www.tombraiderforums.com

www.tombraiderforums.com (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/index.php)
-   Shadow of the Tomb Raider (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=59)
-   -   Shadow of the Tomb Raider - General Chat (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=219557)

Patrick star 21-03-18 19:25

People were really hard on TRU's Mexico imo . It was completely awesome and oozed with atmosphere imo . People say it was very grey but Mayan ruins ARE grey , what can they do ?

Yeauxleaux 21-03-18 19:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick star (Post 7840966)
People were really hard on TRU's Mexico imo . It was completely awesome and oozed with atmosphere imo . People say it was very grey but Mayan ruins ARE grey , what can they do ?

I think how washed-out the green and brown jungle-tones looked didn't help. I do also think that sometimes, you just have to let realism take the L and use some creative liberty to liven things up. Inside Xibalba they could have played up the idea that some more colorful interiors had somehow survived relatively intact. They don't have to go as jarring as TR1's Tomb of Qualopec, but something along those lines a little bit to break up the grey. Is that realistic? No, but it sure as hell looks more appealing and iconic. Tbh if you can have giant grey tarantulas running around after you, you can have some faded red or orange tapestries and feature walls.

I get the want for realism, it's nice to have a game grounded in logic, but the problem is when we go so hard with "realism" that it just all looks so bleak and unappealing.

I think there was also criticism for the traps and puzzles being too easy, but that was a complaint across the board for LAU.

Mikky 21-03-18 19:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yeauxleaux (Post 7840963)
Risks is the word. I'm bored with everything being so formulaic, not creative and dumbed down. I feel like so many things (on a wider scale) have had all originality and flare sucked out of them the last few years. Give us something new and jarringly different, not trying to conform to what's trendy or "socially acceptable".

I'm not sure who you are or where you came from, but I've noticed recently that I agree with a lot that you say. Forum needs more people like you. :D

WWETombRaider 21-03-18 19:36

Any word on that new puzzle? It's been like a day since we completed the first one.

Yeauxleaux 21-03-18 19:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikky (Post 7840978)
I'm not sure who you are or where you came from, but I've noticed recently that I agree with a lot that you say. Forum needs more people like you. :D

Awww thank you x

Haha I've been around a while but I haven't frequented the game forums without any fresh information, until now. I'm happy some people feel the same, I feel vindicated on that rare occasion someone else shares many similar opinions haha

Patrick star 21-03-18 19:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yeauxleaux (Post 7840974)
I think how washed-out the green and brown jungle-tones looked didn't help.

I disagree tbh . For a jungle in the middle of a rainstorm , the green was pretty good , especially when merged with the blue-ish night sky .

Quote:

Inside Xibalba they could have played up the idea that some more colorful interiors had somehow survived relatively intact. They don't have to go as jarring as TR1's Tomb of Qualopec, but something along those lines a little bit to break up the grey. Is that realistic? No, but it sure as hell looks more appealing and iconic. Tbh if you can have giant grey tarantulas running around after you, you can have some faded red or orange tapestries and feature walls.
Well , if we're talking about the interior of Xibalba , then I agree with you . But I guess they were going for a dark , sinister and scary atmosphere , kinda like Labyrinth from TR5 , which was amazing and worked for me .

Personally , I'm not against realism . At times , I'd easily pick it over outlandish approaches (glares disgustingly at TR1's Tomb of Qualopec) .

NoahCrofRaider 21-03-18 19:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick star (Post 7840990)
Personally , I'm not against realism . At times , I'd easily pick it over outlandish approaches (glares disgustingly at TR1's Tomb of Qualopec) .

:pi: But, but, Tomb of Qualopec... Why? I disagree is all, I guess. :p

Regarding Southern Mexico in Underworld, that level is, by far, one of my most favorite TR levels ever. Hope we get something more of that in Shadow.

dcw123 21-03-18 20:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick star (Post 7840949)
What ? she was a full blown magnet in LAU :confused:.

You didn't read what I said did you?

I am not talking about ledge magnetism (jumping and grabbing)

I am talking about running or walking or rolling off edges and platforms. LAU and classics Lara would run over and fall.. occassionally turning and safety grabbing (AOD had this)

Rise however WILL NOT allow you to even do this.. try it out.
She runs into invisible barriers and the only way you can fall off is to jump.
I never noticed before because I always jumped before the edge.. but having Lara look like she's on a treadmill looks unrealistic.. to say they strive for realism everywhere else.
Stip handholding and babysitting us Crystal for fear of less sales

As for colour palette - I prefer interesting colours - even of its unrealistic..
Look.at TR1 and TRA Egypt - TR1 is beautiful browns, yellows etc..
TRA is all grey grey and more grey..

Uncharted uses realistic textures yet bumps the colour to look almost surreal - I like this approach. Its kind of what Core did for TR1 - 5

Rise got better at this in places, mainly towards the tombs in the end.

Yeauxleaux 21-03-18 20:15

I really enjoyed Underworld's Mexico too (in spite of the spiders, which I'm terrified of). I love the two "halves" of it outside and inside Xibalba. I do think it was a little bit grey inside but it wasn't as bad as later levels.

I think for coloured ruins, Thailand really got it right. I'm not talking about the lush green of the nature (which was lovely). I mean that the ruins had all shades of greys and browns, green, some subtle oranges and yellows. It wasn't monotone.

dcw123 21-03-18 20:22

Thailand IMO is one of my favorite TR levels that crystal has made so far...
It shows they CAN do good when they want to..
It had the puzzles, colour, platforming and a pretty location.
And then there is the music - that tune which plays when Lara reaches the temple was breathtaking.. really took me back to the classic feel.
The fact it was all animals and no human enemies perhaps helped also - waves of humans got boring

Hopefully this stuff can seep into Shadow - free climbing without the axe in parts would be a nice return