PDA

View Full Version : Slenderman - does it really exist or just new internet phenomena?

mind
14-08-12, 21:52
I've first come to it via internet memes. He seems rather popular these day. So I have searched on the internet a bit and found some disturbing videos claiming that there is a genuine Slenderman recorded. I don't know why, I usualy don't fear, but this is actually creepy a lot.

tLIpL26ztFo
skip to 4:10 and watch till the end
viewer discretion advised

Miharu
14-08-12, 21:54
It's just another Internet meme, one that's being around for quite awhile but it's grown in popularity since the flash game: 'Slender' was released.

mind
14-08-12, 21:57
still creepy as hell . brings chill down my spine

Gothlegend
14-08-12, 22:01
That's a marble hornets video, which I think was created as a film project based around slender man's popularity :) althoug there is one conspiracy video that shows sightings and stories of a slender like entity throughout history.

jajay119
14-08-12, 22:01
The problem I have with things like Slenderman and The Blair Witch etc is that they have supposedly been caught on camera yet according to the myths no one can escape them. So who the heck has survived to claim the camera where someone was killed in this supposed haunted, unescapable area to bring the 'evidence' back to civilisation?

Chocola teapot
14-08-12, 22:34
He clearly exists.

Miharu
14-08-12, 22:39
The problem I have with things like Slenderman and The Blair Witch etc is that they have supposedly been caught on camera yet according to the myths no one can escape them. So who the heck has survived to claim the camera where someone was killed in this supposed haunted, unescapable area to bring the 'evidence' back to civilisation?

It's called found footage. Someone who was lucky enough to go in the forest and survive 'found' the camera.

Also The Blair Witch Project isn't real. ;) And neither is this Slenderman film.

SkyPuppy
14-08-12, 22:39
it's creepy, yes, i will agree with that, but still, it's phoney. :p

He clearly exists.

Jack, shut up and get on Skype.

Legend of Lara
14-08-12, 22:41
He's real. I saw him just the other day.

I don't think he saw me, though.

At least I hope not...

Peep Show
14-08-12, 22:42
Slenderman - does it really exist?

No and i'd find it funny if anyone does believe it.

jajay119
14-08-12, 22:43
It's called found footage. Someone who was lucky enough to go in the forest and survive 'found' the camera.

Also The Blair Witch Project isn't real. ;) And neither is this Slenderman film.

But people aren't supposed to have been able to survive to claim this found footage, that's what I mean!

I know they're not real but I'm just pointing out what I feel is a glaring plothole in the story. But I've been told I think about things too much and 'normal people don't notice stuff like that' :vlol: :/

SkyPuppy
14-08-12, 22:44
He's real. I saw him just the other day.

I don't think he saw me, though.

At least I hope not...

Chris, shut up and make Jack come on Skype.

also, you're not even afraid of him to begin with... you made playing Slender totally unenjoyable because you decided it would be 'funny' to make it seem like he pops up to invite you for tea time. srs u got issues

Legend of Lara
14-08-12, 22:45
also, you're not even afraid of him to begin with... you made playing Slender totally unenjoyable because you decided it would be 'funny' to make it seem like he pops up to invite you for tea time. srs u got issues

I thought Marble Hornets was hilarious, too.

I ruin the scary for everyone. ;D

also jack get your slender ass on skype pronto

SkyPuppy
14-08-12, 22:47
I thought Marble Hornets was hilarious, too.

I ruin the scary for everyone. ;D

also jack get your slender ass on skype pronto

that's why we would totally take you on a trip to a haunted house or something. xD

yes, yes you do.

thank you, panda.

Trinity34
14-08-12, 22:50
What's a slenderman? Sorry never heard of it. :p

Miharu
14-08-12, 22:51
But people aren't supposed to have been able to survive to claim this found footage, that's what I mean!

I know they're not real but I'm just pointing out what I feel is a glaring plothole in the story. But I've been told I think about things too much and 'normal people don't notice stuff like that' :vlol: :/

:vlol: IMHO I think your normal to notice stuff like that as long as you don take it seriously to the point where you hate the films or get annoyed, I noticed it too and think it's funny how those three characters in The blair witch didn't survive but someone who found the camera did. :vlol:

Rai
14-08-12, 22:52
^^Me neither :p

Anyhoo, that footage is so obviously acted. Still creepy, I jumped a little.

Legend of Lara
14-08-12, 22:53
You guys should watch the rest of Marble Hornets.

It's pretty creepy in the early episodes, but it eventually gets reeeeeaaaaaaaal silly.

Rai
14-08-12, 23:09
I just did a quick google and image wise, the 'slenderman' reminds me a little of The Silence from Doctor Who.

larafan25
14-08-12, 23:11
Creepy and fun! :D

King.Louie
14-08-12, 23:17
I found the Marble hornets videos very fake and cheesy :/

Sir Croft
14-08-12, 23:23
Really?

King.Louie
14-08-12, 23:34
Yes.

larafan25
14-08-12, 23:37
Does he kill or just make you go insane?

Lara My Love
15-08-12, 00:11
I've first come to it via internet memes. He seems rather popular these day. So I have searched on the internet a bit and found some disturbing videos claiming that there is a genuine Slenderman recorded. I don't know why, I usualy don't fear, but this is actually creepy a lot.

tLIpL26ztFo

hmmmmmmm.....
it looks like some guys dressed up for a party, hmmmmmm but i donnu.
all i know is; he's fake..

he is fake...
maybe......... :ton:

:}hello friend
15-08-12, 01:16
I found the Marble hornets videos very fake and cheesy :/

His videos are fake, but don't let this fool you. Slenderman is a real being. He likes to prey on young children, and people who aren't open to his existence.

SkyPuppy
15-08-12, 01:33
^ your avatar is creeping me out... :o

skylark1121
15-08-12, 01:43
tLIpL26ztFo

If it's not real, they are very good actors. :pi: The girls screams kind of remind me of TReboot Lara for some reason, LOL.

almayah
15-08-12, 09:44
I've read somewhere that a rapist was using that name.
But Slenderman as Slenderman is just bogus.

Legend of Lara
15-08-12, 09:54
Y'know...

Marble Hornets basically brought Mr. Slender to the mainstream. Slender, the game, all but increased his popularity, or influence.

People are regularly creating new myths about this creature, its methods and motives, etcetera.

Perhaps this internet phenomenon is one with a reason, or a purpose. It could be that we, as people, are watching something come into existence.

Do consider that. plus his suit is so totally kawaii who's yer tailor Slender-kun~? <3 xxxxoxoxoxoxooxo

Rosaly
15-08-12, 10:04
xm6PGh2fvTg

...just found this, but I don't really believe in this.

Tombraider95
15-08-12, 10:19
His videos are fake, but don't let this fool you. Slenderman is a real being. He likes to prey on young children, and people who aren't open to his existence.

Sounds like a chain message.

Let me send this to a number of threads and hope it will keep me safe.

Rai
15-08-12, 11:10
Y'know...

Marble Hornets basically brought Mr. Slender to the mainstream. Slender, the game, all but increased his popularity, or influence.

People are regularly creating new myths about this creature, its methods and motives, etcetera.

Perhaps this internet phenomenon is one with a reason, or a purpose. It could be that we, as people, are watching something come into existence.

Do consider that. plus his suit is so totally kawaii who's yer tailor Slender-kun~? <3 xxxxoxoxoxoxooxo

Maybe you're right :eek:. As I said yesterday, the image of slenderman:
http://www.dandwiki.com/w/images/2/2c/Slenderman.jpg

is similar to that of the Silence:https://encrypted-tbn2.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRk85nw9AILqbZ1MXghmAEqrh3Lyjf8d y908qWonh3PT-UeC6cQ . Did Doctor Who get the idea of The Silence from the Slenderman? The idea behind the Silence is that if you see the Silence you instantly forget about them when you turn away - until the Doctor makes it so we're all aware of their existence. Maybe the new 'trend' for the slenderman on the internet is having the same affect?

yeah, I'm not buying it, but still something to think about.

Actually, how long has this so called 'phenomenon' been going on, on the internet? I wouldn't be surprised if it's the other way round, slenderman was inspired by the Silence.

Boobandie
15-08-12, 11:13
is similar to that of the Silence: . Did Doctor Who get the idea of The Silence from the Slenderman? The idea behind the Silence is that if you see the silence you instantly forget about them when you turn away - until the Doctor makes it so we're all aware of their existence. Mayne the new 'trend' for the slenderman on the internet is having the same affect?

But we weren't aware of it, that's the point. We would be subconsciously killing them and never remembering it.

Anyway, to be very clear. SLENDERMAN IS NOT REAL. He was invented as part of a competition for fake scary stories and has become quite popular since.

interstellardave
15-08-12, 11:18
Anyone can create any kind of very convincing-looking fake photos and videos these days. That realization should be firm in everyone's mind by now, so you really shouldn't be concerned about probably 99% of the weird and scary things you see on the internet. If it seems too fantastic to be real it probably is. The other 1% are interesting because those are ones where a real scientific investigation has not found an explanation yet; it's just a shame there's so much fake stuff getting in the way.

Legend of Lara
15-08-12, 11:24
I'm going to ruin this for everyone.

Mr. Slender was made up by some dude on the Something Awful forums in a thread about creepy photoshops. I'm serious, too.

The more you know~

Lara My Love
15-08-12, 11:31
Jeff The Killer is real, why you ask.
i was going to a hair-saloon and was getting a new haircut and the guy that was going to cut my hair had a black jeans on, and a white hood, and black hair, and a bit creepy smile. so i asked him what his name was, he said 'jeff'

i nearly pissed myself lol.

Legend of Lara
15-08-12, 11:32
Jeff the Killer is even faker than Slendy but HE STILL FREAKS ME THE HELL OUT

Do we make this into a creepypasta thread now? D:
(because I love those)

Lara My Love
15-08-12, 11:34
Jeff the Killer is even faker than Slendy but HE STILL FREAKS ME THE HELL OUT

Do we make this into a creepypasta thread now? D:
(because I love those)

yes, please re-name the thread for creepy-dinner i mean creepypasta.

the more you know~

Legend of Lara
15-08-12, 11:44
I think our previous thread got moved to Mature Gen Chat, since it did start becoming about more... unpleasant things.

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m8s4hnDt1F1qe4y0zo2_500.gif

Lara My Love
15-08-12, 13:45
xm6PGh2fvTg

...just found this, but I don't really believe in this.

ok, that was abit creepy..
but im sure he's just fake and fake and fake.

Sir Croft
15-08-12, 14:16
I'm going to ruin this for everyone.

Mr. Slender was made up by some dude on the Something Awful forums in a thread about creepy photoshops. I'm serious, too.

The more you know~
Yeeep

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/slender-man

He's the coolest creepypasta ever made, though.

Greenkey2
15-08-12, 15:03
He's a modern-day bogey-man, and just as imaginary. I once knew someone who refused point-blank to use her upstairs bedroom because she was told by a game on Facebook that the ghost of an axe-murderer was up there (or was it Michael Jackson? Possibly both :pi:).

In short, if you've got more than two brain cells to rub together, you can sleep soundly tonight. If, however, you recognise certain personality traits in common with this person I've described, then Slenderman is out there... and he's coming for you.

patriots88888
15-08-12, 15:18
Reminds me of that ultra dumb, ultra boring horror flick Candyman.

tomee
15-08-12, 15:20
In short, if you've got more than two brain cells to rub together, you can sleep soundly tonight. If, however, you recognise certain personality traits in common with this person I've described, then Slenderman is out there... and he's coming for you.

This. :D

Laras Boyfr.
15-08-12, 15:25
Sure he ain't real but if he gets famous enough I can imagine that some psychopathic freak will try to be like him.
It wouldn't be the first time

interstellardave
15-08-12, 16:31
Reminds me of that ultra dumb, ultra boring horror flick Candyman.

It also brings to mind the "Tall man" from Phantasm.

I once knew someone who refused point-blank to use her upstairs bedroom because she was told by a game on Facebook that the ghost of an axe-murderer was up there (or was it Michael Jackson? Possibly both :pi:).

Well, being a "she" I'm sure she'd be safe with MJ. :whi:

Liara
15-08-12, 16:52
I think Slender's a pretty neat dude. Wears a snappy suit, never kills anyone on-screen. Give him a face and he could actually pass off as normal. And those long arms look like they could give magnificent hugs.

BrandonFlowers
15-08-12, 16:57
I think Slender's a pretty neat dude. Wears a snappy suit, never kills anyone on-screen. Give him a face and he could actually pass off as normal. And those long arms look like they could give magnificent hugs.

I was thinking the same :p

Wraith
15-08-12, 17:48
Anyone else getting this kind of vibe?

http://www.thedougjonesexperience.com/gentlemen~3.jpg

:D

All the videos come across as fake, and scripted.

Truth is,anything genuinely supernatural is hardly ever - even now,hardly ever - caught on film/audio.

I'm not a video or photo expert at all, but out of the many hundreds of photo/film/audio I've searched through,there have been maybe about five that seemed genuine.

Even the time we caught something - well,something was genuinely happening,no idea what however - but whatever we caught during that process was reduced to.... nothing. Just a faintly pinkish pulse on the screen :/ The audio didn't even come out.

Legend of Lara
15-08-12, 17:49

I rewatched that episode today. Flaws were not present at all. <3

Lara's_Guy
15-08-12, 17:57
Real or not, I'm not about to watch any of these videos, I HATE scary stuff. :p

larafan25
15-08-12, 17:59
Before I went to bed last night I was reading about him and watching some video which described the places where he liked to sort...just wander, such as long empty roads, etc...

And as I was going to bed the first thing I see is this commercial for some store, I think it was Sports Check or something and it's just this compilation of long roads and tunnels with fog and surrounded by trees, I thought I was about to be caught by him. :pi:

CroftWriter
15-08-12, 18:01
They're making a Slenderman movie entitled The Tall Man, I think. No news in ages, but you can check it out on IMDb.

EDIT: it might not be about the slender man at all. Lol.

moodydog
15-08-12, 20:29

All the videos come across as fake, and scripted.

Truth is,anything genuinely supernatural is hardly ever - even now,hardly ever - caught on film/audio.

I'm not a video or photo expert at all, but out of the many hundreds of photo/film/audio I've searched through,there have been maybe about five that seemed genuine.

Even the time we caught something - well,something was genuinely happening,no idea what however - but whatever we caught during that process was reduced to.... nothing. Just a faintly pinkish pulse on the screen :/ The audio didn't even come out.

what's the image from?

Has anyone played the game slender? I played 2 seconds of it, but I generally cannot carry on I was too scared.

Legend of Lara
15-08-12, 20:38
what's the image from?

Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Specifically, the season 4 episode "Hush".

Pictured are The Gentlemen, a group of fairy tale monsters who come to Sunnydale (the town Buffy is set in), steal everyone's voices so that they can't scream, and go around during the night in search of seven human hearts.

lara c. fan
15-08-12, 20:42
Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Specifically, the season 4 episode "Hush".

Pictured are The Gentlemen, a group of fairy tale monsters who come to Sunnydale (the town Buffy is set in), steal everyone's voices so that they can't scream, and go around during the night in search of seven human hearts.

They sure do sound like true gentlemen.

Rosaly
15-08-12, 20:42
ok, that was abit creepy..
but im sure he's just fake and fake and fake.

It's fake don't worry :p

After the program called "Photoshop" was made, I don't believe in a single picture I see on the internet..LOL! :vlol: :D

Legend of Lara
15-08-12, 20:43
They sure do sound like true gentlemen.

They are very polite about their activities.

kooky
15-08-12, 20:50
Meh, looks more like a meme if you ask me. But I do not believe it until I actually see it, either that or it was a comedic video lol. xD

Orionvalentine
16-08-12, 08:56
http://static.fjcdn.com/gifs/slenderman+takes+a+tumble_3c37d3_3763235.gif

Trinity34
17-08-12, 03:26
Sure he ain't real but if he gets famous enough I can imagine that some psychopathic freak will try to be like him.
It wouldn't be the first time

Now this is the real scary stuff....^^

Stevo505
17-08-12, 05:09
He's real. He watches me.

aquaflute
17-08-12, 05:19
There are far more horrible human beings in real life than these myths...

Laras Boyfr.
28-08-12, 16:41
Sorry for the bump but I didnt want to open another thread.

So have you guys played this yet?
My friends say its freaking scary and I probably shouldnt.
However watching the walkthroughs I think many are exagerrating
what do you think? :pi:

larafan25
28-08-12, 16:41
Play it, it's fun, not too scary if you can keep your head about.

trfanX34
28-08-12, 16:44
It's scarier ingame than in videos :pi:

Oh btw today I dreamt that Slenderman killed a friend of mine by stabbing her with his fingers. Yay!

Reggie
28-08-12, 16:45
http://epicdemotivational.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/demotivational-posters-even-slenderman.jpg

SpyrosMonster
28-08-12, 17:03
I've never been scared of those myths but this one is scary as ****!
When I played the game for the first time I couldn't sleep for 4 days!
Then I started watching those entries and I re-played the game at midnight!
Since then I'm afraid of the dark like TOO AFRAID
I'm trying to sleep and while I'm trying my head makes up noises and
I'm getting so scared that my whole body goes numb and can't move! When I finally get to sleep I have nightmares about him!
So a week now I can't sleep past 6 in the morning! It's horrible.
It actually is even more horrible if you are such a vajey-jey just like me... :ton:

Evermore
28-08-12, 17:04
^Reggie :vlol:

Sorry for the bump but I didnt want to open another thread.

So have you guys played this yet?
My friends say its freaking scary and I probably shouldnt.
However watching the walkthroughs I think many are exagerrating
what do you think? :pi:

It really depends on the gamer. It's meant to be a scary game (and it is, imo, and I've only seen the videos) but I'm sure there are some that really aren't affected by it. I'd say give it a go if you want to, because you can easily quit out of it if it's too frightening and it will only cost a few nights of terror. :)

interstellardave
28-08-12, 17:12
When Destination Truth sets off in search of Slenderman then I'll pay attention. For now this exists entirely on the internet.

http://www.syfy.com/destinationtruth/

Evermore
28-08-12, 17:15
Actually he sounds like the faceless villain from Sapphire and Steel... :whi:

Admles
28-08-12, 17:26
:vlol: People are actually debating if Slenderman is real?

It was created as part of a contest on the Something Awful forums around 2009!

Autolycus
28-08-12, 18:00
:vlol: People are actually debating if Slenderman is real?

It was created as part of a contest on the Something Awful forums around 2009!

Got to agree, You can clearly tell it's fake. There must be millions of these kind of videos flying over the internet.

Evan C.
28-08-12, 18:01
Ok...........

Reggie
28-08-12, 18:02
People are actually debating if KONY is real?

Oh wait. :pi:

Sgt BOMBULOUS
28-08-12, 18:03
I'm having a beer with him right now. He wanted to tell you guys: "MOAGblast"

SpyrosMonster
28-08-12, 18:27
I'm having a beer with him right now. He wanted to tell you guys: "MOAGblast"

Well tell him to **** off! :D

Mikky
28-08-12, 18:31
Never heard of this Slenderman until now. :p Although he is creepy, I wouldn't mind meeting him and giving him a hug. :hug:

Evermore
28-08-12, 18:31
wait wut slndrman dusnt exist how can this be!!!!111!!1!1!

Yeah, Slenderman isn't real. That sort of stuff just doesn't go on in real life. o_o

NRO.
28-08-12, 18:41
Santa, does it really exist or just old child phenomena?

EscondeR
28-08-12, 18:43
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o307/EscondeR_Croft/Smilies/slendermote.gif

tomee
28-08-12, 18:53
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o307/EscondeR_Croft/Smilies/slendermote.gif

Quoted for evidence.

tomekkobialka
28-08-12, 18:54
I'm almost 100% sure it's the Illuminati.

zeussy
28-08-12, 18:59
I had a dream several days ago that my water goggles had moved from the bag hanging behind my door to this huge bin my hamster is housed in, and it's on the other side of the room. I woke up and randomly decided to check the bin a few hours later, the goggle was there. It really scared and unsettled me, I guess I sleepwalked or something xD Either that or it was slenderclitoris, even though that doesn't make sense...

Eden95
28-08-12, 19:32
Slender Man (a.k.a Slenderman) is a mythical creature often depicted as a tall, thin figure wearing a black suit and a blank face. According to the legend, he can stretch or shorten his arms at will and has tentacle-like appendages protruding from his back. Depending on the interpretations of the myth, the creature can cause memory loss, insomnia, paranoia, coughing fits (nicknamed “slendersickness”), photograph/video distortions and can teleport at will. He also has a habit of moving eye related objects such as glasses or goggles in people's houses. The urban legend has inspired fan arts, fictional creepypastas and a mockumentary series in the style of the 1999 indie horror film Blair Witch Project.

Interesting...

But I read the thread on somethingawful where it was created, which is enough to beleive that anything saying it's real is photoshopped :p

Zreen001
28-08-12, 19:32
I love how this whole thread turned into a comedy... :vlol:

SpyrosMonster
28-08-12, 23:48
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m9gka62MTa1qgz1lpo1_500.jpg

b0bb13
29-08-12, 16:21
gvSCD40LPj4

slendy is rabu >///<

Sgt BOMBULOUS
29-08-12, 16:24
I think this whole ordeal discriminates against overweight people. Why can't he be "Fatman"?

EscondeR
29-08-12, 17:09
I think this whole ordeal discriminates against overweight people. Why can't he be "Fatman"?

Make a "Mr. Scatman" remake ;)

Legend of Lara
29-08-12, 17:40
gvSCD40LPj4

slendy is rabu >///<

This video needs to be on this page as well as every page to come.

Orionvalentine
29-08-12, 23:27
So, I had a birthday balloon in my bedroom and fell asleep for the night. I woke up at around 3AM and the balloon had floated to my bed, I almost shat myself when I turned over. My first thought was "****! Slenderman!"

:o

mind
29-08-12, 23:28
Make a "Mr. Scatman" remake ;)

mr. scatman sounds very fetishistic these days

Encore
29-08-12, 23:47
QqakBC4p04A

:vlol:

I think the slenderman is a really cool creepypasta phenomenon. It's not really scary though. OK, the game is, but only because of how it's designed, not because of slenderman himself.

I saw the "documentary" on slenderman on youtube... It was really weak and amateurish. I wish a proper movie was done on the subject!

:}hello friend
30-08-12, 00:36
gT9r_-oHJV0

GIMME. 20. DOLLARS.

the ancient
02-09-12, 14:37
He is real

http://i50.************/2wgat4x.png

and using your kitchen at night.

To wake you up with a delicious breakfast!

TippingWater
02-09-12, 15:02
Abba - Gimme! Gimme! Gimme! (A SlenderMan After Midnight)

XEjLoHdbVeE

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m9og7eehTu1r7drv2o3_250.gif

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m9og7eehTu1r7drv2o1_250.gif