Tomb Raider Forums

Tomb Raider Forums (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/index.php)
-   Tomb Raider The Angel of Darkness (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Flashback Photo (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=222915)

Ruu11 05-06-19 08:04

Flashback Photo

I was thinking about this the other day...

[IMG]https://i.postimg.cc/ZnfnLvYq/tumblr-obpsikwy-Uj1uz9zh9o1-500.jpg[/IMG]

Does this picture has actually any sense? When it was taken??
I guess it's was supossed to set time when Lara was young TR4, but the fact that she's looking exactly like in AoD confuses me.

Maverin 05-06-19 09:22

[QUOTE=Ruu11;8096316]I was thinking about this the other day...

[I][COLOR="Green"]see picture in O.P.[/COLOR][/I]

I guess it's was supossed to set time when Lara was young TR4, but the fact that she's looking exactly like in AoD confuses me.[/QUOTE]

I don't think it's supposed to represent young Lara, but rather a random picture taken after they reconciled their friendship. The line "you walked away and left me in Egypt" in the beginning of the story has been confusing fans forever because we all know that wasn't true.

disapearing-boy 05-06-19 10:01

The artefact their holding doesn't look Egyptian at all - to me it looks South East Asian in origin - which makes me think of Cambodia?:confused:

The desert background doesn't make sense here.

Samz 05-06-19 14:43

Core probably didn't think too hard honestly.

If I had to guess, it has to be before TR4.

Probably before the VCI section in Chronicles because there is no way they would have been civil enough to pose for a photo together after that.

Its kinda a shame Von Croy's relationship with Lara is a complete mess, I think it has potential since he's treated more as an equal to Lara than her sole motivation, unlike some figures in the later games.

If we're trying to make it fit, I'd say before VCI on some dig they ended up working together coincidentally on and at least didn't hate each other back then to object to both of them being in a photo for the dig.

Ruu11 05-06-19 15:43

[QUOTE=Samz;8096395]Core probably didn't think too hard honestly.[/QUOTE]

^ I was thinking the same tbh, but well... who knows :ponder:

Profc 05-06-19 16:52

We discussed the photo before. It makes no sense. I played AOD first then played Last Revelation and Chronicles. Nothing about Werner made sense ever since. They changed Jean Yves to Werner, that's all there is. I don't think Werner was ever going to play a part in the AOD trilogy. I also agree that the artifacts looks Asian.

Werner was this super rich person living in a skyscraper.

Putai 05-06-19 19:28

Werner and Lara might have reconciled after the Cambodian incident and work together in some researches and projects before going rivals again concerning the Iris (TR5) and Amulet of Horus (TR4). It's not impossible, people change throughout the years. And the kind memories Lara has of Werner while remembering him in TRAOD (she calls him "my friend", "my good friend" or even "he didn't deserve to die like that" even if she "could never forgive him for Egypt" as noted in the deleted audio, proves that this reconciliation happened at some point and that's where the photo comes from.

annacroft 05-06-19 21:10

My two cents here is that Core wanted to keep with the current character model they had of Lara at that time and didn't think too much of it (as someone else mentioned) and just did that. It never bothered me too much until now as I realise how little sense it makes :confused::o

TRExpertgamer 06-07-19 07:08

[QUOTE=Ruu11;8096316]I was thinking about this the other day...

I guess it's was supossed to set time when Lara was young TR4, but the fact that she's looking exactly like in AoD confuses me.[/QUOTE]

This picture with Lara Croft looks like a render from Tomb Raider the prophecy. Do you believe that?

red_lion 06-07-19 08:02

The image in the shield (a man holding a sword in his hand and something in his other hand) reminds me of a playing card: the king of hearts.

[url]https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/05/King_of_Hearts_Ruen_pattern_comparison.jpg[/url]

But I think they put an image of a stele and turn it into this. What kind, I dunno.

BrokenMirror 06-07-19 15:27

Probably will all the rushed things across the AOD, the Eidos timing and all that, they (Core) didn't even think about to work that part of the segment properly... Just think about it, the Putai movie that was "erased" from the game... other levels that could give more information.

I don't know, just a guess :)

Caesum 06-07-19 15:44

A different team was working on the cutscenes as far as I recall, so they were not rushed as much as the rest of the game. Still though I believe the picture was just there to show new players that Werner and Lara knew each other. They probably never gave much of a thought about the picture itself, just quickly made it to make it look like they were friends.

Kapu 06-07-19 15:55

It would make perfect sense if it were a picture of Lara and Jean Yves...since Lara and Jean [I]were [/I]good friends after all, and neither one of them stole from or tried to kill the other one.

Nah, it's yet another example of retconning in the original TR timeline. Core was infamously good at it (I get it, they didn't think people would pay attention or care - which, of course, was dead wrong. :vlol:).
The picture exists only to say "look, they used to be friends; isn't it sad that he's dead now?" - even though we literally never saw Lara and Werner as friends/colleagues in any TR game. He briefly mentored her, then they became rivals. There is seemingly no period in that timeline when they could have worked together and had this picture taken.

Let's recap:
[LIST=1][*][B]Von Croy brings teenage Lara to Cambodia on a tour. Tour ends badly after Lara and Von Croy get in a fight, and VC is injured. [/B]
Presumably, Lara sends someone to help VC. But who knows, there's really no implication one way or the other. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Maybe she said "deuces" and left him to get out by himself, and that's why the two are so salty in every subsequent interaction. We don't know.
[*][B]Lara steals the Iris from Von Croy[/B]
When VC realizes the intruder is Lara, his colleague says "your past comes back to haunt you once more." So uh, not a jolly recollection. Implies that Lara and VC have not been friendly since the Cambodia outing.
[*][B]Lara and Von Croy go head-to-head in Egypt[/B]
Lara references their past when she ask him if it's his leg "causing the resentment." Nothing rosy there. VC goes full evil god, kidnaps her friend, but has an uncharacteristic change of heart at the end of the game when he tries to save her from the collapsing pyramid.
[*][B]Von Croy attempts to recover Lara (or her remains) from the collapsed pyramid[/B]
VC has completely flipped at this point and is 100% team Lara. We assume he feels guilty/responsible for what happened (?), even though he and Lara have a history of exclusively being assholes to each other. So maybe it's less [I]guilt/responsibility[/I] and more [I]I'm-the-better-person[/I] complex.
[*][B]Lara escapes the pyramid without Von Croy's help, he asks her to come visit[/b]
VC hounds Lara to come visit him. She ignores him for a long time before finally caving.
[*][B]Von Croy is murdered in the middle of his and Lara's visit, Lara spends most of AoD looking for his killer[/b]
They're back to being assholes to each other during their meeting, which is historically accurate for these two, until VC gets killed and Lara starts referring to him as "my good friend" to everyone. Maybe this is HER version of the [I]I'm-the-better-person[/I] complex(!)?[/LIST]Tried to keep the list canonical (besides my comments). So where can this picture event fit in? Pretty much no where, but if you had to in the least retconny way possible, I'd say right after event #1. Let's say Lara helped VC get out of the Iris. He hurt his leg but was mostly OK. This picture was taken right after the expedition at an [I]incredibly [/I]sandy beach in Cambodia. Lara has on the wrong outfit but oh well.

Honestly though, I think the picture can only be taken at face value. It didn't really happen, it's only to illustrate Lara and VC's prior relationship, as Caesum said.

TRExpertgamer 06-07-19 16:00

[QUOTE=Caesum;8107284]A different team was working on the cutscenes as far as I recall, so they were not rushed as much as the rest of the game. Still though I believe the picture was just there to show new players that Werner and Lara knew each other. They probably never gave much of a thought about the picture itself, just quickly made it to make it look like they were friends.[/QUOTE]

Which they certainly should've gave a thought about this picture but other than that, I really don't seem to care about how the sequence would get applied for AOD as a fan!! :D :cool:

[QUOTE=Kapu;8107287]It would make perfect sense if it were a picture of Lara and Jean Yves...since Lara and Jean [I]were [/I]good friends after all, and neither one of them stole from or tried to kill the other one.

Nah, it's yet another example of retconning in the original TR timeline. Core was infamously good at it (I get it, they didn't think people would pay attention or care - which, of course, was dead wrong. :vlol:).
The picture exists only to say "look, they used to be friends; isn't it sad that he's dead now?" - even though we literally never saw Lara and Werner as friends/colleagues in any TR game. He briefly mentored her, then they became rivals. There is seemingly no period in that timeline when they could have worked together and had this picture taken.

Let's recap:
[LIST=1][*][B]Von Croy brings teenage Lara to Cambodia on a tour. Tour ends badly after Lara and Von Croy get in a fight, and VC is injured. [/B]
Presumably, Lara sends someone to help VC. But who knows, there's really no implication one way or the other. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Maybe she said "deuces" and left him to get out by himself, and that's why the two are so salty in every subsequent interaction. We don't know.
When VC realizes the intruder is Lara, his colleague says "your past comes back to haunt you once more." So uh, not a jolly recollection. Implies that Lara and VC have not been friendly since the Cambodia outing.
Lara references their past when she ask him if it's his leg "causing the resentment." Nothing rosy there. VC goes full evil god, kidnaps her friend, but has an uncharacteristic change of heart at the end of the game when he tries to save her from the collapsing pyramid.
[*][B]Von Croy attempts to recover Lara (or her remains) from the collapsed pyramid[/B]
VC has completely flipped at this point and is 100% team Lara. We assume he feels guilty/responsible for what happened (?), even though he and Lara have a history of exclusively being assholes to each other. So maybe it's less [I]guilt/responsibility[/I] and more [I]I'm-the-better-person[/I] complex.
[*][B]Lara escapes the pyramid without Von Croy's help, he asks her to come visit[/b]
VC hounds Lara to come visit him. She ignores him for a long time before finally caving.
[*][B]Von Croy is murdered in the middle of his and Lara's visit, Lara spends most of AoD looking for his killer[/b]
They're back to being assholes to each other during their meeting, which is historically accurate for these two, until VC gets killed and Lara starts referring to him as "my good friend" to everyone. Maybe this is HER version of the [I]I'm-the-better-person[/I] complex(!)?[/LIST]Tried to keep the list canonical (besides my comments). So where can this picture event fit in? Pretty much no where, but if you had to in the least retconny way possible, I'd say right after event #1. Let's say Lara helped VC get out of the Iris. He hurt his leg but was mostly OK. This picture was taken right after the expedition at an [I]incredibly [/I]sandy beach in Cambodia. Lara has on the wrong outfit but oh well.

Honestly though, I think the picture can only be taken at face value. It didn't really happen, it's only to illustrate Lara and VC's prior relationship, as Caesum said.[/QUOTE]

Now out of everything what you said in your post, sounds very much like they were probably getting themselves into so much fights against each other from TR4 to begin with. And I very much do see that Lara represents a sign of intuitive by telling Morgot Cavier & Karel that Werner was a great friend to her!! :vlol: by the way, I always have myself the strongest desire to see so much that how very over-ambitious that Core Design have felt so much to finish developing the rest of the AOD trilogy. But unfortunately, it couldn't happen as the screen have went all black right after Eidos was certainly the one who didn't really ANY REASON to ever rush AOD right out of Core Design's door to begin with as that was all of a Hell of a disgrace as always!! And I certainly am very extremely confident that Eidos Interactive will always regret for what they did with AOD every single day. Eidos was really the 1 & only publisher who've highlighted so much as a pure total failure by never realizing that within the early 2000's was certainly the time for them to slow down more with that periodic of time obviously!!

Reggie 06-07-19 18:28

Jean Yves body/outfit with Von Croy's head.

[url]https://tombraider.fandom.com/wiki/Jean-Yves[/url]

Samz 06-07-19 19:23

[QUOTE=Kapu;8107287]It would make perfect sense if it were a picture of Lara and Jean Yves...since Lara and Jean [I]were [/I]good friends after all, and neither one of them stole from or tried to kill the other one.

Let's recap:

Honestly though, I think the picture can only be taken at face value. It didn't really happen, it's only to illustrate Lara and VC's prior relationship, as Caesum said.[/QUOTE]

I think her "good friend" stuff in AOD is possibly partly out of guilt, she clearly seems to at least somewhat regret her last interaction with him being a fight.

If I had to throw a bone, I'd guess before VCI as well, they happened to end up on some dig together and either they didn't completely hate each other at the time or put it aside for a photo.

MBog 06-07-19 21:13

Maybe between Cambodia and VCI they were merely "friendly" competition to each other, and then by stealing the Irirs Lara broke their relationship for the sake of the artifact. After all, what would Lara choose, the Irirs or a friendship ? :p

Samz 06-07-19 21:30

[QUOTE=MBog;8107345]Maybe between Cambodia and VCI they were merely "friendly" competition to each other, and then by stealing the Irirs Lara broke their relationship for the sake of the artifact. After all, what would Lara choose, the Irirs or a friendship ? :p[/QUOTE]

I'd like to imagine a few more things happened in-between.

Even assuming they absolutely hated each other after Cambodia, Lara would probably have needed some sort of further problem with Von Croy to consider breaking into VCI with lethal intent.

TRExpertgamer 07-07-19 18:52

[QUOTE=Samz;8107331]I think her "good friend" stuff in AOD is possibly partly out of guilt, she clearly seems to at least somewhat regret her last interaction with him being a fight.

[QUOTE=MBog;8107345]Maybe between Cambodia and VCI they were merely "friendly" competition to each other, and then by stealing the Irirs Lara broke their relationship for the sake of the artifact. After all, what would Lara choose, the Irirs or a friendship ? :p[/QUOTE]

If I had to throw a bone, I'd guess before VCI as well, they happened to end up on some dig together and either they didn't completely hate each other at the time or put it aside for a photo.[/QUOTE]

Well it looks like that Lara's purpose was to GO AFTER the Iris artifact so she'll just store it right inside of her own storage room where she have stored all the rest of the artifacts she have found before already

Samz 07-07-19 20:19

[QUOTE=TRExpertgamer;8107534]Well it looks like that Lara's purpose was to GO AFTER the Iris artifact so she'll just store it right inside of her own storage room where she have stored all the rest of the artifacts she have found before already[/QUOTE]

Yeah I know.

But if they were still friends she wouldn't be fine with shooting his employees.

TRExpertgamer 07-07-19 21:28

[QUOTE=Samz;8107567]Yeah I know.

But if they were still friends she wouldn't be fine with shooting his employees.[/QUOTE]

That's right!! :cool: