PDA

View Full Version : 'Coming out' celebrity pronouncements

Solice
08-07-12, 02:38
I was just reading this (http://sports.yahoo.com/news/olympics--u-s--olympic-star-megan-rapinoe-makes-her-homosexuality-public--urges-others-to-come-out.html) story about Megan Rapinoe announcing she is a lesbian. Last week, it was Anderson Cooper coming out.

Is it really such a big deal anymore, at least from a public figure point of view? Known gay celebs are pretty common place now. I am sure from a personal stand point, it certainly can be a big deal, especially if the people around you disapprove. But does a celeb making a huge announcement really deserve much real attention?

I mean, sure if Rush Limbaugh announced he is gay, that would be a shock. But Adam Lambert? Clay Aiken? Ellen DeGeneres? Megan Rapinoe? Not a huge story.

AmericanAssassin
08-07-12, 05:33
These stories help young gay kids feel a little bit more comfortable about themselves. It's as simple as that. I think it's important that the media continues to push stories like this.

Stevo505
08-07-12, 05:35
Frank Ocean recently came out as well.

Hairhelmet12
08-07-12, 05:40
These stories help young gay kids feel a little bit more comfortable about themselves. It's as simple as that. I think it's important that the media continues to push stories like this.

:tmb:

leglion
08-07-12, 08:21
Frank Ocean recently came out as well.

Yes and he's surprisingly getting a LOT of support from the hip hop community. :eek:

kooky
08-07-12, 13:31
These stories help young gay kids feel a little bit more comfortable about themselves.

Even though that is true, some parents just do not accept the fact that their child is gay/lesbian. Some of them attempt to put them through wreckage of conversion therapy & ex-gay ministries, which practically never work. Also some children when they are grown have been known to be kick out of the house if they are homosexual... :(

Draco
08-07-12, 13:38
No, they just never work.

larafan25
08-07-12, 14:36
The media or public makes a big deal about anything celebrities do, so this sholdn't be any different I suppose.

Solice
08-07-12, 14:39

That is a good point

matrix54
08-07-12, 14:41
After a while, it's kind of like, yeah, it's good to know, but I really don't care. :vlol:

I'm gay myself, and it's not something I think should be announced to the world. Like, do we go around bashing people for having O-blood, and praising those with A, and start calling them whores? Will there be a O-Blood type rallies across the world.and pride parades for them, as well?

Like, it's cool and all well and dandy, but the way the news handles it - it's like being gay is something new. :vlol:

ShadyCroft
08-07-12, 14:45
After a while, it's kind of like, yeah, it's good to know, but I really don't care. :vlol:

This...for me. Maybe these stories help younger guys and girls to be comfortable with themselves and all, but personally, am way past the point of celebrity crushes or a celebrity coming out making me feel better about myself.

I've already become acquainted and like and appreciate myself. :)

tomee
08-07-12, 14:49
The media or public makes a big deal about anything celebrities do, so this sholdn't be any different I suppose.

This TBH.

matrix54
08-07-12, 15:07
...Maybe these stories help younger guys and girls to be comfortable with themselves and all, but personally, am way past the point of celebrity crushes or a celebrity coming out making me feel better about myself.

I could give a lecture about that entire subject. :p

AmericanAssassin
08-07-12, 15:26
Even though that is true, some parents just do not accept the fact that their child is gay/lesbian. Some of them attempt to put them through wreckage of conversion therapy & ex-gay ministries, which practically never work. Also some children when they are grown have been known to be kick out of the house if they are homosexual... :(
Yes, and those parents are worthless pieces of trash.

LaraDuh
08-07-12, 17:23
Yes, and those parents are worthless pieces of trash.

This OMG i just agreed with you /wrists. :p

Dark Lugia 2
08-07-12, 20:36
It's important, there are still communities where people are forced to stay in the closet for their own safety. As long as they still exist then this can never be a bad thing.

Miharu
09-07-12, 00:54

My thoughts exactly. :tmb:

Solice
20-07-12, 01:19
Like, do we go around bashing people for having O-blood, and praising those with A, and start calling them whores?

We have to stop doing that?:(:D

I have to start reading memos

iamlaracroft
20-07-12, 02:21
coming out to a friend, parent, or trusted confidante can be tremendously paralyzingly, anxiety-ridden and terrifying. living a life in fear of rejection for simply being intrinsically you, lying about your identity and closing off an entire part of your life, soul, heart, mind and body to appease the bigoted, narrow-minded people of the world is devastatingly lonely. it crushes spirits. it's mind numbingly sad.
hearing about respected news journalists, fitness athletes, musicians, actors and members of government coming out, loud and proud, is an affirmation to all the LGBT teens and children (and adults!) who struggle with their identity that they too can live a life free of secrecy and shame. there's nothing wrong with public figures coming out. it's an important message to send to the youth of the world, gay and straight, that being gay or lesbian does not make you any less of a human being. it does not define you, nor does it hinder you. you can be anything you want to be, and be gay, and there is nothing inappropriate about that message.

for the record, I'm a hetero female.

AssassinX21
20-07-12, 08:14
Being gay as of this day is more socially acceptable, but some parents or older people in general that weren't born in this generation still keep to their traditions back then. As being gay myself, and hiding myself from 80% of my family has been pretty much holding me down. They are the type of people that will judge you for doing the most littlest things, and thrives on gossip. And to be completely honest, I couldn't care less if celebrities come out or not because I know me, and other people that have probably been bullied, judged, etc. Have more things to worry about than what public figures are doing. We worry more about being accepted by the ones we love. And I don't think I'll ever have the will power to come out to some of them. Just my two cents.

scoopy_loopy
20-07-12, 13:33
I think it's a great thing and the more celebs that come out, the better. If for no other reason than more and more homophobes lose the ability hate a faceless stereotype. Suddenly someone they were a fan of, or at least knew of and didn't previously despise now has to be included in the group they've previously discriminated against. Has to make them take stock, at least. Or, I would hope so.