PDA

View Full Version : Who Knew??!! Ride Sally Ride.

knightgames
24-07-12, 21:03
The first woman in space passed away from pancreatic cancer yesterday at the age of 61. She was also in a commited lesbian relationship for 27 years. Who knew???

http://www.buzzfeed.com/chrisgeidner/first-female-us-astronaut-sally-ride-comes-out

Dennis's Mom
24-07-12, 23:34
I saw that. Some members of the gay community are giving her posthumous grief because she didn't come out, but I think that's unfair.

Sheesh, she was the first woman astronaut. Didn't she break enough ground?

knightgames
24-07-12, 23:46
I saw that. Some members of the gay community are giving her posthumous grief because she didn't come out, but I think that's unfair.

Sheesh, she was the first woman astronaut. Didn't she break enough ground?

Ground, air, space. Seems she made enough progress for many women. Personal lives are just that - personal. I don't know the right answer about if she should have come out or not, but I doubt her orientation was a secret.

She made more strides in her life for women and science than a whole convention of NOW supporters.

RiP Sally.

lord gaga
25-07-12, 01:11
RIP :(. Somehow I had a feeling you guys would be more concerned with her being a lesbo than being dead :p

Killercowz
25-07-12, 01:31
I heard about this on the news.

RIDE SALLY RIDE. *fistpump accompanied with tears*

Rai
25-07-12, 01:35
Well, she was a true role model for women. Her sexuality was her private business, I guess. RIP to Sally. My thoughts go out to her loved ones.

knightgames
25-07-12, 03:21
RIP :(. Somehow I had a feeling you guys would be more concerned with her being a lesbo than being dead :p

I'm not concerned about her sexual orientation at all, but I did create the topic as hopefully an inspiration to some here in the gay community.

What she accomplished as a woman is entirely amazing. The amount of chauvanism and blocked paths she encountered AND OVERCAME because she was a woman in a male dominated field is unheralded. She deserves every kudos that can be mustered.

Hero. The word is snonymous with the name Sally Ride.

That said, your winkie denotes a slight bit of sarcasm so I'm not being obtuse.... just clarifying.

Lara's Nemesis
25-07-12, 03:23
I didn't know but that is a really young age to die. :( RIP

Pancreatic cancer is a horrible thing.

Boobandie
25-07-12, 08:31
Goodbye to a woman who helped break ground for all women in a male world. :(

Spong
25-07-12, 08:37
Some members of the gay community are giving her posthumous grief because she didn't come out...

Why am I not surprised by that? :(
I swear to God that a marked percentage of gay people with an annoyingly loud voice think that being gay is all about pronouncing the fact.

Anyway, RIP to a genuine pioneer.

Miharu
25-07-12, 08:47
Why am I not surprised by that? :(
I swear to God that a marked percentage of gay people with an annoyingly loud voice think that being gay is all about pronouncing the fact.

Anyway, RIP to a genuine pioneer.

IKR?
-----

RIP to an amazing lady.