PDA

View Full Version : Petition: RIAA

Geck-o-Lizard
28-01-07, 18:23
If you support the fight against the RIAA (Recording Industry Association of America), and you're a citizen of the US, here's a petition you may wish to sign. :)

http://www.eff.org/share/petition/

(If it doesn't load for you, wait a few minutes and try again; I think their server is under a bit of strain)

scion05
28-01-07, 18:30
Im from England lol, but what is it :yik:

laracroft2122
28-01-07, 18:32
Yeah, what have they done?

jarhead
28-01-07, 18:36
Arn't they the corporation that shut down music sites and anywhere where you can listen to/download music from??

Lara Croft!
28-01-07, 18:52
Really???Never heard of that!How come this petition is only for Americans...Doesn't it affect the rest of the world?

Geck-o-Lizard
28-01-07, 23:49
The RIAA is an American company, so the petition is going under American law. As it's being submitted to Congress and it's about a US company, non-US opinions aren't meant to be included in the issue. Of course it affects the rest of the world, but that's law for ya.

Arn't they the corporation that shut down music sites and anywhere where you can listen to/download music from??

That's not their sole purpose, but that's what they're most infamous for. The issue this petition is addressing though is their outrageous habit of suing the heck out of individuals caught downloading music illigitimately.

Kamrusepas
28-01-07, 23:51
What exactly is this about? What's the petition trying to accomplish? [the page won't load for me]

EDIT: Okay nevermind, I just tried again and it works now.

Geck-o-Lizard
28-01-07, 23:52
To The United States Congress:

We are the customers and former customers of the member labels of the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA). We love music and will gladly pay a fair price for it, but we are outraged by the RIAA's tactics in suing ordinary Americans for filesharing.

We condemn the RIAA's choice to force the family of a 12 year-old girl to forfeit $2,000 - money that could have gone to feed, clothe and educate this honor student. We stand with the retirees, parents, children and others who have been caught in the RIAA's line of fire.

We respect reasonable copyright law, but we strongly oppose copyright enforcement that comes at the expense of privacy, due process and fair application of the law.

We urge you, as our representatives in Congress, to stop this madness.

We oppose the recording industry's decision to attack the public, bankrupt its customers and offer false amnesty to those who would impugn themselves. We call instead for a real amnesty: the development of a legal alternative that preserves file-sharing technology while ensuring that artists are fairly compensated.

In signing this petition, we formally request that the Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF), as representatives of the public interest, be included in any upcoming hearings regarding the proper scope of copyright enforcement in the digital age.

We sincerely thank you for your time.

That's the statement on the site.

jarhead
29-01-07, 00:02
Another business effectivly scamming easy money from famalies using a fake facade ( I cant think of the word, I know there is one :hea: ).

I hope congress take note of the petition

JANKERSON
29-01-07, 05:04
The RIAA is an American company, so the petition is going under American law. As it's being submitted to Congress and it's about a US company, non-US opinions aren't meant to be included in the issue. Of course it affects the rest of the world, but that's law for ya.

That's not their sole purpose, but that's what they're most infamous for. The issue this petition is addressing though is their outrageous habit of suing the heck out of individuals caught downloading music illigitimately.

I am in the middle on this one because many downloaded music illegally for years using Napster and other illegal sources. They did in fact break the law, that is why they are winning the lawsuits.

It is no different than Pirated software, or going into a store and stealing.

But I will agree that RIAA is going too far in some things.

Lara Croft!
29-01-07, 16:47
Of course it affects the rest of the world, but that's law for ya.

Pfff....Some laws....:rolleyes:

Geck-o-Lizard
29-01-07, 17:18
I am in the middle on this one because many downloaded music illegally for years using Napster and other illegal sources. They did in fact break the law, that is why they are winning the lawsuits.

It is no different than Pirated software, or going into a store and stealing.

But I will agree that RIAA is going too far in some things.

Yeah I agree with you. People shouldn't be stealing music, but sueing small low-budget families for thousands of $'s is absolutely the wrong way to go about tackling the problem.

xcrushterx
29-01-07, 17:20
i thought we weren't allowed to advertise petitions:confused:

Anubis_AF
29-01-07, 17:29
Have you possibly seen the huge thread in AOD section about the AOD Continuation petition? ;)