Tomb Raider Forums

Tomb Raider Forums (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/index.php)
-   Tomb Raider Level Editor (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Opaque79's HD Test Level (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=222999)

Opaque79 22-06-19 21:44

Opaque79's HD Test Level

This was a small test level made with HD assets months ago. I wasn't too fond of the results and it was left aside for a long time.

I decided to post a link to it here for others to try out and share their opinions.
[URL="https://drive.google.com/open?id=1MNSgiQ0cKHLxLQYGdFDh3ITj3YQQdt8f"]Opaque79's HD Test Level[/URL]

It's not much but it's a look at my attempt at a HD level.

Ceamonks890 23-06-19 09:46

As always mate, the general atmosphere and aesthetics of your levels continue to be top notch (even if this one is an abandoned test map). Gameplay however is a bit too simple and quick to finish, but it was a nice way to relax and I didn't feel bored during the 9 minutes spent playing:)

Opaque79 23-06-19 15:39

[QUOTE=Ceamonks890;8103430]As always mate, the general atmosphere and aesthetics of your levels continue to be top notch (even if this one is an abandoned test map). Gameplay however is a bit too simple and quick to finish, but it was a nice way to relax and I didn't feel bored during the 9 minutes spent playing:)[/QUOTE]

Yes. It was abandoned for that reason. I couldn't really do much with it

FantaseaII 24-06-19 18:46

I think now that you had enough practice when it comes to graphics to focus on gameplay, take it easy what do you like the most in TR ? for exemple i love when she do some dangerous jumps and climbing so i add it to my levels ! i love underwater areas i add them, i like to get jump scared by ennemies or to hear them around me i add it etc...

Really you can try to note down all the gameplay stuffs that exist from TR1 to TR5 and pick 3-5 things exemple : crocodile, jeep, rolling ball, flames
And from that DESIGN some 2D maps for exemple just having these elements i already see lara at high speed driving over cliffs with crocodiles everywhere to access a temple with some rolling balls falling in front of her and flames to avoid ! from that just build add more paths see what works and what you think could be better !
It's the key to me... consider the graphics behind all of that don't build to make things pretty build for gameplay :)

Opaque79 24-06-19 20:50

Gameplay is the hardest thing to implement for me for some reason. It's just so hard to come up with original ideas.

Caesum 24-06-19 21:05

One thing you could consider while making your own texture sets is to stop combining textures from completely different areas of the world. In just your level I have seen greek/roman architecture alongside with TRL doors that have either south american or even african ornaments, big monolithic statues that I totally thought at first are Tulum statues from TR1, TRA incan textures, some early-medieval/celtic ornaments and I think I have even seen some objects from TR3 India.

Combining textures is fine for as long as they don't have traits of other culture and/or are not iconic to particular TR level. Otherwise people will see something is off.

Opaque79 24-06-19 21:08

[QUOTE=Caesum;8103831]One thing you could consider while making your own texture sets is to stop combining textures from completely different areas of the world. In just your level I have seen greek/roman architecture alongside with TRL doors that have either south american or even african ornaments, big monolithic statues that I totally thought at first are Tulum statues from TR1, TRA incan textures, some early-medieval/celtic ornaments and I think I have even seen some objects from TR3 India.

Combining textures is fine for as long as they don't have traits of other culture and/or are not iconic to particular TR level. Otherwise people will see something is off.[/QUOTE]

AgentXP has told me the exact same thing in her stream

Caesum 28-06-19 08:01

Yup it breaks the immersion entirely unless it's explained by the story. And even then connecting Mesoamerican ornaments with greek/egyptian architecture is stretching it a bit too far.

I'd suggest you to first decide what kind of environment you want to create and then do a research about the style. If you're not feeling like it then you can just reuse already made classic TR texture sets or try to rip textures from later TR games. In the latter case just remember not to mix them up.

Personally I tend NOT to use any textures from TR games unless they are super generic, like ground textures, rocks etc. Anything that's more unique will be instantly recognized by the TR players and if it doesn't fit the environment it will stick out like a sore thumb.

FantaseaII 28-06-19 17:38

[QUOTE=Opaque79;8103826]Gameplay is the hardest thing to implement for me for some reason. It's just so hard to come up with original ideas.[/QUOTE]

I just gave you a trick, original gameplay doesn't obviously mean "good gameplay" nor it will makes people enjoy it more than others... classic gameplay is already fine and you can do a lot of things with it they did TR4 with only "classic gameplay" yet it have 40 levels... also the engine is limited and even some stuffs that might sound "doable" is not... play other games and take inspiration from them then ask on the forum if it's doable people will help you.

if you 400% want original gameplay then i suggest you to use another engine or to look at psiko's levels hypersquare... original gameplay is mostly based on original classic features...

DJ Full 28-06-19 20:27

Am I allowed to stream this and give you a vod with tips?
I could keep it for the same stream as I declared for Lore's map.