PDA

View Full Version : Are iPods really as bad as they say they are?

AnthonyShock1515
27-01-07, 17:39
My sister has bought me a black iPOD and I can't have it till my birthday (Feb15th).

I'm reely concerned coz I heard that they are supposed to be scratched and snapped really easily. I hate walking around with a scrathed phone.
Are they really that fragile.

Also I heard that apparently after you use it a few times the battery life is supposed to decrease.:(

And one more thing, what is it about them that makes them so expensive, is the playback very good quality or something

Mad Tony
27-01-07, 17:41
And one more thing, what is it about them that makes them so expensive, is the playback very good quality or something
I think it's because or the design, or maybe the fact that itunes is one of the biggest online music stores.

xMiSsCrOfTx
27-01-07, 17:52
Yeah, obviously they're going to get scratched if you're not careful. I always buy protective cases for mine, they come in really cute designs. :D I'm on my second iPod right now, first was like a 20GB white one, but that was a few years ago. Now I have the iPod Video, and for some reason, it froze last night and I had to 'reset' it. They're awesome, but there are just too many bugs and little problems with them. And their battery life kinda blows.

AnthonyShock1515
27-01-07, 17:56
I heard there's supposed to be controversy with the videopods.

I was gonna buy one when I'm 18 and I get access to my inheritance, but they will be ancient by then. But I can't imagine iPods getting any thinner or compact than they are already!

star girl
27-01-07, 17:58
1 - You can buy a metal cover for your iPod, or some other material. I've got a metal one and a plastic one, and they both work fine. Plus, the iPod is covered with those transparent stickers, and there are extra ones in the box too...

2 - The battery life is 14 hours (for nano), and surprisingly, the iPod can work a lot even when the battery is "red".

3 - I believe the touch pad technology, awesome headphones and so many more options (for example using it to store and view photos, and an external memory for other files) is what makes them expensive.

If you need any help, you know you're welcome to ask here :wve:

DMC
27-01-07, 18:01
You saw how evil they were in Scary Movie 4.Ahhaha,just kidding they're ok.

Angel_14
27-01-07, 18:01
2 - The battery life is 14 hours (for nano), and surprisingly, the iPod can work a lot even when the battery is "red".

Wow, 14 hours? That's a lot of (At least for me) :P

ILG49ers
27-01-07, 18:03
I have an iPod Nano and I'm really liking it! I haven't had any problems with it so far...

viper456
27-01-07, 18:06
i got a bright green ipod nano for xmas and i loves it :D so much so i bought it a matching green ipod sock to protect it haha

the battery is a huge improvement! i listen to it on and off for a few hours during the day , then i go to sleep listening to it, so its on all night as well and theres always battery left in the morning :)

the fact its made from metal/aluminimum like the ipod minis mean its not as eas to damage it :)

AnthonyShock1515
27-01-07, 18:32
Is it true its got games on it?

Fish.
27-01-07, 18:33
It's not bad, just expensive.

You can get a good 4gb RCA H100A at Walmart for $151.12.

xMiSsCrOfTx
27-01-07, 18:34
It's got 3 games on it, but you can buy more from the iTunes store. It comes with Solitaire (card game), Parachute (a little shooter game) and Brick, which is a knock off of Pong.

Apofiss
27-01-07, 18:48
iPods, these are baaad :D They (mostly) brake easily, get scratched, force you to make more expenses, uncomfortable and what not; more like a fashion toy or a pet you need to take care of... but when you get one it's not so bad afterall XD

Mary CF
27-01-07, 19:01
Battery life generally decreases with all rechargeable batteries after some point.

I'm getting the red 8GB iPod Nano. The great thing about the red one is that part of the proceeds go to charity.

I'm also getting an armband and a $50 iTunes store card :)

Unfortunately the red iPod Nano isn't sold in stores where I live, but at least I can get it engraved for free! I got my full name engraved onto mine.

If scratching is an issue, you could always opt for a skin (they come in packs of three, I think).

mau3genius
27-01-07, 19:03
Is it true its got games on it?

Yes, it has Brick, Parachute, Solitaire and Music Quiz (a Q.A game where you have to listen to the songs you have in different order and choose the correct name for each one :p)

Angelus
27-01-07, 19:09
No, iPods aren't bad. I've got a 30GB black iPod video, and it's fantastic. I've got films on there, TV shows, TR trailers and videos, photos, and 346 songs. And I haven't even used a quarter of the memory yet. They come with a cloth case, so you don't need to worry about scratching the screen. The screen itself is bright and colourful. The quality of music playback is fantastic, as well. I haven't had a problem with mine so far. The battery life is really good, as well. Even when the battery power is red, it will last for up to another 4-5 hours. :D

AnthonyShock1515
27-01-07, 19:31
I really like the sound of that red one Mary. I didnt know you can get our name engraved, I'll have to research on that!:)

As for the games it sounds good. Can you listen to your music whilst playing the games though?

My mother told me my sister has actually ordered the balck nano and and my sis told me that it wasn't in the catalogues! she must be trying to getmy hopes down then surprise me on my Bday:D

But as long as I have a temporary case included in the set, I won't be afraid to touch it till I bougth a case. But I wanna buy some bright cases anyways:D

Can you get orange covers?:confused: or red?

xMiSsCrOfTx
27-01-07, 19:34
Yes, it has Brick, Parachute, Solitaire and Music Quiz (a Q.A game where you have to listen to the songs you have in different order and choose the correct name for each one :p)

Ooh, I forgot all about Music Quiz. :D I'm so good at that one!

StUdEnT rAiDeR
27-01-07, 19:35
if the battery goes out ( it dosnt work no matter what) you can send it away and it comes back in like 2 weeks, my sisters one broke after about 1 year but apple have delt with the problem and she got a brand new one :).

Angelus
27-01-07, 19:39
Ooh, I forgot all about Music Quiz. :D I'm so good at that one!

Me too! I wonder why... :rolleyes:

AnthonyShock1515
27-01-07, 19:48
That music one seems a bit boring unless you have 1000's of tracks.

I don't even know how someone can have 1000 tracks on their MP3 player without having one that they hate so much that tehy don't want it on. Everytime I listen to my MP3 I always don't like listening to at least 1 song. And mine only has roughly 40 tracks:D

xMiSsCrOfTx
27-01-07, 20:13
I don't even know how someone can have 1000 tracks on their MP3 player without having one that they hate so much that tehy don't want it on.

Lol, I've got 6,741 and I love every single song on mine. :D

Angelus
27-01-07, 20:17
I've only got 346! :p

Lavinder
27-01-07, 20:54
That music one seems a bit boring unless you have 1000's of tracks.

I don't even know how someone can have 1000 tracks on their MP3 player without having one that they hate so much that tehy don't want it on. Everytime I listen to my MP3 I always don't like listening to at least 1 song. And mine only has roughly 40 tracks:D

I have 2254 songs on my computer and I love 98% of them :D

LaraCablara
27-01-07, 21:03
People who say they are bad, are the ones that dont have enough money and time to get them...which is often why I say..WHY DO YOU NEED ONE, GET A CHEAP MP3 PLAYER IT PLAYS MUSIC to my friends :(

When you think about it, it makes perfect sense ;)

Angelus
27-01-07, 21:24
People who say that are bad, are the ones that dont have enough money and time to get them...which is often why I say..WHY DO YOU NEED ONE, GET A CHEAP MP3 PLAYER IT PLAYS MUSIC to my friends :(

That didn't make any sense. :confused:

Lew
27-01-07, 22:32
I love iPods, I have a Video one and not many people have that they all have nanos and they think theres is better ha! Yeah right, I have more expensive taste I've been told...

taika
27-01-07, 22:37
if the battery goes out ( it dosnt work no matter what) you can send it away and it comes back in like 2 weeks, my sisters one broke after about 1 year but apple have delt with the problem and she got a brand new one :).
just remember apple will only deal with it if its under warranty.

viper456
27-01-07, 22:46
I love iPods, I have a Video one and not many people have that they all have nanos and they think theres is better ha! Yeah right, I have more expensive taste I've been told...

well la de daa lol :tea: im happy with my nano. I dont want to watch videos lol

Lost Angel 21
27-01-07, 22:58
They're not bad, just generally exspensive (to me, anyway). I've never had any problems with my Ipod (I have the old version of the shuffle) other than sometimes my bought songs will delete themselves-this happened to someone I know with her Ipod Mini too, if you use Itunes. There are other ways of downloading songs and putting them on your Ipod (My friend uses Limewire or Bearshare). Other than that, it's fine.

laralives
27-01-07, 22:59
FRAGILE!!!

I have/had a mini :cln:
Well i dropped it like 80 times and it was working fiine...
In those 80 times i dropped it THREE stories and it worked fine but then I was really mad so i threw it against the wall...and it hasn't worked for now...i am pretty sure it will work sometime later xD

:wve:

Mary CF
28-01-07, 00:00
I really like the sound of that red one Mary. I didnt know you can get our name engraved, I'll have to research on that!:)

As for the games it sounds good. Can you listen to your music whilst playing the games though?

My mother told me my sister has actually ordered the balck nano and and my sis told me that it wasn't in the catalogues! she must be trying to getmy hopes down then surprise me on my Bday:D

But as long as I have a temporary case included in the set, I won't be afraid to touch it till I bougth a case. But I wanna buy some bright cases anyways:D

Can you get orange covers?:confused: or red?

Actually you don't really need to research it! All you have to do is go to the apple website, and if you try to order one online somewhere on the page there's an option to get it engraved. You have two lines to work with, and a limited amount of text goes on each. It's pretty neat :)

If you look at the website, there is also a section somewhere on the left labelled "Cases". You'll find skins under that section. They do have a red one but unfortunately it comes in a three pack with pink and white as well.

The actual Nano itself doesn't come with a case.

AnthonyShock1515
28-01-07, 00:31
FRAGILE!!!

In those 80 times i dropped it THREE stories and it worked fine but then I was really mad so i threw it against the wall...and it hasn't worked for now...i am pretty sure it will work sometime later xD

Talk about used and abused.

Yours must have looked like a a knawed lamb bone!:cln:

AmericanAssassin
28-01-07, 00:33
I've always heard positive things about iPods.....

laralives
28-01-07, 01:27
Talk about used and abused.

Yours must have looked like a a knawed lamb bone!:cln:

Well what's the point of having one and not using it? ._.
And no xD it just has dents and little holes everywhere :o :p

Angel666
28-01-07, 02:01
They are not fragile at all! I've dropped my Nano on linolium hundreds of times and it still works fine. The battery life does go down faster if you switch songs alot and on the black one you can see the scratches very well. Just don't let the battery get too low or else it'll freeze up. And I'd get different headphones if I were you. The ones I have can't stay in my ears.

amitabha
28-01-07, 02:17
sometimes they freeze. It can be very annoying.

Olvidarse
28-01-07, 04:03
I'm on my sixth replacement... But the sixth one was the charm, and nothing relatively horrible has happened to it. I just had to replace the battery.

It freezes sometimes. This is especially annoying if you're listening to it through the car radio through iTrip. You have to wait until you reach a stoplight to reset it.

Tomb-Raider
28-01-07, 04:07
FRAGILE!!!

80 times?
I have a razor cellphone, its very slipery lol, i drop it like 80 times a dday

once it cracked and i got it replaced. Then it broke. i got another one. Then it cracked again. lol.

the hooliganz
28-01-07, 04:26
i think so, my cousin has an ipod, and before you charged it, you throw it first

Spitfire
28-01-07, 05:23
i had the iPod when it first came out, the big old clunky white one. It lasted 2 years, which is longer than i hear for most others who had one of the first generation models.

I got a new black ipod video, 80gig. The thing is freaking amazing, the battery is SO much longer! Videos are crisp and everything about it just feels better. I dropped it already :( a few times when i got out of my friends car and it slipped out of my pocket but man, looks like it got alot more durrable since the minis. I dropped it again off my bed and then off the kitchen counter. It's not bent, dented, or having problems running so i can't say i have any complaints. Mind you this is the biggest model out right now and the falls havent done anything to them :D

Mary CF
29-01-07, 17:23
Sweeeeeeet my iPod arrived today :)

I'm going out shortly, but as a precaution I'm not removing it from my room until I get my armband. I'm copying music to it RIGHT now. Hehe.

:D