www.tombraiderforums.com

www.tombraiderforums.com (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/index.php)
-   Video-Games, Consoles and Related Discussions (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   General Final Fantasy Thread (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=86691)

Minty Mouth 20-04-09 14:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by b0bb13 (Post 3604712)
Go,go Minty!
https://skunkforums.org/skunkforums/...lies/cheer.gif

The thing that I like the most about X-2 is the storyline.While they don't really concentrate that much on it,since there are so many side-quests,there are some really emotional parts.I really have to finish it,even if I'll get the crapzors normal ending. :(
And it's nice to see what happens after FFX.Also the music is awesome.:D

Yes Yes! How could I have forgotten about that! :) I love the music :tmb:

Saphyre 20-04-09 14:21

I hated the music with a passion. But I really did enjoy the game itself. I had lots of fun and I played it for months, even after i had completed it.

But I can see Riv's POV too. The game isn't as gender neutral as all the other Final Fantasies, and no one can deny that really. The dancing, the pop concerts, the pink and sparkly etc.

On a side note, the story and dialogue starts out VERY cheesy (but so is 10's dialogue to an extent.)

But, and this is a big But, when you get to around Chapter 3, it really becomes more mature and more your typical Final Fantasy. It is then you can enjoy the environments, the gameplay and even the characters to their fullest! Its almost as if the game reaches a turning point story wise, and then the cheesyness, and the overly girly atmosphere tones down. You get to see the darkest secrets of the crimson squad, you get the 'end of the world' atmosphere creeping in, and not to forget the creepy bit under bevelle (where you have to go down all the floors and you eventually have to defeat Tremor, one of the hardest bosses ever I think)

I suggest to Riv, to give it a further shot until around chapter 3/4 time. To some that may be too far along for the game to 'turn around' and it should have done so earlier, but to me it was perfect pacing.

But I, will and always will be a FFVII guy. Even if i played X and X-2 before it.

Tomb Raider 5194 20-04-09 15:20

I really liked FFX-2 though it was pretty girly. I appreciated Yuna's change even though it was pretty much drastic and opposite of how she was in FFX. During the game you (well I at least :p) got the feeling that she grew, same as in FFX as well.

Dustie 20-04-09 19:33

I just found out the demo for XIII is out and after looking at some gameplay footage, it's hard not to recall comments from some 3 years back, when people couldn't believe the CG-like graphics presenting on the screens would indeed be the in-game graphics. And now it's actually happening.

This has to be the game I could consider buying XBox360 for, becouse of the console's low price, but it's probably better to wait until I can get a PS3...

*laralover* 20-04-09 21:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tony9595 (Post 3604660)
I know, I just meant that he is quite bad, you know what happened to Leo, and well... to everyone... thatīs why I hate kefka, because he is the best villain in the series (FOR ME).

If I should list my Top 5 Villains on Final Fantasy...

1.-Kefka
2.-Kuja
3.-Golbez
4.-Sexyroth
5.-Galdes

Yeah! He does tick me off too but that makes him a great villain hes my favourite villain too :D Mines would probably be Kefka/Kuja/Sephiroth Well those 3 i like alot :p

As for FFX-2 i agree with Riv i can see why some people would hate the game...When i first got it i was dissapointed to be honest but then after playing it found it really fun and i love the dresspheres coming back from a previous FF :hug: Yes it was pretty girly/cheesy the music wasnt as good as X and the game was generally all fun and games and easy. The thing i loved most was the story though it was as good as FFX well the characters and cutscenes and quite a few moments made me upset for Yuna :o The ending,the dream and Thunder Plains song come to my mind. The game is still near the bottom of my list but its not the worst Final Fantasy for me...FF12 is. Maybe if FFX wasnt my second favourite FF i might have hated FFX-2 who knows? :confused:

Elessar87 20-04-09 22:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rivendell (Post 3604681)
Minty Mouth, cheers, you've just encouraged me to put the game in my pile of "return to the shop for money" games. :D :p

It's one of the most blatantly-geared-towards-girls games I've ever played, and I really didn't enjoy it. Combat rocked, it was fast paced and brutal, but the characters, the tone, the stupid level-up-and-swap-dresses (dresses, FGS) system makes me wonder why I didn't consider taking it back in the first place. :confused:

I'll have to find it first anyway. Probably won't get too much for it, but older games never trade for much nowadays. :(

Still, I'd rather have a few quid to go towards another game, than keep hold of it.

Oh, ouch. But yes, I have to agree. The game is for sure aimed at girls and hyper-cutsiefied (not a word, I know) so as to seem more appealing to a female audience. Which, as a female, I can't help but find offensive. What, if it's not pink and sparkly I'm not going to play it? :rolleyes: Anyway, mini-rant over. I personally couldn't stomach the game long enough to get to the so-called "good part", so I can't really judge the game as a whole. But even disregarding the beginning, having to deal with that ridculous dress-up bit whenever you fight something is enough to kill any desire I might have to play this game. Seriously, what is that? Are they all physically unable to fight anything until they are wearing the most ridculous outfits available? In any other game that idea would not have flown. Picture it, if you can, in our own beloved TR: Lara's epic final encounter w/ super-biotch Natla:

Natla: Whahahaha, now I shall finally destroy the world! Whahaha! Seventh age! etc.
Lara: OMG, like, hold on a sec, Natla, I like totally can't fight you in this outfit. It's like, SOOO last season. Oh, wait, I have the perfect thing! *whips out mascot outfit* (muffled voice): Alrighty then! Like, prepare to die Natla!

Oh the horror....

Yunaīs Wish 20-04-09 22:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Minty Mouth (Post 3604535)
People immediately dismiss it because of the fact that a) All playable characters are girls, b) because of the dressphere system and c) because the plot is more light hearted than the other FF games (and if youve played to at least half way through, youll know that that isnt true at all.)

The combat is the best I have experienced in a RPG in my life, and the simple yet vastly improved ATB system is the perfect balance between action and strategy. Not to mention that there are so many combinations of dresses and abilities that it is actually quite daunting. Aside fom all that, the battles in X-2 are just plain fun, you can personalise it however you want, and that can never be bad. I actually spent most of the time looking forward to the next battle.

Its actually hard to express how much replayability this game warrants, but there is a lot there. Having multiple endings, a ridiculous mount of sidequests and optional bosses, and having the opportunity to go a completely different way in the vein of levelling up your characters, I have played through this game a ridiculous anount of times.

As for the plot, it is quite merry at first, but it really is quite emotional and 'world endangering' when you hit the half way/three quarter mark. So I dont see this as a problem

I agree with you Minty :tmb: I donīt consider FFX-2 to be the best RPG ever, but it does bring a pleasant fresh air whenever I play it.

And come on people. The game is not that girly. I donīt recall hearing "OMG, like, hold on, OMG" ever in the game. There is a lot of strong and well put dialogue through the game...most positively emotional and connected to the afterlife and its meaning.

Elessar87 20-04-09 23:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yunaīs Wish (Post 3605744)
I agree with you Minty :tmb: I donīt consider FFX-2 to be the best RPG ever, but it does bring a pleasant fresh air whenever I play it.

And come on people. The game is not that girly. I donīt recall hearing "OMG, like, hold on, OMG" ever in the game. There is a lot of strong and well put dialogue through the game...most positively emotional and connected to the afterlife and its meaning.

I know. I was exaggerating. Yuna and the others do get some good dialogue from cutscenes that I've seen, but that dress-sphere business is REALLY hard to stomach for a lot of people, myself included. FFX was one of the best, most emotionally impacting games ever and it would have been awesome if we could have had a sequel that deals w/ the same themes of the meaning of life, the importance of hope etc. And FFX-2 does that to some extent. But the overall feel of the game is just "upbeat". The looming sense of danger (the knowledge that things are going to end tragically) in FFX is not there in X-2. Which is disappionting. Granted, I haven't played the entire thing so I can't really say. One day I will suck it up and play it through. Who knows, maybe one day I'll grow to like it. I'm at least willing to give it another chance due to all the positive comments I hear about the story. Which is a start.

b0bb13 21-04-09 00:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elessar87 (Post 3605771)
But the overall feel of the game is just "upbeat". The looming sense of danger (the knowledge that things are going to end tragically) in FFX is not there in X-2. Which is disappionting.

Well,duh!FFX Spoiler:Sin is dead and the eternal calm is here,people are finally living their lives properly,and that's what X-2 is about,imo.Seeing what happens after you save the world.:)
But don't worry,there is a sense of danger,just that it's not as big and important(well it is pretty important,but it's kept secret,so there's no panic)as in X.While the game is mostly fun and jokes,there are some really sad moments.Also,the dressphere system is the same as the jobs from older FF's(don't know which ones,since I haven't played them).And imo it's a great system.There are lots of dresspheres and lots of garment grids.Even though I haven't experimented with them,I'm sure I will after I finish the game and start a new one,where I hope I will get the perfect ending. :D

I just played some this evening.So much fun.I'm kinda sad that I didn't do all the other side quests,now I'm on the last chapter and I only have 5 left and I have to level up some more. xD
(thank God they invented the lure bracelet:p)

Elessar87 21-04-09 02:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by b0bb13 (Post 3605859)
Well,duh! (spoiler removed)
But don't worry,there is a sense of danger,just that it's not as big and important(well it is pretty important,but it's kept secret,so there's no panic)as in X.While the game is mostly fun and jokes,there are some really sad moments.Also,the dressphere system is the same as the jobs from older FF's(don't know which ones,since I haven't played them).And imo it's a great system.There are lots of dresspheres and lots of garment grids.Even though I haven't experimented with them,I'm sure I will after I finish the game and start a new one,where I hope I will get the perfect ending. :D

Yeah, I get that, but still, I just like FFX so much better. It was so much more epic, so much more emotional, had super badass Auron in it (LOVE him! They really should give him his own game.) the combat system was awesome (no "jobs", no dressing up, just classic turn-based goodness). I can't say enough about how fantastic that game is. And then to have X-2 as the follow up? Just seems like a MAJOR letdown to me. But then again, that's just me. Everyone's entitled to their own opinion.