PDA

View Full Version : Ramadan Karim, and good luck!

Zelda master
19-07-12, 22:55
Ramadan Karim

So starting today (or atleast here) the Ramadan will be going on for the following month. For those that don't know what Ramadan is: Ramadan is a holy month in the Islam, Muslims fast from Sunrise to Sunset. No eating or drinking between that time, but also other things are not allowed like: Swearing, smoking, sex, among other things.
Muslims also should give money, food and drink to the poor, and many other things that would make this post quite long if I posted everything. It's a very social happening and it's actually very enjoyable with the right people, however I will not participate for the second year in a row due to illness. Participating is actually forbidden for those in sickness but also for pregnante woman and again with couple of other exceptions.

Anyway, I'd like to wish everyone who will participate a good month ahead and much luck with the fasting! :)

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/c0.33.403.403/p403x403/426844_10151083313303945_922131755_n.jpg

Sorry, but it was to cute to not add :p

Mr Tomb
19-07-12, 23:12
Thank you :) I was going to make a thread myself but was too confused with the GC/Congratulations section
Tomorrow is the start of Ramadan here ! :) best month of the year for sure

lcroft_lc
20-07-12, 15:33
Ramadan Karim everyone. May Allah bless all of you. :) :hug:
http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/s720x720/531660_380903758644060_964523644_n.jpg

Ramadan is from tomorrow here. :) Sadly I will not be able to keep Roja (fasting) tomorrow for my exam. Will start from the next day hopefully. :)

pEhouse
20-07-12, 15:46
I don't wanna bash your religion so I apologize upfront if that what it sounds liked but, no DRINKING? Please tell me this only refers to alcohol, because otherwise that sounds very unhealthy!

Admles
20-07-12, 16:07
I don't wanna bash your religion so I apologize upfront if that what it sounds liked but, no DRINKING? Please tell me this only refers to alcohol, because otherwise that sounds very unhealthy!
Hmmmm, well I'm no expert, but I think it would refer to all drinking, as from what I've been told, Islam doesn't allow consumption of alcohol at all.

Zelda master
20-07-12, 16:15

No drinking what so ever from sunrise to sunset, alcohol is forbidden in general in the religion :)

lcroft_lc
20-07-12, 18:17

No drinking what so ever from sunrise to sunset, alcohol is forbidden in general in the religion :)

Fasting = No drinking or take any kind of food and not even smoking during Sunrise to Sunsets in the name of Allah. Its about 14 to 15 hours without any foods depends of Sun rising and setting. :) But during Sunsets to Sunrise, you can take as many food as you can. :D

I love this Ramadan because I hate to take foods 3/4 times a day. So this period I can play games and do stuffs without a regular intervals. :D

And in Islam, any kind of alcohol & abusive drugs are forbidden, even some kind of meats like pig. Islam is the religion of peace. :)

Mr Tomb
20-07-12, 18:27
Please, it's not like we're not going to drink water for the whole day :p for example I'm going to start eating after 2 hours and I've been completly fine
it's not hard :)

Zelda master
20-07-12, 19:36
But during Sunsets to Sunrise, you can take as many food as you can. :D

You can but your not supposed to, that would kinda defeats the purpose of feeling what someone who barely has any food feels like if you just throw all food you have in your house at once in the back of your throat...

jajay119
20-07-12, 19:50
I personally cannot imagine not drinking all day but. Good luck/ Congratulations [I do not know what the appropriate felicitation is for this, sorry :o] to those who will be fowlling the holiday.

FloTheMachine
20-07-12, 23:49
^
Likewise, good luck / congratulations. Happy Ramadan. :)
There's not a lot of publicity for Ramadan in Ireland, I'm curious to read more about it. :)

Catapharact
21-07-12, 04:41
http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/c0.33.403.403/p403x403/426844_10151083313303945_922131755_n.jpg

That is so cheesy that I just had to send it to my wife. And now she is busy spreading it around and sharing it with her friends :p.

Thanks a lot you goof :p.

But yeah; Happy Masocist-in-training month to all my brothers and sisters :p. I kid! I kid! Ramadan Kareem everyone :). This month seriously takes its toll on happily married couple. I mean imagine... No serious canoodling for a WHOLE month! Allah seriously knows how to test us poor schmucks eh? Lol!

My wife wrote an article for our University Newspaper on the subject of no nookie during Ramadan appropriately entitled "Confessions of a Ramadan Widow" :p. Its a hilarious read! But its not GC friendly :p.

Saman
21-07-12, 06:26
Just saying Happy Ramadan Karim to my Muslim brothers, hope you pass it well...this month is divine symposium for us, should be appreciated it and thanking to god.

Shark_Blade
21-07-12, 09:00
Happy Ramadhan everyone. :D

2 hours more to go for breaking fast.

lcroft_lc
21-07-12, 09:16
Happy Ramadhan everyone. :D

2 hours more to go for breaking fast.
Lucky you. 3 hours and 30 minutes still here. :(

Stevo505
21-07-12, 10:00
This sounds kind of stressful :p

Shark_Blade
21-07-12, 12:17
^Nothing is hard when you put your mind to it. :)

Catapharact
22-07-12, 00:51
Well Day 1 went by without a problem. Done my cooking and pre-iftar prayers for the evening and am just waiting for the clock to hit 9 now :p.

How has it been for the rest of you guys?

tombraiderxii
22-07-12, 01:45
Day 1 went well for me as well, though I completely derped and forgot to wake up early for Sehri, so I was really dehydrated for a while but then after a few moments it was all good. Managed to do more prayers than I usually do. :D

As for Day 2, only an hour and a half to go till iftar. :)

I just wish the summer heat wasn't there. The temperature was in the 90s today. :/

bagas
22-07-12, 03:53
Happy Ramadhan everyone,
Day 1 goes well for me :D
Day 2 only 7 hours for breaking fast :)

klona
22-07-12, 11:37
I just woke up, just 4 more hours here. :p
(Yes, I've slept very late last night... or morning.)

The Great Chi
22-07-12, 12:38
Hmmmm, well I'm no expert, but I think it would refer to all drinking, as from what I've been told, Islam doesn't allow consumption of alcohol at all.Only in their own countries due to their repressive regiems of religious policing (mainly middle east ones), as when they are out of thier country and on the plane, they knock back achohol just as quick as the rest of us... :D

The best laugh I ever saw was once landing in a middle east airport and someone dropped and smashed a hidden bottle of Southern Comfort in the arrivals lounge, and everyone cleared the area really really fast........ :vlol:

Mr Tomb
22-07-12, 15:45
Only in their own countries due to their repressive regiems of religious policing (mainly middle east ones), as when they are out of thier country and on the plane, they knock back achohol just as quick as the rest of us... :D

The best laugh I ever saw was once landing in a middle east airport and someone dropped and smashed a hidden bottle of Southern Comfort in the arrivals lounge, and everyone cleared the area really really fast........ :vlol:
:vlol: well people drink here so it's a normal think, we barely avoid what our religion tells us to not do

Catapharact
24-07-12, 04:48
So Day 3 comes to an end.

Define Irony:

< This Muslim chooses to end his holy day by listening to Rolling Stones' "Sympathy for the Devil."

ShadyCroft
24-07-12, 08:09
So Day 3 comes to an end.

Define Irony:

< This Muslim chooses to end his holy day by listening to Rolling Stones' "Sympathy for the Devil."

I'm almost certain music is haram in the Islamic religion, no ? :)

Not judging or anything, just saying! You are certainly one of the most unusual Muslim guys I've ever seen. You have your own beliefs where religion and science go hand in hand and you hold on strong to them.

Mr Tomb
24-07-12, 10:08

Not judging or anything, just saying! You are certainly one of the most unusual Muslim guys I've ever seen. You have your own beliefs where religion and science go hand in hand and you hold on strong to them.
It's not haram or anything, Islamists are making a deal about it for their own profit, -.- like wanting to cover their women what so ever but can't stop staring at other girls and having a dirty mind about it

raiderfun
24-07-12, 13:02
Happy Ramadan !

It's not haram or anything, Islamists are making a deal about it for their own profit, -.- like wanting to cover their women what so ever but can't stop staring at other girls and having a dirty mind about it

Each has his own interpretation. I do believe I can listen to music. Many actions are indeed recommended to avoid when fasting but none is claimed to annul it other than drinking, eating or having any sexual initiative.

Zelda master
24-07-12, 13:12

According to my dad anything that's not mentioned in the Quran is a bad thing, telling me not to use my iPod for music and instead only for the Quran. He mad!?

noonbob
24-07-12, 13:20
I personally cannot imagine not drinking all day but. Good luck/ Congratulations [I do not know what the appropriate felicitation is for this, sorry :o] to those who will be fowlling the holiday.

surprisingly i thought i would find it difficult this year because we are fasting in the summer and i love drinking water but i haven't found it hard at all.
if anything this is the easiest fasting has ever felt for me ;)

i guess god is on my side and helping me get through this amazing month smoothly :)

and to everyone else who is fasting enjoy it and make the most of this month :hug:

The Great Chi
24-07-12, 13:45
According to my dad anything that's not mentioned in the Quran is a bad thing, telling me not to use my iPod for music and instead only for the Quran. He mad!?You really have to have an open mind about religion and not just accept all that you are told is the truth.

Each religion has its good points and its bad, but the end result is to make a person as good as they can be in society, no matter their faith.

Here in the West a lot of people feel repressed by the religions impossed on them over the centuries, and just do not want to be part of it now. Religion is no longer in their life, which is sad.

In the Middle East religion and rules tends to be enforced by law, or else. We used to have that in the west, but we got wize to being controlled by religious leaders, and reduced their power.

The Far East religions tend to be more laid back, but again I think ancestor worship is weird, yet my parents stand by that.

I think in this modern era where you are born into a religion, and your mind is shaped by the religion of your parents, you have to sit back and look at all religions and their relationship to God, and consider the best path for yourself, even if it means including parts of other religious believes.

At the end of the day we all worship one god (well, except for my parents :D ).

Zelda master
24-07-12, 14:08
You really have to have an open mind about religion and not just accept all that you are told is the truth.

My dad got everything fed to him on a spoon and accepted everything as fact/truth, me on the other hand got taught the exact same way. Never saw it as fact/truth, my dad didn't like it that I started to think on my own about religion...

TRfan23
24-07-12, 14:10
^ What's your mother like on the subject?

Catapharact
24-07-12, 14:15

According to who? The modern day "scholars of Islam?" The dudes who "choose" to get their interpretation of Islam from places that have suspicious ties to groups with militant religious ideologies? To them I say "Your wives must be seriously unsatisfied women."

Music is CERTAINLY not haram in Islam. The Islamic Dais (Singers) for instance heavily use musical instruments and Sufism believes that there is a strong connection between the mysticism and power of music and spiritual awakening. Hell I like a lot of things Sufism teaches us; Including the fact that there is a higher connection between romantic love and divinity ;).

What do you think inspired Sting to write the song "Desert Rose?" That's right! It was Islamic Sufi ideologies. And I choose to live my life and love my woman based on those ideologies.

And I am adamant in the belief that religion (while at some points, regressed the progression of Science by many unenlightened gimps) did push for the advancement of Science! Some of the best known minds of the past and the modern age were believers in spirituality and religious beliefs.

The maker (whoever you choose to believe is your maker) gave you a world, the universe and the stars and the maker gave you a brilliant, beautiful mind. Use it to better understand your maker and the gorgeous Universe given to you.

The Great Chi
24-07-12, 14:34
My dad got everything fed to him on a spoon and accepted everything as fact/truth, me on the other hand got taught the exact same way. Never saw it as fact/truth, my dad didn't like it that I started to think on my own about religion...Everyone has to make thier own mind up, because at the end of the day only you can be true to yourself and God.

The true meaning of religion, is to do good and hopefully others will do good to you, and with that we hope to progress to a life beyond death, with the same pholosophy.

How you get there is up to you ;)

Zelda master
24-07-12, 15:00
It's rare that I see someone who manages to put it the way it is, great :D

^ What's your mother like on the subject?

She's as dutch as anyone can be :p

The Great Chi
24-07-12, 18:34
It's rare that I see someone who manages to put it the way it is, great :DGlad I could help :D

Catapharact
02-08-12, 16:44
So how is everyone holding up?

The funny thing is, I see so many Non-Muslims comment on how much discipline it must require to fast through out the day and how they could never do it.

Damn it people! You don't know the half of it! Getting past the need for food and water is a cinch but what I am really missing right now is my wife's warmth! *insert miserable look of a man suffering from withdrawal syndrome.*

Speaking of which, last year, I decided to make it up to wife for the for those 30 days of no serious lovin'. By the end of the month, I got her 30 white roses for each Ramadan day that I had to hold back my affections towards my wonderful girl. My way of saying "sorry" Lol! I took her to an Opera Performance, reserved us a seat at a nice French Restaurant, and pretty much went all out and spoiled her rotten.

So this year I am going to have to top that... I have a few ideas in mind Lol!

BTW: This is funny. But near the end, there is a segment that will pretty much highlight the reason as to why we fast. Yes that segment is politically biased (and yes I don`t agree with its political slant.)

vUxS6go8ur0

disapearing-boy
03-08-12, 15:59
^^ Your very romantic... many of us guys could learn from you:D

I didn't know why Muslims fasted for Ramadan but I watched the video. Catholics used to fast for similar reasons for forty days during Lent but those rules were relaxed (as there was no biblical requirement for fasting). Nowadays, the concept of fasting is largely lost to us.

Although many Catholics took it too far and focused on suffering as much as possible rather than a more meditative approach. I have poor will-power so I'm always fascinated with the concept. Self-control is a good thing to have.;)

Catapharact
04-08-12, 02:19
^^ Your very romantic... many of us guys could learn from you:D^

It really doesn`t takes much effort. If you commit yourself to doing something for your girl, you will end up pulling it off with flying colours. The problem in most cases is guys just don`t want to put in the effort; Which is truly deplorable.

I mean comeon... She is your girlfriend/Fiancee/Wife. If you don`t do something for her and cherish her, who else will?

I didn't know why Muslims fasted for Ramadan but I watched the video. Catholics used to fast for similar reasons for forty days during Lent but those rules were relaxed (as there was no biblical requirement for fasting). Nowadays, the concept of fasting is largely lost to us.

Although many Catholics took it too far and focused on suffering as much as possible rather than a more meditative approach. I have poor will-power so I'm always fascinated with the concept. Self-control is a good thing to have.;)

I have a Muslim friend who is currently engaged to a very wonderful Catholic girl and both of them kinda see eye to eye when it comes to fasting during Ramadan and Lent :p. Though even she thinks that the Islamic mandate to cut off the intake of water throughout the entire day is a bit too much Lol!

And before the crowd around here peers away with shocked eyes at the idea of an interfaith relationship...Keep in mind...

This is Canada ;).

The ONLY country in the world where you will come across a German/Native American mix girl wearing a kimono, sipping authentic Indian chai while discussing the counter-revolutionary tactics of the British Empire :p.

Shark_Blade
13-08-12, 09:13
5 more days to go until Eid. :D

lcroft_lc
15-08-12, 14:45
What do you guys eat at Iftar guys? This is Bangladeshi tradition for Iftar item:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/4/49/Common_Iftar_Dish.jpg/800px-Common_Iftar_Dish.jpg
This is from Wiki. Those red fruits aren't that popular here. My favorite is Arabian Dates.

Also many people prefer this after iftar item, its one kind of soup, we call it Halim here-
http://www.daily-sun.com/admin/news_images/219/image_219_45137.jpg

Iftar items at market:
http://www.theasian.asia/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/24841.jpg

Also you can check these videos:

7P7Xw0grh74

ctVl0wJ47oA

disapearing-boy
15-08-12, 14:55
I have a Muslim friend who is currently engaged to a very wonderful Catholic girl and both of them kinda see eye to eye when it comes to fasting during Ramadan and Lent :p. Though even she thinks that the Islamic mandate to cut off the intake of water throughout the entire day is a bit too much Lol!

And before the crowd around here peers away with shocked eyes at the idea of an interfaith relationship...Keep in mind...

This is Canada ;).

The ONLY country in the world where you will come across a German/Native American mix girl wearing a kimono, sipping authentic Indian chai while discussing the counter-revolutionary tactics of the British Empire :p.

Interfaith relationships can happen in other countries too! They do happen in Ireland as well:p

Canada does have a well deserved reputation of being very open though. I must visit some time. Hope your fasting is going well:)

tombraiderxii
15-08-12, 17:34
What do you guys eat at Iftar guys? This is Bangladeshi tradition for Iftar item:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/4/49/Common_Iftar_Dish.jpg/800px-Common_Iftar_Dish.jpg
This is from Wiki. Those red fruits aren't that popular here. My favorite is Arabian Dates.

Also many people prefer this after iftar item, its one kind of soup, we call it Halim here-

Iftar items at market:
http://www.theasian.asia/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/24841.jpg

Also you can check these videos:

7P7Xw0grh74

Oh god, Halim is divine! @_@
And we pretty much have literally in that video for iftar :D , only for the mishti (sp?) we have jilapi (sp) instead. :p
and we do have halim.

Beguni, piyaju, moori, chola, with yoghurt lassi are delicious. c:
However, later in the month we ended up just having some fingerfoods and noodles, prayed maghrib, and then go straight to dinner. :p

lcroft_lc
15-08-12, 18:17
Oh god, Halim is divine! @_@
And we pretty much have literally in that video for iftar :D , only for the mishti (sp?) we have jilapi (sp) instead. :p
and we do have halim.

Beguni, piyaju, moori, chola, with yoghurt lassi are delicious. c:
However, later in the month we ended up just having some fingerfoods and noodles, prayed maghrib, and then go straight to dinner. :p
Gilapi is my 2nd favorite after Arabian Dates (khejur). :D I eat piyaju + chola + bundiya (which is kind of a smaller version of gilapi) together. :) Usually we eat Halim once per Ramadan month. We haven't this year yet. :(

Catapharact
17-08-12, 16:23
Interfaith relationships can happen in other countries too! They do happen in Ireland as well:p

Canada does have a well deserved reputation of being very open though. I must visit some time. Hope your fasting is going well:)

Its not just interfaith mingling that's popular around these parts but intercultural experiences as well! I posted this in MGC but it seems relevant to share it here as well; I don't know if its a trend these days or something but practically every girl I know wants to get into belly dancing for some odd reason :p.

Don't get me wrong, I can see the appeal (helps to tighten the core, is artistically amazing, and is sensually beautiful to look at) but I wasn't expecting such an explosive jump in its popularity.

One of my friends' "improvised" performance. Yes she is British :p.

hIsgFpws8nI

On topic:

Well folks... Its almost over. Just about one or two days left (depending upon the sighting of the moon.) So got any big plans for Eid? I sure as hell do :D. And with the Canadian Exibition in town, its only going to get better!