PDA

View Full Version : Dinosaurs May Have All Been Feathered

ThatNorskChick
04-07-12, 17:16
That's right. Big turkeys.

http://i50.************/5yfc7l.jpg

The skeleton of a bushy-tailed baby dinosaur that roamed Earth 135 million years ago has been found in Europe.

The creature had little 'fuzzy' feathers, almost like hairs.

Named Sciurumimus after the tree squirrel species Sciurus, it is the best preserved dinosaur remains ever discovered in Europe.

At just 72 cms long, the fanged predator looks like a tiny T-Rex. It is believed to have been a year-old hatchling and had a large skull, short hind limbs and smooth skin.

Its vivid compression with mouth wide open also bears the outline of sharp, serrated little teeth and primitive fuzzy feathers that are more akin to hair.

These were over its front, below the belly, and back as well as the tail, suggesting the animal's whole body could have been covered in feathers.

It is impossible to say exactly what killed the animal, but it has been speculated that it may have drowned.

Previously reported fossils of feathered killer dinosaurs belonged to a group called coelurosaurs that are closely related to birds and from which T Rex and other meat-eating beasts evolved.

But Sciurumimus albersdoerferi - dug up out of limestone rock at a quarry near Kelheim in Bavaria, southern Germany, in 2009 - was a megalosauroid which were members of the theropods.

Dr Oliver Rauhut said: Here we report an exceptionally preserved skeleton of a juvenile megalosauroid, Sciurumimus albersdoerferi, from the Late Jurassic of Germany, which preserves a filamentous plumage at the tail base and on parts of the body.

The specimen is preserved in complete articulation, lying on its right side.

Fossils of theropods - which include T Rex - are rare and usually fragmented. The best T Rex specimens are about 80 percent preserved whereas Sciurumimus is about 98 percent intact.

Dr Rauhut, curator of the Bavarian Paleontological and Geological Collections (BSPG) in Munich, led an international team that examined the animal.

He said: This is one of the most complete dinosaur skeletons ever found worldwide. When I first saw it, it was hard to believe it was real because it was so well preserved.

It looked as if it had been made by someone to hang in their living room. But tests quickly showed it was genuine.

He said the find was of outstanding scientific importance because of the completeness of the skeleton, the presence of hair-like filamentous structures and its youth.

Dr Rauhut said: It is very difficult to say how large the animal would have grown to as an adult. One can't rule out it would have been up to eight or nine metres long but it could also have just been two or three metres.

The large size of the skull in proportion to the rest of the body was a sure sign it had been very young when it died, he said.

Examinations of juvenile theropods can help shed light on the mechanisms of evolution because recent research indicates changes in the processes of growing played an important role in how creatures evolved.

The bones of the theropod are even better preserved than those of feathered dinosaurs found in China in the 1990s.

Those are the only ones which are similarly complete, but they are millions of years younger, said the researchers whose findings are published in Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.

Dr Rauhut said: "The great thing about this discovery is the preservation of the bones. Similarly complete skeletons were found in China of feathered dinosaurs.

"They look great from afar but if you study them under the microscope, you can see that the bone preservation isn't that great."

Hair on dinosaurs has been a focus of research because it could have developed into the feathers that were first detected on fossils of Archaeopteryx, the oldest known bird, which were found in Germany in the 19th century. That discovery suggested dinosaurs may have evolved into birds.

Dr Rauhut said: "This new theropod is probably the most significant fossil found on German soil since the discoveries of the original bird Archaeopteryx."

Source (http://www.news.com.au/technology/sci-tech/new-fossil-suggests-dinosaurs-may-have-all-been-hairy/story-fn5fsgyc-1226417297485)

jackles
04-07-12, 17:18
That was a premise in Jurrassic park.

The thing is I can remember as a kid reading about 'bird-hipped' dinosaurs and now it seems mad that no one made that connection then.

leglion
04-07-12, 17:19
Seems a bit far fetched to me.

Killercowz
04-07-12, 17:19
Well isn't that odd.

Spong
04-07-12, 17:20
The thing is I can remember as a kid reading about 'bird-hipped' dinosaurs and now it seems mad that no one made that connection then.

You should've said something back then, it could've save everyone a lot of time.

:p

:}hello friend
04-07-12, 17:20
Thanksgiving anyone?

Killercowz
04-07-12, 17:22
Eating a dinosaur for dinner sounds morbid.

My insatiable curiosity does wonder what they must have tasted like..?

AmericanAssassin
I've been telling people that turkeys are awesome for years now. :p

Chocola teapot
My life has been a filthy lie.

Spong
04-07-12, 17:23
Eating a dinosaur for dinner sounds morbid.

Morbid? :confused:
Mind you, eating any dead animal could be considered that really.

My insatiable curiosity does wonder what they must have tasted like..?

I bet it tastes like chicken ;)

pEhouse
04-07-12, 17:23
Heard about this a looong time ago, tbh :p

Truth is we may never know what dinosaurs have actually looked liked, for all we know their skin or feathers could have been pink polka-doted.

:}hello friend
04-07-12, 17:25

I bet it tastes like chicken ;)

Or like the OP suggests, an oversized turkey. Just imagine trying to stuff that thing.

jackles
04-07-12, 17:26
You should've said something back then, it could've save everyone a lot of time.

:p

I decided to save my genius for another generation...... :p

I was mad on dinosaurs!

Killercowz

I was envisioning a gigantic T-Rex as a centerpiece for a feast.

Spong

The thought of having to chomp through all of that would be quite depressing, yeah :vlol:

Chocola teapot
04-07-12, 17:27

Christmas at Croft Manor.

Orionvalentine
04-07-12, 17:49
That's pretty awesome! I love how everything goes out of the window when 'scientists' realise they may have been wrong about something for so long :P

sierra xb
04-07-12, 17:52
it is interesting to see the kinds of interpretations people can get off of a few impressions on a rock

ggctuk
04-07-12, 17:52
Given that I was always told dinosaurs were the ancestors of modern day birds, this does not surprise me in the slightest.

Jester Head
04-07-12, 17:56
I'm confused. Isn't this old news?

ggctuk
04-07-12, 18:04
They had theorized, but now there's proof.

tampi
04-07-12, 18:40
I'm confused. Isn't this old news?

Few days ago.

It seems they were as big Dodos.

http://i.imgur.com/LXDkt.jpg (http://imgur.com/LXDkt)

Food, gigantic and abundant everywhere.

sierra xb
04-07-12, 20:39
They had theorized, but now there's proof.

sorry, but a bunch of hair/feather-like impressions in the rock does not prove that they actually had feathers. Fossil impressions are very difficult to know just what made them since the actual body part doesn't exist anymore

Draco
04-07-12, 20:41
Why wouldn't dinosaurs have feathers?

Zebra
04-07-12, 20:42
This really isn't news TBH. We already knew that some dinosaurs had feathers. This does certainly not proof that all dinosaurs had feathers. I mean, it's possible, yes. But this discovery doesn't make it all that much more likely than it already was before.

BinRaider
04-07-12, 20:51
I think all Dinosaurs have feather/hair-like stuff when they're hatch lings but then lose it when they start to mature. Sort of like a lot of mammals have loads of fur but then not so much when they grow. Or like seals who have fur and then lose it when they mature. I'm no Dinosaur expert but that's just my theory.

Draco
04-07-12, 20:51
You have to wonder though, maybe that is why they had such trouble with tar pits.

Zebra
04-07-12, 21:20
You have to wonder though, maybe that is why they had such trouble with tar pits.

I would imagine every somewhat heavy being that walks into a tar pit to "have trouble" with it.

Shark_Blade
04-07-12, 23:18
That was a premise in Jurrassic park.

Yeah I remember reading something like this too. But the thought of my favorite dinosaurs (triceratops and t-rex) all in feathers is ..unpleasant. :p

The Great Chi
04-07-12, 23:27
This really isn't news TBH. We already knew that some dinosaurs had feathers. This does certainly not proof that all dinosaurs had feathers. I mean, it's possible, yes. But this discovery doesn't make it all that much more likely than it already was before.I tend to agree that not all dinos had feather.

I would assume these ones we are talking about here would be based on birds, but...Do we not also have the reptilian versions who would be scaled.

All I know, is you have to run fast if a T-rex is behind you :D

Eros5th
05-07-12, 00:32
I don't doubt it since birds are traced back to dinosaurs not lizards.

I wonder if Quetzalquetl was a dinosaur since it was a winged serpent.

Miharu
05-07-12, 00:47
Reading the word squirrel reminded me of this:
http://phoenixfires.files.wordpress.com/2010/05/scrat3.jpg
:vlol:

Very interesting though. :)

Draco
05-07-12, 01:25
I would imagine every somewhat heavy being that walks into a tar pit to "have trouble" with it.

Ever heard of 'Tarred and Feathered'?

Croftmobile
05-07-12, 01:47
I wonder if Quetzalquetl was a dinosaur since it was a winged serpent.

not even close this is the real Quetzatcoatl
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-SGwMJ-DLnok/Ty91cxLVQOI/AAAAAAAAEzY/m3XZia1R2Yk/s1600/quetzal%2B5.jpg