PDA

View Full Version : How much did Classic Lara Croft influence you?

tlr online
03-01-18, 03:41
Requested by Anonymous.

How much did Classic Lara Croft influence you?

HD Simplicityy
03-01-18, 04:08
Not at all, since the only classic game I've played is the original. Now the new ones? Yes. They influence my almost two year old in-progress fanfiction. Well, Rise does mostly.

Boobandie
03-01-18, 04:25
She is a significant part of my world. If I had have been asked when I was 15, I would have said "She made me who I am today ", but I've grown a lot since then and branched out into other areas. Still, throughout my entire childhood Lara was a heavy influence and I was constantly trying to emulate her. Replicating her animations taught me how to swim and to this day I make little "hup" noises when I climb on things. She was my main muse in learning to draw and inspired me to be more active.

I would be a very different person if my dad hadn't let me play Tomb Raider when I was 4.

PS: Penguins are forever :p

robm_2007
03-01-18, 04:51
I once took an anthropology course but I reconsidered getting that boob job.

It also inspired me to want to go to Venice (which I have) and the Himalayas (maybe some day). It also started my recurring dreams of being able to gymnastics (something I've always wanted to be able to do). And my interest in playing as female characters in games, wanting dual pistols in any game with guns, and the urge to be able to climb everything in games (and following disappointment when the platforming isn't as free in other games).

HarleyCroft
03-01-18, 05:07
She literally made me who I am today.

I love combat boots and fingerless gloves with short-shorts and still climb on everything that looks climable, even though I'm apparently an adult now :D
Apart from the athletics, the sexiest thing about her has always been her mind :cln: Wish I was half as quick-witted and classy as she is! Her only drug is adrenaline and nothing will ever stop her from living how she wants to live ♡

Couldn't have asked for a better role model growing up :)
Here's to you, Lara :hug:

Boobandie
03-01-18, 05:07
^oh yeah. Lucid dreaming is so much more fun with Lara's moveset. I'm always disappointed when i wake up and remember I can't jump that high. XD I can do the combat rolls and shimmying/ledge hopping though. :D

jackali
03-01-18, 07:48
Penguins are forever, forever, forever.

trfanX34
03-01-18, 11:57
Very much.

Dennis's Mom
03-01-18, 12:33
It was so refreshing to see a female character that wasn't beholden to anyone, who controlled her own fate, who didn't exist solely to help or fulfill some male character's goal.

She was a loose cannon, and girls never get to be the hero AND the loose cannon.

Yeauxleaux
03-01-18, 12:55
Hard to say

I think she was definitely a part of inspiring my love of travel. I think she also snapped me out of thinking I needed friends or family to travel with, that it's ok (arguably even better) to travel alone.

I guess she's also a role model for how sophisticated and witty she is, and for standing up for yourself and what you want.

Quebsenuef
03-01-18, 13:19
She was and still is a significant part of my world. Being a young, scrawny kid I was picked on and bullied a lot and she was a role model to me in that its alright to be alone, use humor and wit to outsmart, and to be above all determined in what you want in life.

Shes like a superhero to me like how most people look up to Batman or Superman. I cant imagine whered Id be without Lara and Tomb Raider. I want to travel the world bc of her. I strive to be athletic bc of her. I wish to be independent and successful just like her. Shes my very first hero.

dinne
03-01-18, 13:29
^oh yeah. Lucid dreaming is so much more fun with Lara's moveset. I'm always disappointed when i wake up and remember I can't jump that high. XD I can do the combat rolls and shimmying/ledge hopping though. :D

Ohhhh it happened to me too!!!

Laras Dream
03-01-18, 13:34
Quite simply made me who I am today.

It was being part of the TR community that made me visit fansites, eventually making my own, and now I have great web development skills. It was TRLE that got me interested in game development, and now I work with Unity on a regular basis.

I am so grateful I found this character.

NoahCrofRaider
03-01-18, 14:10
She is a significant part of my world. I wanted to be witty and clever like she was. I wanted to venture across the globe in search of thrill, adventure, and excitement, just like her. I wanted to be acrobatic and athletic like she is. At one point, I wanted to be her, to a degree, of course.

I still want to be like her in all these categories even today, but I've also realized that that isn't who I am. Not entirely. However, I still have that craving, we'll call it, for adventure, and I love almost any bit of it I can get in my day-to-day life. I also still wish to be, at times, clever and witty. I'm so thankful my dad introduced me to Lara Croft and Tomb Raider.

Alex Fly
03-01-18, 14:25
Penguins are forever. ;)

Rai
03-01-18, 16:54
Penguins are forever, not just for Christmas, tbh. :D

I wouldn't say [Classic] Lara has influenced me, necessarily, but TR as a franchise. I was recommended TR as a game I could play and I became quickly hooked. It's the main video game I play, though I dabble in other games. It brought me to these forums and I've been inspired to write fan fiction. Classic TR came first for me, so without those games, then I may not be here at all. Before TR found me, I always thought video games were for kids or, at oldest, late teens, but anyone can enjoy them.

King Ultra
03-01-18, 19:09
she had a major impact on me,and shaped many parts of me,im sarcastic,and cold,but I do care about some people and things and that's noticeable at times,I don't like to play by any rules but my own, i also love history and have toyed with the idea of going to college for archeology,also shes why I love Boots, leather gloves, and circular lense sunglasses.....oh and England and anything British for that matter

Caesum
03-01-18, 19:23
She was the reason I started studying archaeology (well she and my mom).

Blackmoor
03-01-18, 20:13
Influence me?

Not at all, really.

TR-Freak
04-01-18, 08:02
way too much tbh.

I still have the urge to say "aha" when i grab things, or make weird noises when I climb something.

Thinking about Bouldering just to know how it is :jmp:

Joey79100
04-01-18, 08:18
^
Reading this as a non-native English speaker, I didn't know what bouldering was, however I know what boulders are in Tomb Raider. So basically, I thought you wanted to get crushed by a boulder, just to know how it is... :D

FanosCroft
04-01-18, 09:13
She is a significant part of my world, she inspires me a lot.

dcw123
04-01-18, 10:18
Core Design's classic Lara I grew up with since TR1 when I was 5 years old. I am 27 now and still play them with joy..

Her many adventures inspired me to travel and I really want to see the world.
Uncharted did this also I guess... Nepal was awesome
Have to resist the urge to climb everything though HAHA

Reboot and Rise were just so meh. Lara wasn't a character anymore IMO she was a plain Jane..
Hopefully we'll get something more akin to LAU or Classics in Shadow of the TR

tomee
04-01-18, 10:34
I voted not at all, but upon further thinking she did influence me, although not directly. I think my views on the world, politics, modern day events would be so so much different if it wasn't for the mere fact that I joined TRF nearly 9 years ago. It shaped me so much over the years.

I think it's still far too much to say she's a significant part of my world though. :ponder:

Grimaldi
04-01-18, 15:36
She was a great female role model when I was a kid. I was more comfortable expressing feminine qualities because of her, and learned a little about different mythologies and places in the world through her. Like Rai, I'd attribute it more to TR as a whole, and the fandom too, but Lara's been a big influence.

wmcintosh
04-01-18, 17:48
Liked the fact it was solely a female.

I'm 53 year old male and still love it.

lararoxs
04-01-18, 19:53
Significant part of my world - Growing up I was Lara mad and all I was ever interested in was Lara Croft and Tomb Raider. The original games were all I knew and I grew up watching my Dad play TR1 before TR2 was my first game completed on my own and all the way through. I was about 3 years old when I was first shown Tomb Raider and Lara. :)

I was that engrossed that it was my sister's birthday one year and my Mum asked her if she'd blown out her candles and made a wish and of course to keep it secret, I was about 5 and butted in "it doesn't matter, they don't come true anyway". My Mum was shocked and asked why I thought so and what I had wished for that I didn't get. I informed her that I wished for a pair of uzis like Lara Croft and I still hadn't gotten them. :vlol:

In recent years, not so much, I'm not as die-hard of a fan or I just don't relate to the new games like I did the classics. Lara is still a big part of my world, just not as much so, to say she made me who I am today.

Laralicious
04-01-18, 22:21
And she still influences me. Even though I do not have a degree in archaeology or a job in the profession, it (or something in history) is my dream job and I love to watch archaeology/ historical documentaries on TV.

She has influenced the hobbies that I have, encouraging a deep interest in history, mythology and religious studies and these were the subjects that I took in GCSE and A Level.

She influences the way I dress, typical military trousers, camo trousers, boots etc and I don't care if it looks '90s, as long as I feel that it's Lara like. I do some cosplaying (not public) but that gives me a confidence boost. I keep active and in shape and strong because Lara is those things. I have long hair (and I mean long, just past my hips long) that I plait almost every day. Whenever I am a little nervous, I think of her and all that she can do.

She has influenced some of my characteristics, her home is simple and clean so I try to keep my home simplistic and tidy. I feel that she is lady like, elegant and polite to strangers (apart from enemies), she is willing to help strangers (brother Chen and Sarg. Azziz) and I try to follow that. She doesn't smoke or drink and that is why I do not ever smoke or drink alcohol. She is smart and I try to keep learning things to be like her. I want to travel to the locations that she has visited because of her.

I suppose I was at a young enough age to be influenced by her as I grew up with her. I just adore her!

Eddie Haskell
05-01-18, 02:11
Not in any way at all.

Evan C.
05-01-18, 15:45
She made me who I am. She means everything to me and probably she is gonna be between the last 3 things Ill think of before passing away. Its kinda disturbing but it is!

Blackmoor
05-01-18, 15:51
As I've already mentioned in my post, personally it has no effect on me, but I am finding it really interesting and kind of heartening to read the impacts others felt the game / Lara has had on them.

It's quite profound how important art is / can be to humans - in whatever format (games, books, visual art, films, etc)

Just wanted to make that point.

Chamayoo
05-01-18, 16:30
The games are my life but I really don't think Lara did influence me... Maybe a bit on something I did not notice ?

EDIT : Find it !
Have to resist the urge to climb everything though HAHA
Exactly the same. :D

Shirley_Manson
06-01-18, 02:26
Maybe a little bit 10 years ago. Superficial stuff. It's insignificant now.
Though.... AOD Lara forced me to wear an eyeliner so thick people probably thought I was a racoon back then.

Mikky
06-01-18, 18:10
It's weird, people always fixate on Lara, but it's always been about the games for me. Yes, I love/d Lara, but if I think about it, even back then, it's not like I looked up to her as some idol or aspired to be like her, she was just a nice by-product of these amazing games that I deeply enjoyed; she was PART of the game, she wasn't THE game. So if the question was "How much did Classic Tomb Raider influence you?", I would happily say, "it is a significant part of my world".

Unfortunately that is NOT the question, so... Penguins are forever. Because let's face it, in 100 years, Lara will just be a fond memory, while penguins will still be walking the half-frozen Earth. :wve:

Trenton
06-01-18, 21:33
It's weird, people always fixate on Lara, but it's always been about the games for me. Yes, I love/d Lara, but if I think about it, even back then, it's not like I looked up to her as some idol or aspired to be like her, she was just a nice by-product of these amazing games that I deeply enjoyed; she was PART of the game, she wasn't THE game. So if the question was "How much did Classic Tomb Raider influence you?", I would happily say, "it is a significant part of my world".

This. You put into words my feelings on this better than I ever could have worded it myself so please allow me the liberty of simply quoting you. :)

, in 100 years, Lara will just be a fond memory, while penguins will still be walking the half-frozen Earth. :wve:

Unless global warming makes short work of them that is :mis:

strawberry22
11-01-18, 21:51
Definitely she did(does) in some way. Shes empowering, assertive and knows no bounds. The same cant be said for the new Lara.

Girafarig32
12-01-18, 06:06
Lara has absolutely had an impact on me. I remember when I was little I used to do the little hand-guns and run around exploring like Lara. Of course, what kid who grew up with classic Lara didn't do that? To this day, I use her as a role model. I know that Lara was such a great influence as one of the first female video game protagonists who was independent and fierce, and I think it's really cool that her influence goes even beyond gender. Lara was just a great impact overall.

To say that Lara was what made me who I am today is not completely honest. I would have to give that honor to my mother.

Also, how can anyone not be influenced at all if you made an account here? Doesn't this count? :p

welshguy34
12-01-18, 23:28
Not at all sadly. Did not start playing Tomb Raider until Angel Of Darkness. I picked the wrong game to start there.

charmedangelin
13-01-18, 00:57
Can't say, depends on what they mean by influence? For me I'll say both Xena Warrior Princess and Lara Croft showed me just how awesome women are. I remember as a child wishing I could be Xena or Lara Croft because I always respected women. Although I have to really chalk that up to having a really wonderful mother who would move heaven and Earth for me if she had to. She would also sacrifice whatever she had to do in order to keep me and my little brother happy and safe. I would say women like Xena and Lara Croft just really emphized that and I remember when I had to talk to a therapist one time I actually preference to talk to a woman therapist as opposed to a man therapist and I always choose female characters in video games over male characters.

I would say that Lara Croft really emphasized the respect I for women which is probably why I get so defensive and upset when people criticize classic Lara and say that she was nothing more then eye candy for men because I never saw Lara Croft as eye candy and saw her more along the lines of someone who was badass, strong confident, and beautiful.

sierra xb
13-01-18, 21:39
I have to admit that classic Lara had no influence in my life whatsoever (ducks). In my defense though, my first experience with Tomb Raider was Legend, and I haven't even played any of the 6 classic games....yet (it's on my to-do list). I suspect that even when I do finally play them, classic Lara won't have much of an effect on me because LAU Lara was there first.

ancientIo
18-01-18, 19:44
she made me who i am today

she kindled a new interest in me - traveling. and because lara was alone i knew i could be alone provided i had the instincts.

Nausinous
21-01-18, 19:42
When I found myself increasingly without friends in school because of bullying, I knew I'd be fine, Lara was always on her own and found solace in it. Sure she is a fictional character, but she began my need to surround myself with mentally and physically strong figures, both fictional and real. I started weightlifting because I was inspired by them. Even most recently by the new Tomb Raider film trailer, she looks jacked and it's inspiring. She's also piqued my interest in history, video games, architecture, art, etc. She's responsible for a lot in my life, it's incredible really because as I've said, she's fictional.

Caesum
21-01-18, 21:22
She's the reason I wear shorts and tank top outside during winter

Daring Do
21-01-18, 23:16
Reboot Lara has influenced me to swear more and I am ****ing glad for that.

Nigel Cassidy
21-01-18, 23:20
Reboot Lara has influenced me to swear more and I am ****ing glad for that.

That made me ****ing laugh my mother****ing *** off :)

Daring Do
21-01-18, 23:25
That made me ****ing laugh my mother****ing *** off :)

Lmfao

Nigel Cassidy
21-01-18, 23:31
lmfao

ommfg

trfan16
22-01-18, 02:06
I wouldn't say that she influenced me much, but she's definitely one of my all time favorite video game characters. Admittedly, I like the Classic games more for the tombs and exploration. I loved the lore and mystery behind the different locations that Classic Lara visited along her travels. Some of the locations that Lara visited like Palace Midas and Floating Islands has inspired me to do further research behind the inspirations for these locations. Of course, there's no denying that Classic Lara is a big part of my love for the Classic games. But for the most part, the main characters for my favorite video game series are just a portion on why I might like that particular series.

Mickybyrne20
29-01-18, 01:14
She's the reason I wear shorts and tank top outside during winter Hahaha! The girl is brave, that's for sure.

scremanie
29-01-18, 03:42
Shes definitely a significant part of my world. Id say she helped shape me to who I am today, too. I had a rather... difficult childhood, and I missed a lot of school, so in order to escape from the troubles of my life, Id play Tomb Raider, and Lara was my biggest hero growing up. Id say she still is. Everything I do, she tends to have an influence over. Like in my head Ill think What would Lara do? If Im making big life decisions :p
I do owe a massive part of my sanity to her, Id say.

TR-Freak
29-01-18, 07:36
She's the reason I wear shorts and tank top outside during winter
pics or didn't happen

Tombraider95
29-01-18, 08:22
She made me who I am today.

I always wanted to be her growing up. I used to run around the garden with my dual gun holsters and sisters yellow backpack she had. I remember rolling around hurting myself from how bulgy the backpack and guns were and thinking how easy it looks for Lara to do it lol I also enjoy wearing fingerless gloves during winter not only for practicality but I think they look cool. Although at the same time they can give off that homeless look.

But if it wasn't for my interest in the games, I wouldn't have started level building which means I probably wouldn't have my job in the games industry today :admles:

Dustie
29-01-18, 09:18
pics or didn't happen

Precisely!!

I'm fairly obsessed with some of the stuff in Tomb Raider and I know I will use it in my work in the future. :)

SilentRain
12-03-18, 01:29
Not at all, since the only classic game I've played is the original. Now the new ones? Yes. They influence my almost two year old in-progress fanfiction. Well, Rise does mostly.

Fanfiction? Of Reboot/Rise? The hell?

What kind of fanfiction? If it's a adventure/character building one, then i'd love to read it.

If it's some smutty, lame-ass Lara/Sam one, then you can miss me with that ****. :pi:

Liked the fact it was solely a female.

I'm 53 year old male and still love it.

That came across vaguely creepy. So you only liked Lara because she's a female? Uh...

It was so refreshing to see a female character that wasn't beholden to anyone, who controlled her own fate, who didn't exist solely to help or fulfill some male character's goal.

She was a loose cannon, and girls never get to be the hero AND the loose cannon.

Preach it, Lisa. ;)

HD Simplicityy
12-03-18, 03:23
Fanfiction? Of Reboot/Rise? The hell?

What kind of fanfiction? If it's a adventure/character building one, then i'd love to read it.

If it's some smutty, lame-ass Lara/Sam one, then you can miss me with that ****. :pi:

I saw your message on my profile. Sorry for not getting back. Forgot to check it. Its a direct sequel to Rise, taking place about a month after. Yes its an action adventure. The reboots are largely my inspiration. I could add some sarcastic dialogue and humor that the classics have.

I'm expanding on the lore of the Prophet (already have. Haven't implemented it or finalized it). Lara, Sam, Jonah, Sophia and Trinity are in it, as well as some new ones in both the Remnant and Trinity. For my novice abilities its a fairly large cast. I'm taking it on as a personal challenge, no matter the result. I have plans for it, and the falling action at the end thought of.

Not planning on having a lame a** Lara or Sam; both are going to experience changes that could..or will...alter their perspective on what they're doing. And it'll be a while before I finish it. While I am 42 and a half pages typed, 20,600 words plus, I want to try doubling that. Might happen or might not.

NoahCrofRaider
12-03-18, 18:45
I saw your message on my profile. Sorry for not getting back. Forgot to check it. Its a direct sequel to Rise, taking place about a month after. Yes its an action adventure. The reboots are largely my inspiration. I could add some sarcastic dialogue and humor that the classics have.

I'm expanding on the lore of the Prophet (already have. Haven't implemented it or finalized it). Lara, Sam, Jonah, Sophia and Trinity are in it, as well as some new ones in both the Remnant and Trinity. For my novice abilities its a fairly large cast. I'm taking it on as a personal challenge, not matter the result. I have plans for it, and the falling action at the end thought of.

Not planning on having a lame a** Lara or Sam; both are going to experience changes that could..or will...alter their perspective on what they're doing. And it'll be a while before I finish it. While I am 42 and a half pages typed, 20,600 words plus, I want to try doubling that. Might happen or might not.
Ooh, I like this! I might need to give this a read when finished. :tmb:

HD Simplicityy
12-03-18, 23:37
Ooh, I like this! I might need to give this a read when finished. :tmb:

:D Thanks! My biggest dream for it would be to have it canonized by Crystal Dynamics...if I make it that far. Who knows?

ArigatoGozymas
14-03-18, 15:05
More than any real or virtual person ever did.

redfox45
14-03-18, 19:07
I used to get bits of chalk and draw the Fiamma Nera symbol on trees. I'm not sure if that counts.

Love2Raid
18-03-18, 13:21
I wanted to vote not at all, but in the end I went with just a little bit so that I can pick the other option in case the 'reboot' version of the poll shows up. :pi:

Athukraz
18-03-18, 15:32
She is a significant part of my world and she impacted my life. I don't think I would have loved geography, history, climbing, and adventures without her. And I probably wouldn't be a gamer. So thank you Lara <3 :hug:

random0905
18-03-18, 19:11
I'd have to say she's a significant part of my world and has been since childhood. I remember running around the woodland parks with my "fictional pistols" drawn :admles:
I even remember swan diving of some bloody gravel heap and cutting half my leg, but I wasn't fazed as I imagined myself as Lara aha. (Things you do when you're younger!)
Lara also sparked my interest in history and got me into gaming properly, although I could never complete the classics when I was seven :D

wmcintosh
19-03-18, 08:36
Edit: removed the quoted text, does not matter to me. I voted Just a little bit for the game play.

bekim
19-03-18, 09:25
It's weird how a fictional character can have a bigger impact than real people. Talk about god!

larafan25
19-03-18, 19:10
It's weird how a fictional character can have a bigger impact than real people. Talk about god!

A fictional character is perhaps capable of hurting or annoying you less, and maybe be more easily shown in a positive light.

However, it's mostly all the same I'd say. :ponder:

Lyle Croft
20-03-18, 00:34
Classic Lara is a gay icon.

Gays literally wear round glasses, jean jackets, and cute shorts, and boots.

Thanks to Lara Croft's impact!

:)

---
:gay:

LAU Lara taught us how to be in touch with our emotions. ANd Reboot Lara really taught us how to be fierce.

NoahCrofRaider
20-03-18, 01:04
Classic Lara is a gay icon.

Gays literally wear round glasses, jean jackets, and cute shorts, and boots.

Thanks to Lara Croft's impact!

:)

---
:gay:

LAU Lara taught us how to be in touch with our emotions. ANd Reboot Lara really taught us how to be fierce.

No. TR isn't meant to be all touchy-feely stuff.

Ramoram
20-03-18, 02:13
She is a significant part of my world. I grew up with this game since I playing it from 1996 when I was 8 and still playing it.

Melonie Tomb Raider
20-03-18, 02:48
She changed my life and made me who I am today, no doubt about it

Lyle Croft
20-03-18, 10:32
No. TR isn't meant to be all touchy-feely stuff.

I only added those last two so they were there. Lol.

Anniversary Lara
25-03-18, 07:49
Lara influenced me quite a bit. Before I received the first game (Tomb Raider 1996), I dreamt about her although I knew very little about her then. Somehow I knew she would be in my life.

Growing up I received comments that I kind of look like her.

I decided to grow my hair out and I braid it every day. It's still my most favorite hair style. I love a regular braid, the French braid and the anniversary braid.

Last but not least I officially and legally changed my name to Lara. That was always my dream and last year it finally came true.

TheLostSecret
25-03-18, 08:15
When I used to be a child , I thought the Lara Croft character is real and I always thought that there is only one woman in the world who can raid tombs , and that's Lara Croft . By that time , I even couldn't pronounce the word "Tomb Raider" ! .

When I got older , I realized that it's just a game character and that's all !
The new Lara Croft NO! ; But I loved the classic TR ! :D

Sayonel
26-03-18, 21:28
Lara had a huge impact on me as a child. She inspired me to be strong and independent, to go for something I want and to never hold back. I wanted to be just like her when I grew up, at one point I wanted to become an archeologist just like her (which didn't happen). Because of her, I have a love for antiques and have a bigger appreciation and interest in ancient cultures.

Honestly, I don't know what type of person I'd be today if my parents had never bought me TR2. Not only did Lara have a huge impact on me, Lara and TR are the reason I fell in love with gaming.

I also named my daughter after Lara. :3

JoelCaesar
27-03-18, 02:15
Even though I could never get passed "Caves" as a kid because I was too scared (lol) I fell in love with the franchise and find myself saying quotes from the games to others in real life without even noticing.

Yeah... she had a BIG impact.

TheLostSecret
30-03-18, 14:57
Even though I could never get passed "Caves" as a kid because I was too scared (lol) I fell in love with the franchise and find myself saying quotes from the games to others in real life without even noticing.

Yeah... she a BIG impact.

I was afraid of Tomb Raider 1 , the last level where you had to fight the Torso Boss ! I ALWAYS LOVE TO KILL LARA BY THE TORSO BOSS ! How cruel I am ! ... :D:D:D:D:D