PDA

View Full Version : Do you prefer TR videos with or without commentary?

Greenapple968
28-07-12, 08:49
As somebody who does a lot of Tomb Raider videos on youtube I'd like to know if as a whole people prefer videos with commentary or without.

jarekhanzelka
28-07-12, 08:58
Depends whether or not is a game dialogue-heavy, if it's a game I'm well familiar with or not, if I'm looking for a walkthrough or a bit of some timekilling entertainment (or both ofc), if a guy's commentary is actually worth my ears or not, etc.

However, TR specifically I'd rather watch something with a commentary. I'm far too familiar with the games to watch it just to see some gameplay. Also, if you're not keen on your commentary and/or you don't have a good mic and/or you can't be bothered, there's always the option to just add a bunch of annotations (preferably not the YT ones) which, if you know how to handle them and don't want to do commentary, is often the best way to go.

NRO.
28-07-12, 09:00
As long as the commentator is funny and/or interesting, I don't mind.

Mad Tony
28-07-12, 09:02
As with all game videos, without. I just want to see how things are done, not hear somebody who's not funny try and act like they are.

Stevo505
28-07-12, 09:35
With. If I want to watch a game as it is, I would play it.

JsotoTRSaga
28-07-12, 09:49
The Walkthroughs without commentary. I prefer subtitles telling you Hints rather than listening to them they annoy me most of the time.

BrandonFlowers
28-07-12, 10:57
Usually without. Most videos with commentary have really bugged me due to their annoying voices and useless chatter.
"you need to grab this ledge" Yeah, no **** Sherlock.

JessyTR
28-07-12, 15:12
With. But the new TR videos I don't like any kind of commentary because sometimes I can't understand what Lara's saying :vlol:

xXhayleyroxXx
28-07-12, 15:14
With commentary :p

Weemanply109
28-07-12, 15:22
I don't mind, really.

LaraDuh
28-07-12, 15:26
I love commentary, funny interesting fact filled commentary. Sometime TR is boring words only being said in cutscenes.

Cali
28-07-12, 15:27
For walkthrough videos I prefer no commentary. I just want to watch the person playing the game. I don't mind if they have little useful notes at the bottom of the screen. But I just don't really like hearing talking. In playthroughs by all means chatter away :p

Ora Dagger
28-07-12, 17:23
without

Greenapple968
28-07-12, 17:44
As long as the commentator is funny and/or interesting, I don't mind.

Am I either of those with my commentary?

Mad Tony
28-07-12, 17:50
Am I either of those with my commentary?No, but then again most aren't.

trXD
28-07-12, 17:52
I like commentary :) I don't really tend to watch games just for the sake of it, if I'm watching its because I get enjoyment out of seeing another persons experience.

No, but then again most aren't.

Did someone hit you today or something :/

Mad Tony
28-07-12, 17:54
Did someone hit you today or something :/Eh? Just giving an answer to his question (which I know wasn't directed at me but he's clearly after feedback anyway).

Greenapple968
28-07-12, 18:00
I like commentary :) I don't really tend to watch games just for the sake of it, if I'm watching its because I get enjoyment out of seeing another persons experience.

I like commentary too.

Some very good contributions so far. I'm glad I opened this thread.

Mad Tony
28-07-12, 18:04
It wasn't even negative. All I said was that I didn't think it was funny. You're blatantly self-promoting with this thread so don't get uppity when somebody gives an opinion you don't like.

strawberry22
28-07-12, 18:36
Mad Tony and Greenapple really seem to have it in for each other :vlol: It's like my relationship with Lukass, but worse :vlol:

Tony9595
28-07-12, 18:40
It wasn't even negative. All I said was that I didn't think it was funny. You're blatantly self-promoting with this thread so don't get uppity when somebody gives an opinion you don't like.

So I'm not the only one who thinks this. Not just in this thread but I've seen MANY links to his YouTube account everywhere, it's no surprise that he dislikes some of our moderators when they want to stop him from plaguing this forum with his videos. xD

ANYWAY, I don't like videos with commentaries, I think they're annoying and most of the time I don't even like the voice of those who make them. Especially when they have a squeaky-teenager voice, I JUST CAN'T. D:

trXD
28-07-12, 19:21
People here are really mean spirited and cynical sometimes :/

There is nothing wrong with saying "Hey guys, I've made some Tomb Raider videos" especially when it is on the Tomb Raider forum. It's not like anyone's trying to sell you Star Wars figurines.

The thread stands on the topic of Game videos and commentary, it just also shows a members videos.

Mad Tony
28-07-12, 20:23
Nothing wrong with posting your own Tomb Raider videos, just don't try and act like that wasn't the main reason for starting the thread.

hayden
28-07-12, 20:34
I personally prefer the videos without commentary. For example, I HATE watching the E3 videos of the new game because the majority of the time, they are talking over the top of it and I'm sitting here saying to myself "oh my god, shut up I can't hear the game!". But that's just my opinion. :)

Greenapple968
28-07-12, 21:06
/

DgoOdz94
28-07-12, 21:07
Either, I don't really mind. :D With commentary would be preferable though.

Mad Tony
28-07-12, 21:07
Unlike Mad Tony who never contributes anything useful to this forum and strikes me as being very insecure. But whatever, if he wishes to embarress himself then let him do so; his little squeaks of bull**** aren't going to achieve anything.How do you know if you don't see my posts? :vlol:

Greenapple968
29-07-12, 00:17
Either, I don't really mind. :D With commentary would be preferable though.

That's pretty much how I am; I liked Strawberrysmile22's TR AOD Walkthrough but am prefering his TR5 LP. And that's really saying something considering how much I loathe TR5. :vlol:

michaeldt
29-07-12, 02:51
I generally do not like commentary's.

SkyPuppy
29-07-12, 02:56
i prefer them without.

this, honestly. i dislike when people over-advertise.

Tommy123
29-07-12, 03:06
oh my god... another thread filled with haters...shocking

Anyway it doesn't really matter to me. If the commentary is spaced out then i guess i like it more.

Gracious Days
29-07-12, 03:49
Unlike Mad Tony who never contributes anything useful to this forum and strikes me as being very insecure. But whatever, if he wishes to embarress himself then let him do so; his little squeaks of bull**** aren't going to achieve anything.

Really, if you're going to have someone on your ignore list then I think it's a bit much to continue to slam them. When you cannot accept another point of view and still resort to insults after supposedly washing your hands of the whole thing, to me, that is what's seeming insecure. I don't even know MT, but he hardly seems the type to troll, and often comes off as relatively objective.

---

To answer the thread question, it depends on the commentator and the quality of their videos. If they're solely talking about the method to the level ("go here, do this, shoot that'), and don't give me anything about themselves and what they think of the game being played, I'm more likely to stop watching.

strawberry22
29-07-12, 09:12
People here are really mean spirited and cynical sometimes :/

There is nothing wrong with saying "Hey guys, I've made some Tomb Raider videos" especially when it is on the Tomb Raider forum. It's not like anyone's trying to sell you Star Wars figurines.

The thread stands on the topic of Game videos and commentary, it just also shows a members videos.

This :\

Greenapple968
29-07-12, 09:28
oh my god... another thread filled with haters...shocking

Anyway it doesn't really matter to me. If the commentary is spaced out then i guess i like it more.

Commentary spaced out is something I've done and I'm not too keen on it.

BrandonFlowers
29-07-12, 11:53
Thank you. I don't see why some people here have a bone to pick. This is a Tomb Raider forum and atleast I contribute a lot to it and entertain many members with the stuff I do. Unlike Mad Tony who never contributes anything useful to this forum and strikes me as being very insecure. But whatever, if he wishes to embarress himself then let him do so; his little squeaks of bull**** aren't going to achieve anything.

I've had some very interesting replies so far and I'll therefore keep this thread open.

I don't mean to be rude, but you are coming across as quite rude and big headed there tbh. :/

So I'm not the only one who thinks this. Not just in this thread but I've seen MANY links to his YouTube account everywhere, it's no surprise that he dislikes some of our moderators when they want to stop him from plaguing this forum with his videos. xD

ANYWAY, I don't like videos with commentaries, I think they're annoying and most of the time I don't even like the voice of those who make them. Especially when they have a squeaky-teenager voice, I JUST CAN'T. D:

This is very true :p I will watch a video and it'd be like some helium sucking mouse going "today we're gonna play the Lost Valley" ;_;

SkyPuppy
29-07-12, 11:55
I wouldn't worry about the haters or the negatives, just focus on the fans and the positives, that's all I do. Commentary spaced out is something I've done and I'm not too keen on it. But those who've followed me on youtube are always complimenting my commentary and saying how much they love it so I guess I'm lucky and have got it easy.

you can't improve without SOME negative feedback...

Mad Tony
29-07-12, 12:05
you can't improve without SOME negative feedback...I get the impression he just ignores all negative feedback.

jarekhanzelka
29-07-12, 15:26
@Greenapple968 - More often than not I see you mentioning how you just don't care in the slightest about other opinions, so..why even open such thread at all?

aidanmalone
29-07-12, 19:33
I usually enjoy watching videos with commentary :D
Especially blind runs! Seeing the persons reaction for the first time is hilarious! :vlol:
Its usually people who need just a plain and simple walkthrough or help that watch them without commentary, but If people were to watch something like a challenged run like your All secrets no kills run people would want constant information of helpful tips and in a sense would value it more :)

Personally i think its just down to peoples preference, people watch it with, some without....you cant please everyone :(

:hug:

Greenapple968
29-07-12, 20:19
I usually enjoy watching videos with commentary :D
Especially blind runs! Seeing the persons reaction for the first time is hilarious! :vlol:
Its usually people who need just a plain and simple walkthrough or help that watch them without commentary, but If people were to watch something like a challenged run like your All secrets no kills run people would want constant information of helpful tips and in a sense would value it more :)

Personally i think its just down to peoples preference, people watch it with, some without....you cant please everyone :(

:hug:

Thank you for your contribution. I too love Blind LPs and do prefer videos with commentary. You said you can't please everyone and that sadly is pretty much how it is.

Legend of Lara
29-07-12, 22:22
you can't improve without SOME negative feedback...

This is very true.

SkyPuppy
29-07-12, 22:34
I get the impression he just ignores all negative feedback.

looks that way. i guess he doesn't want to be....professional?

@Greenapple968 - More often than not I see you mentioning how you just don't care in the slightest about other opinions, so..why even open such thread at all?

self promotion, dear. i mean, you make LPs, and i never see you doing stuff like this, otherwise i would have to beat your bottom.

This is very true.

exactly. if i still did them, i would want some negative feedback so i know what i can improve on.

Greenapple968
29-07-12, 22:42
I guess he doesn't want to be....professional?

When it comes to Youtube I care not about being professional; my aim is to entertain those who choose to watch my videos.

Self promotion, dear. i mean, you make LPs, and i never see you doing stuff like this, otherwise i would have to beat your bottom.

Enough with the false accusations, all I did was ask a question for my benefit. Why are you making a big deal out of this?

SkyPuppy
29-07-12, 23:03
When it comes to Youtube I care not about being professional; my aim is to entertain those who choose to watch my videos and judging by the feedback on my account I'd say I've more than succeeded.

Enough with the false accusations, all I did was ask a question for my benefit. Why are you making a big deal out of this? I thought you and I got on? I'm sorry if you and others can't accept me.

okay, then that's your thing. that's why i put a question mark at the end of my post.

it's hard not to make them when you seem to be constantly advertising yourself, though. umm, just because i 'get on' with someone, means i can't have an honest opinion? sorry, but that's not how i work.

tomekkobialka
29-07-12, 23:14
I also made a Let's Play for Tomb Raider 3 (http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL453D1D24E1437F24&feature=plcp). I didn't add commentary, but I added extremely funny annotations. Rate and subscribe, please? :jmp::jmp:

But seriously, here's my opinion on TR videos: They are meant to entertain us, hence if you want views, any TR video has to have something original and quirky about it. Especially for such old games as the TR classics. If you're good at talking and being interesting at the same time, no problem. If you're not, find something else that makes them different.

E.g. TinaVonRotter gets frustrated sometimes, and her accent makes her jokes sound much funnier (sorry Tina! :o). Hence people like watching her videos!

Azraelkhan had those funny "TR in 10 seconds" videos, which was reminiscent of those "Films in 10 seconds" videos on Youtube, which were very popular. Sprinkle some masterful video editing, and...voila! A successful TR video series.

So, in order to get more views, be different and original. :) (Because, let's face it, ItalianGuy99 was the first to upload simple TR walkthroughs, and his position is taken, and will be taken for an extremely long time)

@Greenapple968: By reacting negatively to negative comments for the sake of your videos, you're wasting keystrokes. You will lose views, as people will be drawn away from your videos. Just ignore haters and make more videos. Simples! :tmb:

And btw, I'm not saying my LPs are good...they're actually pretty ****.

Greenapple968
29-07-12, 23:14
/

SkyPuppy
29-07-12, 23:19
Whatever. To be honest I don't really care about this thread right now as something terible has happened to me on youtube and I'm far more concerned about that.

something terrible on Youtube has happened to you. uhh, okay.

Mad Tony
29-07-12, 23:35
Whatever. To be honest I don't really care about this thread right now as something terible has happened to me on youtube and I'm far more concerned about that.Did someone make a critical comment?

trXD
29-07-12, 23:37
Mad Tony, you are literally typing insults and mockery to someone who has chosen to no longer even see your messages. Have some self respect and learn when to cut it out.

jarekhanzelka
29-07-12, 23:41
Mad Tony, you are literally typing insults and mockery to someone who has chosen to no longer even see your messages. Have some self respect and learn when to cut it out.

And what greenapple said about Mad Tony wasn't the least bit insulting now, was it?

Frankly, there's not much worse that can happen on YT than getting a bad comment/PM. The worst that can happen is getting your account blocked but I doubt that's the case.

SkyPuppy
29-07-12, 23:43

hmmm....

I like commentary too. I have no idea what Mad Tony was refering to; he's on my ignore list. But if it was something negative then pay no attention to him; he's not worth it

Some very good contributions so far. I'm glad I opened this thread.

Thank you. I don't see why some people here have a bone to pick. This is a Tomb Raider forum and atleast I contribute a lot to it and entertain many members with the stuff I do. Unlike Mad Tony who never contributes anything useful to this forum and strikes me as being very insecure. But whatever, if he wishes to embarress himself then let him do so; his little squeaks of bull**** aren't going to achieve anything.

I've had some very interesting replies so far and I'll therefore keep this thread open.

Mad Tony
29-07-12, 23:44
Mad Tony, you are literally typing insults and mockery to someone who has chosen to no longer even see your messages. Have some self respect and learn when to cut it out.I was actually being serious. He doesn't seem to take criticism very well and I thought he was rather rude to SkyPuppy.

just*raidin*tomb
30-07-12, 06:24
With commentary. Why on earth would I want to watch a game just...being played? :p

That would be boring, considering I never watch games I haven't played before. I watch Blind Let's Plays for reactions which in turn provides me with lolz.

aquaflute
30-07-12, 07:30
Commentaries are fine with me. The only thing I cannot tolerate is altered background music.

patriots88888
30-07-12, 07:56
Neither tbh... I don't enjoy watching others play Tomb Raider. I used to (watch a friend play) but that was before I knew how to play it myself. I have this complex about me that my way is the right way. xD

BinRaider
30-07-12, 11:09
How do you know if you don't see my posts? :vlol:

:vlol:

I liked the first Pirates of the Caribbean film with commentary but i've never watched a game with commentary. I guess it would sort of be the same thing so i'd probably watch one with commentary but probably not if they harked on about pointless ****.

Greenapple968
30-07-12, 22:33
something terrible on Youtube has happened to you. uhh, okay.

Yes. But I managed to sort most of it out and it's a tremendous relief to no longer have to worry about it. :D

sheepman23
30-07-12, 22:37
With commentary, obviously. It's no fun if I'm just watching someone play Tomb Raider when I can do the exact same thing; there needs to be talking to keep me interested.

tomee
31-07-12, 10:48
This is a Tomb Raider forum and atleast I contribute a lot to it and entertain many members with the stuff I do. Unlike Mad Tony who never contributes anything useful to this forum and strikes me as being very insecure. But whatever, if he wishes to embarress himself then let him do so; his little squeaks of bull**** aren't going to achieve anything.

Umm, maybe Mad Tony doesn't contribute much to the tomb raider sections but he is one of the biggest and best contributor of debates and serious topics. This, contrary what you seem to think, doesn't make him a useless member here. He's just as worthy as any of us. And unlike you he can talk to you without swearing, at least he minds his manners.

So if someone has made an arse out of himself then it's you.

Well hey, now you also have one more post. :tmb: Why do you care this much. You just said that greenapple won't see it so I don't understand why either you or he should care about it. It's his fault if he doesn't want to see MT's posts when in reality he could just scroll a bit more down.
---
Just to contribute: That depends. I don't really like commentaries unless it's a blind playthrough. I also sometimes check let's plays when I first complete a game to see what others thought about places/enemies/traps/puzzles etc.

So mostly no. I don't look them up much.

Greenapple968
02-08-12, 00:16
With commentary, obviously. It's no fun if I'm just watching someone play Tomb Raider when I can do the exact same thing; there needs to be talking to keep me interested.

I also find that videos with commentary are more engaging because the commentator will often say stuff you can relate to. I recently started watching an LP for the PS1 game Croc and it was wonderful hearing the commentator remind me of all the interesting stuff I'd forgotten about. (It's been about 10 years since I played Croc.)