www.tombraiderforums.com

www.tombraiderforums.com (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/index.php)
-   Tomb Editor (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   WadTool - a modern WadMerger and TRViewer replacement (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=223525)

Lwmte 09-10-19 01:00

WadTool - a modern WadMerger and TRViewer replacement
 
I think it's time to present new and revamped revision of another application in TE toolchain - WadTool!

WadTool was made as a replacement for outdated, inconvenient and unstable applications like WadMerger and TRViewer. It should greatly simplify your workflow, for now at least in part of animation importing and editing. Eventually, it will hopefully include functionality of such tools as Strpix and allow you to import multi-mesh models with already applied attributes, such as shiny, blending modes, and so on.

Forthcoming version 1.2.8 was completely reworked, lots of bugs were fixed, and generally WadTool is now stable and useable. Here is the video announcement with all important features covered!


Full changelog for forthcoming version:
  1. Import animations in FBX and COLLADA formats.
  2. Completely overhauled main window
  3. Completely overhauled animation editor:
    • New timeline with selection, dynamic highlight, mouse warping and transport controls.
    • Undo and redo.
    • Realtime sound previews with 3 modes: land, land + material footsteps, water.
    • Realtime animcommand editing.
    • Live preview for in-game animation speed.
    • Selection-based position and translation controls.
    • Simple evolution modes to create basic animations: linear, smooth and symmetric.
    • Batch find & replace animcommands.
    • Chain playback mode (loop through NextAnimation/NextFrame values and state changes).
    • Human-readable animation names and state ID names with ability to search and filter by name.
    • Ability to resample animation.
    • Ability to mirror and reverse animation.
    • Extensive bounding box controls, including mesh-based autogeneration and inflation/deflation.
  4. Added options window.
  5. Fix TR1 levels animation import.
  6. Fix TR1-3 colored faces import.

WadTool 1.2.8 will be available with forthcomint Tomb Editor 1.2.8 which will be released in next few days.

KyleCroft 09-10-19 04:44

Looks excellent!

CelticGuard 09-10-19 06:12

The hype is real! All the features look absolutely amazing. So excited!!

TokyoSU 09-10-19 08:48

This WadTool is really powerfull. when i viewed the new mode (smoothing etc..) i'm literaly view an angel, i know it's not really important since you can already do it in the past with other tool, but last time (maybe year) i used WadMerger and this tool is literaly the hell :hea:, thanks to the team of TombEditor to do this insane work :jmp:

Alex Fly 09-10-19 09:39

Nice! :tmb:

Nemo20 09-10-19 10:23

Is there a plan for Strpix? WAD2 will not be able to load Strpix for sure. So it is unfortunately a little less useful, the somewhere how to texturize the objects.

TokyoSU 09-10-19 10:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nemo20 (Post 8137363)
Is there a plan for Strpix? WAD2 will not be able to load Strpix for sure. So it is unfortunately a little less useful, the somewhere how to texturize the objects.

it's already planned like @Lwmte said in the first post.

Nemo20 09-10-19 10:42

Ah well, I skipped that.
But then for me the WADTool is not yet usable. Too complex to get around this. Since I'm still in the old format.

But i Test ist, when is Released :)

Lwmte 09-10-19 10:56

Yes, unfortunately, texturing/vertex remapping/normals recalculating business, as well as any other face-based or vertex-based editing is a bit complex to implement from the ground up.

For now, workaround for this is you can texture, remap vertices, apply shiny attribs and blending modes etc in strpix, save your wad and import it in WadTool.

Also, there is experimental mesh importing feature which allows importing 3D models with applied shininess and blending mode attributes set in your external 3D app like Blender or 3dsmax, theoretically it should import correctly. But it's not finished, as you can't yet properly import whole multi-mesh model.

Zebra 09-10-19 13:11

This looks really impressive :tmb:! All the features look so well thought out and polished. The infinite scrubbing, the chain playback, the evolution modes,... so cool :jmp:!

Krystian 09-10-19 14:17

Wow, this is really a solid piece of work. Especially on the animation editor, the real-time sound and anim command preview is fantastic! For most TRLE purposes the toolset provided will allow for making very HQ animations already and creating animations in some 3rd party software like 3ds Max may even become obsolete for the most part! :D

I just have one small request for future updates... It would be amazing if you could create a small feature that could aid the animating process. It's just a small tool that creates mirrored versions of animations for objects that have a symmetrical mesh tree structure (so, Lara, for instance). With this implemented it would be perfect! :D

TokyoSU 09-10-19 15:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Krystian (Post 8137439)
Wow, this is really a solid piece of work. Especially on the animation editor, the real-time sound and anim command preview is fantastic! For most TRLE purposes the toolset provided will allow for making very HQ animations already and creating animations in some 3rd party software like 3ds Max may even become obsolete for the most part! :D

I just have one small request for future updates... It would be amazing if you could create a small feature that could aid the animating process. It's just a small tool that creates mirrored versions of animations for objects that have a symmetrical mesh tree structure (so, Lara, for instance). With this implemented it would be perfect! :D

like vehicle/pushblock/kickdoor etc.. that require lara ?
nice idea :D

Krystian 09-10-19 15:41

I was thinking about literally mirroring animations on the X axis so you can easily make a left-sided variant of a right-sided animation, so things like shimmy animations for example. Very small thing but VERY useful to animators ;)

But support for multi-object animating would be another thing on a wishlist, however I imagine this may be harder to implement. It can wait :D

Nemo20 09-10-19 16:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lwmte (Post 8137384)
Yes, unfortunately, texturing/vertex remapping/normals recalculating business, as well as any other face-based or vertex-based editing is a bit complex to implement from the ground up.

For now, workaround for this is you can texture, remap vertices, apply shiny attribs and blending modes etc in strpix, save your wad and import it in WadTool.

Good Idea :tmb:
I definitely test the tool. Possibly. I also like it so much that I like to accept the additional work. Thanks for the great work with TE and the tools.
I love TE. The TE is the reason why i'm build again.

Reggie 09-10-19 16:19

Amazing work. Thank you to you and the rest of the team for helping sustain and advance this community. I look forward to seeing what can be achieved with this!

Letsmakeghost 22-10-19 19:30

Hi all

Does anyone know why I am getting this error when trying to open a level in WAD Tool

Unknown game version 0x633455254

Thank you.

SrDanielPonces 22-10-19 19:40

why do you want to open a level in wadtool? is it yours?

Joey79100 22-10-19 19:56

(what's funny is that it is exactly the same code as in WADMerger)

This is because you're trying to open an encrypted level. That means the author didn't want anyone opening his level, so he encrypted it.

sapper 23-10-19 05:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joey79100 (Post 8143041)
(what's funny is that it is exactly the same code as in WADMerger)

That's because it is the first four bytes of the encrypted TR4 file.

0x63345254 = "TR4c" backwards

Regular TR4 file would be 0x00345254 ie "TR4null".

Letsmakeghost 23-10-19 06:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by sapper (Post 8143179)
That's because it is the first four bytes of the encrypted TR4 file.

0x63345254 = "TR4c" backwards

Regular TR4 file would be 0x00345254 ie "TR4null".


Thank you. I am so new at this. Does one of your tools allow for these levels to be decrptyed so WADS can be extracted? I see your tools listed. Not sure which one to go with.

Thank you

JMN 23-10-19 07:33

Don't be surprised if you're called a thief by some for wanting to do this. You see it's ok to ask for tools to decrypt and rip from other games (apparently getting paid for your creations is fair game), but encrypted custom levels is forbidden.

Titak 23-10-19 08:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Letsmakeghost (Post 8143187)
Thank you. I am so new at this. Does one of your tools allow for these levels to be decrptyed so WADS can be extracted? I see your tools listed. Not sure which one to go with.

Thank you

If it is from a custom level (which it undoubtedly is) you should ask the author of the level if you may use the stuff in the wad. Quite a few builders make their own objects and such from scratch, so it is common courtesy to ask for permission to use it instead of just taking it.
My experience is that most builders will give permission.

Btw, perhaps the stuff you want to use is also available on TR Search Engine.

Letsmakeghost 23-10-19 13:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by JMN (Post 8143202)
Don't be surprised if you're called a thief by some for wanting to do this. You see it's ok to ask for tools to decrypt and rip from other games (apparently getting paid for your creations is fair game), but encrypted custom levels is forbidden.


Understand. I would never have the intention of releasing a level. Just want to have a bit of fun myself 😀

Letsmakeghost 23-10-19 13:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Titak (Post 8143209)
If it is from a custom level (which it undoubtedly is) you should ask the author of the level if you may use the stuff in the wad. Quite a few builders make their own objects and such from scratch, so it is common courtesy to ask for permission to use it instead of just taking it.
My experience is that most builders will give permission.

Btw, perhaps the stuff you want to use is also available on TR Search Engine.

I get you. I understand that a lot of works goes into these levels and would never use something without permission. Thanks

Letsmakeghost 23-10-19 13:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by JMN (Post 8143202)
Don't be surprised if you're called a thief by some for wanting to do this. You see it's ok to ask for tools to decrypt and rip from other games (apparently getting paid for your creations is fair game), but encrypted custom levels is forbidden.

I had no idea. Thanks for the heads up.

Letsmakeghost 23-10-19 14:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Letsmakeghost (Post 8143268)
I get you. I understand that a lot of works goes into these levels and would never use something without permission. Thanks



I just see the stuff I am looking for in the TR Search Engine. Great. Thank you.

Titak 23-10-19 14:19

@ Letsmakeghost:
Quoting myself from the other thread:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Titak (Post 8143040)
@ Letsmakeghost:
Please do not double post like that. It is considered spam on this forum.
Use the "Edit" button instead if you want to add something before someone else has replied.

We also have a multi-quote button (it is the button with the " symbol on it) in case you want to quote multiple posts.

And in this case it is quadruple posting and you even quoted the same post twice...

Please be aware of this because it can earn you infraction points which can then add up to a temporary ban.

DJ Full 02-11-19 22:00

guys guys guys guys guys switched to 1.2.8
how do I rotate stuff in wadtool, I cannot...
EDIT: I mean the view, not the meshes.
It doesn't react to mouse, I can only pan/zoom.

Nicklander 05-11-19 05:26

Canít wait for the StrPix replacement !
The amount of work that went into this is insane, and all of that completely for free... Canít thank you enough for all your investment and creativity. Keep it up ! 👍

Lwmte 06-11-19 00:20

Thanks, I really tried to make new anim editor to look and feel as smooth and modern as possible ;)

@DJ Full: honestly, I have no idea what happens, you mean right mouse button doesn't work at all? Try to delete WadToolConfiguration.xml, it's very unlikely it will help, but still...

DJ Full 06-11-19 05:41

It actually DID help. Now WadTool knows I have a mouse.
You're a wizard, Lwmte. Thank you.

EDIT: One more question... How can I load a wad and save as a .wad?
I mean wad, not wad2, since I'm making a classic pack for both editors.

Lwmte 06-11-19 06:58

It's not possible, because WT natively uses features which are not supported in old wad format (e.g. UV mapping, subpixel texture coordinates, floating-point bone rotations, proper velocity format, etc).

Only workaround is to save wad2, compile a dummy level and re-import objects from tr4 to classic wad via wadmerger or other tool.

DJ Full 06-11-19 08:16

Ah... I thought if I'm using only classic features I can ignore the new format :(
All I need is really a faster editor of the things I did before...

Kubsy 22-11-19 16:19

Hello,

I was trying to import an animation (Faster shimmying by Geckokid) which is a .trw file. However, I couldn't do so because of the error:

https://imgur.com/eyMNhlR

I checked my Tomb Editor folder and I have 4 assimpl.dll files (assimp.dll, assimp32.dll, assimp64.dll and assimpnet.dll)

Or is this an animation problem because it's not supported by other file types?

Nemo20 22-11-19 16:37

TRW format isn't supported at the moment. You must go over WADMerger/AnimEdit.

Make a wad to work, import it. Now you can open this work wad with WADTool, export the animation as "anim" and import in your level wad.
I know, something stupid. Maybe WADTool will eventually support the trw format

Joey79100 22-11-19 17:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kubsy (Post 8154198)
Hello,

I was trying to import an animation (Faster shimmying by Geckokid) which is a .trw file. However, I couldn't do so because of the error:

https://imgur.com/eyMNhlR

I checked my Tomb Editor folder and I have 4 assimpl.dll files (assimp.dll, assimp32.dll, assimp64.dll and assimpnet.dll)

Or is this an animation problem because it's not supported by other file types?

If a format is not in the list of supported formats, it means something... :p

not again! 23-11-19 11:34

I'm trying to figure out the workflow to get original tr4 animations via Blender into the WadTool (mainly for fixing some of the original animations).
The only tool I have found that exports animations in a format that Blender can open is DaroAnimMaker (it exports animations in Milkshape's .ms3d file format which Blender 2.79b can open nicely). There is no plugin for Blender to import .3ds files with animations - it's statics only so far.

My problem now is that an animation as exported from DaroAnimMaker and imported into Blender 2.79b seemingly needs some manual adjustments so it can be imported into WadTool. I've managed to import an animation without error message and the correct number of frames, but the animation itself wont play because according to the logfile the "bones do not have corresponding meshes in the meshtree and will be ignored".

I have renamed the bones following the list one can see in the animation editor on the right side (bone_0_root, bone_1, bone_2, ... etc) but it did not work. ;_;

JMN 23-11-19 12:51

I'm also interested in knowing the animation workflow from WadTool to Blender 2.80 and vice versa.

TokyoSU 23-11-19 13:00

you can use WadTool to create or rework animation since the last version is pretty good for that instead of wadmerger :x,
or you can use 3DSmax for .3ds

Joey79100 23-11-19 13:03

The issue is that for the time being, WADTool has no animation export functionality (apart from its own format). What you can do is export the animation from the level to a .3DS file using TRViewer, the old way. Then you can import animations into WADTool as FBX or DAE (Collada).


All times are GMT. The time now is 01:03.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.