PDA

View Full Version : April 10 National Day of Action for Immigrant Rights!

wantafanta
09-04-06, 23:39
I want to remind everyone that in the US, tomorrow, Monday April 10, will be a rally day for all those who support humane and reasonable treatment for immigrants, legal and otherwise. This subject is important to me because I teach English to many undocumented Mexican workers and I want to help them live better lives in America. I do it once a week as a volunteer. Many are my friends. Some have come here with children who are not legal citizens, but their little sisters and brothers who were born here are true US citizens. So you have some families of legal and illegal members! If you send the illegal ones out of the country, what do you do with the legal kids? Give them away to foster parents?
Many have been here 10 or 15 years and work hard. And yes, they DO PAY TAXES. 10% of the US Social Security surplus comes from the FICA taxes of illegal workers, who won't be collecting the benefits.
There are many companies in the US who CLOSE factories and move them to Mexico. There, they pay Mexican workers Mexican wages to do jobs that Americans used to do for much more. This cheats the Mexicans and the Americans. If illegals cannot work here, then jobs should not be sent to other countries.
One of my best friends has 3 kids who don't even have beds. The father works as a cook in an expensive Italian restaurant, sometimes more than 40 hours a week, but the owner pays no overtime and no raises. But still my friend cooks me a dinner once in a while when I visit. Most of the illegal Mexicans I know have a crucifix on the wall or a picture of Jesus.
If there is a rally or a march near your town, and you can attend, and if you care about this issue, then please attend. America must live up to its promise as a land of opportunity that owes its strength to the contributions and talents from those from all over the world.

xMiSsCrOfTx
09-04-06, 23:41
I never knew this was a National Day. I agree, I'd like to see more of the US with open arms towards immigrants. :tmb:

Spitfire
09-04-06, 23:54
its so funny when we say immigrants...the WHOLE US is a huge IMMIGRANT land

Lenochka
10-04-06, 00:07
its so funny when we say immigrants...the WHOLE US is a huge IMMIGRANT land
Indeed

Capt. Murphy
10-04-06, 02:02
I want to remind everyone that in the US, tomorrow, Monday April 10, will be a rally day for all those who support humane and reasonable treatment for immigrants, legal and otherwise. I'm all for HUMANE treatment of any HUMAN. I also thinks it's reasonable that law breakers are treated just as fairly as they have treated us and our laws.