PDA

View Full Version : Asteroid set for an EXTREMELY close encounter

tombraider123
02-07-06, 09:51
An asteroid possibly as large as a half-mile or more in diameter is rapidly approaching the Earth. There is no need for concern, for no collision is in the offing, but the space rock will make an exceptionally close approach to our planet early on Monday, July 3, passing just beyond the Moon's average distance from Earth.

Astronomers will attempt to get a more accurate assessment of the asteroid's size by “pinging” it with radar.

Source: Yahoo News.

Apparently it is coming as close as the moon. Which in space terms, is EXTREMELY close. But there is no need to worry as the Asteroid will NOT impact with the Earth!

Ampersand
02-07-06, 09:56
Thank goodness. :cln:

Though there is the possibility that one will hit us in about 30 years' time, isn't there? Could be a meteor, meterorite...either way, it's a whacking great piece of rock. :p

Alive_and_Funky
02-07-06, 09:58
But there is no need to worry as the Asteroid will NOT impact with the Earth!

Phew!

tombraider123
02-07-06, 10:05
Thank goodness. :cln:

Though there is the possibility that one will hit us in about 30 years' time, isn't there? Could be a meteor, meterorite...either way, it's a whacking great piece of rock. :p

There is supposed to be a 1 mile across one, set for a CLOSE encounter in like 2030. It will come within 3500 miles and will be visible from the ground. Again, it will not be a threat.

Ampersand
02-07-06, 10:09
There is supposed to be a 1 mile across one, set for a CLOSE encounter in like 2030. It will come within 3500 miles and will be visible from the ground. Again, it will not be a threat.

It might have been that one, but I read in the paper that I'd be pretty catastrophic. The chances of it impacting with earth are one out of several thousand, but scientists are still trying to work out how to knock it off course. :cln:

jarhead
02-07-06, 10:13
oh i would love to see the americans crazy ideas to knock a huge rock hurtling to each off course.

tombraider123
02-07-06, 10:13
It might have been that one, but I read in the paper that I'd be pretty catastrophic. The chances of it impacting with earth are one out of several thousand, but scientists are still trying to work out how to knock it off course. :cln:

Might be a different one. But, I have seen so many newspapers say how Asteroids will make an impact, in past years. They never did. Newspapers seem to get it wrong a lot of the time

Alive_and_Funky
02-07-06, 10:14
but scientists are still trying to work out how to knock it off course. :cln:

Two words: ROCKET LAUNCHERS!!!

Tomb of Legends
02-07-06, 10:15
Will we see this Rock (lol) from the ground in Australia! And what time! I so wanna see the world end! :vlol: Man Im so sick of all the 'WORLDS GONNA END!" crap thats going on. *rolls eyes*

So does anyone know about my answer?

jarhead
02-07-06, 10:19
:D wouldnt you love it if earth has an exceptiional gravitational pull and the rock is sweept into orbit around the earth, spinning around it like those gryroscopes

tombraider123
02-07-06, 10:20
Will we see this Rock (lol) from the ground in Australia! And what time! I so wanna see the world end! :vlol: Man Im so sick of all the 'WORLDS GONNA END!" crap thats going on. *rolls eyes*

So does anyone know about my answer?

I think it can only be seen from Europe and America. I researched it and thats what it said somewhere.

Ampersand
02-07-06, 10:23
oh i would love to see the americans crazy ideas to knock a huge rock hurtling to each off course.

The ideas include firing laser cannons from the moon, is that crazy enough? :D

jarhead
02-07-06, 10:27
oh i thought they were thinking about making an extra long stick to poke it out the way or a potective forcefield around the erath, but knowing Bush it'll be around the whiote house and the white house only

Alive_and_Funky
02-07-06, 10:28
The ideas include firing laser cannons from the moon, is that crazy enough? :D

Cool. But first they have to get the cannons on the moon.

Jacob x5
02-07-06, 10:38
:cln: