www.tombraiderforums.com

www.tombraiderforums.com (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/index.php)
-   Shadow of the Tomb Raider (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=59)
-   -   Shadow of the Tomb Raider - General Chat (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=219557)

Vaskito 21-03-18 08:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tombraider95 (Post 7840478)
Me too. I'm curious but not setting my hopes high. I just want them to take more risks rather than play it safe with Lara, gameplay, story etc...

Play it safe? What is playing it safe for you, on the reboot era?

dcw123 21-03-18 09:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vaskito (Post 7840482)
Play it safe? What is playing it safe for you, on the reboot era?

I can't tell if your joking ir being serious?
Pretty much everything in 2013 played it safe..

Easy OPTIONAL tomb puzzles, generic cover shooting, RPG upgrade trees and Ubisoft style collecting rubbish in massive empty hubs.
It was too similar to other games like AC, Uncharted, Horizon Zero Dawn, Watchdogs etc

Rise got a little better but Crystal still played safe by holding back on the darker storyline..
They - like many developers - do not take risks and be different because they want sales and don't want to lose money.

This is why Reboot sold so well... it was so generic.
Just like Resident Evil 5 - highest selling RE game - all because it was a COD ripoff full of action OTT.
Oh and both were full of QTE too.

I hope the new team take more risk, try different ideas and make TR unique again.
I'd love actual swimming in this one. Just swimming on the surface in Rise was horrible... I always wanted to explore properly like in Classics and LAU.

As for that Youtube comparison video... I hate how all the younger kids except 2 slagged off TR1 and were so wowed by Rise's simplistic QTE gameplay
All coz it looks pretty.
Coz games are all about the graphics and not gameplay
Games need to get the balance right.. be fun again.
Crash Bandicoot remake was awesome!
Fun, enjoyable and challenging for those who want a challenge... no QTEs, no paid DLC lootboxes etc.. and its fun.

2001LC20 21-03-18 09:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by dcw123 (Post 7840494)
I can't tell if your joking ir being serious?
Pretty much everything in 2013 played it safe..

Easy OPTIONAL tomb puzzles, generic cover shooting, RPG upgrade trees and Ubisoft style collecting rubbish in massive empty hubs.
It was too similar to other games like AC, Uncharted, Horizon Zero Dawn, Watchdogs etc

Rise got a little better but Crystal still played safe by holding back on the darker storyline..
They - like many developers - do not take risks and be different because they want sales and don't want to lose money.

This is why Reboot sold so well... it was so generic.
Just like Resident Evil 5 - highest selling RE game - all because it was a COD ripoff full of action OTT.

I hope the new team take more risk, try different ideas and make TR unique again.
I'd love actual swimming in this one. Just swimming on the surface in Rise was horrible... I always wanted to explore properly like in Classics and LAU.

You are the one actually joking but i don't want to argue that :D

Mickybyrne20 21-03-18 09:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by dcw123 (Post 7840494)
I can't tell if your joking
Just like Resident Evil 5 - highest selling RE game - all because it was a COD ripoff full of action OTT.

That's a bit of a stretch. Sure, it was more of an action game, but it tried to replicate RE4's formula.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dcw123 (Post 7840494)

Easy OPTIONAL tomb puzzles, generic cover shooting, RPG upgrade trees and Ubisoft style collecting rubbish in massive empty hubs.
It was too similar to other games like AC, Uncharted, Horizon Zero Dawn, Watchdogs etc

I can agree with that, although 2013 reboot came out before those all accept maybe AC.

dcw123 21-03-18 09:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mickybyrne20 (Post 7840499)
That's a bit of a stretch. Sure, it was more of an action game, but it tried to replicate RE4's formula.

But it didn't...

Originally it would have ( Chris being alone, no co-op etc)
Then all the racist stuff kicked off and they had to pander to critics..
RE4 at least had the horror - RE5 was far more action than horror..
Yeah it was a fun game - but didn't feel very RE to many including me..
Thats why they added Leons campaign in RE6..
Although even that was pretty bad.. hence why 7 was made.

Back to Tomb Raider - I found collecting all the stuff boring.. it was all just lying around randomly.
I would rather have 10 secrets really well hidden and hard to find.. than 50 just there on the floor.
Surely people agree with that?
Even of they did the Legend thing - some easy, medium and hardest ones to find.

2001LC20 21-03-18 09:46

I would suggest you all to talk about TR 2013 and Rise in another thread :)

Tombraider95 21-03-18 09:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by dcw123 (Post 7840494)
I can't tell if your joking ir being serious?
Pretty much everything in 2013 played it safe..

Easy OPTIONAL tomb puzzles, generic cover shooting, RPG upgrade trees and Ubisoft style collecting rubbish in massive empty hubs.
It was too similar to other games like AC, Uncharted, Horizon Zero Dawn, Watchdogs etc

Rise got a little better but Crystal still played safe by holding back on the darker storyline..
They - like many developers - do not take risks and be different because they want sales and don't want to lose money.

This is why Reboot sold so well... it was so generic.

Pretty much. I just want them to take some risks to make me think "well I wasn't expecting that". Make Lara more of an interesting character for example or more unique gameplay that doesn't involve the upgrade system. Take risks with the storyline rather than it be predictable. Will help the game stand out on it's own rather than following the straight narrow path of the previous games.

dcw123 21-03-18 09:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tombraider95 (Post 7840505)
Pretty much. I just want them to take some risks to make me think "well I wasn't expecting that". Make Lara more of an interesting character for example or more unique gameplay that doesn't involve the upgrade system. Take risks with the storyline rather than it be predictable. Will help the game stand out on it's own rather than following the straight narrow path of the previous games.

Glad somene agrees.. I can almost predict what is gonna happen in Shadow.
Lara has all her gear, then falls down a cliff and yet again loses all her stuff. She had to find a bow etc etc

Surely they won't do that again - they need to have her start with basic skills and weapons..
The fact she has to relearn skills she had before is dumb and purely an excuse for collecting tatt and upgrading

Vaskito 21-03-18 10:08

Oh lol! TR2013 onwards was playing it safe? You HAVE to be joking!!!!
Tomb Raider 1996 - Tomb Raider Chronicles - EXACT same gameplay, which lead the game to its demise. In all of those games, there's a powerful artifact a bad guy wants, and Lara has to stop them. In the process she also gets caught, loses her weapons, has to find na escape and get them back.

TRAOD, good story potential. wasted on a horrible game gameplay wise.

LAU kinda the same with better graphics, and more acrobatic moves (and please mind, I LOVE this era)

Reboot they actually make the games violent, with cinematic gameplay, they don't have any issues to get Lara injured, she comes really close to death multiple times, unlike any previous games, all the while with actions and events that affect her emotionally, and after all the crap, she still finds the will to keep going. They make Lara Croft relatable, and emotional - something people who played TR until then were not familiar with. Playing it safe you say...

Tombs being optional is taking a new turn on a 22 year old franchise, which spent 15 of them doing the same over and over (except for AOD). I can agree and understand your issue with this, and that you would like Tombs to be mandatory, and complex (something that doesn't bother me, as I find the story and cinematic gameplay, with climaxes way more interesting that being stuck at a Tomb for 10 minutes), but that's about it. It's the only thing in your statements that I can understand, somehow, even though it's a welcome change to me.

Patrick star 21-03-18 10:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by dcw123 (Post 7840494)
I can't tell if your joking ir being serious?
Pretty much everything in 2013 played it safe..

Easy OPTIONAL tomb puzzles, generic cover shooting, RPG upgrade trees and Ubisoft style collecting rubbish in massive empty hubs.
It was too similar to other games like AC, Uncharted, Horizon Zero Dawn, Watchdogs etc
.

Sure , the reboot was so similar to HZD which came 3 years after it :vlol: therefore I guess the opposite is true .

I agree that the reboot played it safe in many parts , nobody can deny that , but to constantly say that it sold well only because "it was two generic" is a bit of a disparagement imo , many "generic games" are flopping hard , both critically and commercially , but TR2013 was a well-made exciting game with top quality , and there are some aspects in the game that were far from safe , like adjustments to Lara's character for instance . The reboot followed some popular trends , again no one can deny that , but to be honest , none of these trends felt shoehorned into the game or out of place (except maybe the NPCs missions but that's in Rise) , everything felt so fitting for the concept of tomb raiding imo .

TR2013 and UC are similar ? sure , they both are action adventure games about treasure hunting , and UC inspired TR to be cinematic with high production values , but other than that ? I don't think they could be any more different .

Lastly , I'm struggling to understand how can someone call the reboot generic when most of their posts are filled with stuff like "I want X in the next game to be like UC's X" , the reboot games already have a level of generic nature , do you want them to be even more generic ? ;)

Plus , it contradicts most of what you said about wanting TR to be different from other games , UC included .


All times are GMT. The time now is 00:23.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.