PDA

View Full Version : PS3 at 500 euros ($615.00)?! I warned you all...

interstellardave
06-04-06, 04:21
Sony exec pegs PS3 at about 500 euros?

Vice president of Sony Computer Entertainment Europe says 500 euros (about $615) is expensive for a game console, but cheap for a Blu-ray player.

While Sony unveiled a number of its upcoming plans for the PlayStation 3 last month at the PlayStation Business Briefing (http://www.gamespot.com/news/6146007.html) and in its Game Developers Conference keynote address (http://www.gamespot.com/news/6146436.html), a few details are still conspicuously unannounced, most notably the price of the machine. It's been an increasingly hot topic of discussion since a February Merrill Lynch report (http://www.gamespot.com/news/6144600.html) pegged the manufacturing cost of the system at a whopping $900, but now Sony Computer Entertainment Europe vice president Georges Fornay has addressed the issue.
In an interview (http://www.europe1.fr/antenne/fiche_emission.jsp?id=1945#) with Europe 1 radio program Générations Europe 1 yesterday, Fornay was asked about speculation that the PS3 would retail for $500.
"If we take into account Blu-ray, HD video with drives priced at around 1,000 euros and above, [the PS3] will be a bargain," Fornay told Europe 1. "If we only look at the game function, it's true that consoles were usually priced under 500 euros. We will be at this price point ["nous serons dans cette fourchette," or price fork]. It will be expensive if we only look at the game aspect of the machine, but it will be very cheap if we account for the set of technologies that it will integrate."
Even if the PS3 does hit shelves for 500 euros, that doesn't necessarily mean American gamers will be paying upwards of $615 for the PS3 when it comes out. Price points vary between territories, and systems are frequently more expensive across the pond. For instance, the Xbox 360 core and premium packages launched for $299 and $399 in the US, and 299 euros (about $367) and 399 euros (about $491) in Europe.
Sony representatives did not immediately return requests for comment.
By Staff -- GameSpot (http://www.gamespot.com/) Posted Apr 5, 2006 1:26 pm PT
288 Comments (http://www.gamespot.com/news/6147148.html#last_msg) | http://img.gamespot.com/gamespot/b.gif Post a Comment (http://www.gamespot.com/pages/news/story.php?sid=6147148&page=14#signup)

Melonie Tomb Raider
06-04-06, 04:23
That's fine. I was willing to give $800 for it, this is a lot better. :vlol:

MattTR
06-04-06, 04:24
Hmm.. Just glad I've got my 360. If PS3 is $615 I would never get it, that's just ridiculous.

interstellardave
06-04-06, 04:25
I KEPT WARNING EVERYONE ABOUT THIS!

If they think they're getting $600+ out of me they're crazy... if they think they're getting even $500 out of me they'd better think again! It's the Blue Ray, like I said all along. Well, I may be waiting a while to buy it; waiting for price drops... maybe by then I'll know if Blue Ray is taking off or not as a movie platform. :rolleyes:

JACOBryanBURNS
06-04-06, 04:30
Psh. I'd just tell my grandparents it's the cheapest way their going to get the next way to view movies. they'll fork it over.

Melonie Tomb Raider
06-04-06, 04:35
I've been planning way ahead of time. Been job searching entirely for the PS3. I'll pay whatever it takes as long as it isn't as much as a car or something. :p

interstellardave
06-04-06, 04:40
I've been planning way ahead of time. Been job searching entirely for the PS3. I'll pay whatever it takes as long as it isn't as much as a car or something. :p

If I wanted I could have the money for this thing, but it's the principle to me. I'm paying for a game machine, not an all in one home system that can probably also--according to Sony--make me a cup of coffee! A home video game system shouldn't cost more than $400.00 IMO, no sucessful system ever has. They want people to commit to Blue Ray for movies and everything--sorry Sony, I've invested tons of money into DVD and it's way too early to commit to yet another format which may never get off the ground anyway!

JACOBryanBURNS
06-04-06, 04:47
Didn't sony try and format something similar in the past... a new way to watch movies? And basically it was a total flop? I remember something sony or someone did that was like that and it never took off.

StormHarvey
06-04-06, 04:48
I'll let the price go down before I buy it. It would be more expensive here because of the taxes..tsk tsk..But I MUST buy this. It's the only way I can play TR8..:jmp:

madderakka
06-04-06, 04:54
I will wait for the price to drop. That's ridiculously expensive

Olvidarse
06-04-06, 06:31
Sony exec pegs PS3 at about 500 euros?

Vice president of Sony Computer Entertainment Europe says 500 euros (about $615) is expensive for a game console, but cheap for a Blu-ray player.

I think the 500 number will hold the same for the US market, as the Xbox360 was both 399 Euros and 399 American dollars... Regardless, it says $500 in the article.

I'm not sure I'd pay $500 for the console, plus the $60 standard for games. What a waste. :o My days of button-smashing are over. :D

MiCkiZ88
06-04-06, 08:37
That's fine. I was willing to give $800 for it, this is a lot better. :vlol:
yeah me too :jmp: :jmp: 500€ for a machine like that isn't bad :jmp: :jmp:

larasfrend
06-04-06, 08:46
Holy crap what a waste. I'll consider myself lucky if I can get my parents to fork out 250 quid for a 360 for my next birthday. $500? Are they mad?

BTW- Will it be much better than the 360?

MiCkiZ88
06-04-06, 08:50
Holy crap what a waste. I'll consider myself lucky if I can get my parents to fork out 250 quid for a 360 for my next birthday. $500? Are they mad?

BTW- Will it be much better than the 360?
yep.. * don't shoot me * Try to get a pc with those specs :p

nomedo
06-04-06, 08:51
the north america price will never be the same as rest of the world. Europe/Asia always pay more to lower the price in NA.
Xbox360 NA=$399 EU=$490
PS3 will probably be NA=$499 EU=$599

jarhead
06-04-06, 09:00
how much is it in the UK then as it will be substantially less. :)

but it is a lot of money

Jack Croft
06-04-06, 09:11
Absurd!:mad:

MiCkiZ88
06-04-06, 09:13
the north america price will never be the same as rest of the world. Europe/Asia always pay more to lower the price in NA.
Xbox360 NA=$399 EU=$490
PS3 will probably be NA=$499 EU=$599
I've seen xbox 360 here 699€

Thorir
06-04-06, 09:18
Price is of no importance. :)

jarhead
06-04-06, 10:23
my brothers computer was bought especially for gaming and it costs well over a grand

interstellardave
06-04-06, 11:05
my brothers computer was bought especially for gaming and it costs well over a grand

Well, IMO, ANY console gives you better bang for the buck than a PC... it's always been that way. You can stay ahead of the consoles with PC's but it's really going to cost you. But comparing console to console, $500.00 to $600.00 is too much! No thanks, Sony. Come back to me with a GAME machine, get rid of the superfluous stuff!

BTW, wonder how much those Blue-Ray based games will cost???

RaidR_84
06-04-06, 11:33
It was the UMD they tried to get so popular. It didnt actually work. I have a few of them, and I just dont see the big deal, you get less options on them and its definitely not like DVD quality.

I dont think this is smart at all. Screw the Blu-Ray drive, add a DVD drive instead. That will cut costs. No one in their right mind is going to pay 615 dollars for a console that doesnt even have any games included.

MizzCroft007
06-04-06, 11:37
For that price it had better be better than that freaking xbox 360! Oh I don't have to worry I know it will be. =P Sony rules. I wish I could afford it right away but I'm probably going to wait a while sothe price drops a ltitle.

interstellardave
06-04-06, 11:41
It was the UMD they tried to get so popular. It didnt actually work. I have a few of them, and I just dont see the big deal, you get less options on them and its definitely not like DVD quality.

I dont think this is smart at all. Screw the Blu-Ray drive, add a DVD drive instead. That will cut costs. No one in their right mind is going to pay 615 dollars for a console that doesnt even have any games included.

Also, they lost to VHS (Sony had Betamax), then the Mini-disc flopped as well...

Night Crawler
06-04-06, 13:46
You get what you pay for. Quality costs.

YvesSL
06-04-06, 15:01
That's not much. I'm buying it.

Like Versace.

interstellardave
06-04-06, 15:09

It had better be all they say it is then; but even then they'll be facing shortages ('cause all system launches have them), a likely price-drop from MS, and 2nd generation 360 titles that will most-likely be indistinguishable from the PS3 launch titles quality-wise. All this will occur during the holidays too--and it doesn't look like Sony has a killer-app for launch time either--certainly MGS is way in the future!

Bear in mind--I can't stress this enough--I own all the consoles, and I want a PS3, but I just don't like how this looks to be going. I'm just not a fan of what they're doing right now. This probably will be a great system and maybe it'll be a lot better than the 360; but I'll be buying 360 games with my money until the PS3 price goes down to an acceptable (IMO) price.

ILG49ers
06-04-06, 15:12
I'm prepared to pay anywhere from $300-$800 for the PS3, so I’d be happy if that was the price.

illuminati30
06-04-06, 15:13
I need to convert this into £ before it will mean anything to me.

Lenochka
06-04-06, 15:14
i have seen its peformance on a couple videos and i think its WELL worth it...

illuminati30
06-04-06, 15:14
About £350. Does it come with a hard drive? What price will the games be?

*EDIT* Actually probably more like £400, its always more expensive here. Thats way more than i would pay for it.

interstellardave
06-04-06, 15:19
They're playing coy about whether the hard drive will be included--although they also said you'll have to have it to play games. Based on that I can't imagine it not having the hard drive pre-installed. You can expect to know more about pricing (and the actual quality of the system and games) at this years' E3. If it totally blows people away at E3--and puts the 360 to shame--then I'll say we have a winner!

DragonDan
06-04-06, 15:21
The whole thing is that this is new technology. The Blu-ray alone is running (OEM) about $300.00. This is the way of the future, being able to smash 25BG on a single layer DVD.

I doubt many of you will remember when VCR players came out. They were well over $1,000.00. Now, you can pick one up for $39.00 - and they have so much more than the older models.

Early adopters always pay the premium price.

And no, I am not going to get my parents to pay for it. I do want one, and am fully capable of picking up one myself. Your attitude rocks, Mel TR!

illuminati30
06-04-06, 15:27
how much is it in the UK then as it will be substantially less. :)

but it is a lot of money

Less in the UK :confused:

interstellardave
06-04-06, 15:35
Sonys' betamax was superior to VHS... tell me, what happened to it? Sony wants to sell us on Blue Ray as a format when the industry isn't even sure about it--the battle with HD-DVD is undecided. I'm sure some people were sold on UMD movies too... I wasn't, and now it's failing.

ace_85
06-04-06, 15:41
Sonys' betamax was superior to VHS... tell me, what happened to it? Sony wants to sell us on Blue Ray as a format when the industry isn't even sure about it--the battle with HD-DVD is undecided. I'm sure some people were sold on UMD movies too... I wasn't, and now it's failing.

That's true, but as far as the Blu-Ray vs. HD-DVD issue goes, the actual technology involved is only half the battle. The more crucial aspect - the one that usually makes or breaks a new video format - is support from the big Hollywood movie studios. Currently, Sony has the support of some important ones for Blu-Ray, MGM for example

interstellardave
06-04-06, 15:53
That's true, but as far as the Blu-Ray vs. HD-DVD issue goes, the actual technology involved is only half the battle. The more crucial aspect - the one that usually makes or breaks a new video format - is support from the big Hollywood movie studios. Currently, Sony has the support of some important ones for Blu-Ray, MGM for example

Price is also a deciding issue... the consumer is used to a $20.00 price-point (on average) for movies... they aren't going to pay $40.00, just for an example. And stand-alone Blue Ray players are starting at $1000.00!(yeah VHS was the same price back in the day--but at the time it was the only way to have in-home video--that had to count for a lot). No-matter how you cut it Blue Ray--even if ultimately sucessful--is going to take a long time to truly take off.

Capt. Murphy
06-04-06, 15:59
+ $600.O_o?

That sure would take a good hunk out of that mortgage payment/Credit Card bills. The only part of me that's interested is the APR. :pi:

Raydai
06-04-06, 16:00
Doesn't matter if the price is high (in my opinion is it normal for its hardware) so lang there are great games. PS2 has a large history of good games and so will the PS3. X360 has for me still no interesting games so long you can find similar on PC.

MiCkiZ88
06-04-06, 16:06
Doesn't matter if the price is high (in my opinion is it normal for its hardware) so lang there are great games. PS2 has a large history of good games and so will the PS3. X360 has for me still no interesting games so long you can find similar on PC.
yup ps has always the best games for me also :)

Raydai
06-04-06, 16:57
Prijsindicatie PlayStation 3 niet correct

Gisteren meldden we dat George Fornay, president van Sony Computer Entertainment Frankrijk, bekend heeft gemaakt dat de prijs van de PlayStation 3 tussen de 500 en 600 Euro zou liggen. Vandaag heeft Sony laten weten dat dit niet waar is. Het bericht is niet goed vertaald en is verkeerd geinterpreteerd. De prijs die Fornay noemde, was slechts een indicatie voor de prijs van de PlayStation 3 als Bluray Disc speler.

Volgens Nick Sharples van Sony is er nooit sprake geweest dat de PlayStation 3 deze prijs zou krijgen. Een prijs tussen de 500 en 600 Euro is volgens Sharples dan ook veel te hoog voor een spelcomputer, en al helemaal in vergelijking met de andere next-gen spelcomputers.

De kans is dus erg groot dat de PlayStation 3 minder dan 500 Euro gaat kosten. Een exacte prijs is nog steeds niet genoemd.

Translation:

Price indication PS3 is not correct.

Yesterday said George Fornay, president of Sony Computer Entertainment France, that the price of the PS3 will be between 500 and 600 Euro. Today said Sony that this isn't true. The message is not well translated en wrong interprented. De price what is been told by Fornay was just an indication for the price of the PS3 as an Bluray disc player.

According to Nick Sharples of Sony it was never mentioned that the PS3 will have this price. A price between $500 and $600 is to expensive for a gaming console and totally compared to other next gen consoles.

The chance is high that the PS3 will cost less then $500. The exact price is still not mentioned.

(sorry for my bad english :( )

Source: www.gammo.nl

interstellardave
06-04-06, 17:05
Yeah, I expected this... They carefully float a "trial balloon" to see where the wind is blowing and then come back and say this... just like the "controversy" regarding the Killzone 2 footage at E3. Still, I hope it winds up being true... the PS3 should be cheaper IMO, 'cause I don't care how much they lose per system--that's their problem--just so long as I can buy it and still have money for some games... and food. :cln:

illuminati30
06-04-06, 17:06
Yeah, I expected this... They carefully float a "trial balloon" to see where the wind is blowing and then come back and say this... just like the "controversy" regarding the Killzone 2 footage at E3. Still, I hope it winds up being true... the PS3 should be cheaper IMO, 'cause I don't care how much they lose per system--that's their problem--just so long as I can buy it and still have money for some games... and food. :cln:

Very sneaky of them!

Reggie
06-04-06, 17:11
I really hope I'll be able to get it some way... I need to play MGS4!!

Dingaling
06-04-06, 17:14
Dixons have it down as £300. Dixons is a high street retailer in the UK, I don't know about the rest of Europe or the world, sorry :) Of course, their price isn't official but just an estimate. But, a good price if true :)

Apofiss
06-04-06, 17:18
Price seems very acceptable for that kind of consule which is PS3 with BD-ROM. :)

larasfrend
06-04-06, 18:13
That's not much. I'm buying it.

Like Versace.
Like Versace? Versace is noo way good pricing. I paid like 200 euros (when I was in Italy) for a pair of V Jeans. The pocket is actually falling off! And yes, I am sure they're authentic, I got them in their boutique. Over priced crap. Did you know they sell women's tops for $1000? Believe me Versace is no where near good quality for your money. It's just about the style.

Angel666
06-04-06, 20:05
I'll wait for the official word from Sony before freaking out. 600+ is just stupid. Even if it's like, 300 dollars I'm gonna wait until the price goes down. I am also iffy about getting one of the first shipments because it usually takes a few tries before they get it right and I don't need the hassle of recall.

Osojojo
07-04-06, 00:06
If I sold my flute I could buy 12 PS3s :eek:
If I sold my mom's Louis Vuitton bag AND my flute I could buy 19 PS3s :yik:

Angel666
07-04-06, 00:15
That's one expensive flute. :yik:

Melonie Tomb Raider
07-04-06, 00:36
Price seems very acceptable for that kind of consule which is PS3 with BD-ROM. :)

I agree. Sony is already getting a loss with the price of the console sales. As technology advances, the pricetag does as well.

It's prefectly reasonable imo.

Cookin
07-04-06, 00:38
If you want the best and latest stuff you have to pay for it. Doesn't seem that dear to me.

Angel666
07-04-06, 01:12
Well, it seems dear to a fifteen year old with out a job.

illuminati30
07-04-06, 01:13
Well, it seems dear to a fifteen year old with out a job.

lol well said, and most people with jobs for that matter!

nomedo
07-04-06, 01:26

I agree. Sony is already getting a loss with the price of the console sales. As technology advances, the pricetag does as well.

It's prefectly reasonable imo.

i third that ^^,

oocladableeblah
07-04-06, 01:44
Sony said or someone that it was a misunderstanding. plus sony isnt that stupid that would be like them commiting suicide.:whi:

MaxPayne
07-04-06, 21:16
i will wait till summer 2007 or spring 2008

chloe
08-04-06, 00:11
Iam going to wait until sony themself say what price of ps3 is also sony say
the price is just a rumor do you guys really think sony going kill themself to
have ps3 so high then they be number in console wars also sony want
to complet with microsoft so not going have ps3 $500 t0 $700 bucks that
to for game system