Tomb Raider Forums

Tomb Raider Forums (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/index.php)
-   Software Development (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=55)
-   -   Meta2tr update. (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=135733)

Barry Matharoo 20-07-10 09:41

i get a bug when i convert objects in fbx convertor
i export google sketchup file into goggle earth then rename it to zip and extract the file
but when i convert the file to fbx
the filesize is too small
[IMG]http://img834.imageshack.us/img834/2116/44710711.jpg[/IMG]
why is this happening??????????

psiko 20-07-10 10:41

is there a chance to convert it as obj? it is much more flexible and you can handle with a lot of 3d programs...

meta2tr 20-07-10 11:57

Well yes you do convert to FBX first, then from FBX to OBJ, but some sketchup models don't convert.

psiko 20-07-10 12:43

is the source file a dae file? if yes, I can try a conversion inside 3dsmax.. you could send it to me at (thank you, email isn't yet arrived..)

Barry Matharoo 20-07-10 12:53

mail sent
u can remove the email id from post

psiko 20-07-10 13:03

Received, and I replied... waiting for your answer :)

Po Yu 20-07-10 20:32

Meta2tr is really a cool way to make level, it's almost like another level editor but we set Collision, lighting and puzzle, and prepare texture first on TRLE, then work in Meta to give it graph.

I have an idea about the Collision Brick Objects, maybe we can use texture like this for thos collision brick objects, so that it can remind us ingame which part we put collision but no objects yet. and just simply replace the texture as pink texture after you add all mesh into room mesh.

[IMG]http://img571.imageshack.us/img571/2183/13598498.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://img834.imageshack.us/img834/6796/93491097.jpg[/IMG]

ggctuk 20-07-10 21:41

I'm curious as to how UVMapping an object might work. Would you be able to then extract that UVMapping to WAD format using the original texture format?

meta2tr 21-07-10 10:36

[QUOTE=Po Yu;4761122]Meta2tr is really a cool way to make level, it's almost like another level editor but we set Collision, lighting and puzzle, and prepare texture first on TRLE, then work in Meta to give it graph.

I have an idea about the Collision Brick Objects, maybe we can use texture like this for thos collision brick objects, so that it can remind us ingame which part we put collision but no objects yet. and just simply replace the texture as pink texture after you add all mesh into room mesh.

[IMG]http://img571.imageshack.us/img571/2183/13598498.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://img834.imageshack.us/img834/6796/93491097.jpg[/IMG][/QUOTE]

You are right ;)

meta2tr 21-07-10 11:04

[QUOTE=ggctuk;4761340]I'm curious as to how UVMapping an object might work. Would you be able to then extract that UVMapping to WAD format using the original texture format?[/QUOTE]

Yes, it is technically possible. Each face on the object would become a single rectangular polygon on the uv map, and the tile pixels for each face are re-projected to correspond with the new uv polygon shape. This has some advantages:
- it's easier to manage objects, that is, the wad is the reference for both the mechanics and for the visual appearance (whereas with meta2tr, the mechanics stay in the Wad and the appearance is in the 3ds max or Metasequoia files)
- the object is somewhat "protected", ie because the new uv map is "discontinuous", so you can't intuitively repaint the tile.
There are also some disadvantages:
- the increase of the tile area: Because no two faces on the object will be exactly the same, uv polygon reuse is limited, basically, this increases the number of uv polygons and therefore the pixel area needed. This would reduce the maximum number of objects you could have in the level
- the game will lag more: the increase in pixel area required for the object means that more pixels must be transformed to 3d space (I've seen this problem in my tests).
But it is indeed possible to do. It seems that all modern games use real uv mapping, I suppose it is for disk space efficiency and performance reasons.

TR-Freak 21-07-10 16:03

it would be great to get the textures into the wad:o

sapper 22-07-10 01:00

I used meta2tr to export one of my test levels and it found that I had changed the meshtree for Lara's scream head moveable (I had forgotten I had removed all pops and pushes) so it said it would not export Lara which is supposed to happen I guess but it did not export any of the other moveables either.

The MoveAll.mqo only contained materials is this what is supposed to happen?

And a minor thing, I think your Lara has her feet on the wrong legs.

meta2tr 22-07-10 05:59

[QUOTE=sapper;4764651]I used meta2tr to export one of my test levels and it found that I had changed the meshtree for Lara's scream head moveable (I had forgotten I had removed all pops and pushes) so it said it would not export Lara which is supposed to happen I guess but it did not export any of the other moveables either.

And a minor thing, I think your Lara has her feet on the wrong legs.[/QUOTE]

Hi Sapper, thanks for the feedback, will check.

meta2tr 22-07-10 06:05

So the mesh tree for LARA_SCREAM can be different from LARA's, and the level still works? I didn't know this...

sapper 22-07-10 14:24

Removing all meshtree pops and pushes of the Lara object and scream object has no effect in game.
Changing the offsets in the Lara object will move the meshes in game but Lara is unchanged really. Cain's tall Lara can only reach ledges the same as normal Lara.

Changing the offsets in scream has no effect either. I set them all to 0.
All the engine wants from the scream slot is mesh14 it seems.

I think changing the meshtree and offsets for some of the weapon slots had no effect either.

If you clear the joints to stop the engine crashing, removing all pops and pushes and setting the offsets to 0 for the skin has no effect in game either.

I notice that if you use the polygon option when vertex colouring in Meta that when you import back into the TR4 the object is flat shaded. I didn't know that you could have flat and smooth with internal lighting too.

meta2tr 22-07-10 18:26

[QUOTE=sapper;4764651]I used meta2tr to export one of my test levels and it found that I had changed the meshtree for Lara's scream head moveable (I had forgotten I had removed all pops and pushes) so it said it would not export Lara which is supposed to happen I guess but it did not export any of the other moveables either.

[/QUOTE]

The answer to your question is no, you should have had all the other movables in MoveAll. I tested this. I created a no push no pop mesh tree for just the scream object (one long chain), and indeed, the game runs fine, and when I exported a got the following warnings:
[CODE]
META2TR Version 5
For all features, use with Metasequoia 2.5 beta 16 or later.

Opening level C:\Program Files\Core Design\trle\data\Tr4FilesForTests\karnakTEST.tr4...
Allocating meshes...
Allocating texture list...
Textures in memory.
Writing all rooms and portals to RoomAll.mqo...
Exporting movable meshes to MoveAll.mqo...
LARA not exported, not all Lara objects had the usual tree
PISTOLS_ANIM not exported, not all Lara objects had the usual tree
UZI_ANIM not exported, not all Lara objects had the usual tree
SHOTGUN_ANIM not exported, not all Lara objects had the usual tree
CROSSBOW_ANIM not exported, not all Lara objects had the usual tree
GRENADE_GUN_ANIM not exported, not all Lara objects had the usual tree
SIXSHOOTER_ANIM not exported, not all Lara objects had the usual tree
FLARE_ANIM not exported, not all Lara objects had the usual tree
LARA_SKIN not exported, not all Lara objects had the usual tree
LARA_SKIN_JOINTS not exported, not all Lara objects had the usual tree
LARA_SCREAM not exported, not all Lara objects had the usual tree
LARA_CROSSBOW_LASER not exported, not all Lara objects had the usual tree
LARA_REVOLVER_LASER not exported, not all Lara objects had the usual tree
LARA_HOLSTERS not exported, not all Lara objects had the usual tree
LARA_HOLSTERS_PISTOLS not exported, not all Lara objects had the usual tree
LARA_HOLSTERS_UZIS not exported, not all Lara objects had the usual tree
LARA_HOLSTERS_SIXSHOOTER not exported, not all Lara objects had the usual tree
- exporting HAIR(1/6). This mesh is externally lit.
- exporting HAIR(2/6). This mesh is externally lit.
- exporting HAIR(3/6). This mesh is externally lit.
etc etc etc
[/CODE]
then all the other movables were exported.
[IMG]http://img42.imageshack.us/img42/8493/meshtreetest.gif[/IMG]

So I don't yet understand what happened with your test level, perhaps you could tell me more or pm me a link?

meta2tr 22-07-10 18:36

[QUOTE=sapper;4765698]Removing all meshtree pops and pushes of the Lara object and scream object has no effect in game.
Changing the offsets in the Lara object will move the meshes in game but Lara is unchanged really. Cain's tall Lara can only reach ledges the same as normal Lara.

Changing the offsets in scream has no effect either. I set them all to 0.
All the engine wants from the scream slot is mesh14 it seems.

I think changing the meshtree and offsets for some of the weapon slots had no effect either.

If you clear the joints to stop the engine crashing, removing all pops and pushes and setting the offsets to 0 for the skin has no effect in game either.
[/QUOTE]
So the mesh tree push pop structure is hard coded! I didn't know this.

[QUOTE=sapper;4765698]
I notice that if you use the polygon option when vertex colouring in Meta that when you import back into the TR4 the object is flat shaded. I didn't know that you could have flat and smooth with internal lighting too.[/QUOTE]

Well, actually, it can't :). Just like for Room meshes, I create new vertices having the same position, when the vertex shade values are different. So "hard edge lighting" is possible. I could have done the same for shiny faces, ie if the angle between two faces is greater than say 60°, create new vertices to have a discontinuity in the normals.

sapper 23-07-10 01:05

[QUOTE=meta2tr;4766304]
So I don't yet understand what happened with your test level, perhaps you could tell me more or pm me a link?[/QUOTE]

May have been something else in my level then (or PC).
Meta2tr stopped printing to the console though after printing the message about Lara.
If I've still got it I'll PM a link to you. My test wads get changed very frequently.

meta2tr 23-07-10 22:18

[QUOTE=sapper;4767458]May have been something else in my level then (or PC).
Meta2tr stopped printing to the console though after printing the message about Lara.
If I've still got it I'll PM a link to you. My test wads get changed very frequently.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the level, it was ok my end
[IMG]http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/8127/testzn.gif[/IMG]

Just after displaying the last message in your report, meta2tr waits for a key press. In fact, it will wait for a key press for all of the Lara objects, in this case. Maybe you thought it had hung and you clicked on the [X] button to force it to close? Doing that does indeed create a Moveall with just the materials.

sapper 24-07-10 01:58

Yes I had assumed it had hung.
Thanks for your help.

Walrus 29-07-10 16:47

I imported a new object and it worked well. Now I tried to import another one using the same steps (adding texture with WADMerger, import the object untextured in STRPix, converted the level etc). But now, when I try to open the MoveAll.mqo file, I get this message:

[IMG]http://i26.************/dbpbuq.jpg[/IMG]

The same also happens on 3ds Max, that crashs.

I tried to delete te texture, the model and everything, it's always the same. How can I get over without lost all the work?

Walrus 29-07-10 17:37

Never mind :p It was an STRPix problem with the great number of meshes of the object (I simply divide it in a multimesh object). The work goes on :D

Titak 03-08-10 11:47

:yik:
There are so many objects in my MoveAll.mqo since I also used the enemie-MIP slots. And I used them all!

I want to try and add them to my rooms as part of the roomgeometry, so, as Po Yu suggested, I can texture the objects I want to make part of the roomgeometry transparant in the MoveAll.mqo.
But I also want to copy the object (since it is all textured already and I don't want to change anything about that) first and paste it in the room(s) I want it in.

But it is hard to find the object in that pile called MoveAll.mqo.
The object I wanted to try first was somewhere in the middle of the pile...
Almost impossible to locate, copy and retexture. :(
Is there a trick I could use?

[B]**** EDIT ****[/B]
Nevermind. Forumeffect kicked in... :rolleyes:
I'm now making the objects I don't want to edit invisible by clicking on the "eye" button in the objectpanel. :D

Btw, are only the objects placed in the prj exported to either the MoveAll.mqo or the seperate statics?

psiko 03-08-10 12:48

using transparent textured objects works but it is a variation of the method I am already using, which is still better.
I use fake objects with a basic geometry remembering the mqo geometry, and textured with one "fake" texture (or their main texture in case they use a own texture tile). This method works both if you are at the beginning of the level, either if you have a level in an advanced state of building.

[IMG]http://a.imageshack.us/img375/1042/trle03red01.jpg[/IMG]

The difference is only that in an advanced-state-of-building level, you should have to keep as "constant tiles" even some of the objects tiles, preferably big textures tiles. I am using as constant tiles, 97 files (64 in the tga, 33 from the wad and they are 256x256 bmp files, but not all were tile of 256x256, but composed by different textures, as you can see here [URL]http://a.imageshack.us/img375/7948/tile046.jpg[/URL] ) But I use 127 tiles at all, so the remaining 30 tiles are normal objects texture tiles which may vary. (I am going to use the 128th soon, the last one possible).

Then, in the moveall.mqo, all the objects have their name on, so it should be easy to find them.

maybe, if you have problems in finding them, there could be the chance you are using an early version of metasequoia which does not have the mesh tree feature... just suggesting.. Anyhow, I did split my moveall.mqo file into many separated files (with the objects I substitute each time) so I can control them better :)

psiko 03-08-10 13:06

then, if you use fake objects only for the collision, I suppose those must be "insivible in game": you can still use the fake texture and fake simplier geometry in order to recognize them in ngle, but once exported with meta2tr, you can edit them singularly and delete all the useless polygons, so you earn many resources :) just leave a triangle purple textured in the mqo collector file.

Titak 03-08-10 14:49

Thanks for this info, psiko! :tmb:
es, my problem is actually that the levels are basically finished now so all stuff has been placed already and has been textured in Strpix. The texturing is not something I want to change since it looks good enough already. Well, in the manor anyway.

[B]I have another question:[/B]
When I want to join vertices a message "Two vertices aren't selected in the object". I also get this message a lot when copying and pasting objects when working with dxf files but then I save the object and reopen it. This makes it all one object so vertices of two different objects can be joined.
However, this trick does not seem to work with the mqo.
I'm sure there's a way to combine objects to one, but I don't know how to do this...
And, related to the above I think, how do I make the objects part of the room geometry? Because now I have new objects in the list with rooms in the RoomAll.mqo which shouldn't be there I think. :o

psiko 03-08-10 15:17

for the first question, make the objects visible, click on the MISC button and then "merge all visible" so you can weild vertices superposed...

For the second question, I partially answered in the previous post..
As your objects use wad textures, they could use textures from different tiles (example: tile056 and tile079) so in the beginning they could appear hard for the meta2tr use... but you can easily add them to the room geometry (with copy'n'paste in their position) if their little textures (or even big) can be easily located and used as "complete" tiles of 256x256 pixels and can be made "constant" in the backup tile folder.

Then, if you want to backup for example 30 static objects at once, make all their textures as "constant" in the backup folder and put all those objects visible in a single mqo file, but be carefull that no other object is using those tiles you keep constant, or in further updates you'll create a mess on not-mqo objects.. (this is true even for room geometry if you import statics in the roomall.mqo file).

I have many mqo files, but for example in a single mqo file I have something like 60 static objects with constant texture tiles, and I import it in just a single shot with dragging and dropping into the meta2tr program.

It seems wierd and strange in the beginning, but once tried, you'll learn the method easily, expecially when you see it works :)
The main thing is to keep in the backup folder all what you want to be kept "constant" in any other further editing you do in the level.. rooms, textures, statics and moveables :)

meta2tr 03-08-10 15:22

[QUOTE=Titak;4792141]Thanks for this info, psiko! :tmb:
es, my problem is actually that the levels are basically finished now so all stuff has been placed already and has been textured in Strpix. The texturing is not something I want to change since it looks good enough already. Well, in the manor anyway.

[B]I have another question:[/B]
When I want to join vertices a message "Two vertices aren't selected in the object". I also get this message a lot when copying and pasting objects when working with dxf files but then I save the object and reopen it. This makes it all one object so vertices of two different objects can be joined.
However, this trick does not seem to work with the mqo.
I'm sure there's a way to combine objects to one, but I don't know how to do this...
And, related to the above I think, how do I make the objects part of the room geometry? Because now I have new objects in the list with rooms in the RoomAll.mqo which shouldn't be there I think. :o[/QUOTE]

In the object list on the right hand side, find your plant object, and drag it up or down in the list, and drop it onto the Room object (be careful not to drop it onto a portal). It will then be integrated into the room object. You will then be able to join vertices.

BTW, there is a command for aligning vertices when they are from different objects.

Good luck :)

Titak 03-08-10 16:24

Will try. :D
Thanks for the info guys! :hug:

meta2tr 05-08-10 15:24

[QUOTE=Titak;4791760]
Btw, are only the objects placed in the prj exported to either the MoveAll.mqo or the seperate statics?[/QUOTE]

All of the movables and statics in the WAD are exported, even if they are not on the map.

Titak 05-08-10 15:59

Ah, that's good to know. :D
That might make things easier for me, since the whole level and wad are all finished already.
This way I can take the objects and place them wherever in the map to make them part of the roomgeometry.

disapearing-boy 05-08-10 17:14

I've a question, i noticed in the demo, the character had a moving earing instead of the ponytail. So if i used pigtails on Lara and then changed one pigtail to one of Lara's bangs and the other to Lara's standard braid position, would it work? Cos that'd be awesome!

And how would I go about trying this?:D

psiko 05-08-10 19:17

great idea, I think it will work. You have to move meshes and their pivot, and scale them :) it is written in the guide, you have to move them pressing the "local" button in metasequoia.. "children" check means that you move the depending mesh too, like in a mesh tree editor; "shape" unchecked, you move only the pivots which are the center of rotations for all animations :)

ggctuk 06-08-10 09:52

It would not work as the pigtail object is the same regardless of Young Lara or Old Lara. The engine just draws two of them instead of one.

psiko 06-08-10 19:34

[QUOTE=ggctuk;4798297]It would not work as the pigtail object is the same regardless of Young Lara or Old Lara. The engine just draws two of them instead of one.[/QUOTE]

hooops, that's true, sorry :) :tmb:

disapearing-boy 06-08-10 21:24

Oh, dammit! At least I know now.. Well thanks for replying guys!:)

[B]EDIT;[/B] What if I made the ponytail shorter by using the top 4 meshes for the ponytail and maybe moved the bottom 2 to Lara's face and used them like bangs? Or can the meshes be separated at all? Considering they move together, probably not..

God Horus 06-08-10 21:46

^ Uhmm no this will not work.

meta2tr 11-02-11 20:51

Version 6 is here :)

[url]http://www.mediafire.com/file/r6wr9epvhugopmb/meta2tr_v6.zip[/url]

[B]New features:[/B]

Added a feature that allows Statics and single-meshed movables to be merged into RoomAll.mqo when converting a TR4 file to MQO/BMP. See MapMergeList.txt for more details.

Sprites can be exported, edited and imported. Please note, there are some engine limitations to sprites:
- The uv-polygon has to be a perfect rectangle.
- The transparency flags are hard-coded, some sprites will have transparency, some will not.
- Quite a lot of sprites cannot have any color (if they do, they are invisible in the game).
- Sprites are shared in different effects, for example sprites 1,2,3 in DEFAULT_SPRITES are used for flames, smoke and waterfallmist.

Importing of multiple MQO files in one drag and drop operation is now possible.

Wave movement and moving reflection effects in rooms are exported and imported through vertex weights. These effects can be edited in RoomAll. The meanings of the weight values are:
- 0.1 or 0.3: up and down movement.
- 0.2: reflected light effect

Additional tiles can be imported (for levels with no bump mapping only). If for example your tr4 level contains 20 tiles, meta2tr exports Tile001.bmp to Tile020.bmp. If, during editing, you run out of tiles, you can create a new 256x256 bmp file, name it Tile021.bmp, and drag and drop it onto meta2tr to import it into your level. Instructions will be displayed on how to add this tile to an existing MQO file.

Happy editing :)

matrix54 11-02-11 21:21

I can actually use Meta2tr now :vlol:

I like that you can import statics by writing them down. before I broke everything when using it it. Thanks for that. :wve:

psiko 11-02-11 21:48

meta2tr is the best tool out there :) I will never thank you enough, Meta2tr ^___^ I am going to post an update of my level for Lara's birthday, so that everyone could see only few examples of what can be done with your tool! ^_____^ :jmp: :hug: :tmb: