PDA

View Full Version : Italy Bans Football After Policeman is Killed

Alive_and_Funky
03-02-07, 13:49
This shocked me quite a bit:

Football matches have been cancelled in Italy after a policeman was killed at a match in Sicily.
Italy's football bosses have called off this weekend's professional and amateur matches, as well as the national team's friendly against Romania on Wednesday.

The policeman died after being hit by an explosive when fighting broke out at a game between Catania and Palermo.

Football bosses said: "What we're witnessing has nothing to do with soccer, so Italian soccer is stopping."

The policeman's death followed violence between fans and officers at other games last Sunday.

There has not yet been any decision as to when Italian football matches will start being played again.

World Cup

Italian football has experienced many highs and lows in the past 12 months.

In July, the national team won the World Cup in Germany.

But just days later, Italian football was rocked by a scandal - when three of their biggest clubs were relegated from the country's top division after being found guilty of match-fixing.

Source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/cbbcnews

I don't think it's secret news that football matches spark violence every now and again, but I'm not sure whether matches have been cancelled due to it before. So, what are your thoughts on the matter? I don't think they'll ban football in Italy completely, and even if they did, I think that there would be many petitions and protests against it.
I don't entirely understand this quote: "What we're witnessing has nothing to do with soccer, so Italian soccer is stopping." Are they saying that the violence is nothing to do with soccer so they're stopping the sport? I don't really see the quote reflects the decision, but I understand the decision which has been made.
It's a shame that some people take the sport this seriously. Whatever happened to just watching and enjoying the game? There's no need to cause violence.

Laras Backpack
03-02-07, 13:55
They could never ban football in Italy :D There'd be a riot. I was in Sicily last summer and saw the celebrations after they won the World Cup. They went on all night driving around the piazas and letting off fireworks. It was mostly just good fun.
But it's a shame that some people ruin sports by taking them too seriously and or use them as an arena for their own violence!

Lara Croft!
03-02-07, 14:00
They could never ban football in Italy :D There'd be a riot.

Exactly.I'm sure it's only a temporary thing!
Terrible news about that poor policeman...

Mona Sax
03-02-07, 14:01
Yeah, I agree they'd never ban it completely. However, I think a break is a good idea, it might make some people think. It's sad for the peaceful fans, but extreme measures are the only ones hooligans who abuse the sport will listen to. At least I hope so. :rolleyes:

interstellardave
03-02-07, 14:37
"hit by an explosive"! :eek:

This is ridiculous... I can't believe they don't have stricter security at these events, in light of possible terrorism on top of the already long history of violence at soccer matches. You can't prevent a fight from breaking out, maybe, but I think you can make sure people don't bring explosives in!

Psyched
03-02-07, 16:46
For crying out loud, they have the cheek to wonder why they were tipped to be the dirtiest team in the World Cup 2006? Granted, their performance there was clean but that was clearly an irregularity. Last season the leagues were thrown into total disarray after match-fixing scandals, now this happens...

The authorities really need to sort such crap out once and for all over there. They can't ban it forever, and that would be completely the wrong course of action to take. The laws need to be tightened regarding antisocial behaviour and football conduct in general. Nothing against the Italians, but it's hardly like anywhere else in the world has such problems with the sport (except maybe Colombia, where players get murdered for not performing well at major competitions...)

Elysia
03-02-07, 16:52
It's about bloody time. I get so furious about football - so much money pumped into something that causes a ridiculous amount of violence that could be much better spent elsewhere. If it was anything else, it would have been banned a long time ago...

Of course this won't be a permanent ban - there's no cash in that - but maybe it'll send a message out that football isn't as untouchable as the people involved would like to think it is.

Ada the Mental
03-02-07, 17:05
They could never ban football in Italy :D There'd be a riot.

Exactly!Ban football?In Italy?No way.
Financially speaking it'd be a huge no-no.The crazy football fans are another case.
:pi:You should see what happens with football violence in Greece.If you seek for an easy way to commit suicide becoming a football referee is always a good idea.Or dress up in the colours of you favourite team(Panathinaikos!:yah:) and sit in the middle of opposite team's side.

Geck-o-Lizard
03-02-07, 17:05
Nothing against the Italians, but it's hardly like anywhere else in the world has such problems with the sport

Oh come on! Brits are some of the world's most notorious football hooligans. More than one person has died due to football-related violence caused by & involving Brits. I personally wouldn't be sad if the sport was stopped here too, but that's definitely not gonna happen.

Psyched
03-02-07, 17:48
Maybe so, but not since the seats were introduced as compulsory. Chavs are a massive problem - but we don't have match-fixing scandals and people dying - nor explosives carried into grounds by the crowds. I won't condemn other nations' hooliganism any more than our own. Football's almost good in some cases; at least it keeps them off the streets and their obnoxious screaming is their only viable aggressive medium - thus, it's less of a problem. Not to mention the recent coin-throwing perpetrators have been brought to justice.

Geck-o-Lizard
03-02-07, 17:50
You know in Glasgow, every year Rangers and Celtic "supporters" STILL get in the news for killing each other? The most famous example is a kid who was with some friends walking home after a match, wearing their Celtic shirts, and they passed through a Rangers area. A guy ran out a pub they passed and slit the kid's throat.

Psyched
03-02-07, 17:52
Actually, no, I didn't. :(

Hell, that's terrible. I wasn't aware the problem extended above the border so.

danitiwa
03-02-07, 18:48
Aye, aye, aye the world is a sick place. :mad:

CerebralAssassin
03-02-07, 22:10
Exactly!Ban football?In Italy?No way.
Financially speaking it'd be a huge no-no.The crazy football fans are another case.
:pi:You should see what happens with football violence in Greece.If you seek for an easy way to commit suicide becoming a football referee is always a good idea.Or dress up in the colours of you favourite team(Panathinaikos!:yah:) and sit in the middle of opposite team's side.

you're Panathinaikos??:pi:

go Olympiakara lol!!...and yes,I know about the violence there :pi:

as for Italy,I'm shocked...:yik:

Shaun,you said 3 teams got banned from Serie A?oh uh..*hopes Juventus isn't one of 'em*:p

Psyched
03-02-07, 22:14
Juventus was hit the hardest, if I recall. They definitely got knocked down a league (or two).

Edit: Indeed, they were relegated and then docked 30 points from this current season, which will pretty much guarantee they stay in Serie B for the time being. They're also out of the Champions League for this season (a position they gained by their league ranking last season), and furthermore, they were stripped of the 2005 & 2006 titles. The points dock has been reduced to 9 points by now, though, so there is a silver lining.

Ada the Mental
03-02-07, 23:12
you're Panathinaikos??:pi:

Yes!Got a problem with that?:ton: :p

CerebralAssassin
04-02-07, 23:19
Juventus was hit the hardest, if I recall. They definitely got knocked down a league (or two).

Edit: Indeed, they were relegated and then docked 30 points from this current season, which will pretty much guarantee they stay in Serie B for the time being. They're also out of the Champions League for this season (a position they gained by their league ranking last season), and furthermore, they were stripped of the 2005 & 2006 titles. The points dock has been reduced to 9 points by now, though, so there is a silver lining.

oh yeah...I just confirmed it as well...what a shame..they're my fav Italian team.Apparently 6 of their superstars left due to this mess as well..(Cannavaro,Thuram,Zambrota,Emerson..:( ).oh well,at least Del Piero stayed!:p