause a spike in illicit/dangerous behaviour? What do the statistics say now with illegal users? Other than the illegal use itself I'm not familiar with an inordinate amount of accidents or deaths due specifically to marijuana use.

Now if you want to talk about how marijuana affects the developement of brain function, I'm behind you 100%.

This was a horrible accident made worse by the rarity of the circumstances and because an infant was involved. (I'd feel the same if the father was just drinking too, which I should have addressed in my previous topic, Tony...... even though I am loath to defend alchohol)

Noodleboy
13-12-09, 21:13

I have to agree, there's only a small chance that marijuana could be the cause of this, especially since he smoked it almost a whole day before the incident. The effects of marijuana (if any) are very short-term. The drugs stops working after at least 3 hours or so.
Also, when you don't smoke it regulary, the effects are practically non-excistend.

Dark Lugia 2
13-12-09, 22:44
The thread title is so misleading :o What happened to him could have happened to anyone else, alot of people go to sleep with their babies... its not like the drugs influenced him rolling over in his sleep :/