www.tombraiderforums.com

www.tombraiderforums.com (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/index.php)
-   Shadow of the Tomb Raider (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=59)
-   -   Shadow of the Tomb Raider - General Chat (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=219557)

dcw123 21-03-18 10:22

LOL I guess I just don't know what TR even is meant to be anymore..
Like any long running series - you have fans who like the old games and those who like the new.

I guess what I am trying to say is - if they could get a 50/50 hybrid.
Maybe add key items and inventory (similar to gear to unlock new areas) but make them manditory to progress (like rise's Blood Ties)
Make tombs bigger and included on the main path.
Rather than one room as a tomb - have an entire level set in one instead.
Again - Rise got better at this.. the ice cave was pretty awesome.

I even recently bought Rise again for PS4 and am trying to just enjoy it for what it is..
Classics will always be iconic to me though

Vaskito 21-03-18 10:27

The issue with tombs being mandatory, and on the main path, it that it has to make sense from a story point of view, and not just be there for no reason, like the classic games. Today's games are way more story-driven, and gameplay has to make sense to match the story being told. Also, the origin story arc is about Lara Croft developing into the Tomb Raider...

The classic games were amazing in their own time, but their formula stopped working by Chronicles. LAU tried to pick up on that same formula, with modern gameplay, and as you know, it wasn't too sucessfull (exept for Legend). TR2013 is the game that finnally brought the game to its former glory, reaching multitudes of new (and old) Tomb Raider gamers. It outsold any previous iteration by miles, and got awarded for its content (story, graphics, technology,, etc)

Tombraider95 21-03-18 10:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vaskito (Post 7840509)
Tomb Raider 1996 - Tomb Raider Chronicles - EXACT same gameplay, which lead the game to its demise. In all of those games, there's a powerful artifact a bad guy wants, and Lara has to stop them. In the process she also gets caught, loses her weapons, has to find na escape and get them back.

I wouldn't blame the Reboot series for doing this if they were pumped out year after year, but they're not. TR4 actually brought a lot of new gameplay to the series which is very logically. The stories back then also weren't that important compared to the cinematic approach the Reboot has now. I'm all for Lara losing her weapons and getting them back, but not from the start so she can build up her skills once again.

Tomb Raider was quite unique back then, so why would they take any huge risks (aod) that could ruin them. Tomb Raider now could be more unique than it currently is imo.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dcw123 (Post 7840515)
LOL I guess I just don't know what TR even is meant to be anymore..
Like any long running series - you have fans who like the old games and those who like the new.

I guess what I am trying to say is - if they could get a 50/50 hybrid.
Maybe add key items and inventory (similar to gear to unlock new areas) but make them manditory to progress (like rise's Blood Ties)
Make tombs bigger and included on the main path.
Rather than one room as a tomb - have an entire level set in one instead.

We can only dream! We shall see in April!

biscuits 21-03-18 10:40

Saying that the Tomb Raider reboot only succeeded because it was generic is a huge disservice to everyone that worked on the game. It's even more baffling when those very same people turn around and state that Tomb Raider should take notes from Uncharted, which has insultingly simple gameplay. It also started the cinematic game trend and is a perfect example of developers prioritizing graphics over gameplay. Just look at its brain dead platforming.

I do agree with some of you about Rise being too safe. As much as I love the game, it failed to evolve anything laid down by TR2013 and just made things bigger without adding anything unique or interesting. I hope they took more risks with Shadow.

Vaskito 21-03-18 10:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tombraider95 (Post 7840520)
I wouldn't blame the Reboot series for doing this if they were pumped out year after year, but they're not. TR4 actually brought a lot of new gameplay to the series which is very logically. The stories back then also weren't that important compared to the cinematic approach the Reboot has now. I'm all for Lara losing her weapons and getting them back, but not from the start so she can build up her skills once again.

Tomb Raider was quite unique back then, so why would they take any huge risks (aod) that could ruin them. Tomb Raider now could be more unique than it currently is imo.

TR4 was amazing, but besides a little thing here and there, it was still the same gameplay as the previous three...
Yes, the stories weren't as important, which is why there were many tombs and challenges with no real purpose besides gameplay

TR was unique yes, but it barely had any competition. Its formula wouldn't work today, and the game needs to keep it fresh to what the general audience wants. It can't cater the few portion of people who want it classic-like, when the general audience is expecting something modern. They have to make it modern so the franchise survives. It's as simple as that.

Also, CD/SE/EM themselves are stating she's becoming the TOMB RAIDER with SOTTR story, so who knows, maybe the game after she will become again the Lara you guys want, in a modernized way

johnanonymouz 21-03-18 10:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vaskito (Post 7840524)
TR was unique yes, but it barely had any competition. Its formula wouldn't work today, and the game needs to keep it fresh to what the general audience wants. It can't cater the few portion of people who want it classic-like, when the general audience is expecting something modern. They have to make it modern so the franchise survives. It's as simple as that.

i agree so much with this.

FanosCroft 21-03-18 10:52

The Last Of Us II leaks said that the game is already being tested and ND will suprise fans with an announcement release date for this year. Could this damage SOTTR sales?

Mickybyrne20 21-03-18 10:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by FanosCroft (Post 7840532)
The Last Of Us II leaks said that the game is already being tested and ND will suprise fans with an announcement release date for this year. Could this damage SOTTR sales?

The Last of Us might be released later this year, meaning just before Christmas. I doubt it'll be near Tomb Raider's release.

Vaskito 21-03-18 10:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnanonymouz (Post 7840529)
i agree so much with this.

I mean, IMO that's what they did with LAU. They tried to keep it classic-like, with modern gameplay, and we all know how it turned out, unfortunately

johnanonymouz 21-03-18 10:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by FanosCroft (Post 7840532)
The Last Of Us II leaks said that the game is already being tested and ND will suprise fans with an announcement release date for this year. Could this damage SOTTR sales?

imagine if they release it on September 14th :p


All times are GMT. The time now is 01:02.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.