PDA

View Full Version : Giant pandas on the loose in London

patriots88888
05-07-12, 12:01
Panda-monium Hits London with the Launch of Chengdu Panda Awareness Week

CHENGDU, China, July 4, 2012 /PRNewswire-Asia/ -- July 4th marks the international launch of Panda Awareness Week (PAW), with 108 costumed pandas performing a tai-chi inspired dance in the middle of Trafalgar Square.

(Photo: http://photos.prnewswire.com/prnh/20120704/CN34711 )

PAW, supported by panda expert and TV wildlife presenter Nigel Marven, is pioneered by the Chengdu Research Base of Giant Panda Breeding (Chengdu Panda Base), a world-renowned breeding and research base for giant pandas in Chengdu, capital of southwest China's Sichuan Province. PAW aims to enhance awareness and support for panda conservation and protection for one of the world's most threatened species.

This week's PAW activity will be taking place in London until 6th July, and sees the panda posse hosting a "panda party" in Covent Garden, taking over the London Underground and visiting the city's most famous landmarks. The 108 costumed pandas represent the 108 pandas currently at the Chengdu panda base, which plays a leading role in fostering continued growth of the giant panda population, and rescue and rehabilitation to return them back to their natural habitat.

This year marks the 25th anniversary of the Chengdu panda base, founded in 1987 when 6 giant pandas were rescued from the wild. Through a dedicated conservation plan, Chengdu now has the largest captive breeding panda population in the world, and aims to increase it from 108 to 150 pandas over the next 10 years.

During PAW Nigel Marven and panda experts from Chengdu, accompanied by the costumed pandas, will also visit London primary schools to educate and inspire children in the importance of saving the giant panda and how they can play a role in Chengdu's ongoing conservation efforts.

Nice to see them spreading that awareness :tmb:... although the costumes are a bit over-the-top. :p :o Yea, I'm a conservationist at heart and sympathize with the cause. We reaaly do need more of this awareness throughout the world.

Full story here! (http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/panda-monium-hits-london-with-the-launch-of-chengdu-panda-awareness-week-161382035.html)

sandygrimm
05-07-12, 16:06
would be cool if they were kung fu Pandas :pi: . YOu no pay aware? HAYAA!

silviu_raider
05-07-12, 16:15
would be cool if they were kung fu Pandas :pi: . YOu no pay aware? HAYAA!
That'd have been cool, indeed. :D

http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/DVD/Paramount/detailpages/KungFuPanda/KungFuPnda_T2L.jpg

DgoOdz94
05-07-12, 16:24
Now this is cool. Wish I could have been there. D:

Ikas90
05-07-12, 23:09
Misleading title. I thought there were actual pandas on the loose in London.

Miharu
05-07-12, 23:27

I think that was sort of the point. It's a clever title, yes, not real pandas but there's people dressed as big pandas on the streets of London. :p

Whatever though, glad to know they're raising awareness! :jmp:

TombRaiderFan.
06-07-12, 00:05
It's great to see people trying to save a species. :) However, this is just a drop in the bucket when you consider all other species in the world that are endangered.

You must really hate newspapers and magazines.

Chocola teapot
06-07-12, 00:49
Pandas are rather docile creatures. Large and very conspicuous, too.

'On the loose' I thought? What? :p